Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if the Persona 5 art books for the US and Japan are the same?

Links here:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Persona-5-Prima-Games/dp/0744017319/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510124438&sr=8-4&keywords=persona+5

https://www.amazon.com/Persona-Official-Setting-Picture-JAPANESE/dp/B01N4LAANQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1510124438&sr=8-6&keywords=persona+5

I know a few of you got the US one recently and commented on how gorgeous it is. There's a reddit page here that shows the entire Japanese art book so you could see what it looks like. It says the US one has 80 less pages, but are the rest of the 400 or so pages the exact same, except for English? Thanks.

Anyone know if the Persona 5 art books for the US and Japan are the same?

Links here:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Persona-5-Prima-Games/dp/0744017319/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510124438&sr=8-4&keywords=persona+5

https://www.amazon.com/Persona-Official-Setting-Picture-JAPANESE/dp/B01N4LAANQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1510124438&sr=8-6&keywords=persona+5

I know a few of you got the US one recently and commented on how gorgeous it is. There's a reddit page here that shows the entire Japanese art book so you could see what it looks like. It says the US one has 80 less pages, but are the rest of the 400 or so pages the exact same, except for English? Thanks.
The US version is very similar except the "World of Persona 5" section, which the US version doesn't have the following(There might be more differences, I can't find my JP version right now :wall: ):

1. Tarot Cards

2. Blackboard Drawings

3. Font

4. Character Icons

5. DLC Illustrations (JP has a separate section for it, US only has it under characters which is quite small)

US version also randomly squeezes pictures together to save pages, nothing major but I definitely prefer the JP formatting.

Saw this earlier, Rare Blades in XC2 & matching VA with notable characters they've done in the past.

ae2.gif
I see this and all I hear is the voice of Monokuma.

Wait, the English P5 artbook is now available? I'm so out of the loop lol

I already have the JP one but I'll probably pick up the English one as well.

Wait, the English P5 artbook is now available? I'm so out of the loop lol

I already have the JP one but I'll probably pick up the English one as well.
The reviews seem pretty mixed, with most issues being the US version isn't as good as the Japanese one. So unless you really need the English, I would probably pass on it.

Didn't see anyone post this but it was on the CAG front page. Playasia has an early Black Friday sale with surprisingly good deals.

I picked up the Nitroplus Blasterz LE, and Gravity Rush art book myself. There's a few $3 off codes out there too.

Hopefully when XSeed brings Cold Steel I & II on PS4 over, they can get Falcom to put in the voice hooks in all the areas they added new voices to the PC version. Having Rean voiced in scenes where everybody else is as well does make it less jarring when he's the only mute and yet he talks in other random voiced scenes. Also would be good if the games ran at 60 FPS and included the other PC enhancements like turbo mode (not likely).

And Kondo talked about Cold Steel I & II on PS4 almost six months ago where he worded it in a way that made it sound like they were in development to be ported. Prior to that I wouldn't have believed they were coming to the PS4.

People here seem to like it, but I anticipate it'll drop further seeing how quickly it went from $60 to $40.
Was kind of hoping for this & Nights of Azure 2 on Switch as Black Friday discounts, no luck so far :whistle2:

I've got a Summon Night 6 question:

I know that the PS4 Wonderful Edition has an exclusive cover variant. Vic put out some very confusing information months ago saying that the WE from Gaijin Works directly (already unavailable when he said this because: Vic Ireland) would have the cover, but the WE from VG+ would not. Has anyone received their PS4 WE from VG+? I want to confirm if his very poorly worded message was correct or not because the eBay markup for the WE is just gross right now.

I just got an email from BB saying there was a release date change for Ni No Kuni back to 1/19 from 3/28. I guess it's not delayed after all. Lol I was kinda hoping it would be with everything I'm buying early next year.

I've got a Summon Night 6 question:

I know that the PS4 Wonderful Edition has an exclusive cover variant. Vic put out some very confusing information months ago saying that the WE from Gaijin Works directly (already unavailable when he said this because: Vic Ireland) would have the cover, but the WE from VG+ would not. Has anyone received their PS4 WE from VG+? I want to confirm if his very poorly worded message was correct or not because the eBay markup for the WE is just gross right now.
VGP hasn't shipped them out yet. They keep pushing the dates back. The current release date is tomorrow, so here's hoping.

