Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, it’s no problem. I’m unfamiliar with either language and $13 for the Chinese version is much better than $40 for the Japanese. And based on reviews I’ve read, knowledge of the language isn’t really needed for the gameplay. Thanks!
Ugh, I should have taken a chance on it--Uppers is OOS now. :bomb:

Yeah, I placed an order for Coven a few days before NISA caught it as well with the usual "I can always cancel it later" mentality. Guess I should've waited for once, but I am very thankful I used PayPal so they only really got my address

Damn, so NISA was compromised? Fortunately my last order from them was in October of last year.

But I still need to pre-order the Atelier Lydie LE.....

Guess I should probably use paypal on that site from now on.

I assume UPPERS would be pointless to get if I don't know Japanese or Chinese? I thought we'd have a version by now based on the trophy list being in English: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5069-uppers

At the very least, I'm in for the Asian versions of HDN Re;Birth1 and DW8 Empires.
Actually, Uppers is not that difficult if you don't understand Japanese or Chinese. Great game! Picked it up in Akiba with the soundtrack two years ago.

I was reading through the information on God Wars The Complete Legend and saw this.

“Instead of releasing the retail versions of God Wars: The Complete Legend on PS4 and PS Vita in the west, NISA will allow owners to download the additional story content for free via the respective PSN.”

I’m pretty excited about this and never thought we’d get it all for free. Now I can keep the Vita version and not worry about getting the Switch version.

Anyway, just thought I’d point that out for anyone that didn’t know or didn’t read through the link that was provided by Supplice earlier.

Cool for pointing it out for God Wars. We usually get screwed for upgrades to games and improved versions and such, which generally are never free.

Anyone that cancels their order for their game because they got it for free must not care about the franchise's future.
I never buy digital if it's not PC only, but Yakuza 5 was my 1st digital PSN game purchase just to hope they would continue to port the franchise.

Looks like Sega has revoked the ability to play the yakuza 6 demo for everyone.

Probably doesn't change much for most people here already getting the game. Those shot glasses are nice.

Does PlayAsia usually restock during sales. Should have ordered Uppers but now it's OOS. Still want to get Dynasty Warriors but not sure if I should wait to try and get them together

Does PlayAsia usually restock during sales. Should have ordered Uppers but now it's OOS. Still want to get Dynasty Warriors but not sure if I should wait to try and get them together
If they have stock incoming, normally they will allow orders, and state the estimated ship time in the details. If its an item they have no plans to restock, it will just be OOS. I have seen them offer OOS items later on, but never for any great amount of time. So those items may be cancelled orders, or left overs.

There's a 90-95% chance this will just be some mobile game announcement. :bomb:
It will be a mobile game that is directly ported from mobile 1:1 onto PC and Console, like all their other older catalogue of games. They've done it to just about everything else, so I feel like they're using the "Why not this?" mentality at this point for any other game that hasn't already received this treatment.

I'm just a pessimist when it comes to Square games being remade/ported.

At first I thought it was a brand new game, since I never played the PSP one...but yeah...I'm guessing some mobile port too. I always put my S-E expectations extremely low. Actually it was the PS3 era where I lost my expectations for S-E games. I have about 5% hype for FF7 Remake, especially since I beat the original at least 3-4....maybe more times. KH3 is about 20% hype, though I'm sure it will be fun to play. I usually look to Atlus/Sega and others for more expectations.

I have a similar expectation type for NISA and Iffy/Compile Hearts games. The RPGS for Iffy/Compile Hearts are somewhat generic, and NISA dungeon crawlers and turn-based strategy games are fairly trite and not as exciting.

Still awaiting another good Valkyrie Profile game. Exist Archive was underwhelming, and I hope Indivisible will be good. I guess Fallen Legion was decent, but still spent satisfy that thirst.

Still awaiting another good Valkyrie Profile game. Exist Archive was underwhelming, and I hope Indivisible will be good. I guess Fallen Legion was decent, but still spent satisfy that thirst.
I had such high hopes for Exist Archive. I have yet to play it, mind you, but the response to it has not been what I was hoping to see. Then again, I haven't played VP2, so I should probably just go do that.

