Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
IOfNO1n.gif

Nah. Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition and Tokyo Mirage FE Special Edition were laughably worse imo.

How was TGS? It's on my bucket list of events I want to go to, but I'm wondering if the wait times for the long lines and stuff are worth it.
I wouldn't go to Japan just for TGS. The lines and the crowd are just crazy. My hotel looked out onto the convention hall and the line to get looped around the building. This was at 7am, 3 hours before the show. I waited until about 1030 to get inside
As far as lines inside the place, I waited about 45 minutes to play EDF. The big games had 2 hour waits,ie monster Hunter and code vein.
The swag was ok, mostly free bags and folders. A lot the swag was behind big lines, like you had to play the demo to get the stuff.

And people stink! I've been to cons before but this was a whole new level of stink. It was cold out too so it stayed relatively cool in the convention Center. Like maybe Japanese don't wear deodorant. I don't know?

Overall, I probably wouldn't go again. Tokyo and Kyoto were amazing. If I go to Japan again, is probably get the rail pass and just tour the country.

Overall, I probably wouldn't go again. Tokyo and Kyoto were amazing. If I go to Japan again, is probably get the rail pass and just tour the country.
Yeah, I always wanted to try TGS or Shoshinkai when "N" was still having it, but I never got the chance. Even back then, seeing news in magazines and online, it showed how crazy crowded those shows where, and now I can only imagine how bad it's gotten.

I started going to CES in the early 90's, and I moved to Vegas January of 1995(for that show actually), and that was the last year the Winter show still had a dedicated gaming section, as E3 started that year.

Back then the crowds where great for CES, and even for E3 those first 5 years maybe. As I could try almost anything, with little to no wait times. And if you had a wait, it was for some cool swag, and it still wasn't to bad. My last E3 was 2005, and while it wasn't TGS crazy, it was well past the point of being enjoyable for sure, as the waits had gotten in to hours for some things, and that's just insane.

I've pretty much sworn off all trades shows at this point, as it's just no way to get around the crowds and masses of people.

I'm glad Fire Emblem Warriors is focusing on the best Fire Emblem games.
The recent ones.
Makes sense though lol

Like it or not, those games brought the series back to life/recognition. That's why they want to focus on those games in Warriors. (Also because of money $$$)

I wouldn't go to Japan just for TGS. The lines and the crowd are just crazy. My hotel looked out onto the convention hall and the line to get looped around the building. This was at 7am, 3 hours before the show. I waited until about 1030 to get inside
As far as lines inside the place, I waited about 45 minutes to play EDF. The big games had 2 hour waits,ie monster Hunter and code vein.
The swag was ok, mostly free bags and folders. A lot the swag was behind big lines, like you had to play the demo to get the stuff.

And people stink! I've been to cons before but this was a whole new level of stink. It was cold out too so it stayed relatively cool in the convention Center. Like maybe Japanese don't wear deodorant. I don't know?

anime conventions are just as bad in terms of stink

PlayStation Plus free games for October 2017 announced
PlayStation 4

• Amnesia: Collection (Frictional Games)
  • Hue (Curve Digital)
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami)
  • Sky Force Anniversary (iDreams)
  • Bonus Game through October 23: That’s You (SIE)
  • Bonus Game through November 7: RIGS: Mechanized Combat League (SIE)
PlayStation 3

• Hustle Kings (SIE)
  • Monster Jam: Battlegrounds (GameMill Entertainment)
PS Vita

• Hue (Curve Digital)

Your TGS experience sounds a lot like my PAX West experience. Crazy lines, unpleasant smells, general chaos and disarray. I was not a fan of going to a video game convention. 

I installed and started playing Danganronpa 3 last night. With the size of my backlog, it is telling that I never hesitate in playing the latest Danganronpa. I will probably take my time a little more with this one, I just have a lot of other stuff I'm working on. But while other games languish on my shelf for years, Danganronpa gets play right away.

I also have a coupon im not gonna use. Its on! lol

Playasia coupon $5 off $60. Expires Oct 8, 2017.

YO-UIJ-GSB

I've found that the odor often has to do with the diet of those in question, and no so much with lack of bathing. Although lack of bathing is 9 out of 10 the issues with US convention goers. LOL
People tend to think that others won't notice if they don't bathe.

It appalls me that people won't shower even if they're staying at a hotel/motel/house during this time.

It has to be the people who go to these things. I've only been to a few conventions but there was always a smell issue. On the flipside, I've been to hundreds of concerts and festivals with my old job and never had that problem. Not even near hordes of people who are all frying under the sun. The most basic of hygiene goes a really long way.

I went to Japan for the first time early this year. It was a dream trip. I suffer from a bit of claustrophobia so I could only stay in the stores for about an hour at a time before having to go outside for some fresh air. I never noticed these places smelling particularly bad, but it was still Winter, and people were wearing plenty of layers. I'd be afraid to go into those places in the Summer where people bring in some nasty otaku stank.

if anyone was wondering like me, what anime that was Hitsugi no Chaika (Chaika: The Coffin Princess)

was what i found based on image search an little snooping, ill watch it later.

