Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't already own the game, though, you may as well wait for the Arcade Edition version so as to save yourself time in getting the DLC characters. I do hope there's some kind of compensation for people who bought the Season Passes and/or the people who spent Fight Money to get the DLC characters, though.
Compensation is having access to the characters around 3 to 22 months early if you count from Alex (Mar 2016) to Zeku (Oct/Nov 2017)

With competition from:

Injustice 2 , Tekken 7, Guilty Gear Rev 2, Blazeblue Cross Tag, DBZF

Who honestly is going back to SFV 2 years after release.

This is 2 years too late when SFV was the only major fighter available on PS4 and the community was fresh of new comers and veterans.

Especially with this releasing a month before the release for DBZF, i see the community/hype drying up quick once again.

The Added fact that Capcom decided to release 3 characters on the same day, less than a month after release for MVCI (*Cough* cut content) and are charging $8 for each or $30 for the Season Pass (Awe thanks so much for saving me money for content i should already have).

No thanks capcom.

Didn't think they could get worse after last gen with content on disc (SF x TK) , Releasing UMVC3 less than a year after MVC3's release and having 4 iterations of SFIV fragmenting the player base.

All my capcom purchases going forward will be used and way after release (Monster Hunter World the only exception).

I'll be waiting for the capcom bankruptcy/buyout news in 5-10 years.
SFV was doomed from the start. They wanted to beat the competition and be the first big fighting game out there so they sacrificed every single thing to release a barebones product with little appeal outside of the online mode. It took them almost half a year to release a lame story mode, and it's taking them two years to release an arcade mode.

A lot of these new characters were unique enough to almost make me want to turn it on again, but then I remember how anemic the overall mechanics are and I don't give it a second thought. These new V-triggers look pretty interesting, but unless it's a complete overhaul of the base mechanics it won't be enough to sway naysayers.

I wanted to be in the game's corner, since I think it has the best additional content model of all their games. It was relatively easy for me to buy every DLC character with FM, but the interest just wasn't there for the long haul. It's only still played out of name recognition alone on the pro circuit.

MVCI is going to die a slow painful death and we'll never see another MvC game again because of it. I honestly don't know where Capcom stands at this point. At least Dragonball is going to be great.

I'll give credit that SFV has their DLC characters earnable in-game and not needing real money. That's pretty damn neat for a company that usually nickle and dimes you. I don't think any other fighting game did it, Guilty Gear I think had a fishing mechanic that might've given you DLC chars, but it was extremely random and a gatcha game. The one thing I absolutely hate though is them charging for stages, and some stages you can't buy with FM but only real money. And none of the premium costumes can be bought with FM either. DLC Stages should always be free, charging for them is a complete joke.

SFV is also dying a slow and painful death due to how simple it is. Character's main combos are usually only 2 medium buttons and a special move. Rarely do characters have good juggles or links, and if they do a better more simple character with great and easy mixups can just demolish them in the corner. The game is a complete bore compared to any other fighter.

MvCI is the game with terrific gameplay, but terrible presentation. It's like Capcom can only do one at a time for some reason, either great presentation or great gameplay, not both.

Thanks. Doubt they actually had many since the only one I wanted is sold out. It will allow you to add to cart, but won't allow you to complete the purchase.
I checked out with all except Crimson and Special, and the order went through.

Thanks, Dead_Batteries.

:vita: Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!!
:vita: XBlaze Lost: Memories
:vita: XBlaze Code: Embryo
:vita: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
:3ds: Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven
:ps4: Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
:ps4: DOOM
:ps4: Shantae Half-Genie Hero

Picked these up from the Gamestop deal ($65). I'm expecting most of these as disc/cart only, but I can print out a cover art as I am not too ocd about complete.
How did you get DOOM for 17.99 to count towards the deal? Maybe my math is off.

With competition from:

Injustice 2 , Tekken 7, Guilty Gear Rev 2, Blazeblue Cross Tag, DBZF Who honestly is going back to SFV 2 years after release.

I'll be waiting for the capcom bankruptcy/buyout news in 5-10 years.
So many great fighting games out this year, and Street Fighter's certainly not one of them. I foresee Capcom going the way of Konami in the near future.

