Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Left Alive Is Coming West On March 5, 2019 For PS4 And PC With A Mech Edition And More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbEtwQdXKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZUN0eME7Nc

20181009_082259.jpg

Dragon Quest Producer Wants To Bring Dragon Quest X To The West, Possibly An Offline Version

Dragon Quest Producer Wants To Bring Dragon Quest IX To Smartphones

Touhou Double Pack With Soujinengi V And Genso Maroku W Releases For PS4 In Japan On October 15

DEAD OR ALIVE 6’s Brand New Female Character Fights with a Style Never Seen Before in DOA

Resident Evil 2 Deluxe Noir Costumes Get First 1080p Screenshots; They Unlock Black and White Filter

Sony Confirms Next-Generation PlayStation Hardware Is “Necessary,”

Kamen Rider Climax Scramble Releases In Asia On November 29, 2018

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 HD Arrive on Xbox One Backward Compatibility Today

Yeah, SEGA/AM2 killed their 3D classic line up and then some, and I promoted those every chance I got. I even double dipped on many, as I bought many digital and then bought the physical cart once it was offered. Looking at SEGA's list next to "N" titles, it really makes me want to cry, "3D", what a complete and wasted opportunity. "N" main excuse was that the early titles didn't sell well(their favorite past time, blaming consumers for their own weak ass efforts), so they stopped the 3D classics pretty early on. So someone thought 3D Urban Champions was a good idea, and then when it sold poorly, they are surprised and shocked, typical "N" BS!

My dream 3D title was Star Fox from the SNES, but just getting that on VC was a pipe dream, so hoping they would actually make a 3D version was a pretty far stretch on my part. SNES seemed to barely be offered, and where unique to the "NEW" model, so getting 3D SNES games was probably a pretty big wish, sadly. Punch-Out for the NES or SNES would have been my second choice, but I did think the NES version had a good shot early on, but Urban Champion pretty much killed that with it's on bare pixelated hands. LOL
SEGA does what Nintendon't.

Weekly free PSN junk:

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

PS4

- Lovers Theme

Cryptract (Free to Play)

PS4

- PS Plus Reward (PS+ Only)

PSVR Celebration Sale

Only on Playstation Sale

Weird, the sales are no longer contained under "Weekly Deals" on the site but instead on the 'Featured' menu with all the other links? That's a bit of a dumb change if it's permanent. I almost didn't catch it, but I also have no idea if this weeks sales are new or old either if this started last week.

Humble Discovery Pack Bundle (PC Steam Keys)

$10

- War for the Overworld (+ Heart of Gold DLC)

- Osiris: New Dawn

- Kentucky Route Zero (Season Pass Edition)

- RWBY: Grimm Esclipse

- Phantom Brave

- Tricky Towers

- 1 Month Rooster Teeth Sub (New Subs Only)

Since it includes Phantom Brave and RWBY, I figured I'd post it here. I hear Kentucky Route Zero is pretty good if you're into adventure games and War for the Overworld is a fairly decent dungeon simulator and RTS reminiscent of the old Dungeon Keeper from the late 90s. It's a pretty decent bundle for $10.

I forgot that it was hitting today. Here's some more info:

• Halloween Terror lasts from October 9th to October 31st.
  • Event Arcade Game is still Junkenstein's Revenge, but includes two more characters to choose from.
  • List of new skins and highlights (They're actually pretty good this time)
  • You can login to PlayOverwatch.com to keep track of what you have or use the item tracker I typically list, which should be updated within 24 hours.
  • Patch Notes in Gif Form. Includes a re-work for Torbjorn. (Full Notes)
  • If you haven't played in a while, the new Map, Busan, has been live for a month now.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can claim another Golden Loot Box via Twitch. Good until November 5th.

I just saw the new Overwatch items. I'm going to have to redownload it just to redeem Pharah's skin. I'll probably play enough to get the weekly loot boxes. I have 30K gold, so I don't need to worry about it.

I think there's been two new characters and two new maps since I last played. And quite a bit of reworks.

Has anyone else taken a look at their Fist of the North Star decals yet? Just wondering if they're all the same, or if different copies come with different decals.

Mine were "Hidebu" and "Shitballs."

I just saw the new Overwatch items. I'm going to have to redownload it just to redeem Pharah's skin. I'll probably play enough to get the weekly loot boxes. I have 30K gold, so I don't need to worry about it.

I think there's been two new characters and two new maps since I last played. And quite a bit of reworks.
I started playing again recently in between different games and the new stuff i've noticed was new character is wrecking ball, reworks for sym & ana. I heard there's a torb rework too, but not sure if that's live in the newest patch with the halloween event.

EDIT: new map is Busan AFAIK and Rialto maybe from the last anniversary event

I got extremely excited when I started reading this sentence, thinking it was going to say Remakes were coming. But it's just soundtracks :(
would love remakes of those. Especially binding blade because A. it was never localized and B. it badly needs one. There is no way in hell I am EVER recruiting percival again.

