Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
First SK I'm gonna pass on. I'll import instead.

Best policy is to not localize, which is what I wish NISA did with Criminal Girls 1+2. 

I'd rather push for an Asian-English-only release, such as, what TK did with DOA Xtreme 3.

if Sony really double down on their new policy, anyone else think previous SK games like Estival Versus and Peach Beach Splash are in danger of getting pulled from PSN?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I don't think we have to worry about Estival Versus or Peach Beach Splash getting pulled. If anything they will just get a patch to remove Intimacy. If you want to avoid that possibility move the games to an external drive, and disable automatic update downloads whenever you use that drive. But, you won't be able to use online features anymore.

Actually, you might have to play those game while not connected to PSN as well. I'm not sure if you can cancel updates when you start a game up. Even if you can you'd have to hope it's not a small update that beats you to canceling it. Once you get it the only way to revert to an earlier version is going to 1.00 on a disc copy.

I don’t understand the disconnect between the ESRB and Sony. How is the ESRB able to rate SK (and OLZ) as Mature, if both are apparently non-compliant with Sony’s standards, especially considering a feature like Intimacy Mode? Why even have the ESRB if Sony pulls this crap at the 11th hour like they did with SK and OLZ.

I cancelled my SK preorder for financial reasons only as I spent too much on games lately. Damn you, Play-Asia lol.
The ESRB is not the be-all and end-all authority on what makes a game acceptable. It is, and always have been, an optional guide, run by a third party company--and let's be honest, historically the ESRB has made some pretty questionable judgments, both in heavy-handedness and being overly cavalier. And you'd better believe that any company that wants to have control over what it allows to be licensed for its platform is going to have its own vetting system. And honestly, that's the way it should be in a free market. A company shouldn't have to allow a product they disapprove of to be associated with their own product just because of what someone else thinks it's okay.

I won't say I approve of Sony's policy in this case, but ESRB approval has zero bearing on what a company like Sony allows to be licensed for its consoles.

Mortal Kombat. I've always wanted to get freaky with Mileena.
Careful, I hear she's a (...wait for it...)
MAN-EATER! (cue rimshot)

mk20566.png

I didn't even consider cross save and sold off my PS3 copies. Oh well, I think I'd rather play them again fresh anyway.
Thankfully those are just discs, so you've still got your saves on your console--assuming that's all it takes to work.

That's usually how it works. PS3/PS4 to PS Vita usually requires going into a menu in game and saying "Save to Network". The PS4 copy will just read that same data.

How2CAG:

gamefly.png

Some of these games will be in $19.99 Best Buy Black Friday bargain bins, but that's ok.  I was able to cross several things off the collection wishlist. 

Love Gamefly (sales).  I've had very good luck buying from them in the past.  Their games always come complete in like-new, unblemished cases.  It's just too bad that they (and everyone) charge online tax now.

"Save files from both the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita will work on the PlayStation 4, allowing people to pick up where they left off of start with a completed new game plus file."

huh? So can you pick up and play your Vita saved file on PS4, or not? The wording is very strange.
Yes, you'll be able to play your Vita or PS3 saves on the PS4 version. I do not know whether it will let you take your PS4 saves back to the PS3/Vita version though. I haven't specifically read how it works, but I assume it's the usual deal where you have to launch the game and use the cross-save options inside of the game to upload it, which will allow you to pull it onto your PS4 after the game releases. It really should work with the PS+ online storage feature for those with PS+ subs, but I feel like that won't cross their minds for another five years or until they decide to make another portable.

Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1051930805247889414

It's also a shared trophy list with the Vita/PS3 version.

Anyone getting starlink day 1? Opinions either way?
My copy is coming today. I'm going to be honest though, the only reason I'm getting it is because it has Starfox in it lol (Switch version)

Although I have been reading on Reddit that some people are getting their copies of the deluxe version with the game missing, which is very concerning. Hopefully I'm not affected by the same thing.

It's also a shared trophy list with the Vita/PS3 version.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

(I should have seen this coming with the cross-save announcement, but now I have to decide if $80+tax for two steelbooks for games I already platted is worth it. I already own the full OSTs.)

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

(I should have seen this coming with the cross-save announcement, but now I have to decide if $80+tax for two steelbooks for games I already platted is worth it. I already own the full OSTs.)
Yep

Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1051961014273617920

I'll probably buy it for the fourth (?) time. I have zero intention of ever replaying it on the PS4. I just want to make sure XSeed keeps translating the series. Though if they announce Cold Steel III without a PC version, I may end up importing my PS3 NG+ save and run through it one final time to ensure it's CS3 compatible.

That's usually how it works. PS3/PS4 to PS Vita usually requires going into a menu in game and saying "Save to Network". The PS4 copy will just read that same data.
I guess I'm spoiled from cross buy titles and being able to just copy my save from one system to another.

How2CAG:

gamefly.png

Some of these games will be in $19.99 Best Buy Black Friday bargain bins, but that's ok. I was able to cross several things off the collection wishlist.

