Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
DSDmEQeVAAAiMrP.jpg

I hope this artbook comes over here

[media]https://twitter.com/mikuexpo/status/946182658769412104[/media]
I don't think they ever stop by Arizona do they? NOT THAT I WOULD ever be seen at...one...of...these concerts. You're all glaring at me now, aren't you?

I see people complaining about the graphics of VC 4. :lol: It's the Canvas Engine though. What else can you improve on that?
It's just people complaining just to complain. Seems to be the "in" thing to do these days sadly. I for one love the graphics of the VC games since it's all about style. And I don't think any other game tries to replicate its style.

Oh, there was one other game I did beat...Layton's Mystery Journey.

Lady_Layton.png

I was conflicted about this one from start to finish. While I truly enjoyed Katrielle, Earnest, and Sherl being the new lead characters I was hoping that Level-5 would spin off of already established characters. I mean, what ever became of Descole, Emmy, Luke, or even Flora? It's even sadder that you NEVER see any of the major players of the older games. Heck you don't even see Professor Layton himself. Sorry if I spoiled THAT for you. You will see a lot of minor familiar faces though.

Kat and Co. are a very silly bunch. Seems like they have more somewhat typical tropes surrounding them than what Layton's crew had. I still had a few good laughs and I am absolutely convinced that Kat knows about Earnest's feelings...and she just keeps him around to clean up the desk. And bring tea. And run all the menial errands. Savage.
Oh, and...that bombshell at the post-credits scene...Eff you Level-5. All this "finding Professor Layton" and she may not even be related to him in any way.

The stories that make up the 12 cases you'll play do sorta have a single arc but there's hardly an overarching big "case" that ties all of them together. Up to the finale there's none of the urgency or overall mystery and danger that always compelled me to finish the other games up as quickly as I could (I can remember pulling an all-nighter to finish off Last Specter - which was considered the worst Layton game). Here, not so much. It took me months to get through it even though I could play the game at any time I had my phone. I guess that's why they split up the game in 12 separate cases.

The puzzles wouldn't have been as annoying if I wasn't overthinking stuff. Some of the same language that's used in earlier puzzles imply a trick to the right answer. Then in later puzzles have the same "what's the least amount of ways/times/quantity of something" and it's a simple straightforward answer instead. Okay so maybe because I probably have an IQ of 86. I lived (and died) by that number in college.

getsmart.jpg

...Which is also what I kept saying to myself when I kept getting answers wrong.

If anyone still is up for the task, it's Tomohito Nishura. His music still brings the sound of Layton over while expressing the cheesy moments to...make them even cheesier. You'll also hear a lot of older music including the "London" piece that I consider the best thing he's written for the Layton series. Hearing that is always a plus.

Level-5 did get one major thing right: Platforms and international release. Thanks for bringing the iOS and Android versions to us the same day Japan got it. The iOS and Android versions worked absolutely wonderfully. The only quirk is that you have to turn the phone horizontally to watch cutscenes, and then turn it back to portrait mode while in-game. Do keep the cutscenes on horizontal orientation; you'll be able to view these movies in 720P for the first time. Framerates obviously will be worse on lesser devices like an old Galaxy Tab 3. Once you get used to those two things, you'll feel right at home. Sound quality is MUCH better too; you even hear the music in CD quality 44.1 KHz instead of the 3DS' 32 KHz!

TL;DR: Being a Layton fan since early 2010 I still found it to be well worth the $18 on my iPhone with higher quality visuals and audio. It is however NOT worth the $22 premium for the 3DS. Layton's Mystery Journey gets close to good but falls short with an unexciting story and odd language in the puzzles. Kat brims with potential but better study harder if she wants to match wits with the man with the top hat.

I don't think they ever stop by Arizona do they? NOT THAT I WOULD ever be seen at...one...of...these concerts. You're all glaring at me now, aren't you?
Funny that you would say that. I dont care one lick about Miku (heretical for this thread, I know), but I almost feel compelled to go to this concert *just* because it's in the DC area.

