Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Catherine was one of my absolute favorite games from last gen

...and I have zero desire to replay it.

There is going to be a Third Girl in Catherine FB. Lol. 

l_5a387e2eefeb5.jpg

Time to replay Catherine. :whistle2: Any details on the 3rd "Catherine"?

Catherine, Katherine, ... Qatherine? >.> Realistically I can see them using the name Rin if they don't want to use some derivative of Catherine/Katherine.

Time to replay Catherine. :whistle2: Any details on the 3rd "Catherine"?

Catherine, Katherine, ... Qatherine? >.> Realistically I can see them using the name Rin if they don't want to use some derivative of Catherine/Katherine.
Nthing besides that picture. Gotta wait till the Famitsu article comes out and/or the Reveal Stream on the 22nd.

Gundam Versus is 39.99 at Amazon right now, not sure who they're price matching.

edited to add:  and now I see it's part of the PSN sale, even cheaper with PS+.

The new girl's name is Rin, but we all know that's short for CatheRIN (or some other spelled variation of the name, without the E)  ;)

Picked up Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash on sale. While I'm sure the price will drop even lower at some point, I'll consider this an Xmas gift to myself.

Missed the chance to make her a sexy redhead named Cathryn.

Hope they add online multiplayer to this one.
I'm really glad to hear that multiplayer is being included this time around. That was my only criticism of the first game. Those puzzles would have been fun while going against another person.

Catherine is getting a remake folks.

Catherine: Full Body Announced for the PS4 and PS Vita

https://personacentral.com/catherine-full-body-announced-ps4-ps-vita/

Going to be developed by Studio Zero (the ones working on Re Fantasy) , and there will be a Niconico live stream for the game will take place on December 22, 2017 at 7:30 PM JST (2:30 AM PST / 5:30 AM EST).
I was just as hyped for Catherine as I was for Persona 5 back then since we had zero information on the next Persona game when it was announced. The gameplay ended up being nothing what I expected it'd be, but still think it's one of the most original games I've ever played. Looking forward to this, and to hearing that wonderful soundtrack again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXeL4Iwh11w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPoS0EOjDSU

This Version of Catherine just doesn't seem to fit the game seems too anime
I'm also guessing Rin is like an underaged high school girl, which ends up getting him into even more trouble.

Picked up Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash on sale. While I'm sure the price will drop even lower at some point, I'll consider this an Xmas gift to myself.
Nice! I don't know how much lower it will drop, but this seems like an amazing price to me (who bought it at launch) and it's pretty limited being a PS4 exclusive, so I can see it being rare down the line.

But we definitely gotta get some games in soon in this and Battlefront 2!

Now we're gonna get to have P5 songs on the jukebox probably yesss
I'm also guessing they will have a gag ending where we find out all these mazes are actually part of the palace in MC's head, and phantom thieves make an appearance to liberate him.

*looks sadly at still-sealed day-one copy*

:cry: :cry: :cry:
You should play and beat it. I already did the first 1 and it only too 10 hours. And that was at least an hour of idling trying to get the dopple ganger to show up.

Huge improvement over the original. Just wish you could order party members like in the first quadrilogy. Also would be nice if you could play as the others.

Anyone know if english dlc for Project Diva Future Tone will work on the japanese version of Future Tone? Saw both the game and dlc are on sale right now.

Is Blue Reflection worth the $20 from GameFly?
Yes.

Just kidding. It depends on your expectations. If you've played a Gust JRPG, then you know what to expect. If not, then it's a low budget jrpg with really cute girls and an interesting combat system. Story isn't going to blow you away.

I bought it on release, no regrets. But I'm a big fan of Gust so my opinions are not to be trusted.

That's what I was wondering. I feel like it and both of the Utawarerumono games are likely to hit $15 based on the recent prices but I'm just not sure.
Utawarerumono is quite good if you like visual novels. The characters and world building are fantastic. If you're the type that needs a story to hook you right away like me, then utawarerumono does the trick.

To anybody interested in news/info for Cold Steel IV (Sen no Kiseki IV), I recommend avoiding it unless you've played Sen no Kiseki III. Falcom will almost always put out information that assumes you've played the previous game(s) in the series. You can't be sure of everything without proper context of course, but the article writers/editors for these news aggregate sites have no idea if what they're posting is a spoiler or not.

It'd be nice if any Sen no Kiseki IV / Cold Steel IV articles were skipped over outside of mentioning a more specific release date due to how loose lipped Falcom is regarding previous games. Granted It'd be less bad if we actually had them in English already. Get on it XSeed.

The woes of a long standing 13+ year continual series that build off each other.

Oh and Sen IV is bigger than Sen III, which I believe is the biggest Kiseki/Trails game to date. They were originally supposed to be one game too. What the fuck Falcom.

To anybody interested in news/info for Cold Steel IV (Sen no Kiseki IV), I recommend avoiding it unless you've played Sen no Kiseki III. Falcom will almost always put out information that assumes you've played the previous game(s) in the series. You can't be sure of everything without proper context of course, but the article writers/editors for these news aggregate sites have no idea if what they're posting is a spoiler or not.

It'd be nice if any Sen no Kiseki IV / Cold Steel IV articles were skipped over outside of mentioning a more specific release date due to how loose lipped Falcom is regarding previous games. Granted It'd be less bad if we actually had them in English already. Get on it XSeed.

The woes of a long standing 13+ year continual series that build off each other.

Oh and Sen IV is bigger than Sen III, which I believe is the biggest Kiseki/Trails game to date. They were originally supposed to be one game too. What the fuck Falcom.
Well, I'm officially in nergasm mode. I will completely drop whatever it is that I'm playing whenever we get Cold Steel III in the West. It's by far my most favorite series and I can't wait to experience what happens at the end of CSII. I keep having to talk myself out of importing CSIII since I know zero Japanese and it would take forever to finish. I want to play it in its completely translated format.

It's going to be hard to contain myself from clicking on links about IV. This is such good news!

bread's done
Back