Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wish we could get a Shining Force IV for modern systems. Or even a re-release of SF1-3 in a complete package. I'd pay $200+ for it without a moment's hesitation.

Maid MItsuru:

2aaee56b5ab615a8f29516f54b6b9ae2f2f0be71_hq.gif

The FF14 soundtrack is awesome. I found one moderately cheap from a 3rd party on Amazon one day. Since the expansions there are four or five soundtracks now and I'd like to have them all one day. But I highly recommend the original Before Meteor soundtrack. Keep in mind they are blu rays, so you have to listen to them on a playstation or a bd drive, but it has something like 120 tracks and feels endless.

I want to get all of those. Too bad I don't enjoy the game as much as ARR back in 2014. The elitists that come in an no-life those games always kinda ruin them. (the economy, guild recruitment, housing shortage, etc)
I haven't even play 14 (yet?), but from what I've heard the soundtrack is definitely great =)

A thread showed up on ResetEra complaining about the costumes. :lol: 

Then I see a screen cap of users from 2ch telling the foreigners to stop complaining and fk off. :lol: 

I don't want to browse Era anymore. 

They should change Resetera's name to Thisoffendsme.com

of course the OP is a guy with an avatar that's a reference to some hentai site too.  Good lord these people are terrifyingly creepy.  Like the neighbor dad in American Beauty. 

Complaints about costume *options* baffle me more than other complaints. It's just an optional costume you don't have to equip. It's not like you're stuck using it or anything.

Resetera (and previously gaf) is the dumpster of the internet where hypocritical social media warriors who do their best to find everything offensive congregate.

"... And seven of those nine are Neptunia games. But regardless, all nine will share the exact same engine and resources."
And half of those Neptunia games will be a remake of the original 3 with new characters that aren't as good as the originals. Also, for some reason, an Omega Quintet HD sequel.

Resetera (and previously gaf) is the dumpster of the internet where hypocritical social media warriors who do their best to find everything offensive congregate.
Gaf and era taught me that claiming that xbox might not have very many exclusives this gen is a big 2-day ban no no while applauding cop killing is A-okay.

They're a rational bunch.

New Mangagamer release today (Draekon already put in weekly, but I mention these since they're not as often).

A Kiss For The Petals - Maidens of Michael Yuri VN - $31.49 on Steam and $31.45 on Mangagamer:

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

Adult 18+ patch available on Mangagamer site.

Their next game is Funbag Fantasy: Sideboob Story releasing March 29, 2018. Price for pre-order is $40.45.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

I really liked the first one, but it is a Nukige and has a real plot. Really good fantasy and very good art. Easily a buy for me, and not sure about Maidens, but it's a maybe for now.

For people who want a regular game box and not a metal slipcase. I'm actually leaning towards a standard copy (and thankful for the option) because the metal slipcase wouldn't match my other games' box sizes and I wasn't a fan of Square-Enix's artbook packaging for Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition and Rise of the Tomb Raider for similar reasons.

I like slipcases as long as they don't add too much bulk. Honestly some like the World of Final Fantasy PS4 Launch Edition where too big and bulky and didn't fit well in my entertainment thing. It's cheap, but other blu rays and PS4 games fit well.

For people who want a regular game box and not a metal slipcase. I'm actually leaning towards a standard copy (and thankful for the option) because the metal slipcase wouldn't match my other games' box sizes and I wasn't a fan of Square-Enix's artbook packaging for Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition and Rise of the Tomb Raider for similar reasons.
The Draconic LE comes with the standard copy and a slipcase. So it's not a case of where it's one packaging over another.

The Draconic LE comes with the standard copy and a slipcase. So it's not a case of where it's one packaging over another.
It does? That's news to me. The image I posted earlier in the thread says that edition "features the game in [NOTE: not "with"] a collectible metal slip case", but based on the size of the slipcase, the standard game case wouldn't fit inside that. Then again, the angle could be making the slipcase look slimmer than it actually is. Confirmation on this would be nice.

Shining-Reso-Refrain_02-21-18_Launch-Edition.jpg

It does? That's news to me. The image I posted earlier in the thread says that edition "features the game in [NOTE: not "with"] a collectible metal slip case", but based on the size of the slipcase, the standard game case wouldn't fit inside that. Then again, the angle could be making the slipcase look slimmer than it actually is. Confirmation on this would be nice.

Lookup an unboxing for the CE of Odinsphere on PS4. I expect it will exactly like that.

I think you're thinking of a steelbook. In this case, it's a slip case which is used to cover a case, the standard edition.

Past Sega/Atlus launch edition release were advertise specifically as steelbook and comes with a plastic slipcase.

Edit: Fixed up grammar/odd wording

Lookup an unboxing for the CE of Odinsphere on PS4. I expect it will exactly like that.
I think you're thinking of a steelbook. It's a slip case, which is used to cover a case which would be the standard edition.

Past Sega/Atlus releases were launch edition were specifically steelbook (which were advertise as steelbook) and comes with a plastic slipcase.
Thanks, guys. If you're right (and I hope you are), I'm in for the Draconic Launch edition.

EDIT: D'oh, I should have just looked at Amazon's image for the PS4 version:

81AYXLyd0GL._AC_SL1458_.jpg
:oops:

Thanks, guys. If you're right (and I hope you are), I'm in for the Draconic Launch edition.

EDIT: D'oh, I should have just looked at Amazon's image for the PS4 version:

81AYXLyd0GL._AC_SL1458_.jpg
:oops:
You’re not alone Vigilante. I was trying to make sure the Draconic Edition came with a standard edition before ordering too. I prefer to have standard editions over steelbooks and things similar to steelbooks. I just don’t like the way they look in my collection.

Hmm, a slipcase for a Switch game....looks like the art on it will be slightly cut off on the side when compared to the PS4 and XBO slipcases.

Not sure if I should go with Switch or PS4

...So should I even keep playing FFXV yet? I started it at launch, got distracted by other games, then decided to hold off until Episode Ignis came out, but there's going to be even more? :roll:
They mentioned last year that they wanted to do more episodes in 2018. As someone who has kept up with it and played everything I don't think the dlc really adds much to the main game story-wise. The best part about them is that they took that work and put it into the main game with character swapping. That is a really fun feature.

That said at this point I'd at least wait until the royal update stuff is out and play the game then, they are making changes to the armiger system (which is a pretty big part of combat) and expanding the final chapter.

...So should I even keep playing FFXV yet? I started it at launch, got distracted by other games, then decided to hold off until Episode Ignis came out, but there's going to be even more? :roll:
Yeah, call me when the game is done. I'm tired of the Square Enix business model. It's not a consumer's job to facilitate your cashflow problems nor alleviate your crunch deadlines. Plenty of other companies are releasing finished games.

Yeah, call me when the game is done. I'm tired of the Square Enix business model. It's not a consumer's job to facilitate your cashflow problems nor alleviate your crunch deadlines. Plenty of other companies are releasing finished games.
It looks like this isn’t just a Square Enix model though. Everyone seems to be jumping on board the games as a service mentality. It makes more money.

bread's done
Back