Funny that you would say that. I dont care one lick about Miku (heretical for this thread, I know), but I almost feel compelled to go to this concert *just* because it's in the DC area.
I know what you mean. I don't really care about Miku/Vocaloid either, but if there was an event in my town I feel like I'd have to go just because it's related to my general interests and things like that don't happen often here.

The Eden of Grisaia Unrated 18+ is now available on Denpasoft for $22.49.

Link (NSFW)

Huzzah is all I have to say and I'm happy I can finally complete this trilogy, as I feel the 18+ content is more needed than some VNs, as it encompasses a bit of story.

Where did you find this? I haven't seen this one yet. Looks really nice
It's part of the [customspoiler='10th Anniversary Memorial Pack']
3.jpg
[/customspoiler] for Valkyria Chronicles 4 in Japan. The artbook covers all four games.

https://www.play-asia.com/senjou-no-valkyria-4-10th-anniversary-memorial-pack/13/70bqtj

Since it's Japan releasing it in a LE pack, I don't really expect it to go on sale outside of that. It's possible it could happen, but Japan is pretty big on their limited edition goods. Better off praying it releases in an English LE.

I hope this artbook comes over here
Where did you find this? I haven't seen this one yet. Looks really nice
[/customspoiler] for Valkyria Chronicles 4 in Japan. The artbook covers all four games.

https://www.play-asia.com/senjou-no-valkyria-4-10th-anniversary-memorial-pack/13/70bqtj

Since it's Japan releasing it in a LE pack, I don't really expect it to go on sale outside of that. It's possible it could happen, but Japan is pretty big on their limited edition goods. Better off praying it releases in an English LE.
We did get a launch edition of Valkyria Revolution (uuuugh!) so there is some hope. I think these past years Sega has been ramping up the limited and launch editions of games. That said, I think most of those are Atlus anyway.

Oh, the CD has some VC3 music? Hmm...I started that awhile back last year and then got distracted by...I don't remember what. This year I found a VC3 Extra Edition copy that was sealed for $30 at a game shop. Good thing they thought it was the original VC3, hehe.

3.jpg

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!

Makes me consider importing the Japanese LE, since I have doubts of it being brought over.

SMT5 in 2022, if we're lucky!

TL;DR: Being a Layton fan since early 2010 I still found it to be well worth the $18 on my iPhone with higher quality visuals and audio. It is however NOT worth the $22 premium for the 3DS. Layton's Mystery Journey gets close to good but falls short with an unexciting story and odd language in the puzzles. Kat brims with potential but better study harder if she wants to match wits with the man with the top hat.
You just reminded me to play more of it. I bought it for $6.99 right around Black Friday. Though the one of the first two puzzles already pissed me off with the wording and smugness. How many times do you have to touch a clock... WHAT?

You just reminded me to play more of it. I bought it for $6.99 right around Black Friday. Though the one of the first two puzzles already pissed me off with the wording and smugness. How many times do you have to touch a clock... WHAT?

I'm almost done with valkyria revolution and i enjoyed it a lot.
I enjoyed the use of magic, character designs & faster paced action gameplay.
Only negatives are the long cutscenes with military talk that bore me & if you need to grind the open 'free' missions it gets repetitive.

WIth the coming of VC4, think we'll get a HD remaster of VC2 and finally get a localized VC3? How will we know what's going on without VC3? :lol: 

Yeah, I loved Injustice 2 also! It's tied with Tekken 7 for my favorite fighter of the year, but I agree with what you said. The gear system really is innovative and completely changes how fighting games are played. Definitely recommend it to anyone, both veterans and beginners to this genre.

I like Friday the 13th, but for some reason can't seem to find games easily, almost never encountered a full lobby either.

