Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Green Man Gaming has the PC version of Blue Reflection for $42.49 on pre-order. Best Buy still hasn't shipped my PS4 physical unless they bundled it with Senran Kagura and didn't update the order status from "Preparing"

Green Man Gaming has the PC version of Blue Reflection for $42.49 on pre-order. Best Buy still hasn't shipped my PS4 physical unless they bundled it with Senran Kagura and didn't update the order status from "Preparing"
I'm worried that the steam price is gonna be $60. They did that with Warriors All Stars where GMG had a retail price of $50 and steam was $60. If you want the bonus DLC costume, you have to buy it from steam in the bundle. If it's too much, I might just pass on the bonus costume and get it from GMG. I have to hope for a 20% discount on the bundle.

I can't confirm this is 100% true right now, but it most likely is based on past experience. Koei Tecmo is likely fucking over PC gamers again with Blue Reflection. It seems the game's 2D assets are locked to 1280x720 while the PS4 assets are at 1920x1080.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/658260/discussions/0/1495615865226661101/

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We prepare 2D images basically on the resolution of 1280*720 for BLUE REFLECTION Steam version, meanwhile 1920*1080 for PS4 version.
Therefore, if you play in the environment where the resolution is larger than 1280*720, the images are shown as stretched. We hope you will accept this.
We will consider conforming 2D images to a larger resolution, but cannot promise. We trust that you will understand our position in this matter.

We would like to close our correspondence for your inquiry.
So just a heads up before purchasing the PC version. Pretty sure one of the two Atelier games (maybe both) on Steam had 1080 normal assets, but the UI assets were in 720 which made them blurry when using any resolutions that was 1920x1080 or higher. Whereas the PS4 version was 1080 without any issue and as sharp as they should be, not to mention it had basic things like ambient occlusion that was never added to the PC version.

May also be just lost in translation if Koei Tecmo's customer service is that bad with English. Probably both though. Koei Tecmo just fails at 95% of their PC ports.

Attack on Titan 2’s Platforms for the West Announced: PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC

Nintendo confirms Fire Emblem Warriors DLC for the west, game’s amiibo support detailed

• Season Pass (Oct. 20, $19.99): The Fire Emblem Warriors Season Pass includes all three DLC packs, which become available as they release. Each DLC pack is filled with new playable characters and weapons. By purchasing the Season Pass for either the Nintendo Switch or New Nintendo 3DS version, players will receive a bridal costume for Lucina.
  • DLC Pack #1 (Dec 2017, $8.99): The content in this pack is inspired by Fire Emblem Fates.
  • DLC Pack #2 (Feb 2018, $8.99): Many of the characters and items in this DLC pack hail from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.
  • DLC Pack #3 (March 2018, $8.99): Fans of Fire Emblem Awakening will love this DLC, as much of the content is themed after the classic game.

Killing Bites game no longer in development

The Charming Booth Ladies of Tokyo Game Show 2017 Will Brighten Your Monday

I can't confirm this is 100% true right now, but it most likely is based on past experience. Koei Tecmo is likely fucking over PC gamers again with Blue Reflection. It seems the game's 2D assets are locked to 1280x720 while the PS4 assets are at 1920x1080.
Why am I not surprised? KOEI TECMO really despises PC gamers it seems. They want our money enough to start porting games over to the platform, but not enough to make them proper ports (and in a case like this, make ours inferior to the console version for what feels like no reason).

What's even sadder is the number of people in that Steam discussion thread that are clearly bothered by this, but say they'll still be buying it anyways. I understand being willing to buy an inferior port of a game, but I would never pay full price for it.

Both AoT2 and Atelier Vita versions did not make it out of Japan. 2018 is ruined. Why not at least digital? The translation is already there.

Oh and also Blue Reflection and Omega Labyrinth.

Say if someone was planning on going to Japan/in Japan, what would be good games to keep an eye out for to play regardless of system? Mainly ones with lower language barriers, but also interested in collectors pieces.
When I was in Japan almost a couple of years ago now, I picked up EX Troopers on PS3 for ridiculously cheap and was able to get through most of it (couldn't understand the cutscenes though obviously). It's a Lost Planet spinoff that never got localized. Tales of VS (a Tales of series 4 player fighting game) for PSP was dirt cheap and easy to play. I had also gotten the Tingle Balloon Fight spinoff on DS which I think even has English menus. Jump Ultimate Stars on DS I've been able to muddle through if you like Shonen Jump anime (can confirm Japanese DS games will work on American 3DS).

