Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing wrong with DLC inherently, I just basically don't buy any of it. :razz:

Never cared for it; never felt the need to buy any.  There's maybe one game a year where I'll buy the additional content, and that's more "games-as-a-service" type stuff.  Whatever my mainstay is, like Destiny or FF14.  As far as other games go I play them to completion and then I'm finished.  When I'm done, I'm done.  I rarely go back for more content later.  You also don't get good value per dollar spent.  Even the games I loved, especially the ones I platinum or 100%, I've never felt the need to buy the DLC.  Zelda: BotW, Mariokart, Horizon, Bloodborne, never bought DLC for any of them. 

The feeling of finality is a good thing. It's hard enough to see a long game through to the end. 

So what is all the hype about Muv-Luv and why should I buy it?
Waifus in bodysuits and mechs.

5910b0d84bf1fb46e1cd8dd1c8f210d9_original.gif

I don't mind DLC after the fact....like later on some stories want to be told or something, but not when they feel like unlockable extras (like items or costumes), cut from the game, or just random junk (extra music in a game....not rhythm). Short missions providing an hour or 2 of extra content are also no nos for me.

Something like what was considered expansions before, such as the DLC for Witcher 3, or some Bloodborne DLC, are good in my eyes. I do like feeling complete games, and I hope RDR 2 doesn't feel cut up cause of bogus DLC practices.

Deciding there will be dlc before you even release the game when it's been in development for this long is a no-no to me.
Yep. I used to get mad about DLC, now I simply don't care that much.

I'd much rather a developer come out and say "our game is awesome, it's huge, and it's going to be valued at $100", and then put the entire game on the disc. Sell me a complete game.

I have no issue with spending more for truly great gaming experiences. But I don't like being nickle and dimed. Alas, that is never going to happen because customers can't get over the mental hurdle of games costing a max of $59.99. So developers have found ways to circumvent that.

Muv-Luv Alternative is the highest rated visual novel on VNDB and has been for years (above Steins;Gate). The less you know going in the better, but if you're a fan of the visual novel genre it's really a must-play kind of thing.
Is it the kind of thing where I can just buy muv luv alternative or should I buy both? Is there a specific playing order?

Is it the kind of thing where I can just buy muv luv alternative or should I buy both? Is there a specific playing order?
minor spoilers

been awhile since i played it but muv luv the first game was just learning about all the people in the game the girls that like him and his school life. truthfully playing blind at the time it bored me to tears thinking it was to pg, the second game thu epic and was worth it.

not sure if muv luv alternative will be as impact full not knowing events from first game since it fleshed out the people and added to it least my PoV i think it worth your money getting the set.

Or just get it on pc. Though I do like playing vn's in bed.
Is that a euphemism?

Seriously though, the Steam Link Android app seems to work pretty well with VN's. I was playing Princess Evangile on my phone just last night. Not much different than playing on a vita, particularly if you have one of those fancy Bluetooth controllers with the phone mount.

Yep. I used to get mad about DLC, now I simply don't care that much.

I'd much rather a developer come out and say "our game is awesome, it's huge, and it's going to be valued at $100", and then put the entire game on the disc. Sell me a complete game.

I have no issue with spending more for truly great gaming experiences. But I don't like being nickle and dimed. Alas, that is never going to happen because customers can't get over the mental hurdle of games costing a max of $59.99. So developers have found ways to circumvent that.
I really don't feel like I've played an incomplete game (except maybe MGS 5) so I am fine with the current DLC practices. Let me choose whether or not I want more of a game instead of the only options being spending $80-$100 to get everything or waiting for the "complete edition" to go on sale.

Tokyo Ghoul: re Call to Exist first screenshots

"Tokyo Ghoul: re Call to Exist is a third-person perspective survival action game set in the world of Tokyo Ghoul and Tokyo Ghoul: re. Online, the game supports battles with a large number of people, as well as co-op battles to survive with friends."

New Gundam Breaker launch trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOpu3dOgfmE

Crystar first screenshots, story details

Resident Evil 2 Remake Experimented With Old School Camera, No Plan For Switch Version

At the expense of boring everyone, DLC is something I've always compared to items in home video releases. What I watch/play is based on how much I like the movie/game, or how much it adds to the experience. I won't dislike a movie just because it cut out scenes I like for the theatrical release. If it's a movie I care enough about though, I will make sure I get those scenes if they're available.

A) Things like costumes, weapons, and other minor packs are like special features (interviews, audio commentary, behind the scenes featurettes).
B) Stages and new game modes are like cutting room floor content (Director's Cuts, deleted scenes, "lost" episodes).
C) Asura's Wrath (on a side note, there's only one movie I would buy if it came without the ending; A.I.)

Steam Summer Sale starts today in about three hours. There's also a Paypal $5 off $30 on Steam when you pay with paypal. It's limited to the first 40,000 people who save the offer:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/offers?view=details&offerId=6SZC7GFHU83A2

I don't expect the offer to last too much longer since its been live for for at least nine hours or so, but I thought I'd throw it out there for those interested since the Steam Summer Sale should begin today.

EastAsiaSoft is doing a physical release of this on Play Asia. On sale next Thursday

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZThMe1bkrc[/media]

Steam Summer Sale starts today in about three hours. There's also a Paypal $5 off $30 on Steam when you pay with paypal. It's limited to the first 40,000 people who save the offer:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/offers?view=details&offerId=6SZC7GFHU83A2

I don't expect the offer to last too much longer since its been live for for at least nine hours or so, but I thought I'd throw it out there for those interested since the Steam Summer Sale should begin today.
Whoa thanks. Claimed the code. Will try it out later. Not sure if it'll work on just adding credit to my wallet or if it has to be a game purchase.