Love Gamefly (sales). I've had very good luck buying from them in the past. Their games always come complete in like-new, unblemished cases. It's just too bad that they (and everyone) charge online tax now.
Nice haul! I ended up going nuts on the GF sale too hehe. I ended up grabbing 6 games - AoT 2, Yomawari,The Lost Child, DS Remastered, Kingdom Come, Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle. I was really close to grabbing Dragon Ball FighterZ also, but at last second decided not to since I didn't know anyone with it.

I've been watching for most these games to be sub 20, except for Touhou which was only 10. I have had great luck with buying from GF too, even though the deal thread for each sale is always filled with people complaining about games not working etc.

i picked up dbz fighter, I'm always up to play any fighter with cags.

I've always enjoyed gamefly sales and only ever had one disc not play out of dozens but was easily refunded.

Rather wait and see how the BF Gamefly sale compares
i think the bf gamefly sale last year sucked with games being the same price or slightly higher than normal gf sales.

gf use to sell games at ridiculously low single digit prices at the start. Now while still decent are rarely ever that crazy low.

Honestly not quite sure which thread this question belongs in, but anyone order the NEOGEO mini get theirs yet?  I want to know how it is and if it's worth the price.  I have a little time to cancel my order from AMZ.

Honestly not quite sure which thread this question belongs in, but anyone order the NEOGEO mini get theirs yet? I want to know how it is and if it's worth the price. I have a little time to cancel my order from AMZ.
I actually just got a shipping notice last night from Amazon and its supposed to be delivered Thursday. I would probably just try to watch some review videos to see what initial impressions are from people. The big issue a lot of people seem to have with it is the HDMI hookup to a TV but it honestly doesn't really bother me with what I've seen of it. Plus I will likely use it with its LCD screen most of the time anyway.

I actually just got a shipping notice last night from Amazon and its supposed to be delivered Thursday. I would probably just try to watch some review videos to see what initial impressions are from people. The big issue a lot of people seem to have with it is the HDMI hookup to a TV but it honestly doesn't really bother me with what I've seen of it. Plus I will likely use it with its LCD screen most of the time anyway.
Yeah, I would recommend viewing some review videos as well, as they will for sure paint a full picture for those with interest in this. I had a mild interest early on being a fan, but after using the NES Mini, any of these devices at least need to match that, or make some improvements in some way, which this device clearly does not. Hooking this up to a TV appears to be a huge letdown, as the games show nothing like they could if this was similar to the mini's and how they scale for modern TV's.

First off, I liked the idea of using it as a portable, but there is no place for batteries or internal power, so that was the first strike. The library of games included while good, is far from great, as it's mostly fighters and Metal Slug, strike number two, As this system has tons of great games across many genres, none of which are offered here. Then the last strike for me was the controllers, as they don't have the micro-switches(the click) of old, which was a huge letdown and the final straw for me not getting this.

As a long time fan, I wanted to support a device like this, but this comes off as a huge "cash grab" and not much else.

Damn, what I was talking about regarding Starlink happened to me....

Got my copy yesterday, but the game was completely missing from the box!

Ugh, now I need to go do an exchange  :wall:

I actually played it during release trying to save for this. But blew most of everything when the summer banners hit. Fanservice was hard to resist lol. But started saving again and was able to get 2B. Yay!
I did 3 x 10 pulls and no 2B. rip

I doubt I'll have enough for A2 when they release her

Yeah, I would recommend viewing some review videos as well, as they will for sure paint a full picture for those with interest in this. I had a mild interest early on being a fan, but after using the NES Mini, any of these devices at least need to match that, or make some improvements in some way, which this device clearly does not. Hooking this up to a TV appears to be a huge letdown, as the games show nothing like they could if this was similar to the mini's and how they scale for modern TV's.

First off, I liked the idea of using it as a portable, but there is no place for batteries or internal power, so that was the first strike. The library of games included while good, is far from great, as it's mostly fighters and Metal Slug, strike number two, As this system has tons of great games across many genres, none of which are offered here. Then the last strike for me was the controllers, as they don't have the micro-switches(the click) of old, which was a huge letdown and the final straw for me not getting this.

As a long time fan, I wanted to support a device like this, but this comes off as a huge "cash grab" and not much else.
Thanks for the input. I did watch some videos prior, but wanted some other opinions as well to get a more comprehensive look at things. The need for a mini HDMI and image on not TV not looking too great were my biggest issues with it.

Also certain things like the joystick not "clicking" and button layout were some other complaints, but since I never played any original NEOGEO, it wasn't a big deal for me.

I might cancel and just wait for something better to come along at this point.

I got my last rare blade in XC2 last night, so I can finally finish up my remaining side quests and move on to the Torna DLC. I got lucky and got it down to 3 missing rare blades with no grinding at all. Those last 3 easily took 5-6 hours of grinding, bonding, releasing, etc. I think my patience for gacha mechanics is spent for the rest of the year. So 2Bad for 2B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmRSMXzmcdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eojl19S4gkA

TL/DR: Rorona and Totori are both assaulted while in a bar, complete with the day advancing ahead with them not remembering the previous night.

bread's done
Back