Nintendo confirms Fire Emblem Warriors DLC for the west, game’s amiibo support detailed

• Season Pass (Oct. 20, $19.99): The Fire Emblem Warriors Season Pass includes all three DLC packs, which become available as they release. Each DLC pack is filled with new playable characters and weapons. By purchasing the Season Pass for either the Nintendo Switch or New Nintendo 3DS version, players will receive a bridal costume for Lucina.
  • DLC Pack #1 (Dec 2017, $8.99): The content in this pack is inspired by Fire Emblem Fates.
  • DLC Pack #2 (Feb 2018, $8.99): Many of the characters and items in this DLC pack hail from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.
  • DLC Pack #3 (March 2018, $8.99): Fans of Fire Emblem Awakening will love this DLC, as much of the content is themed after the classic game.
So this means Tharja is still a possibility then?! :D/

LbqGb4T.jpg

First thing I see when I click the link. Thank you Supplice, you really brightened my Monday. In fact, it's shining like a supernova right now.

We were talking about how to make more Yakuza games get localized here with more sales in the West? Just have marketing like this.

So just a heads up before purchasing the PC version. Pretty sure one of the two Atelier games (maybe both) on Steam had 1080 normal assets, but the UI assets were in 720 which made them blurry when using any resolutions that was 1920x1080 or higher. Whereas the PS4 version was 1080 without any issue and as sharp as they should be, not to mention it had basic things like ambient occlusion that was never added to the PC version.
Hmm, why do they even do that? The only reason I can think of is if they want to unify all the PC gamers, even ones with lower-end rigs, but I doubt a couple of higher resolution assets would make a difference.

Just bought a gaming laptop recently, so I've been wanting to get in on all the niche games on PC I've missed.

FEW Season Pass being $20 is actually palatable, we'll see if the game is actually worth investing on though..  :whistle2:

I would say that it's lazy, but I think that using the PS4 version would be easier than the PS3 version. I would say that they are trying to torpedo the PC version in favor of console, but it doesn't make sense to send a product out with the intent of it dying and being shit. I can't honestly fathom their thought process. I just know that they remain the worst Japanese dev when it comes to PC ports. They are based on older version; they lack PC required settings; they run like crap; they crash constantly. It's really a shame, too, because I'd love to play 'good' PC versions of a lot of their games, and not be stuck with the bloody console version. Maybe they'll pull their head out one day.

So Best Buy shipped my Senran Kagura on Friday but still no word on Danganronpa from them. Wonder if I'll be getting that one tomorrow or not  :whistle2:k

Hmm, why do they even do that? The only reason I can think of is if they want to unify all the PC gamers, even ones with lower-end rigs, but I doubt a couple of higher resolution assets would make a difference.

Just bought a gaming laptop recently, so I've been wanting to get in on all the niche games on PC I've missed.
It's Koei Tecmo not putting forth any effort in the port plain and simple. The recommended specs are actually on the high side based on what the screenshots and video for the game have shown. It's unfortunately a common theme with Koei Tecmo games. Seriously, 8GB of RAM and an i7 3.4GHz for this game? Wat.

[customspoiler='PC Spec Requirements']
WyjdO07.png
[/customspoiler]

If you want to see an example of Atelier Sophie on the PC vs the PS4 where 2D Assets are at 1280x720 and upscaled to 1920x1080, here:

PC Screen vs PS4 Screen - Alchemy Crafting

PC Screen vs PS4 Screen - Random Environment

Random Cutscene Screenshot comparson Vita (Top) -> PC -> PS4 (Bottom)

It's not terrible by any means, but you can easily notice that it's not sharp for a 2D image. If you are any resolution above 1920x1080 on the PC it gets even worse. The last image shows the lack of things like ambient occlusion that they left out of the PC version which is a very standard setting. I played through Firis on PC and it was very noticeable to me every time I did alchemy or went into the menu screen. It bugged the hell out of me, but I couldn't refund my purchase so I stuck with it.

Since Sophie/Firis was a DirectX 9 game though, you were able to inject things like Ambient Occlusion and other effects into the game client using standard third party tools to help with this. However it never looks as good as settings that are built into the game itself. I probably have a post in this thread talking about injecting some stuff into Firis in some back and forth with motaku96 even.

I'd like to support GUST by buying the game, however Koei Tecmo makes it very hard to do so. Thus I'll likely wait for a hefty discount or completely forget it exists by then and not buy it at all. Granted I wasn't planning on buying at release anyways since Nights of Azure's quality was too low.