VGP hasn't shipped them out yet. They keep pushing the dates back. The current release date is tomorrow, so here's hoping.
I guess we won't know for absolutely certain until people receive one from them, then. I still think it's shitty that Gaijinworks did this--if it's actually what they did. Why make that announcement when it's too late for people to order and then offer a gimped version at another retailer (without making it public knowledge or even 100% confirmed that it is actually different). If this is how a 'for collector's and enthusiasts' company behaves, then I think I'm pretty okay with sticking to the Atluses and Xseeds of the world haha.

I guess we won't know for absolutely certain until people receive one from them, then. I still think it's shitty that Gaijinworks did this--if it's actually what they did. Why make that announcement when it's too late for people to order and then offer a gimped version at another retailer (without making it public knowledge or even 100% confirmed that it is actually different). If this is how a 'for collector's and enthusiasts' company behaves, then I think I'm pretty okay with sticking to the Atluses and Xseeds of the world haha.
The difference between the three normal versions sold at retailers is just which character is on the image on top of the disc. Not really surprised that he's grasping at whatever he can to push sale numbers up.

You wouldn't be missing much by skipping Summon Night 6 anyways. It has the worst voice acting I've heard since Chaos Wars (which can be turned off in options), a bad translation with poor editing that makes it annoying to read and a very badly presented story. I don't think I've seen so many ellipsis in my life. Gameplay is alright with some interesting gameplay choices, but it's nothing great. The 'night' scenes in this feel horribly forced too.

The difference between the three normal versions sold at retailers is just which character is on the image on top of the disc. Not really surprised that he's grasping at whatever he can to push sale numbers up.

You wouldn't be missing much by skipping Summon Night 6 anyways. It has the worst voice acting I've heard since Chaos Wars (which can be turned off in options), a bad translation with poor editing that makes it annoying to read and an very badly presented story. I don't think I've seen so many ellipsis in my life. Gameplay is alright with some interesting gameplay choices, but it's nothing great. The 'night' scenes in this feel horribly forced too.
It's also the art on the back, but the wonderful edition (ONLY if bought from Gaijin works, not VG+--and this was announced after it was too late to do so) also has unique and exclusive cover art, bringing the grand total up to 4. And yeah, the game definitely doesn't look brilliant, but the combat and art style actually look really appealing.

just bought TOCS 2 two weeks ago, and NOW they announced a compilation PS4 port? just my luck

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
Honestly, I'll be buying them both again and playing them all over on the PS4. My hopes is we get a little more story or side stories with the added "oomph."

just bought TOCS 2 two weeks ago, and NOW they announced a compilation PS4 port? just my luck
Trails games are one of the few games I buy right away on day 1 for the sake of supporting future releaes. I own the CS games on PS3, Vita, and now CSI on steam. Honestly unless they do additional major improvements for the ps4 compilation that I do not forsee, I would expect the pc releases on steam to remain the definitive/best versions. I would speculate that the rereleases on ps4 likely will use Durante's work on the pc version at a fixed resolution, frameate, draw distance, etc. Turbo mode is the nicest improvement and going back to CSII on vita was nearly unplayable for me.

tl;dr
laura's the best cs girl. just give me CS3 and the crossbell arc already

I don't think I've seen so many ellipsis in my life.
Never seen a script for an episode of Star Trek TOS, eh?

I love Monster Hunter, never got too far in Freedom Wars or Soul Sacrifice (but found them relatively enjoyable), didn't like the original God Eater (never played any of the newer entries), and thought Lord of Arcana was irredeemable trash.

I'm getting MH World day one and am unlikely to clear my PS4 backlog before then.

Somebody tell me whether Toukiden 2 should be on my agenda.

I absolutely loved the gameplay and their general art style (Like in Odin Sphere), but I really can't get over how much I hated most of the character designs for Dragon's Crown. The characters proportions are stylized to the point of silliness (Namely the Knight and the Amazon)

And to Souffrir, I really enjoyed Toukiden 2 (I got the Platinums on it and Kiwami to prove it). Its a very long game if you plan on 100%ing it, but its also the sort of game thats more fun to play with friends.

Dragon's Crown is a solid game though. It was worth playing with friends and getting the plat.
Except you had to beat the game solo before you could even access online co-op, which is dumb. Local, I think, wasn't restricted by that. Why. I think they even take it a step further that you can't play online with characters you haven't beaten the game with. Absolutely dumb.

I never beat it because I easily get bored playing beat'em ups solo. Plus it doesn't help having to replay the game again just for co-op, which makes me less interested in it to begin with. It really annoyed the hell out of me that one co-op is available right away, but not the one I needed. All/most of the original launch info on co-op basically was about local too. Hopefully they fix that with the PS4 port, but I very much doubt they will.

bread's done
Back