Also, the customization in Injustice 2 really set the bar high for fighting games going forward, and it's a bar that I highly doubt any Capcom fighting will ever reach...certainly not with the titles they're putting out now. Huge fighting game fan, but even I won't touch their new stuff anymore.

Yeah, you're right. I'm just hanging out over here downloading $30 menu voice dlc for Blazblue
Oh, you mean the DLC only four people downloaded because no one else cared about it. Yeah, not helping your argument. I'm more intrigued with how Netherrealm is worst?

Let's see:

Street Fighter V at launch = 16 base characters, broken servers, littered with bugs, and no story mode.

Injustice 2 at launch = 28 base characters, tons of play modes--including a story (wow!)--and perfectly fine servers (with numerous online multiplayer options).

Yeah, darn that nefarious Netherrealm, their content model stinks. Maybe by time they get to Injustice 5 they'll get it right! :booty:

Oh, you mean the DLC only four people downloaded because no one else cared about it. Yeah, not helping your argument. I'm more intrigued with how Netherrealm is worst?

Let's see:

Street Fighter V at launch = 16 base characters, broken servers, littered with bugs, and no story mode.

Injustice 2 at launch = 28 base characters, tons of play modes--including a story (wow!)--and perfectly fine servers (with numerous online multiplayer options).

Yeah, darn that nefarious Netherrealm, their content model stinks. Maybe by time they get to Injustice 5 they'll get it right! :booty:
The number of people that bought it is irrelevant. Fact of the matter is that it exists. Imagine Capcom released something like that, your head would explode and you'd never stop talking about it.

SFV is getting content for free, all the season pass characters can be obtained for free. Pretty nice.

MvCI is the game with terrific gameplay, but terrible presentation. It's like Capcom can only do one at a time for some reason, either great presentation or great gameplay, not both.
Wish they'd do a Capcom only crossover fighter. The company has a such great roster of characters from so many games that are so underutilized

Why is SFV still a PS4 console exclusive? 

How is this new version not on XB1 and even Switch? That's such a stupid move even if Capcom is getting a check from Sony, they have to make up for the colossal fuck up MvCI was... 

Wish they'd do a Capcom only crossover fighter. The company has a such great roster of characters from so many games that are so underutilized
They sort of did, I think they made a Capcom Crossover Fighter called Capcom Fighting Jam back on PS2. It was before my time though, so I never saw much of it. Only thing I saw was a little gameplay during a mystery game tournament at UFGT. But a new iteration might serve them well. Capcom Japan made SFV, and Capcom USA made MvCI, so maybe if they worked together they might make something great.

The game just felt like an advertisement for the MCU considering the character choices. Wouldn't be surprised if they forced it to be a rush job.

What I'm trying to say is a Disney sucks and they made Star Wars lame
Good to know. Not sure why you needed to double post in order to say that, but still, good to know.

In other not-news, I've noticed that Amazon seems to be having.. "issues"? Of some kind or another. It seems like every week one of the games that are up for pre-order end up getting taken down and replaced with a "Currently Unavailable" status. Its happened with a few 3ds games and Ps4 games now, so far they all seem to have shown back up for Pre-order, but its just weird. The 25th Ward: The Silver Case Limited Edition is currently unavailable at the moment as well, but that probably has more to do with the pricing mistake on Amazon's part.

Also, Dollhouse's release date got pushed back to 2018, ugh! Annoyed! So annoyed!

Edit: At least, that's what Amazon is showing me, but they've been known to be wrong. Hopefully they are in this case.

They sort of did, I think they made a Capcom Crossover Fighter called Capcom Fighting Jam back on PS2. It was before my time though, so I never saw much of it. Only thing I saw was a little gameplay during a mystery game tournament at UFGT. But a new iteration might serve them well. Capcom Japan made SFV, and Capcom USA made MvCI, so maybe if they worked together they might make something great.
i have it, it's meh, more of a cash grab game. It did however have characters from Red Earth which was cool.
Snk's Neo Geo Coliseum was way better & fun.