Someone on another forum challenged me to replace my floor with DS games, so I thought, why not?

cyZe7R7.jpg

t7NzKkX.jpg

qe0EqtY.jpg

gaPklPo.jpg

Ooqr1sS.jpg

1y7JSnk.jpg

JweyLpB.jpg

sNX1tlb.jpg

5tU87JX.jpg

HGU6X8C.jpg

Apparently, I do have enough DS games to replace the floors in both rooms with DS games. ^___^

Motaku96, now everyone who buys it now without the discount looks like a perv! I will keep an eye on it though. I prefer VNs myself.

So I preordered The 25th Ward: The Silver Case Limited Edition on Amazon when they had it on sale for $29. I went to check the site but I only see the standard edition for order. Anyone ever seen this happen before.

So I preordered The 25th Ward: The Silver Case Limited Edition on Amazon when they had it on sale for $29. I went to check the site but I only see the standard edition for order. Anyone ever seen this happen before.
I checked my order history and its still there, though when I click on the link for it it goes to a page that is not found. This is supposed to come out 3/13 right? Guess we will find out soon if the orders are good.

Two VNS from Denpasoft (sorry late for launch discount on one of them):

Seven days with the Ghost $9.99 (NSFW)

VNDB

This one is a Yuri game and deals with an occult club member and the last days of the club while she explores the 7 wonders of the school.

The newest one is:

Girls in Glasses $8.99 (NSFW)

Pretty much is a guy spending time with 2 new girls and a childhood friend at the beginning of a new semester, and they all wear glasses. I may give impressions for this, as I'm likely buying it.

used the 15 off 75 Ebay deal to finally pick up some Japan Imports I've been eyeing for a while.

Airship Q, Idolmaster Platinum Stars, and Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition

Nice. How many games was that btw?

When they mentioned walking on it, it made me wonder how a floor would look if game cases were put down with an acrylic (or similar) coating on top of it to make it an actual floor...
500+, closer to mid 500s.

It would be interesting if someone ever actually went for this, and then sealed it. XD

Nice. How many games was that btw?

When they mentioned walking on it, it made me wonder how a floor would look if game cases were put down with an acrylic (or similar) coating on top of it to make it an actual floor...
I thought the exact same thing. Then I actually thought how hard it would be to dig out and play a game I wanted if I had the sudden urge to play one. Still would look really cool though.

I thought the exact same thing. Then I actually thought how hard it would be to dig out and play a game I wanted if I had the sudden urge to play one. Still would look really cool though.
lol, well I'd probably recommend emptying the cases first ;)

Not a whole lot this week that isn't a port or visual novel of some kind. If you're into DJMax, you've got that. Otherwise it looks like Root Double from Sekai Project is finally releasing on the Vita. Although there is a Miku VR game on PC being published by Degica too.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Into the Breach (Strategy)

Weekly Releases (March 4th - March 10th)

DJMax Respect
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Rhythm / Music
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Digital only.

Fear Effect Sedna
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: Stealth / Action
- Online: N/A

Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Contains all DLC from "Season One". Will not contain DLC from "Season Two"

Life is Strange: Before the Storm (Physical Edition Release) + Farewell Episode
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Adventure
- Comments: Farewell episode releases, along with physical edition (Except PC). Game is a prequel to the original.

Way of the Passive Fist
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Beat'em Up

Super Hydorah (Limited Run Games Release)
- Genre: SHMUP
- Comments: LRG Physical release. Releases Friday.

Fallen Legion: Sins of an Empire (Limited Run Games Release)
- Genre: RPG

Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion (Limited Run Games Release)
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: RPG

Velocity 2X: Critical Mass Edition (Physical Edition Release)
- Genre: SHMUP / Platformer
- Comments: Physical edition release. Contains all expansions and extra levels.

Root Double: Before Crime * After Days - Xtend Edition
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on PC. Published by Sekai Project.

ACA NeoGeo: Real Bout Fatal Fury
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Local only.

The Men of Yoshiwara: Ohgiya
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome

FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 & XB1. Should contain all Season One DLC, much like the console's Royal Editions.

Ignis Avis Venatio
- Genre: Visual Novel

Lonely Yuri
- Genre: Visual Novel / Yuri
- Comments: DLSite published?

Frequent Flyer: A Long Distance Love Story