Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Year of the dog =(
The Lunar New Year isn't until February 16th though. So we're technically still in the year of the Rooster.
Rooster took care of Dog so it's Rooster for another year.

c2fclKw.gif

Would love to see Juuni Taisen recreated with the cast of Etotama.

That is a let down as I was looking forward to actually playing Psycho-Pass. At least Sony is slightly stepping up their game when it comes to PS+ titles. 

So with Warriors All-Stars, I appreciate they are doing something different with the level mechanics and team skills but I am also glad I did not buy it for full price. The mix of franchises is surprising since they really dug some out of nowhere and is about the closest thing to a musou mugen game you can get. 

So, hope y'all had a good New Year's Eve and all. Here's hoping this year is good for games (all things Falcom, hehe).

You just reminded me to play more of it. I bought it for $6.99 right around Black Friday. Though the one of the first two puzzles already pissed me off with the wording and smugness. How many times do you have to touch a clock... WHAT?
Lol that puzzle. I got away with that since I remembered the second puzzle's solution in Azran Legacy was similar (the same) so I was just like...oh...well what if I try this...Yup.

And yeah I did resort to a guide quite a bit. When Layton's Mystery Journey came out I was flying home from a business trip. I'm sure the other passengers sitting next to me saw me mouth the words, " fuck this puzzle" a lot.

Wait what? Maybe if they give the characters more personality, backstory, and more complex stories it could work. IMO not the best framework to make a show on.

Another IMG for the Pyra Figure

DSQdaQLU8AE-2PA.jpg

I don't think it'll match my collection but I feel like need this figure :whistle2:
I took a break last week from JRPGs after the marathon run that was Tokyo Xanadu eX+ and played Star Wars Battlefront II (story was good I actually finished FIVE games in 2017!!!! ...if only the MP and the loot stuff wasn't so messed up). Last night I started Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the first appearance of Pyra...it's not wrong to be like

tenor.gif

right?

Doesn't help considering the...placement of the camera angles during cutscenes.

Psycho-Pass isn't showing up on the free ps plus games page. Only shows up if you manually search for it. The Vita version is free which is the one I wanted so I'm fine with that.

Edit: It shows up now.

Got :vita: Pyscho Pass too. This should be a nice VN to fill between :vita: RPG and :vita: action games.
I've gotten to where I snag all of the free PSN games, but I've had my eye on Psycho Pass for some time now. I'll probably add it to my 52 game challenge for 2018.

Just brought my first full priced statue (Tracer from Overwatch), I feel like I have ascended to a new level of nerdiness. Lucked out and got like 20% off too since it was the last floor model so yay cheapassery as well.

Yay! Thanks! It is still Chidori, but i figured it was time for a new one :) I'm hoping this is the year they announce a remake/remaster.
remake plz. remaster would be pointless at this point considering they already have 2 other versions. plus at best all it would likely add is skill select via fusion and maybe fuse fes and p3p together.

Monster Hunter World releasing more than ten months later on PC is pretty bad. I planned on buying it for the PS4 anyways, but that will likely hurt the PC sales short term anyways. So long as it releases in a good state and not like a Koei Tecmo state, then it should still gain traction on PC.

I wonder if a PSN group should be created for Monster Hunter World.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/948694058716758016

For those who pre-ordered, it looks like Skullgirls Vita is finally coming (soon). There's a legitimate timeline on the table, at the very least.

Got :vita: Pyscho Pass too. This should be a nice VN to fill between :vita: RPG and :vita: action games.
Fair warning: You'll most likely get annoyed by the 2-3 seconds of loading every time a new character portrait appears on-screen. Overall I found Psycho-Pass to be just OK compared to other visual novels I've played.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/948694058716758016

For those who pre-ordered, it looks like Skullgirls Vita is finally coming (soon). There's a legitimate timeline on the table, at the very least.
lol. 5 weeks. Finally got approved. At least Ravi was right about the time he gave me. (5 weeks to manufacture/arrive).

So 5 weeks + 1-2 weeks for LRG to ship my shit. Honestly hope this gets more priority in shipping than whatever release they have at the time. It aint cool if they prioritize March LRG releases over a preordered game people have been waiting for for over a year. See you March Skullgirls Vita.

Psycho Pass is showing as a Free PS+ game on PS4 now. Just added it to my library.

Wonder if they had a change of heart?

Anywho, will have to wait to play it until after I finish Steins;Gate 0

Cancelled my Fighterz preorder. Anybody else do this? The game has some issues imo...

roster is a little small, especially for a 3 character fighter.

Graphics aren't very good. I guess I'll just wait for a price drop. I feel like they'll drop a bunch of dlc too

Cancelled my Fighterz preorder. Anybody else do this? The game has some issues imo...

Graphics aren't very good. I guess I'll just wait for a price drop. I feel like they'll drop a bunch of dlc too
I really doubt anyone can convince you to give the game a chance. You're most likely not a fan of competitive fighting games, and you probably think DBFZ looks like a mobile game. Spend your money however you like, just know that you're missing out on a game designed with the utmost respect and admiration for its source.

They're charging $100 for a deluxe version on Steam and they won't even say what comes with it. It's not looking good.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think there was a leak a little while back that detailed what came with the $100 ultimate editions (Xbox One) and the $40 season passes. I think it's 8 characters, the anime soundtrack packs, and some lobby avatars or something.

I did but that was because I decided I was going to work on my approved backlog list in 2018 before buying anything else. Only exception is the next Atelier game in March and hoping to be done before Valkyria 4. Problem is with monsters like Y's VIII, FF XII Zodiac Age, and Shadow Tactics in that queue it will not be a quick run.

Currently trying to complete Fallout 4 so I can get to some of my damn backlog for once.

Are you excited for all the version of Goku and Vegeta they have?

I sure am!

No I'm not

That wouldn't be pointless for me as I would buy that but would prefer a remake.
I've already played it 3 times so skill select wouldn't be enough for me to buy it a 4th.

First thing I would do right away is take all the unused days on the island vacation and tokyo trips and put in new dungeons, minigames social link advancement into those slots so they aren't complete wastes of time.

Mc sports section would be remade so that you auto max star or at least get it close to max instead of that wasting the players time idiotically. Femc route did a much better job with Ryu from the tennis team. Speaking of which I would add a timed dungeon for just the femc I guess in inaba since you go there during the femc's tennis team tournament thing. Maybe add some of the mc's links to her side and vice versa since you see magician track ect on her side pretty frequently anyway.

They're charging $100 for a deluxe version on Steam and they won't even say what comes with it. It's not looking good.
Wouldn't be the first game to not announce what it comes with. But this isn't one of them: The FighterZ Edition includes the game and the FighterZ Pass, which adds 8 new mighty characters to the roster.

But I did keep my preorder for MHW. I know some people are down on it but I think it looks great still. I hear it plays great on my pro as well.

also waiting for the new Ys game to get its translation corrections.

bread's done
Back