Video game stink is only second to hardcore comicbook and anime stink. People are disgusting.
I've been to a Fighting Game tournament, and the stink there reaches mutant skunk level. Especially the Anime Fighters, and Smash Brothers players.

Then there are the ones who know they stink so they heavily douse themselves in Axe and the concentration per cubic centimeter is enough to kill.

Don't forget the Special Message from the game's Producer in the manual. That final sentence is my new mantra. Lol
In case people missed it, it says "Tits are life, Ass is hometown." This saying will go down in the history books.

I missed listing this on the weekly release list, but Golf Story releases on the Switch digitally for $15 tomorrow. It looks pretty neat for an RPG. I'd probably buy it if I had a switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-6HotrJfBI

I've been to a Fighting Game tournament, and the stink there reaches mutant skunk level. Especially the Anime Fighters, and Smash Brothers players.

Then there are the ones who know they stink so they heavily douse themselves in Axe and the concentration per cubic centimeter is enough to kill.

In case people missed it, it says "Tits are life, Ass is hometown." This saying will go down in the history books.
BRW, you just made my day, great comments all around. ROFL!

The majority of people in Japan don't use deodorant. I watch an American streamer on twitch who lives in Japan and he flat out says they don't sell deodorant there.. but I'm not sure how much of an exaggeration that is.

The majority of people in Japan don't use deodorant. I watch an American streamer on twitch who lives in Japan and he flat out says they don't sell deodorant there.. but I'm not sure how much of an exaggeration that is.
It baffles me that in the current year people don't wear deodorant.

never had a smell issues in japan in the summer at anime stores, it's usually very cooled.
I was at a cosplay con but it was outdoors & cosplayers were using cooling cans [looked like compressed air cans] to keep from sweating. So i don't know about indoors cons.

But in France regular people walking around do smell, dont think they use deodorants.

thou in usa it does smell funky at cons. Guys smell like sweat & BO, girls smell like sour milk. People openly fart in public, & the people in those Onesies never take them off for days. it's a mix of younger kids who don't know any better & the social awkward class that are ill-informed about hygiene.

the more mainstream it gets the less it will smell eventually.

they sell it there, those guys & youtubers tend to exaggerate stuff. There are truths in it but I'm guessing they are acting like dicks without realising it or come from rural usa areas into urban japan cities.

I've never really noticed any especially bad smelling people at any of the cons I've been to. There were a couple exceptions, but overall it was fine.

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet first protagonist gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nalvg1temeg

Shenmue III ‘Development Report Vol. 4’ video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhOz-wbY2fA

Fire Emblem Heroes adds ‘Performing Arts’ heroes Olivia, Inigo, Azura, and Shigure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU3e9LlGKvo

Our World is Ended opening movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auebTxPAKB8

A look at early Yoshi for Super Mario World

i was expecting her to have another pair of sunglasses on when she took off the top pair.
eeb.gif

My 1st impressions of Senran Kagura PBS (Only played through the opening day so far):

• The CE is a small package but still really neat! The art book and soundtrack have pretty designs. Book has a ton of pages, soundtrack has a ton of songs.
  • Gameplay is a lot more refined that I expected. It's way more fluid than the previous Senran Kagura musous, and really focuses on the shooting aspect with all types of guns and melee attacks are slow and weak.
  • Story is pretty wacky and full of innuendos. Master Kiriya seems so out of place.
  • Graphics are okay, nothing Marvelous. Music is decent, opening soundtrack was awesome.
A couple of minor complaints though. I think they removed the leveling system and made it an upgrade system, which is a shame since leveling up chars and unlocking new moves in SK was really fun. Yumi seems to be the new main character and it sucks for Asuka who seems completely overshadowed now. Homura and Miyabi are almost nonexistent compared to Yumi. And why are all the bikini's white? A little color/design variety would be nice. I'm sure it's customization but they should've started with different designs that match different characters (rainbow for Asuka, purple for Murasaki, etc.) My favorite bikini color is black, so this was disappointing.

No unboxing video this time, it's not really a full-fledged CE. I might do one for Cyberdimension Neptunia. Thanks for reading!
So my biggest question is how does the story fit in? Because the reason I held off on buying the game was because I thought I had heard it was multiplayer only? Is there actually a full SK story mode in there as well? Cus if there is I'll probably try picking it up. Just didn't feel like spending $70 or so on a multiplayer only game, especially when I have no ps+, right now. I usually trust your tastes and this sounds like the kind of game that's up my alley but wanna make sure I'd be able to play it

So my biggest question is how does the story fit in? Because the reason I held off on buying the game was because I thought I had heard it was multiplayer only? Is there actually a full SK story mode in there as well? Cus if there is I'll probably try picking it up. Just didn't feel like spending $70 or so on a multiplayer only game, especially when I have no ps+, right now. I usually trust your tastes and this sounds like the kind of game that's up my alley but wanna make sure I'd be able to play it
There's a full story mode comparable to other SK games.

bread's done
Back