Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that phone stuff sounds pretty practical. I type in “my” and my phone suggests myanimelist even though I’ve only watched like two anime in my life

Currently watching Jojo though and it’s amazing, highly recommend
I was thinking the same thing! LOL

Now that phone stuff sounds pretty practical. I type in “my” and my phone suggests myanimelist even though I’ve only watched like two anime in my life

Currently watching Jojo though and it’s amazing, highly recommend
I really loved the first couple seasons. But once they got to all that animal cruelty I was prettymuch done.

If they do another season past josuke and jotaro I don't know if I would watch it unless they tone down the constant animal killing. Whoever did jotaro's season obviously had some type of trauma involving dogs >.>

Mine says hulu.  Which is weird since i never use hulu on my laptop anymore now that I can run it on my vita 2ds and all my other consoles.  jojo wise I happened to be looking it up because I was curious about if they ever finished josukes adopted sisters backstory and apparently they didn't.  Thats too bad.

Joestar family tree is certainly nuts.  josephs got 3 kids ones in his like 50s one in his teens and a baby.

Get those eBay deals while it's hot (or before sellers mark up the prices whichever happens first).

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1012701495647612931

Did anyone submit for the pin set for buying the three VNs from Aksys over the past few months?  I e-mailed my receipts in a few days ago and haven't heard anything or received the Paypal link to pay the shipping.

Some weekly VN news:

Two big releases this week each with an 18+ version.

Evenicle was released by Mangagamer and is an RPG/VN Alicesoft 18+ game. It's well regarded with art from the Senran Kagura artist and supposedly is pretty fun. I'll see when I get to it.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Maitetsu was release by Sekai/Denpasoft but the 18+ release is only on Fakku right now. For those who want to buy it from Steam, they are also selling an 18+ patch. It's another well regarded long VN. I also think the eroge scenes are animated, which should be neat. I'll see when I get to it.

Fakku (NSFW)

Fakku 18+ Patch for Steam Version (NSFW)

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

Also NekoNyanSoft released a blog post hinting for release windows for Hello, Goodbye and Sanoba Witch. The bad news is Hello, Goodbye is delayed till around November. The other looks to be an October release.

Link

There will likely be lots of announcements next week as Sekai, Mangagamer and I also believe Denpasoft all have panels. Looking forward to it.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1012736170424320008

For those Miku/Project Diva fans interested, there's a sale going on (runs until 7/16/18). The only DLC on sale is the (select) Future Tone stuff (Colorful Tone or Future Sound or the Bundle, and the Season Pass [includes all 3 encore packs and avatar icons for PSN account]). And yeah, also went to Miku Expo this year, it was really awesome, lol.

Maitetsu was release by Sekai/Denpasoft but the 18+ release is only on Fakku right now. For those who want to buy it from Steam, they are also selling an 18+ patch. It's another well regarded long VN. I also think the eroge scenes are animated, which should be neat. I'll see when I get to it.

Fakku (NSFW)

Fakku 18+ Patch for Steam Version (NSFW)

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)
Should be noted the steam release of maitetsu is incredibly affordable at $12($15 msrp w/ 20% discount for first week).

Also there's an issue with the uncensor patch where it's not really restoring all the content. Fakku is working on getting it fixed with sekaiproject.

Did play asia stop giving $5 coupon? Didnt get one with Reverie
Bummer but you can always use CENSORED to get $3 off. I think there are a few other reusable coupons floating around. I think there was even a $6 off one but I can't remember what it was. Red-something. I'm planning to get Bullet girls so I'm hoping to find something better to take bit off that limited edition cost.

CENSORED courtesy of Censored gaming

BLUEVITA takes 3% off(courtesy of Bluemaxima)

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1012736170424320008

For those Miku/Project Diva fans interested, there's a sale going on (runs until 7/16/18). The only DLC on sale is the (select) Future Tone stuff (Colorful Tone or Future Sound or the Bundle, and the Season Pass [includes all 3 encore packs and avatar icons for PSN account]). And yeah, also went to Miku Expo this year, it was really awesome, lol.
If I haven't played a miku game since the psp, is the Project Diva Future Tone bundle the best bang for my buck right now?

Best bang for your buck. Some of the arcade like controls take a while to get used to, but it's a lot of songs. I do love my Project Diva F and F 2nd though.

Maitetsu does look worth it even without the 18+ content. Of course everyone knows what version I'll play though.

Bummer but you can always use CENSORED to get $3 off. I think there are a few other reusable coupons floating around. I think there was even a $6 off one but I can't remember what it was. Red-something. I'm planning to get Bullet girls so I'm hoping to find something better to take bit off that limited edition cost.

If I haven't played a miku game since the psp, is the Project Diva Future Tone bundle the best bang for my buck right now?
Yes. It is like a ultra complete set of all "diva" series but with slightly tweaked controls and updated graphics.
Best bang for the buck

Shining Resonance Refrain Gets One Hour of New PS4 Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prnl6BX_jec

This shows combat off better than the demo did for those curious. Though the combat isn't as fluid as a Tales game per say and will always feel at least somewhat clunky.

I finally tried the demo and while the combat felt ok, I was really put off by the VN presentation of most of the story. Probably just continue working through the games I already have going and wait for a good sale on it.

