Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
What's that gif from?
30-sai no Hoken Taiiku

It's actually pretty hilarious, but dirty.

Make sure you don't watch the censored version if you do watch it, and one with proper subbing, as there are a ton of fan subs that are even more outrageous than it's supposed to be, lol.

30-sai no Hoken Taiiku

It's actually pretty hilarious, but dirty.

Make sure you don't watch the censored version if you do watch it, and one with proper subbing, as there are a ton of fan subs that are even more outrageous than it's supposed to be, lol.
I'll watch it, who made a good fansub of it?

Yakuza: Kiwami 2 announced for PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpXgE8Iqgho

Yakuza Online announced for smartphones, PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xn1PNNK_Q

Yakuza Studio announces Fist of the North Star game Hokuto ga Gotoku for PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBRkpUvWc2Y

Yakuza Kiwami 2 Gets First Screenshots, Limited Edition and Custom PS4 Console

Yakuza_Kiwami_2-5.jpg

The limited edition will include:
  • Yakuza: Kiwami 2 game software
  • Three-disc “Kiwami” CD set
  • Disc A: Kazuma Kiryu Famous “Kiwami” CD
  • Disc B: Majima Goro Famous “Kiwami” CD
  • Disc C: Yakuza: Kiwami and Yakiza: Kiwami 2 soundtrack “Kiwami” CD
  • Special set of 10 business cards of charactesr that appear in the game
  • Various downloadable content
  • Exclusive costumes
  • Exclusive weapons
  • Play Spot-exclusive additional characters
  • One million in-game yen
  • PlayStation 4 theme and avatars
  • Limited edition packaging
Yakuza_Kiwami_2-6.jpg

Yakuza Kiwami 2 Officially Announced for PS4 With First Trailers; Goro Majima Will Be Playable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vmpDhnx6o

Yakuza_Kiwami_X.jpg

Yakuza Online and New Yakuza Sequel Announced With First Trailers; New Hero Revealed

"Both games will continue the story of the series after the events of Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, and will feature a new hero: 40 years old Kasuga Ichiban, played by Kazuhiro Nakatani (who is well known to Yakuza fans for playing Akira Nishikiyama)."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX09BHL2A4M

Fist of the North Star Game By Yakuza Studio “Hokuto ga Gotoku” Announced For PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhDwx5kvG4w

Holy sweet Yakuza goodness

Also, I like how cocky/smug the new protagonist looks

KazugaIchiban-750x418.jpg

NT seems a lot slower-paced than what I remember from the original Dissidia, even with the added chaos of 3v3. Granted it's been a long time, and I've never played 012, but I'm a bit disappointed.

Is it possibly true that will be the protagonist going on for Yakuza 7 (I wish they would rename these)? I read that. People are like eww he's 40 and too old to debut. I remember Kiryu being not too young in Yakuza 1 (wont spoil anything as Kiwami comes out next week for people who didn't play it yet), so what's wrong with an older protagonist? Hell I prefer that to a bunch of 18 year olds saving the world or something. 

Is it possibly true that will be the protagonist going on for Yakuza 7 (I wish they would rename these)? I read that. People are like eww he's 40 and too old to debut. I remember Kiryu being not too young in Yakuza 1 (wont spoil anything as Kiwami comes out next week for people who didn't play it yet), so what's wrong with an older protagonist? Hell I prefer that to a bunch of 18 year olds saving the world or something.
I'm pretty sure this is indeed the new protagonist for future Yakuza games - and it's not Yakuza 7, for now it's titled "Shin Ryu ga Gotoku" meaning New Like a Dragon (Yakuza). Kinda like how Shin Megami Tensei came from Megami Tensei. Basically he'll lead the series' reboot from what we can tell

Also it will be interesting seeing Tokyo through his eyes, as Kiryu always sees the brighter side of things but I'm not so sure this guy will be like that

We all need an 18 year old protagonist who is a new recruit for Yakuza. And he will save the world
No he needs to be a high school student (who happens to be an otaku) that gets transported to another world which just happens to be the Yakuza world and a girl falls from the sky and takes him on a Yakuza adventure.

I'm really enjoying the Dissidia NT beta. I finished taking Tidus to ranked: Gold E so I'm switching over to Cloud to down casters for easy wins. 

