Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamestop is having a sale on it's clearance games, these are the niche ones, all new condition. With the exception of One Piece, all of these are in-store only and extremely YMMV. Except maybe The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel CE, since I see that new in like every Gamestop I go to.

:ps4: One Piece: Burning Blood Marineford Edition $49.97 (Available for shipping)

:ps4: Megadimension Neptunia VII $19.97

:psp: SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: PERSONA 2 INNOCENT SIN $13.97

:vita: Persona 4: Dancing All Night Disco Fever Edition $20.97

:ps3: The Disgaea Triple Play Collection $15.97

:wiiu: Xenoblade Chronicles X $19.97

:3ds: Bravely Second: End Layer $23.97

:ps3: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel Lionheart Edition $23.97

It also says 60% off sale starting Saturday, so there's a chance the sale didn't actually start yet and the games will be cheaper come Saturday...

Broke into Yakuza Kiwami just now, wandering around Kamurocho a bit after the first tutorial fight, and the first damn thing I happen to look at in detail is this.

tsukiji-gindaco-kyoto.jpg
Wait, is this a screen shot from the game!? It's not right? If so the graphics look insane!

Edit: Oh yeah, and Dead or Alive 5 DLC and Guilty Gear Rev 2 are on sale on PSN: http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/30/dead-or-alive-5-last-round-dlc-and-guilty-gear-xrd-rev-2-are-on-sale-for-playstation-plus-users/

The price for the P4DAN CE is a pretty darn good price. 

Xenoblade Chronicles X pre owned is part of the 4 for 30 sale at Gamestop. Easily worth the money if you can find 3 worthwhile games to pair with XCX for $30 (even a little cheaper with pur)

Gamestop is having a sale on it's clearance games, these are the niche ones, all new condition. With the exception of One Piece, all of these are in-store only and extremely YMMV. Except maybe The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel CE, since I see that new in like every Gamestop I go to.

:ps4: One Piece: Burning Blood Marineford Edition $49.97 (Available for shipping)

:ps4: Megadimension Neptunia VII $19.97

:psp: SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: PERSONA 2 INNOCENT SIN $13.97

:vita: Persona 4: Dancing All Night Disco Fever Edition $20.97

:ps3: The Disgaea Triple Play Collection $15.97

:wiiu: Xenoblade Chronicles X $19.97

:3ds: Bravely Second: End Layer $23.97

:ps3: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel Lionheart Edition $23.97

It also says 60% off sale starting Saturday, so there's a chance the sale didn't actually start yet and the games will be cheaper come Saturday...

Wait, is this a screen shot from the game!? It's not right? If so the graphics look insane!

Edit: Oh yeah, and Dead or Alive 5 DLC and Guilty Gear Rev 2 are on sale on PSN: http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/30/dead-or-alive-5-last-round-dlc-and-guilty-gear-xrd-rev-2-are-on-sale-for-playstation-plus-users/
nearly everything oos near me, plenty stores with XCX preowned and 1 with "new"

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Here is something interesting I stumbled on.  You know how chrono trigger and ff7 have no analog stick support on the ps3?  Well chrono trigger does automatically have it on the psvita tv when I used my ps4 pro controller to play it today.  I didn't even notice as I was just using the dp then went to use the sticks for some reason out of instinct and it worked like it would any other game.  I tested ff7 and chrono trigger on a slim ps3 using the ps4 pro controller and no it doesn't enable it on there despite being the same versions of the game.  So I assume it has something to do with how the vita tv and ps4 controller interact differently somehow.  Maybe its because ps4's home button works on a vita tv while it doesn't on a ps3?

I haven't tested ff7 yet to see if the analog sticks work on vita tv as well.

I have a quick question and am unsure where to ask it. I pre ordered white day for PS4 from amazon and it is still not showing a delivery date. I read in this thread others preordered from amazon as well. Did any one else get theirs?

