Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
^Missed opportunity if they don't add water/splash effects to some of her moveset

EDIT: Jeslous of you guys getting your Muv Luv stuff already. Still waiting on mine

For those who received their codex: Is the cover super grainy? Like they just took a 480p image and blew it up?

Well, I can be surprising that yes, that's a real good Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds LE, and Vita's gonna get the OD version too? (Or just the original vanilla version without the O/D extras?)

Either way, would be nice, but I've already got PB:BG on mostly all platforms, except on the Switch, would be nice to pick up the LE, though I can't if I already had the game digitally. >.> (And Phantom Breaker: Extra on PS3.)

Anyways, I'll be contempt with the English Artbook by Udon.

And yeah, Evo stuff this weekend.

I hope Tag Battle never takes off or we'll get nickel and dimed to death for base content in every fighting game from now on. This is literally the worst game DLC wise i've ever seen, it deserves way more negative press.

I hope Tag Battle never takes off or we'll get nickel and dimed to death for base content in every fighting game from now on. This is literally the worst game DLC wise i've ever seen, it deserves way more negative press.
It's already very successful considering the controversial business model. If they priced the base game at $30, this would have been a lot better.
But SFxT still holds the record for worst business practices in fighting game history.

Still would've preferred for them to have released Blazblue Cross Tag Battle with all DLC Characters in the same package for $60-70 rather than split the roster in half and attempt to sell the other half in 6 separate packs. :T

For those who received their codex: Is the cover super grainy? Like they just took a 480p image and blew it up?
Yeah, mine is OK, I wouldn't really say a blew up picture, but maybe a lower quality one or just not a very good choice in pictures. I've seen better, and I've seen some worse.

Anyone have a Play-Asia $5 off coupon they aren't going to use? Thinking about making a decently big order there
Sorry about that, but my latest one expired the 24th of last month. I've actually been doing a little home organization this weekend, so if I run across one today, I'll for sure PM it to you.

Not much in the way of new games this week that aren't ports. If you enjoy roguelikes, then you may want to check out Dead Cells that's releasing this week on console.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- N/A

Weekly Releases (August 5th - August 11th)

Dead Cells
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch
- Genre: Roguelike / Metroidvania
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Digital only. Physical releasing in a couple weeks. Previously released on XB1 & PC.

City of the Shroud
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: SRPG
- Online: Yes.

Defenders of Ekron – The Definitive Edition
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: SHMUP / Twin-Stick / Adventure
- Comments: Digital only. Improved edition over the original with new difficulties, a boss rush mode, etc.

Phantom Breaker (LRG Release)
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Beat'em Up
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Physical Limited Run Games release. The Vita version does not include the DLC.

Slain: Back from Hell
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: 2D Platformer / Action

Okami HD
- Genre: Action-Adventure
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, XB1, PC & Older Systems.

SubaraCity
- Genre: Puzzle
- Comments: Previously released on the 3DS.

Monster Hunter World
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action RPG / Monster Hunter
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 & XB1. Uses Denuvo.

Deiland
- Genre: RPG / Sandbox

High School: bisexual experience
- Genre: Visual Novel / Dating Sim?

your diary+
- Genre: Visual Novel

Past Releases
July 29th - August 4th
July 22nd - July 28th
July 15th - July 21st
July 8th - July 14th
July 1st - July 7th

Still would've preferred for them to have released Blazblue Cross Tag Battle with all DLC Characters in the same package for $60-70 rather than split the roster in half and attempt to sell the other half in 6 separate packs. :T
Technically, the game itself, if you pre-ordered back in the day on Amazon (with a prime sub) or Best Buy (with the late GCU sub) was $40 ($50 w/out discount), so technically, you were essentially getting the game, and the All-in-one DLC bundle ($20 extra separate) for $60. Or $70 without the sub discount from those retailers. And this was for the standard edition copy. (US LE is/was online shop exclusive tho.)

I'm going to wait for the physical version of Dead Cells (for Switch, PS4) as that is supposed to come out in a couple short weeks (8/21, I believe).

Sorry about that, but my latest one expired the 24th of last month. I've actually been doing a little home organization this weekend, so if I run across one today, I'll for sure PM it to you.
Thanks. Thought I had one too, but it also expired. Not that $5 is a huge savings but if I'm able to get one that'd be rad. Appreciate it!

Best girl in P5A

Dj2_Dh_Mj_X4_AEEZnu.jpg

Technically, the game itself, if you pre-ordered back in the day on Amazon (with a prime sub) or Best Buy (with the late GCU sub) was $40 ($50 w/out discount), so technically, you were essentially getting the game, and the All-in-one DLC bundle ($20 extra separate) for $60. Or $70 without the sub discount from those retailers. And this was for the standard edition copy. (US LE is/was online shop exclusive tho.)
Talking about it being one disc. It was clear from the get go that all the characters were ready but then deciding to split off the roster into 6 dlc packs is a lame move.

Their Special Edition shouldve include the all the DLC for the price you were paying

Super Smash Bros. Direct announced for August 8

https://twitter.com/nintendovs/status/1026202051884150784

Xbox JRPG Exclusive are words that do not fit well together in this day of age and somehow it happened.