It's just disappointing you can't invite friends to really showoff the teamwork aspect of the game. The times where randoms did work together with me, it really shined.

Such as one this one match were our group picked Bahamut (instead of Shiva..finally!) to increase our EX gauge gain. Our Warrior of Light would spam his EX move making all opponents target him for the duration. This allowed me and our other teammate (Onion Knight) to get free hits in while casting team health regen to heal our WoL. The other team literally had no chance.

It was glorious. :D

NT seems a lot slower-paced than what I remember from the original Dissidia, even with the added chaos of 3v3. Granted it's been a long time, and I've never played 012, but I'm a bit disappointed.
Oh, it's much slower. It's not bad but it's much much slower.

No he needs to be a high school student (who happens to be an otaku) that gets transported to another world which just happens to be the Yakuza world and a girl falls from the sky and takes him on a Yakuza adventure.
can the girl be a goddess too? but because of the fall she completely forgets she is.

i do like the 40yr old approach about the new protagonist though.

can the girl be a goddess too? but because of the fall she completely forgets she is.

i do like the 40yr old approach about the new protagonist though.
Is said amnesiac girl also a large breasted goddess who takes lots of naps with an evil twin who serves the same function as nyx and such?

(wonder if anyone will get the reference)

Got my copy of Yakuza: Kiwami from bestbuy today. Steelbook is really nice and it came in a box too.
Wow, I haven't even got my shipping notice yet. Though they have recently been sending me my new release games the day before via next day mail and they always seem to arrive on time. Seems to be costly for them to do it that way though considering I got free shipping.

So, I keep seeing new dungeon crawlers announced for vita and getting excited until I find they have yet another weird creepy sex mechanic for no reason.

Are there any good vita dungeon crawlers that *don't* also randomly have spanking or make you breed with your party members or lick them or...just...

I want to take turns stabbing things in a dungeon that shouldn't end up so weird.

And so starts the release bonanza. Outside of Japanese games, we've also got the X-COM 2 expansion and the first episode of the new Life is Strange game.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Huusuienbu - Chapter Spring and Summer (SRPG / Early Access)
- Winter Cold (Visual Novel)
- Ghosts of Miami (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (August 27th - September 2nd)

One Piece: Unlimited World Red
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Action
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Remaster with 50 DLC included. Previously on 3DS, PS3, Vita & Wii U. Switch coming late September. Technically released last Friday for PC.

Everybody's Golf
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Golf / Sports
- Online: Yes.

Redout
- Platform(s): PS4, Xbox One
- Genre: Racing / Futuristic
- Comments: Not Japanese. Previously released on PC. Similar to F-Zero. Should be online. Switch version seems to have been delayed until October.

Rock of Ages 2: Bigger & Boulder
- Platform(s): PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Genre: Tower Defense / Racing

Resident Evil: Revelations
- Platform(s): PS4, Xbox One
- Genre: Survival Horror
- Comments: Previously released on 3DS, PS3, 360, Wii U & PC. Switch release coming later.

Yakuza Kiwami
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action-Adventure
- Comments: Remake of the first Yakuza game.

Warriors All-Stars
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Hack'n'Slash
- Comments: Those crossover characters...

Windjammers
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Sports / Arcade
- Comments: NeoGeo port by DotEmu. Supports online multiplayer.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Similar gameplay to X-COM and not so much a typical SRPG you're used to. I really hope this turns out good.

Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Physical release. Includes both Gunvolt 1 & 2.

Sonic Mania
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, Xbox One & Switch.

Ys SEVEN
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Previously released on the PSP.

Cat Girl
- Genre: Visual Novel

Draw Souls
- Genre: Survival / Tower Defense
- Comments: Chinese dev.

SchoolWar - become a VR AnimeGirl
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Genre: First-Person Shooter?
- Comments: Early access. You grab chalk and throw it in 1v1 apparently.

The Last Birdling
- Genre: Visual Novel

The Legend of the Dragonflame High School
- Genre: Brawler / 2D Action
- Demo: Yes.

The Witches' Tea Party
- Genre: Adventure
- Comments: Don't think it's an RPGMaker game anyways.

1bitHeart
- Genre: Adventure
- Comments: AGM Playism Published. LiEat/Alicemare devs.