I have a quick question and am unsure where to ask it. I pre ordered white day for PS4 from amazon and it is still not showing a delivery date. I read in this thread others preordered from amazon as well. Did any one else get theirs?
Amazon delayed White Day to September. Probably manufacturing problems/delays due to Sony printing a bunch AAA titles for the Holidays

Wow thanks for the fast reply, I was wondering if I should cancel it. Where did you get the delay info from, if you don't mind me asking.

My Best Buy order shows the same date as Amazon does (Sept 28th), so I wouldn't worry :)

Wow thanks for the fast reply, I was wondering if I should cancel it. Where did you get the delay info from, if you don't mind me asking.
amazon a few weeks ago if I recall.

Oh and I can confirm that ff7 on vita tv does indeed have analog control support for those interested in that. I meah obviously there are better ways to play it but at least its an option for those that have the ps1 version in their backlogs.

amazon a few weeks ago if I recall.

Oh and I can confirm that ff7 on vita tv does indeed have analog control support for those interested in that. I meah obviously there are better ways to play it but at least its an option for those that have the ps1 version in their backlogs.
Pretty sure the PS1 version IS the best way to play it.

I'm probably going to be getting back into Persona 5 in the near future, so without going into any spoilers, can anyone tell me if the female party members in that game are as irrationally horrible to the male party members as in Persona 4? Because there were parts of 4 that went beyond humorous to just outright mean-spirited. Really made me want to avoid romancing most of them.

I recommend ordering White Day from VGP instead. I ordered it from their eBay store and it arrived last week. It came with the CD soundtrack too, which other retailers are not offering. It was a couple dollars more on eBay, but worth it to me due to the credit card fraud issue on the regular VGP site.

I'm probably going to be getting back into Persona 5 in the near future, so without going into any spoilers, can anyone tell me if the female party members in that game are as irrationally horrible to the male party members as in Persona 4? Because there were parts of 4 that went beyond humorous to just outright mean-spirited. Really made me want to avoid romancing most of them.
Haven't played through 4 yet, so I can't compare. In 5, the girls aren't horrible to you though.

I would say no. They call out one for being an ass...when he was actually being an ass. They *do* completely dismiss the males as romantic prospects, but I'd say the general vibe is friendly. I'll spoiler the next part, though not plot related at all.
Haru doesn't much interact with them at all. Neither really does Makoto. Futaba and Yusuke have a playful ribbing as do Ann and Ryuji. Ann thinks Yusuke is a bit of a weirdo/horndog for her. I don't remember much Futaba x Ryuji action. Every girl loves Morgana, 'cept maybe Makoto who barely interacts with Mona on a more than "Phantom Thief Business" level.

How far had you gotten before stopping?

What do you get if you look at Vocaloid 01's  arm marking in a mirror?

10! Happy 10th Miku!

C9RVyRYUIAAHzD4.jpg

10/10 diva would wish happy birthday again

Congrats Miku. Also has a 10th anniversary nendo but honestly not very special. She has a rainbow effect on her outfit (this is cool) and her curves are shown better (not my words).

Link

FIGURE-032924.jpg

This is the one i'd get honestly though it's exclusive to GSC Online shop:

Link

DGSpPHqVoAAF4j0.jpg

Also this recent Figma I want of her.

Link

FIGURE-032879.jpg

Looks like the Fire Emblem Warriors Special Edition is out of stock on Amazon....

Hmm, I probably should have placed an order.....guess I gotta wait for Bestbuy to put it up then.

I would say no. They call out one for being an ass...when he was actually being an ass. They *do* completely dismiss the males as romantic prospects, but I'd say the general vibe is friendly. I'll spoiler the next part, though not plot related at all.
Haru doesn't much interact with them at all. Neither really does Makoto. Futaba and Yusuke have a playful ribbing as do Ann and Ryuji. Ann thinks Yusuke is a bit of a weirdo/horndog for her. I don't remember much Futaba x Ryuji action. Every girl loves Morgana, 'cept maybe Makoto who barely interacts with Mona on a more than "Phantom Thief Business" level.

How far had you gotten before stopping?
Still working on the first dungeon. I had a lot of other games on my plate.