Also, you sure are a huge Batman fan! You still have the highest score (by a lot) out of anyone on my friends list for Batman Arkham Knight. In fact, it's over 1,000 and I was struggling to break 200.
I still need to get Tekken 7. recently played a few rounds at a friend's house and it's definitely an awesome, solid fighter. I'm glad that there's such a huge resurgence of quality fighting games (I really hope Dragon Ball FighterZ lives up to the hype).

That's one of the problems with Friday the 13th, depending on the hour and day, the matches can be empty. But then there are times when they're so filled you can't get a game. I know the developer's still improving things, and releasing a bunch of free add-ons, so hopefully that fixes those issues.

Without a doubt, Arkham Knight's my favorite current-gen game thus far (and the main reason I picked up a PS4!). I never get tired of that game!

[media]https://twitter.com/mikuexpo/status/946182658769412104[/media]
I wasn't able to go the last one of these, but I really really wanted to. NYC isn't that far from me (Boston), plus there are a few things I have been wanting to do in NYC anyways - Ichiran Ramen, Nintendo Store, etc. So hopefully, I can make a trip of it and go this time :)

Inti Creates Celebrates the New Year With Digital Sale and Special Illustrations

Beginning on January 1 at 12:00am (PT) and going on until January 14 11:59 (PT), Inti Creates has discounted the following titles:

[3DS] Blaster Master Zero - 30% off (was $9.99 – now $6.99)
[Switch] Blaster Master Zero - 30% off (was $9.99 – now $6.99)
[3DS] Mighty Gunvolt Burst - 30% off (was $9.99 – now $6.99)
[Switch]Mighty Gunvolt Burst - 30% off (was $9.99 – now $6.99)
[Switch] Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack - 20% off (was $39.99 – now $31.99)
[3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt - 60% off (was $14.99 – now $5.99)
[3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 - 60% off (was $14.99 – now $5.99)
[3DS] Gunvolt: The Anime - 30% off (was $2.99 – now $2.09)
[3DS] Mighty Gunvolt - 60% off (was $3.99 – now $1.59)

Left Alive Director Teases Incoming News; Square Enix Devs Talk Plans and New Projects for 2018

The World Ends with You And Dissidia Composer Takeharu Ishimoto Resigns From Square Enix

4Gamer interviews Japanese creators on 2018 ambitions

Layton’s Mystery Journey Is Getting An Anime And Manga

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT Gets New Trailer Introducing The Villains

I totally wanna go to this. Cags in NYC going hit me up
I'm actually pretty seriously considering going to the NYC one. Just cause I've never been to a convention in NYC before, not even like NYCC, and this looks like a fun and small place to start. It's also super close, it's held at the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan, which is close to 34th St station, which is a 57 minute train ride for me to get to. And it takes place 2 days before my birthday, so maybe it'll make for a nice birthday gift.

I've only a met a CAG in real life once, Vic_x51 from the E3 thing, and I had a great time. So I'm pretty hyped for this one.

I'm actually pretty seriously considering going to the NYC one. Just cause I've never been to a convention in NYC before, not even like NYCC, and this looks like a fun and small place to start. It's also super close, it's held at the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan, which is close to 34th St station, which is a 57 minute train ride for me to get to. And it takes place 2 days before my birthday, so maybe it'll make for a nice birthday gift.

I've only a met a CAG in real life once, Vic_x51 from the E3 thing, and I had a great time. So I'm pretty hyped for this one.
If you're definitely considering it shoot me a message. I'm not the most hardcore Miku fan but this sounds like a really amazing time. I've gone to every PAX East in Boston and I made my return to NYCC this year and these nerd cons are just my favorite things. As someone who grew up in Manhattan and are still fairly close via train I'm absolutely down if some friendly cags are going

Chances are there will be and early and late show, so if you guys go to the late NYC one and there's some type of meet up sign me up.  :whistle2:​ 

WIth the coming of VC4, think we'll get a HD remaster of VC2 and finally get a localized VC3? How will we know what's going on without VC3? :lol:
Can't tell if you're joking. But you dont need to play VC3 for VC4 since you'll be playing as a completely different country.