Yeah, how dare they release free content and allow you to obtain all paid characters for free. Horrible. I know I'm offended.
Oh, you mean "free." The same DLC they offer for sale, along with multiple season passes---because the extraordinary amount you have play to unlock even the smallest "free" thing is insane. Have you even played the game?

Oh, you mean "free." The same DLC they offer for sale, along with multiple season passes---because the extraordinary amount you have play to unlock even the smallest "free" thing is insane. Have you even played the game?
Yep, for sale for people who don't want to play to unlock them. How many other fighting games do that? They just want $8/character and that's it. And nope, I've never liked Street Fighter.

And nope, I've never liked Street Fighter.
Let's see: Never played the game. Doesn't even know how much ungodly time goes into unlocking content and how ridiculous it is (ie reason for the paid DLC--hence, Capcom knows people will have to pay to get other characters). Defends game regardless. Yep, makes sense. Funny, how all this defense of Capcom rests solely upon SFV. Is Marvel vs Capcom offering this same "free" option. Did SF4? (Don't answer that, we all know). Did any RE game (before the multiple re-releases...)?

And still waiting to hear how Netherrealm is worst.

Let's see: Never played the game. Doesn't even know how much ungodly time goes into unlocking content and how ridiculous it is (ie reason for the paid DLC--hence, Capcom knows people will have to pay to get other characters). Defends game regardless. Yep, makes sense. Funny, how all this defense of Capcom rests solely upon SFV. Is Marvel vs Capcom offering this same "free" option. Did SF4? (Don't answer that, we all know). Did any RE game (before the multiple re-releases...)?

And still waiting to hear how Netherrealm is worst.
We get it, you have a hate boner for Capcom. A lot of people do. But that doesn't change the fact that no matter how much of a grind it is you CAN get the DLC characters for Street Fighter V for free.

You can't get DLC characters for free in Injustice 2.

You can't get DLC characters for free in Tekken 7 (unless you count Eliza, but that was a pre-order bonus)

You couldn't get DLC characters for free in Killer Instinct.

You couldn't get DLC characters for free in Mortal Kombat X.

You couldn't get DLC characters for free in Super Smash Bros Wii-U.

You couldn't get all of the DLC characters for free in Blazblue.

You couldn't get all of the DLC characters for free in Guilty Gear.

You see where this is going? Skullgirls is one of the only other fighting games I can think of that gave away their DLC characters for free to owners, and even that was a limited time thing. So hate on Capcom all you want and complain about how much of a grind it is to earn Fight Money, but free is free and very few fighting games offer that.

EDIT: I should also note that one of the reasons they were able to give away those Skullgirls DLC characters away for free was because they had raised the money needed to actually make them through Indiegogo. If they had to pay out of their own pocket the DLC characters either wouldn't exist or would have cost money from the get-go.

Agreed. SFV has a lot of problems, but their content model isn't one of them. It's actually very consumer friendly. People need to stop being so freaking biased. 

Alright, let's settle down gang..
Let Camilla Distract You!
osRBlyb.jpg

This one came in earlier today along with..

nPx02HN.jpg

Now I have all 3 :whistle2:
Thot.

All about the vamps...like duh....It just so happens a good portion of them are loli vamps...not saying that's a preference or anything  :p

But that doesn't change the fact that no matter how much of a grind it is you CAN get the DLC characters for Street Fighter V for free.
Love how one game makes the company a saint when it comes to DLC. Nice that they're sticking with that model for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, right? And all their other games! Oh, wait...

Love how one game makes the company a saint when it comes to DLC. Nice that they're sticking with that model for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, right? And all their other games! Oh, wait...
What is your major malfunction? Who said anything about Capcom being saints? This whole thing stemmed from someone saying that Capcom's model on DLC characters for Street Fighter V is better than most other fighting games (since you can earn them for free) and then you proceeding to complain about how much you hate Capcom in subsequent posts.

Like I said before, you can hate on Capcom all you want (they've done plenty wrong to earn consumers' ire), but you cannot deny the fact that their business model on DLC characters is among the most consumer friendly in any fighting game released to date. Every single one can be earned for free, and that's a model that virtually no other fighting games do. And as far as we know they're still sticking with that plan for any future SFV DLC characters.

bread's done
Back