Still do, actually, but P5's turn is coming up.

- Ann is your typical popular girl that's a little vain. She's probably the meanest overall.

- Makoto acts like your typical class president, and tells everyone to study and helps them all.

- Futaba doesn't open up to many people, so she's more recluse than mean. She is somewhat mean to Yusuke, past the point of playful, but I think it's more because they're very similar.

- Haru is shown to be nice to everyone, so it's unfathomable that she'd be mean to her male teammates.

If they make another Catherine it needs more story and less block puzzles. I felt like I was just forcing myself to get through the block puzzles to see more of the story, which there wasn't nearly enough of.

Congrats Miku. Also has a 10th anniversary nendo but honestly not very special. She has a rainbow effect on her outfit (this is cool) and her curves are shown better (not my words).

Link

FIGURE-032924.jpg

Link

DGSpPHqVoAAF4j0.jpg

Link

FIGURE-032879.jpg
This one looks good too

Ob5ec0t.jpg

If they make another Catherine it needs more story and less block puzzles. I felt like I was just forcing myself to get through the block puzzles to see more of the story, which there wasn't nearly enough of.
I want a couple of things actually. One being a bigger real-world exploration area, other than just the bar. Another being more gameplay variations, like more block types, a greater variety of items, more different enemies, etc. More modes would be cool too, not just climb to the very top, but maybe timed survival mode, or a race between sheep. Maybe having side-stories for the other characters would be cool too.

It was a great concept, but there was so much more they could've added. Multiplayer should've had an online portion too, and not just couch versus. Maybe a coop mode, or an online ranking mode would be great.

I loved Catherine just the way it was.  I thought it was the perfect blend of puzzle and story.  I actually started it up recently again to see the other endings.  It was one of my favorite games from last gen.  I hope it stays fairly similar, although I'm sure they would want to build on the idea in some way. 

Fry's currently marking down Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Limited Edition to sub $25, is this something worth collecting/picking up?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
I got it via that google express deal for $20 and while it was worth it, I came away surprised I enjoyed DDD a bit more than expected and 0.2 (the KH3 sorta demo thing) was a disappointment. I basically bought it because I heard character spoilers
the TWEWY gang (Neku, Shiki, Beat, Rhyme, Joshua)
was in the game, and it definitely didn't let me down in that regard. Sweet remixes of their songs too.

0.2 though I just couldn't get over how poorly it ran. It felt like it ran at 20fps the whole time, when most games I play on console are 60fps. I had a great time with KH1.5 and 2.5 on the PS3, which ran at 30 frames, but this was something else entirely. I now fear I won't enjoy KH3 compared to how I felt about it before. Speaking of which, I'm equally worried I will feel like Yakuza 6 is a downgrade coming from the silky smooth Yakuza 0 (and Kiwami)

Anyway, KH2.8 is still worth it I'd say, Balloonga is ridiculously OP in it btw

And better female characters as the romantic options in that game were ass. The waitress was the only decent one but there's spoilers why you wouldn't romance that one. Ignoring the waitress is child hood friends with most of the cast.

Link

FIGURE-032924.jpg

Link

DGSpPHqVoAAF4j0.jpg

Link

FIGURE-032879.jpg
What can't Miku do? She can do anything when it's all in your imagination!

I loved Catherine just the way it was. I thought it was the perfect blend of puzzle and story. I actually started it up recently again to see the other endings. It was one of my favorite games from last gen. I hope it stays fairly similar, although I'm sure they would want to build on the idea in some way.
I feel like it was perfect in what it set out to do. I liked the gameplay for it being so unique, despite sucking at it.

Also, the bar - the fact they did so much with essentially a single room (+ a bathroom) is probably my favorite aspect of the game. I loved throwing on Megaten jams on the jukebox (Alone from P4 being a personal favorite that fit the mood). Persona 5 did a good job adapting Catherine style NPCs to Leblanc, but naturally the Stray Sheep was better developed because Catherine's real world was essentially just the bsr!

bread's done
Back