Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, for some reason I thought you were in the first game. The second one didn't cross my mind despite what you said originally. Enjoy your Suikoden-like romp of the second game then.
second game was very enjoyable to me minus the dragging for 10+ more hours after what I thought to be the final dungeon. I felt that stuff was unneeded and I really wanted the game to end.

sewer dungeon was tedious as hell.

New trailer wise it looks like there are even more unannounced party members. I saw a blue haired mage in the trailer who I don't recognize. Rufus and lechter also look to possibly be playable since they were in the same party as claire and millium.

That's a TON of stuff in that Sen III trailer.

Get ready for a long haul; my bro finished everything in 102 hours. I didn't since I took too long and then the PC versions were announced.

@ Olengie (sorry don't know why CAG is fubaring your quote) : I soulda beaten P5 by now. I'm not sure what happened.

Probably doesn't help I like start a ton of games and never finish them. Like last weekend where I played eight (EIGHT!) hours of Akiba's Beat. Wanted to plant my face firmly on my desk every minute; it's like...let's rip EVERYTHING that's a Japanese trope together with nearly-okay Tales combat. Not even Symphonia Dawn of the New World's controls were this unresponsive. At least I only paid $9 (Thanks Gamefly) and can jettison this thing without losing money.
Sad to hear that about akibas beat as I was originally really looking forward to it. maybe it will get a pc release that can fix the gameplay at least?

closers looks interesting gameplay wise at least. but yeah I don't think it missed ripping off many anime tropes just in that trailer alone O_O

Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires, Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada, and Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate coming to Switch

Rumor: Secret of Mana remake for PS4 and PS Vita announcement leaked - **Confirmed True

Secret-of-_Mana-_PS4-_PSV-_Rumor_08-25-17_002.jpg

Kadokawa Games’ Root Letter Getting Live Action Adaptation; PC Version Discounted

I hate to be that guy, but the new Secret of Mana remake is totally a Nintendo Switch game.  Think about it.

I immediately became very excited for the game announcement.   How rad is that?  But the spirit from the graphics has been gutted and processed so hard that I'm really not sure what to think about the new presentation.  :cold:   This is going to take a couple days to digest. 

Sweet about Yakuza, they did say they'll announce something as is expected, after all, so no surprise there about Kiwami 2

That said, pretty exciting because it has the best story/villain imo

So if someone wanted to play the Yakuza series in chronological order...

Yakuza 0

Yakuza: Kiwami

Yakuza: Kiwami 2

Yakuza 3

Yakuza 4

Yakuza 5

Yakuza 6

And Yakuza: Dead Souls whenever?

Haha, math isn't your strong suit is it?

Regardless of your views on age, you might want to rethink the old fashioned views you have of male roles in a relationship.
"I have a mommy gf fetish so everyone else is old fashioned."

Alternately my taste in fashion is still younger and fresher than your taste in women.

So if someone wanted to play the Yakuza series in chronological order...

Yakuza 0

Yakuza: Kiwami

Yakuza: Kiwami 2

Yakuza 3

Yakuza 4

Yakuza 5

Yakuza 6

And Yakuza: Dead Souls whenever?
I'd still possibly recommend going maybe Yakuza Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, dead(if you want), 5, 0, 6. You can play 0 first if you want but it will likely spoil your game playing a bit as the engine is a lot more refined, but Kiwami 1 is a bit refined too. Eh....just know the stories are in chronological order so it helps out a lot if you play the previous ones (sans 0 which is a prequel). They do offer movies to tell the story, but it isn't the same.

It's not hideously ugly...just quite a bit generic. The original had such vivid sprites and I loved all the animations. Really good game.
Agree to disagree, it's garish and blocky from what they have chosen to show and that's hideous to me. Especially given how great it looks in it's original form, maybe that's a better comparison to make. It's hideous compared to the source material.

I do have to say that sword pulled out of the stone looked like poop. It was such a cool looking sword in the original. And Flamey (if I remember names correctly) looks the best of the crew. I guess i'm a little softer on it since the Adventure of Mana remake looked a lot like this, but that was remaking a Gameboy game, so I was a little nicer on it. I do wish it contained the original game, but that would likely poop all over the new remake.