I would say that it's lazy, but I think that using the PS4 version would be easier than the PS3 version. I would say that they are trying to torpedo the PC version in favor of console, but it doesn't make sense to send a product out with the intent of it dying and being shit. I can't honestly fathom their thought process. I just know that they remain the worst Japanese dev when it comes to PC ports. They are based on older version; they lack PC required settings; they run like crap; they crash constantly. It's really a shame, too, because I'd love to play 'good' PC versions of a lot of their games, and not be stuck with the bloody console version. Maybe they'll pull their head out one day.
It's actually not on the PS3 at all. So they're either using Vita assets or downsizing their PS4 assets. Either way, yeah, it's pretty ridiculous this is happening. Par for the course with Koei Tecmo though.

Code Vein Director Touches On the Game’s Difficulty, Character Development, and…Vampires

We Ask Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet’s Producer, Why Guns?
Finally, he was asked whether or not players should expect a Switch version. “We don’t have any plans right now to release the game on switch, but…well, the game started development 3 years ago before the Switch was even a thing, so that idea was nowhere in sight. Lots of fans have requested it, though, and we want them to know we’re considering [their thoughts].”

Interview: Gal Gun 2’s Takuya Aizu, Masanori Ito, and Matt Papa at TGS 2017

Inti Creates on Gal*Gun 2 – will use the gyro sensor, won’t be censored, why it’s on Switch

Got my Danganronpa V3 CE today. The bag has some scratch marks on the clasp and the hat has a few tears. I'm not sure if this is intended or not
S61ObrB.jpg
WvAwu9N.jpg
It's hard to get the scratches on a photo...

=/
I just got mine. I don't have any scratches on the buckle, but my hat does have identical tears.

Still waiting on my Danganronpa V3 and Mary Skelter LE shipping confirmations. Is anyone else? Not sure if there's a legitimate issue with my orders or if NISA/Iffy are just taking their time.

I have never been more disappointed in my entire life than in this moment
It's ok, it's just a matter of preference. If I remember correctly, she's into traps.

Actually, I'm surprised you aren't in agreement, and type "Flat is Justice!"

Still waiting on my Danganronpa V3 and Mary Skelter LE shipping confirmations. Is anyone else? Not sure if there's a legitimate issue with my orders or if NISA/Iffy are just taking their time.
Got my Mary Skelter LE last Thursday and my DV3 CE today. Not sure why yours would be taking so long to ship unless their was a problem with your payment method.

Got my Mary Skelter LE last Thursday and my DV3 CE today. Not sure why yours would be taking so long to ship unless their was a problem with your payment method.
Same for me, and I haven't even opened my DV3 yet to inspect as it just showed up a few hours ago.

I guess I'm not really surprised the first level is pretty basic. Like when is it not?

I'm going to get it anyway. I expected to avatar to suck from when it was announced.

Daytime stages in Unleashed are still the best 3D Sonic stages.
Sonic Unleashed is my favorite Modern Sonic game, I loved the day time stages in it more than the ones in Sonic Generations in my opinion. I'm really happy they brought back the boost mechanic after they ditched it in Sonic Lost World but I'm a bit worried since it seems it's only limited to when you get the Wisp power up. I agree that the Avatar game play may not be great but I'd be willing to ignore it's flaws like I did with the Werehog if the Modern (and Classic) stages are fun.

I just got mine. I don't have any scratches on the buckle, but my hat does have identical tears.
Yeah, seems like that's how it's supposed to be according to their twitter.

Anyone have any experience dealing with NISA for damaged items from their CEs? Good, bad, don't bother, etc?

Sonic Unleashed is my favorite Modern Sonic game, I loved the day time stages in it more than the ones in Sonic Generations in my opinion. I'm really happy they brought back the boost mechanic after they ditched it in Sonic Lost World but I'm a bit worried since it seems it's only limited to when you get the Wisp power up. I agree that the Avatar game play may not be great but I'd be willing to ignore it's flaws like I did with the Werehog if the Modern (and Classic) stages are fun.
Same pretty much. As long as the rest of the game is fun I'll just play the avatar stages once and never look back.

But yes, the daytime stages in Unleashed are waaaaaay better than the modern Sonic stages in Generations.

Anyone have any experience dealing with NISA for damaged items from their CEs? Good, bad, don't bother, etc?
In the past, it was top shelf. I always called, as their ticket system can take ages to get replies, but I've gotten great service in the past. A few years back, they switched fulfillment centers or something, and they had a few orders where there was tons of issues. I got several replacements for the same order until they got it right, all on their dime.

I haven't had any issues since then, as all their packaging has been amazing ever since, so no current problems. But in the past, they went the extra mile to get whatever issues handled, it just might take some time to get the proper support, as they have always had issues with getting contacted.

Speaking of Mary Skelter LE, the box feels flimsy. I guess I got spoiled by xseed's heavy 'is this thing really made of cardboard' boxes.

bread's done
Back