Are there any games that you all could recommend that are similar to the Breath of Fire series? I've been having a huge urge to play a Japanese RPG style game like that one, where you can level up your characters, turn-based combat, great story, along with various activities you can do on the side. I loved fishing in the Breath of Fire series XD

Are there any games that you all could recommend that are similar to the Breath of Fire series? I've been having a huge urge to play a Japanese RPG style game like that one, where you can level up your characters, turn-based combat, great story, along with various activities you can do on the side. I loved fishing in the Breath of Fire series XD
What system? If you're talking SNES or PS1, theres a lot.

I'd recommend Suikoden II if you haven't played that one yet. Probably my favorite turn based rpg and it is playable on Vita.

The Trails in the Sky (PSP) are better than the 2 Breath of Fire
Love that series but today I would point someone to the PC versions on steam. Especially now that the 3rd is available as well. Need Crossbell!

No, I actually (shamefully admitted) never heard of it. I'll check it out though, thanks!
Wild Arms has a PS2 remake called Wild Arms Alter Code: F I believe. It makes it a bit more playable as the first one is a little bit rough around the edges. I liked Wild Arms 2, but didn't care for 3 which was on PS2. 4 & 5 were also PS2 and not quite as good as the earlier ones, but they were still decent.

You've also got Suikoden 1-2 on PS and 3-5 on PS2 like mentioned earlier. You can ignore the 3DS one. Tactics I think was alright if memory serves. A lot of people disliked 4, but I didn't view it as that bad. Most hate I heard about it was because nobody knew there was a button to speed up sailing bits.

Arc the Lad 1-3 are on PS but are SRPGs instead of standard turn-based RPGs. First one is a bit rough, however it's short and gives backstory to the second which is really good in my opinion. Third is decent, but not terribly great. The rest that are on the PS2 (Twilight of the Spirits and End of Darkness) were pretty terrible in my opinion.

Trails in the Sky and Trails in the Sky SC are on PSP. The third one is only on PC in English. Honestly the PC version is better because of the built-in improvements (turbo mode and such) as well as script improvement patches that the PSP version never received. Like usual, I highly recommend this series.

Grandia is on PS while Grandia 2 is on PS2. Though both are being brought to the Switch this Winter that are HD Remasters. Otherwise the HD Remasters are only on PC in English. Grandia 3 is pretty meh, but the battle system is still solid. Pass on Grandia Xtreme unless you enjoy grinding in the series.

Tales of Destiny and Tales of Destiny II (Also known as Tales of Eternia). Solid games and unfortunately we never received the real Tales of Destiny 2 or the directors cut of the first one. I really enjoyed Tales of Eternia, but Tales of Destiny isn't remotely as good as the directors cut. It's still decent though.

I'll go ahead and throw in Alundra as well. It's not an RPG and is more of an Action-Adventure similar to Zelda. I remember enjoying my time with this game quite a bit.

Lunar 1 & 2. I'm not going to really say much about them, but I'm sure you've heard of them if you haven't played them. Easily the most 90s anime themed of the lot. Although Grandia isn't far behind.

Legend of the Dragoon I'll put in as my final one even though I could probably spout off more. It has a unique timing system similar to Shadow Hearts which is a PS2 series. Granted the origin of Shadow Hearts is Koudelka, which was on the PS.

There are of course more. Lots more. These are a good amount of the ones that have series, whether they're directly connected to each other or not. Except for the final one which isn't apart of any series.

EDIT: There's also a lesser known Action RPG that was released extremely late on the PSP life cycle here. It's called Brandish and is an older style game. It is a bit of a top-down dungeon crawler where enemies move when you do. Has a fair bit of puzzles, but it's pretty good.

Lots of VN news!

First of all Mangagamer released Bitter Exclusion. A nukige with some NTR = not for me.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Mangagamer is also having a moeday sale till 10/17.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Mangagamer also put Evenicle (an eroge RPG) on Steam. It's pretty good, but it's easily a toned down Rance type game. Still lots of love making and other acts of eroge. This is an 18+ game.

Steam (18+ game)

Eden* Mosaic 18+ DLC was also released on Steam. This is the adult content for the highly regarded VN.

Steam

Sekai Project published two VR VNs on Steam. They are two Innocent Forest 1 and 2 from MyDearest Inc. I don't have VR so no buy for me.

Innocent Forest 1 Steam

Innocent Forest 2 Steam

Also release date announced for the Sekai Project translated The Ditzy Demons Are in Love With Me. It is 10/26/2018, which is also around Loca-Love's release date (10/25) and same as Sanoba Witch's release date. All 3 I'm getting but wow....lots of good VNs there IMHO. Note Ditzy Demons is considered a nukige so 18+ version likely highly recommended and will be the version I get! My Halloween will be awesome  :razz:.