I noticed Gamestop started selling some of the more rare Japanese figures that people usually have to import. Racing Miku Figma, Persona Figmas, 1/8s, etc.

Racing Miku 2018 Figma $99.99

Persona 5 Joker Figma $85.99

Persona 5 Panther Figma $89.99

Persona 5 Caroline and Justine Good Smile 1/8 $165.99

They might be a bit over priced though, but good if you have some excess credit.
"A bit" is an understatement. Even America based figure shops don't price gouge that much.

I'm so worried about Omega Labyrinth, guys.
Me too, me too. It's one of the last vita games that I'm really excited about.

Whoa thanks. Claimed the code. Will try it out later. Not sure if it'll work on just adding credit to my wallet or if it has to be a game purchase.
It works on adding credit, but since the Enhanced Steam 'Custom Amount' option doesn't currently work the only way to add $30 specifically is via editing one of the buttons lower than $30 by inspecting and editing the page.

The $5 discount lasts until June 30th I think. Just make sure you sign into Paypal during checkout if it's previously saved.

Like Draekon said, you can add $30 for $25, which is what I did. Did have to do a little (relatively simple) HTML editing though. Can't figure out an easier way to embed it into the URL to make things easier for others.

Oh nice for the adult patch. I need to check my backerkit for the Muvluv kickstarter.

First of all summer sales all around. In addition to VNs on Steam from all companies, Mangagamer has theirs going on as well as Denpasoft. Go get some 18+ VNs! I'm just going to buy Maidens of Michael.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Denpasoft (NSFW)

A train VN game Maitetsu is currently up for pre-order and set to be released by the end of June exclusively on Fakku by Sekai Project / Denpasoft. This is some game where aerocrafts took over and the previous system RailRoad was abandoned. The main character activates a locomotive and tries to save his hometown from being polluted and running an aerocraft factory. I pre-ordered it cause it has a pretty good following.

Fakku (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Don’t like how it’s worded as “a statement”. Expecting a cancellation or something of sorts but here’s to hoping not.
The situation is pretty weird, when news broke out that Playasia cancelling preorder, PQUBES quietly removed OLZ from their domain. To this day, it hasn't come back yet.

I never preorder from Playasia so I dom't know if they use random date as placeholder, but OLZ English PAL version now has an expected ship date June 30th on Playasia.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I'm not crazy about fighters but Blade Strangers looks like pure fanservice.

And I can't give up on Omega Labyrinth until the fat lady sings. I have to keep hope alive.

I'm not crazy about fighters but Blade Strangers looks like pure fanservice.

And I can't give up on Omega Labyrinth until the fat lady sings. I have to keep hope alive.
If the complexity of fighters turns you off, then Blade Strangers is a good opportunity to try and get into the genre. It has very simplified inputs, and if I recall correctly, they're similar to Smash Bros, where you can hold a direction and press a button to perform a special attack.

If the complexity of fighters turns you off, then Blade Strangers is a good opportunity to try and get into the genre. It has very simplified inputs, and I recall correctly, they're similar to Smash Bros, where you can hold a direction and press a button to perform a special attack.
In a sense, its similar to Phantom Breaker with the smash-style special moves too, but both PB and Blade Strangers are different games.

I hate that Steam disables previews in search during sales. The new line of PlayStation Hits begins releasing this week as well, so I went ahead and included those. It's another week of mostly ports and re-releases, but there are a couple new games that might be worthwhile in there to a couple people. I'm hoping Rainbow Skies is less boring than Rainbow Moon was personally.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- N/A

Weekly Releases (June 24th - June 30th)

Lumines Remastered
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: Puzzle
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Rainbow Skies
- Platform(s): PS4, PS3, Vita
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Same dev who made Rainbow Moon. Cross-Buy & Cross-Save.

Slime-san: Superslime Edition
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Platformer / Precision & Speed
- Comments: Previously released on Xbox One. Contains all DLC to date.

Fighting EX Layer
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Yes?
- Comments: Digital only.

Ikaruga
- Genre: SHMUP
- Comments: Digital only.

The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga (PS2 Classic)
- Online: ???
- Comments: Digital only. Contains KOF ’94, KOF ’95, KOF ’96, KOF ’97, and KOF ’98.

Bloodborne (PlayStation Hits)
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: $20 'Greatest Hits' Re-release.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience (PlayStation Hits)
- Genre: Third-Person Shooter / Stealth

Street Fighter V (PlayStation Hits)

Yakuza 0 (PlayStation Hits)
- Genre: Action / Brawler

VA-11 Hall-A (Limited Run Games)
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Visual Novel / Simulation / Cyberpunk
- Comments: LRG Physical Release.

2064: Read Only Memories (Limited Run Games)
- Genre: Adventure / Cyberpunk

Xenon Valkyrie+ (Limited Run Games)
- Genre: Roguelike / Action Platformer / RPG

Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome
- Comments: Related to Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
- Platform(s): Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: 3D Platformer
- Comments: Previously released on PS4

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - Donkey Kong Adventure (DLC)
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: SRPG

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (Day One Adventurer's Edition)
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 & PC.

Galak-Z: Variant S
- Genre: Twin-Stick Shooter

NieR: Automata - Become as Gods Edition
- Platform(s): XB1
- Comments: Contains all DLC I believe?

Whip! Whip!
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action / Arcade

The Player RPG
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: I don't think this is an RPGMaker game even though it looks close.

Maitetsu
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Sekai Project published. It's about trains.

Past Releases
June 17th - June 23rd
June 10th - June 16th
June 3rd - June 9th
May 28th - June 2nd
May 20th - May 26th

bread's done
Back