Nintendo (Obi-wan), PlayStation (Anakin), PC (Palpatine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRXm2zFAmwc

At least the devs are optimistic in knowing it's going to bomb and get it released on PS4 or Switch right afterwards.

I've got a $5 Play Asia code that goes bad... uh today.  Free for anyone who wants it.

HG-FMR-Q66.

Minimum purchase of $60.

Anyone have a Play-Asia $5 off coupon they aren't going to use? Thinking about making a decently big order there
Someone posted one on the previous page. Go backwards until you find it. Maybe it wasn't used yet.

If you can't get a code, use CENSORED for $3 off or BLUEVITA for 3% off. Whichever comes out to be cheaper.

Btw, the Fate Extella Link Limited edition with the mahjong tiles is on a flash sale at Play-asia right now for $99.99.

The game itself is most likely going to get localized but if you want the LE...

I just tuned in to Street Fighter V at Evo, and saw Rainbow Mika in her default costume. I'm guessing it's not airing on TBS this year. I'm going to root for an Ibuki player.

Someone posted one on the previous page. Go backwards until you find it. Maybe it wasn't used yet.

If you can't get a code, use CENSORED for $3 off or BLUEVITA for 3% off. Whichever comes out to be cheaper.
How long has the bluevita code been around for? I've definitely placed some orders over $100 where it would have been advantageous to use it.

I just tuned in to Street Fighter V at Evo, and saw Rainbow Mika in her default costume. I'm guessing it's not airing on TBS this year. I'm going to root for an Ibuki player.
Yeah, it seems to not be on live television this year, probably for the better since DBFZ finals ran so late, and they would've either had to delay the broadcast or move DBFZ off stage. And I think EVO was on ESPN 2 last year, TBS is for the E-League thing they do if I'm not mistaken.

Overall, the top 8s for all the games were super hype and amazing, and the game announcements were pretty sick too! I especially like the Tekken 7 season pass 2 reveal. Also, Nine and Akihiko announced for BBTag makes me have to pick it up now.

Yescerritos.
Thanks! Some crazy people kept insisting it was only for store pick up.

Btw, the Fate Extella Link Limited edition with the mahjong tiles is on a flash sale at Play-asia right now for $99.99.
$50 shipping 😂😭

Yeah, it seems to not be on live television this year, probably for the better since DBFZ finals ran so late, and they would've either had to delay the broadcast or move DBFZ off stage. And I think EVO was on ESPN 2 last year, TBS is for the E-League thing they do if I'm not mistaken.

Overall, the top 8s for all the games were super hype and amazing, and the game announcements were pretty sick too! I especially like the Tekken 7 season pass 2 reveal. Also, Nine and Akihiko announced for BBTag makes me have to pick it up now.

Thanks! Some crazy people kept insisting it was only for store pick up.
The game is definitely getting localized. Xseed had a playable english demo at anime expo.

So I decided to check AMZ JP since I had it saved in my cart. I found a Vita LE version for almost $80 shipped. I couldn't translate the page, but there's been 2 listing for both PS4 and Vita, one for Amazon exclusive and one regular, and this appears to be the regular LE version on sale: Link here

Resident Evil 2 — Capcom Surprised by Strong Pre-Orders; Discusses Focus on Reception over Sales

Devil May Cry 5 Was Born Because the Fans Wanted it; Capcom Aims to Appease Fans, Within Reason

Capcom Aims to Expand on Monster Hunter World’s Success with Next Games; Home Console Release Was a Big Risk

Square Enix Teasing A New Bravely Game On Twitter

Kamen Rider: Climax Scramble Zi-O Is Headed To Asia With English Subtitles

Warriors Orochi 4 Gets New Screenshots and Art Showing New Character Perseus and More

Square Enix announces Gamescom 2018 lineup

• Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (PS4, PC) 
  • Final Fantasy XIV Online (PS4, PC)
  • Kingdom Hearts III (PS4, Xbox One) 
  • Just Cause 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC) 
  • Life is Strange 2 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4, Xbox One, PC) 

Sega announces Gamescom 2018 lineup

• Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise (PS4)
  • Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight (PS4, PS Vita)
  • Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight (PS4, PS Vita)
  • Team Sonic Racing (PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • Total War: Three Kingdoms (PC)
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PS4, XBO, Switch, PC)

Yakuza 3 PS4 Remaster Gets New 1080p Screenshots Showing its Minigames

New Fighting EX Layer Free Characters Pullum Purna and Vulcano Rosso Shine in New Gameplay Videos

Soul Calibur VI’s New Characters Seong Mi-Na and Astaroth Look Awesome in New Screenshots and Art

Tekken 7’s New Characters Anna Williams and Lei Wulong Shine in First Screenshots After EVO Reveal

My Hero One’s Justice Announces Playable All For One With New Screenshots

New Street Fighter V Gameplay Videos Introduce Sagat and G’s Fiery Moves

Memories Off: Innocent Fille after-story fan disc announced for PS4, PS Vita, and PC

Negan getting added was completely unexpected, but I'm pretty excited about that.

Though I do feel he would have been better suited for Injustice or Mortal Kombat.
I think he'd also fit in quite nicely in Soul Calibur--due to him having that bat as a major characteristic.

bread's done
Back