I dunno guys...at first glance Secret of Mana strongly reminds me of a mobile game. Really need to see more of the game to know for sure but what they've shown does not look great. I hope the content of the game can make up for this shoddy art direction. But it really has the presentation a kiddy DS game. It actually comes off as a derivation, of what they consider to be the modern 'Mana' games, if that's even possible. I love Secret of Mana and hope this turns out alright.

I'd also kill for a Secret of Evermore remake, as that was one of my favorite games ever.

Agree to disagree, it's garish and blocky from what they have chosen to show and that's hideous to me. Especially given how great it looks in it's original form, maybe that's a better comparison to make. It's hideous compared to the source material.
Completely agree. It's also alarming that it already has a Feb '18 release window so this art is final.

You need to add a one to the number after Seiken Densetsu, Squenix.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure Koei Tecmo won't be satisfied until they've ported Warriors Orochi 3 to literally every console ever made.

"I have a mommy gf fetish so everyone else is old fashioned."

Alternately my taste in fashion is still younger and fresher than your taste in women.
Oh lord haha, you crack me up. Seriously, I like you. Though, be careful now, attacking me with your fashion sense is a little juvenile. Haha

I'd suggest, not saying you have to to be happy or anything, experiencing a little more of the world. You'll realize roles are antiquated and really more of a hindrance to a relationship. Do what works best for your individual relationship.

Edit: I meant to add the SoM remake looks pretty bad art wise in my opinion. If the game plays close to the original I'll still buy it because I'm a chump but I'm not happy so far. And a big ole' second on the Secret of Evermore! Needs some love on updating and fixing some stuff but such a great game that most people haven't even heard of in comparison.

It's not hideously ugly...just quite a bit generic. The original had such vivid sprites and I loved all the animations. Really good game.
Yup, it does look very bland. Like they just slapped a "Secrect of Mana" theme on top of a generic Rpg. I will reserve judgement for now till some gameplay vids show up. I will still get it though lol.

Yup, it does look very bland. Like they just slapped a "Secrect of Mana" theme on top of a generic Rpg. I will reserve judgement for now till some gameplay vids show up. I will still get it though lol.
Having experienced all the previous 3d remakes of FF games, wasn't surprised the Secret of Mana remake would sort of get the same type of treatment: bland.

Amz Lightning Deal:

:ps4: Dragon Quest Builders $39.99 $29.99
This seems like a terrible deal compared to Prime Day.

giphy.gif

Me and my girl Terra kicking ass in this beta. Still can't figure out a good use for Meteor though, I have mostly been using Meltdown as its much easier to tag moving targets (Especially since you get rushed so much on casters in here)

Yakuza Kiwami 2 Gets First Screenshots, Limited Edition and Custom PS4 Console

Yakuza_Kiwami_2-5.jpg

The limited edition will include:
  • Yakuza: Kiwami 2 game software
  • Three-disc “Kiwami” CD set
  • Disc A: Kazuma Kiryu Famous “Kiwami” CD
  • Disc B: Majima Goro Famous “Kiwami” CD
  • Disc C: Yakuza: Kiwami and Yakiza: Kiwami 2 soundtrack “Kiwami” CD
  • Special set of 10 business cards of charactesr that appear in the game
  • Various downloadable content
  • Exclusive costumes
  • Exclusive weapons
  • Play Spot-exclusive additional characters
  • One million in-game yen
  • PlayStation 4 theme and avatars
  • Limited edition packaging
Yakuza_Kiwami_2-6.jpg

Yakuza Kiwami 2 Officially Announced for PS4 With First Trailers; Goro Majima Will Be Playable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vmpDhnx6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpXgE8Iqgho

Yakuza_Kiwami_X.jpg

Yakuza Online and New Yakuza Sequel Announced With First Trailers; New Hero Revealed

"Both games will continue the story of the series after the events of Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, and will feature a new hero: 40 years old Kasuga Ichiban, played by Kazuhiro Nakatani (who is well known to Yakuza fans for playing Akira Nishikiyama)."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX09BHL2A4M

Fist of the North Star Game By Yakuza Studio “Hokuto ga Gotoku” Announced For PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhDwx5kvG4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBRkpUvWc2Y

Nintendo at Gamescom 2017 – Fire Emblem Warriors gameplay with new characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmbcblmMF8

Final Fantasy XIV Interview — Stormblood’s Success, Romance, Graphics Upgrades and More

bread's done
Back