I never got around to playing 2 and would love to see 3 come here (regardless of their reception). Since the remake of the first game on PS4 I've been hoping they do a follow up with the sequels in the same engine (since the PSP couldn't get anywhere close)

If you're definitely considering it shoot me a message. I'm not the most hardcore Miku fan but this sounds like a really amazing time. I've gone to every PAX East in Boston and I made my return to NYCC this year and these nerd cons are just my favorite things. As someone who grew up in Manhattan and are still fairly close via train I'm absolutely down if some friendly cags are going
So is this more of a concert or a con? I got the impression that it is just the former and I'm not heavy into Miku as some of you guys, though I enjoy my fair share of Jpop/kpop/rhythm games and the like.

So is this more of a concert or a con? I got the impression that it is just the former and I'm not heavy into Miku as some of you guys, though I enjoy my fair share of Jpop/kpop/rhythm games and the like.
It's purely a concert not a con.
You can either stand or get a seat but sitting is kinda lame.
standing is a scramble for the best spot up front.
vip tickets come with extra swag, [vinyl record].
i would buy certain stuff after the concert than before it. I beat up my poster this way :(.
Last time they had other miku stuff around the city like an event at kinokiniya & and an art exhibit at a gallery.

I wasn't able to go the last one of these, but I really really wanted to. NYC isn't that far from me (Boston), plus there are a few things I have been wanting to do in NYC anyways - Ichiran Ramen, Nintendo Store, etc. So hopefully, I can make a trip of it and go this time :)
i would recommend totto ramen on W 51st. It's my top pick for ramen & the tight space reminds me of exactly how japan is.
It's cash only, & usually a waiting line outside.

Ive been to the last Miku Expo in San Fran twice and the LA one. Pretty nice experience but its mostly about the crowd and gathering as watching the concert is about the same as watching a video. The Kawaii Live at AX though was awesome. I might go to the Dallas show for Miku Expo since I have family there. Also VIP is definitely worth it if you can afford it, just get in line super early.

While I have ZERO interest in this, I find it odd that these types of events always forget that there is a middle part of the country.
As someone who lives in the middle part of the country (Kasnas City), I'm used to it. Happens with most tours, conventions, etc. Sucks, but at least I save money that way. We did get the Symphony of the Goddesses last year though, that was nice.

Chicago Population 2.7 mil
Entire Cook County 5.2 mil

Austin and Dallas combined is a little over 2 mil
Fair enough for Chicago, seeing as it’s also a major travel hub. I guess they consider it close enough to DC to not warrant a showing. 🤷‍♂️

Texas would be considered for the entire south.

If anyone is interested, Tales Of Berseria - PlayStation 4 is back in stock at Best Buy for $15.99 w/ GCU. Game has been getting a bit scarce going up in price lately.
Thanks for the heads up. Been waiting for it to come back in stock. Gunna use a Rewards Cert.

Spoke too soon. Unavailable for shipping despite being able to add to cart. smh

EDIT: It came back in stock. Hope I get it

Another IMG for the Pyra Figure

DSQdaQLU8AE-2PA.jpg

I don't think it'll match my collection but I feel like need this figure :whistle2: 

It's purely a concert not a con.
You can either stand or get a seat but sitting is kinda lame.
standing is a scramble for the best spot up front.
vip tickets come with extra swag, [vinyl record].
i would buy certain stuff after the concert than before it. I beat up my poster this way :(.
Last time they had other miku stuff around the city like an event at kinokiniya & and an art exhibit at a gallery.
Thanks for the info, sounds interesting enough. I might be down if a group comes together for this.

Another IMG for the Pyra Figure

DSQdaQLU8AE-2PA.jpg

I don't think it'll match my collection but I feel like need this figure :whistle2:
I feel Iike those who designed this figurine thought Pyra wasn't sexualized enough..... :whistle2:

The Aegis should not be held like that :rofl:(or maybe its just the angle, or maybe im just crazy)

bread's done
Back