Jast USA is also having a moe sale till 10/14.

Jast USA (NSFW)

Jast USA announced 12/19/2018 as their release date for BL game Sweet Pool.

Also as I mentioned before some VNs need your help. They are on Kickstarter with a few more days remaining and both need help. They are VenusBlood Frontier and Loca-Love.

VenusBlood Frontier Kickstarter with about 7 days to go and needing a bit over 6k.

Loca-Love Kickstarter with 35 hours to go needing about $2,370. This is for physical goodies, but also offers a discount Steam code, which is what I'm pledging.

I'm backing Loca-Love, but will back the other one if needed. If you want physical goodies or VenusBlood they can use some help.

anon released 3 translation patches for KanoB*tch, Nariyuki Papakatsu Girls, and Sobo to Boku. Not going to lie,none of these are for me,but i'll give a little description of each.

Kano - A revenge game about a guy seeing his childhood friend and getting angry and jealous.

Girls - A game where a girl is bored. She has a friend engaging in acts for money and convinces her to try it because it's fun.

Sobo - A guy loves his grandma a lot and she is eager to please.

Kano VNDB (18+)

Girls VNDB (18+)

Sobo VNDB (18+)

Another translation released is Bishoujo Mangekyou from omegastar translated by Euphemic Translation. It's about a teacher in an all girl school who hasn't done anything to his students, but he meets a goth loli vampire and stuff happens. It looks OK and supposedly is animated, so I might check it out somewhere down the line.

VNDB (NSFW)

Lots of news and help out the Kickstarters if you want to, which I gladly will.

From what I've seen, "Intimacy Mode" is just rubbing down and fondling the women and a model viewer of sorts?

I generally don't really care for that, aside from the model viewer aspect, which is a cool feature for any video game, but this censorship is bullshit. Sony is getting obnoxious. No one is going to change their mind about buying Senran Kagura because they removed that mode. I don't need them to police content. I'm capable of making my own damn decisions, thank you.

Even when they removed that awful Super Seducer game from their stores, I was disheartened. People should be allowed to make garbage if they want, just as the public has a right to tell them it's garbage. Freedom of expression through games should be encouraged, and anything short of illegality or adult-only content should not be moderated.

From what I've seen, "Intimacy Mode" is just rubbing down and fondling the women and a model viewer of sorts?

I generally don't really care for that, aside from the model viewer aspect, which is a cool feature for any video game, but this censorship is bullshit. Sony is getting obnoxious. No one is going to change their mind about buying Senran Kagura because they removed that mode. I don't need them to police content. I'm capable of making my own damn decisions, thank you.

Even when they removed that awful Super Seducer game from their stores, I was disheartened. People should be allowed to make garbage if they want, just as the public has a right to tell them it's garbage. Freedom of expression through games should be encouraged, and anything short of illegality or adult-only content should not be moderated.
Yeah intimacy mode in the other titles was never that bad, forcing them to remove it is pretty bad. Steam used to have the problem where they wouldn't allow games to have adult only content, but I guess there were enough complaints so they stopped doing that recently.

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1050920336219430914
That Sony let's XSeed publish it but then remove certain features/modes is IMHO worse. It's strange because the audience for a game like this are obviously older players (thus the M rating); it doesn't make sense to pressure (or force?) the publisher/developer to change the game, especially one like this. Since when did Sony bother policing these sorts of games? It's very odd because Sony let far more "questionable" content to be released on Vita with hardly a blink (see, i.e., Valkyrie Drive).

While I understand Sony may be worried about its PS4 brand, this sort of micro-managing either needs to be consistent and can't be based on when they "just feel like it." If this is a new approach, XSeed may need to think twice before signing on the next Onechanbara remake.

arc the lad wise 1-3 are all ps1 since they are part of the collection along with arena. I know because I own them all physical.  four is ps2.  lets pretend five doesn't exist. twilight of the spirits is fine minus how unbalanced your units were.  Paulette and maru are insanely broken while deimos are mostly mages and are not great at their jobs.  Bebedora is a trip.  I loved her ability to control enemies.

The one thing people complain about is the final boss.  None of them use the light equipment though. The game gives you a shop right outside of his room that sells light element equipment so you can deal increased damage and if you use the air ships on top of maru paulette it goes down easy even if you are underleveled.

One is the best in series.  two nerfs everything from one on top of being too god damn long.  Its not very good srpg wise.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Mangagamer also put Evenicle (an eroge RPG) on Steam. It's pretty good, but it's easily a toned down Rance type game. Still lots of love making and other acts of eroge. This is an 18+ game.
One of the Mangagamer guys grabbed a screen of Evenicle hitting the steam top seller charts and even outselling FFXV!

That probably only lasted for a nanosecond, but it made me very happy.

bread's done
Back