仙剑奇侠传四-Chinese Paladin 4
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Chinese language only.

Past Releases
August 20th - August 26th
August 13th - August 19th
August 6th - August 12th
July 30th - August 5th
July 23rd - July 29th

8/29 EDIT: Added Everybody's Golf

So, I keep seeing new dungeon crawlers announced for vita and getting excited until I find they have yet another weird creepy sex mechanic for no reason.

Are there any good vita dungeon crawlers that *don't* also randomly have spanking or make you breed with your party members or lick them or...just...

I want to take turns stabbing things in a dungeon that shouldn't end up so weird.
Honestly outside of Demon Gaze & Stranger of Sword City on the Vita, there haven't been any particularly good ones in my opinion. The only upcoming one I'm interested in that's releasing on the Vita is Demon Gaze 2.

If you don't mind PC though, you should give The Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2 a try (2 is better). There's also The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians as well. They're all more D&D style though where you see enemies on screen ahead and there are typically a limited amount of enemies. Plus lots of puzzles and hidden things.

There's also the Etrian Odyssey series on the DS/3DS side. You've also got The Dark Spire, the upcoming remake of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey and Shin Megami Tensei IV along with its sequel Apocalypse. I suppose you can add Persona Q to that list too, but it's honestly not as good.

..Baha! No!

Weirdo..

Well for those following Falcom and Kiseki stuff like Drake, Cloyd, and I we can confirm that Brittany's "Secret Project" is NOT Cold Steel III: 

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/901138733675692032

Somehow I'd bet a free copy of CS III with someone that...it still is - or at least Falcom related. Well a free copy whenever it comes out!  :roll:

BTW the main Tweet was about voicing Aurelia in CS II. 

New Fate/Extella game titled Fate/Extella Link

Fate/Extella Link will feature a new hero named Charlemagne, who is of the Saber class and uses a Noble Phantasm called “Joyeuse Ordre.”
  • The super fast action has been powered-up
  • Master costumes have been completely redone
  • All 16 characters from the previous game are playable

Medabots Classic collection announced for 3DS

Dragon Quest XI first two-day digital sales numbers revealed

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time Gets Tons of Screenshots Showing Characters and More

Gundam Versus Adds Phantom Gundam Nightingale, New 1-on-1 Mode, And More In Late-September

Don't forget to get the VR Pass for DOAX3 while it's still free.

The instructions confused me a little bit at first. Start the game on your Asia-region account and from the menu there's a VR option ('VR Paradise', I think it's called?). You must select that, then a message box pops up about getting the VR pass from the store. Press Triangle (While the message box is still displayed!) to launch the Store and download it.

If you close the message box and then launch the store, the free pass will not be visible.

Yakuza: Kiwami 2 announced for PS4

Yakuza Online announced for smartphones, PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xn1PNNK_Q

Yakuza Studio announces Fist of the North Star game Hokuto ga Gotoku for PS4

I am already dead.

Seriously, I didn't even know I wanted a Fist of the North Star/Yakuza game until this was announced. Now I have to have it. Also really hoping Yakuza Kiwami 2 gets localized. Got to get that sweet tiger punching in HD.

I love how the fate/stay night universe is finally expanding on-screen.  The opening for fate/stay night is still my favorite track from the last several years.  Supernatural fantasy is one of my favorite anime genres.  This particular track and its animations exudes mysterious, mystical fascination.  The piano arpeggios are my weakness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy7Q77ZD_ME

I really liked Dissidia and 012, but I'm having a heck of a time enjoying Dissidia NT. The controls feel off, and it's almost too chaotic with the 3vs3 matches. I'll try the beta a few more times before it ends, and I'm glad I got to play it--now I know this is one I'll definitely skip when it gets released.

I love how the fate/stay night universe is finally expanding on-screen. The opening for fate/stay night is still my favorite track from the last several years. Supernatural fantasy is one of my favorite anime genres. This particular track and its animations exudes mysterious, mystical fascination. The piano arpeggios are my weakness.
The universe will be expanding even more soon. They just announced the Heaven's Feel movie will be screened in the US.

Honestly one of the best things I got out of Crunchyroll Expo this weekend. So hyped.

bread's done
Back