Oh yeah, for anyone wondering about Future Tone, there's a physical "DX" version, which includes everything from the digital version (Future Tone Bundle and Season Pass content on Disc), except for probably the Extra Encore pack, which costs separately, however, its only in JP/Asia regions (with no English Subs) and kinda costly at the moment. However, the game does include a Platinum for those trophy hunters though, lol.

I doubt Sega would probably do a physical English release of PD Future Tone DX physical, since they've never did so yet. I mean, there's still lately of other Sega localizations, so, who knows.

Not really anything worth noting this week. Also in the last four weeks, only one week has has a 'Drop' post from Playstation on their blog. Oh well.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- PHOTON CUBE (Puzzle)

Weekly Releases (July 1st - July 7th)

New Nintendo 2DS XL Hylian Shield Edition
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Hardware
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Comes with The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds pre-installed.

NEKOPARA Vol. 1
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Kinetic Novel

- Comments: I think the PS4 release is only in Japan currently. No 18+ scenes, obviously.

ACA NeoGeo: Samurai Shodown V
- Genre: Fighting
- Comments: Digital only

Pocket Rumble
- Genre: Fighting

Yuso
- Platform(s): Switch, PC
- Genre: Puzzle

Valerian Tales
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel / Episodic

Super Dangerous Dungeons
- Genre: Puzzle Platformer

18 Floors
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Genre: Escape Room / Puzzle
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Visitor 来访者
- Genre: Mystery / Detective / FMV
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Colorzzle
- Genre: Puzzle
- Demo: Kinda
- Comments: Has a 30 level free version out there somewhere.

Black Dream
- Genre: Adventure?

Past Releases
June 24th - June 30th
June 17th - June 23rd
June 10th - June 16th
June 3rd - June 9th
May 28th - June 2nd

I finally tried the demo and while the combat felt ok, I was really put off by the VN presentation of most of the story. Probably just continue working through the games I already have going and wait for a good sale on it.
Yeah, that's understandable. I just mentioned it because I previously mentioned that the demo doesn't really do well to showcase the gameplay.

hmm fire emblem path of radiance echoes or just a switch release?  If its the former I would totally buy it in a heart beat.  I already have the original though so a port wouldn't do anything for me.

I already got akibas beat on ps4 months ago from amazon for 11$ new iirc. I almost bought it for the vita since it was like 5-8$ but I I read it didn't run as good.

Got to ask is this worth it? I mean I love the other ones (Estival was ok) but this one just seems like "nonsense" (yes I know how that sounds for this type of game series)
I generally don't like squad shooters and I had a good time with it. There's quite a lot to it and it's a little overwhelming at first, but it's not a difficult game to complete. I can't speak to its multiplayer at all, though.

Well, Amazon Prime still hasn't done any July free games like the past couple months. So far all they've done it add games for short periods of time leading up to their Prime Day sale. First up is Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition (CRPG) which lasts until July 4th:

https://www.twitch.tv/prime

Like other Amazon/Twitch Prime games, they can only be downloaded and played through the Twitch client.

EDIT 3: Looks like they added in the SNK Bundle finally.

EDIT 2: There seems to be an issue regarding claiming Pillars Definitive Edition. If you received the non-definitive edition, you should receive the definitive edition by end of day tomorrow it sounds like.

EDIT: Full list of the free games coming:

Source

• Pillars of Eternity Definitive Edition: July 2nd—July 4th
  • Metal Slug 3: July 3rd—August 2nd
  • The Last Blade: July 3rd—August 2nd
  • Twinkle Star Sprites: July 3rd—August 2nd
  • QUBE2: July 3rd — July 4th
  • Battle Chef Brigade: July 4th — 11th
  • Manual Samuel: July 5th — July 12th
  • GoNNER: July 6th — July 13th
  • Next Up Hero: July 7th — July 14th
  • Uurnong Uurnlimited: July 8th — 14th
  • Hue: July 9th — July 15th
  • Deponia Doomsday: July 10th — July 16th
  • >Observer_: July 11th — 17th
  • Tacoma: July 12th — July 18th
  • The Bridge: July 13th — July 26th
  • Brutal Legend: July 14th — July 27th
  • The Red Strings Club: July 15th — July 21st
  • Tyranny: July 16th — July 18th
  • Broken Age: July 17th — July 31st
  • The Framed Collection: July 18th — July 31st
  • Serial Cleaner: July 18th — July 31st
I'll try and re-post on the days the bolded ones go live if I remember.

Weekly free PSN junk:

No new thread related add-ons, themes, avatars or demos.

Mid-Year Sale (Lasts 2 weeks)

July PS+ Games

The sale this week has A Hat in Time on sale for 35% which I still very highly recommend. I don't believe there are any plans for a physical console version of it. Otherwise, it's a new month which means new PS+ games listed, so be sure to grab those.

And lol, Amazon Prime gets even worse. Discount no longer applies to remasters/releases. Spyro Trilogy, Mega Man X Collection, and Disgaea have their discounts pulled already. Vesperia and Shenmue still seem to have the discount(for now).

^ They're probably viewing them as "bundles" even though they're not bundles, especially the Disgaea 5 switch version. If I had a link to complain to them, I'd probably do it just because. They make it way too difficult to do that these days.

bread's done
Back