Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the excitement for the Persona 5 and Persona 3 dance games I missed seeing the Asian version of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 finally got Playstation VR support yesterday.

The unlock key for VR mode will be free for only one month, and it seems only owners of a full copy of the game will have the chance to download it for free. The free download can only be started within the game. After selecting VR Paradise on the main menu you'll be able to go to the free download in the PSN store. And make sure you're logged in with your Asian account so the game will go to the proper PSN store.

Speaking of Senran Kagura, Amazon finally put their 20% off pre-order deal on Peach Beach Splash which I had been holding out for a while to see.

With all the excitement for the Persona 5 and Persona 3 dance games I missed seeing the Asian version of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 finally got Playstation VR support yesterday.

The unlock key for VR mode will be free for only one month, and it seems only owners of a full copy of the game will have the chance to download it for free. The free download can only be started within the game. After selecting VR Paradise on the main menu you'll be able to go to the free download in the PSN store. And make sure you're logged in with your Asian account so the game will go to the proper PSN store.
So I need a new Asian PSN account right? I can't use the Japanese PSN one I have? And after I download it, would it work on the US version like DLC does?

Nice! Thanks for the heads up. :) Was not sure if the Asia version was going to get the VR content at all. I should download that unlock key today.

So I need a new Asian PSN account right? I can't use the Japanese PSN one I have? And after I download it, would it work on the US version like DLC does?
You'll need a PSN account that matches the region of your copy of the game. A Japan PSN account wouldn't be able to use this region's dlc.

I used a Hong Kong PSN account to download the VR key, and all the dlc catalogues.

It seems the VR pass will work just like the dlc catalogues. After downloading the VR key with my Hong Kong account I restarted the game with my US account (where I have my DOAX3 collection saved). When I went to VR Paradise it didn't ask me for the VR pass. It went right into VR Paradise, and wanted to set up Playstation VR.

But I don't have Playstation VR. Yet.

the Asian version of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 finally got Playstation VR support yesterday.
Somebody is going to get hurt as a result of this decision.

2keWOAN.gif

Looks like Tales of Berseria PS4 is on sale for $30 at Gamestop, Amazon, and Bestbuy. Wonder if it's another price drop?
that will likely be the last price drop though whether its permanent or not would depend on its sales and how many copies were printed. We all know it will be 20$ during the black friday and such sales though. I'm not really that interested in berseria so I don't think I will be buying it at all.

meanwhile castelvania style haseo with sword whip? yes please ^_^  If I hadn't already preordered that would have gotten me to do so.

I really hope the Female Protagonist from P3 makes it in, she was my favorite character besides Aigis. And I'd love to see her get styled out like the two other protagonists did, I think she'd look great. Also, hope Mitsuru gets an idol costume like Rise did in P4DAN.

This is great news especially given that P3 has one of the best soundtracks of all time. My favorite 3 are, Tranquility, Time, and Soul Phase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V216jD1Ex0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfaPQibemwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjNYJGHB2Ss
conveniently those were some of my favorites.

yea, no physical release of sonic mania kills it for me too. its like im just buying toys with the CE and can't use the excuse its just extras to the videogame.

I'm pretty iffy on the game myself. It looks alright......just don't know how much I want to pay for a mainly multiplayer game (I think there are some single player things but not sure).

I'm pretty iffy on the game myself. It looks alright......just don't know how much I want to pay for a mainly multiplayer game (I think there are some single player things but not sure).
I don't think you'll have to worry about a lack of single player modes in a Senran Kagura game. There was actually an article Supplice posted a few months back detailing all the modes, which included a story, and I think some mission modes. Even their multiplayer modes in the main games had CPU bots.

It finally happened.

Day 1. Will buy the inevitable CEs. And will double dip at some point. Damn you ATLUS.

Maybe Persona 3 Remaster might happen since it's getting new assets. Prolly not. xP
Hehe that was my exact reaction. I will import it first if it comes out in Japan before NA, and buy any CEs for it. I'll most likely end up getting it on PS4/PSV too.

I thought the same thing when I saw the new assets lol. Maybe it isn't that farfetched to hope! PS2 remaster/remakes are pretty trendy right now :p

My wife is a High School Girl

Though i believe the dog was edited in there.
It's a cat, and was actually in there in the original.

But the lasers were indeed an added effect. ;D

That also means that the character did indeed try to use the cat as a gun, lol, if only to divert attention.

I don't think you'll have to worry about a lack of single player modes in a Senran Kagura game. There was actually an article Supplice posted a few months back detailing all the modes, which included a story, and I think some mission modes. Even their multiplayer modes in the main games had CPU bots.
Right. The single player stuff is the main story mode, sub story modes and a challenge mode. I've only been playing these modes in my imported copy (rarely played multi-player), so I can also testify that there's quite a bit of single player content. Also, I was really into the card-collecting in this game (need all that good art...). So I kept doing the challenge mode stuff to earn packs and money to buy packs.

I'll think about it for sure. Trying to limit buying games to like 2 a month or so full price games (with discounts of course). I waive this for visual novels I want, mainly cause those come out like once a month anyway and I generally only go for the ones I want or look interesting.

I'll think about it for sure. Trying to limit buying games to like 2 a month or so full price games (with discounts of course). I waive this for visual novels I want, mainly cause those come out like once a month anyway and I generally only go for the ones I want or look interesting.
What else is there to buy for September?

And this year has had a ton of great games, but even then I hadn't bought too many games in total. Not too much outside of Tekken 7, Persona 5, Nier, and Horizon.

I'm likely passing on Destiny 2, Danganronpa 3 (still need to beat 2) and Ys 8 (which i have a massive backlog of these). Utawarerumono and Mary Skelter are my likely buys...though I do love me Senran Kagura too (though I still haven't played Estival Versus). I do like card collecting so that's some favor for Senran Kagura plus boobs, though i'd likely play the loli anyway!

I am very likely only buying Yakuza Kiwami for August....so that's something.

In my personal notes I haven't updated in a while for September I have listed:

Muv-Luv (ha, probably not. I think this is based off a very old estimate - regarding KickStarter physical goods)

Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash

Ys VIII

Sharin no Kuni (also probably not)

Soldam: Drop, Connect, Erase

Mary Skelter: Nightmares

Blue Reflection

Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth

Maybe some LimitedRunGames releases could incidentally fall there as well, but it's too early to tell.

Forgot Blue Reflection, but those type of games usually drop relatively quickly. I didn't play Sharin no Kuni enough, but I didn't like the characters so much after playing maybe 10 hours....it's really slow.

Looks like I missed out on the Danganronpa V3 Limited Edition on the NISA Store. (Even though I had a bunch of time to lock in an order...)

I'm kinda disappointed, but at the same time kinda glad since I need to save money anyways. Also thinking back, there was not much I was really interested in for that Limited Edition....

In my personal notes I haven't updated in a while for September I have listed:

Muv-Luv (ha, probably not. I think this is based off a very old estimate - regarding KickStarter physical goods)
Muv Luv was set for a November Release. But the majority of the people in the Kickstarter voted to have all the Physical Goods shipped together.

Girls UND Panzer Dream Tank Match Getting English Release in Asia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxObwCA7NBI

Ys VIII’s Day One Edition Includes An Art Book And Soundtrack [Update]

ysviiidayoneedition.png

Update: NIS America updated their announcement stating the physical copy of the Day One Edition for Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is only available for PlayStation 4. Both PS4 and PS Vita versions will still have the reversible cover for the first-print run.

Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack for Switch Japanese limited edition detailed

bread's done
Back