Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
There may be a big difference in required processing power, but it's basically nothing with today's tech. Literally an iMac from 1998 ran PS1 games at full speed (more of a stunt, but made the news "virtual game station" I believe it was called). It's like a billionaire saying he won't buy a $60k Corvette because it cost too much.

Also, Sony kinda failed by not including some of their own high profile first party games (again, only going by memory, Ape Escape, Parappa, Legend of the Dragoon). If saving on licensing was even an issue, you would have seen more first party games.
Ape Escape would be impossible to play with the original controller so that one makes sense.

I complete didn't realize about the need of analog for that game. By the time I got into PS1, dualshock was already standard. It's a shame that they didn't used those instead. I'm sure it was to save a buck, but surely DS form factor are more iconic and widespread than the clunky originals.

I thought it was weird that they included the Director's Cut for RE since I think that was the one that implemented the dualshock support. Same for MGS. 

No fucking way I'm spending money on this, though. Why would I pay for something my PSP does? One thing that will be funny to see is the rude awakening fans of Persona 5 are in for when they play the original. It's the Revelations version, too so it's gonna have that interesting piece of localization

I thought it was weird that they included the Director's Cut for RE since I think that was the one that implemented the dualshock support. Same for MGS.

No fucking way I'm spending money on this, though. Why would I pay for something my PSP does? One thing that will be funny to see is the rude awakening fans of Persona 5 are in for when they play the original. It's the Revelations version, too so it's gonna have that interesting piece of localization
Damn, I had completely forgot the PSP rand PS1 natively, as I never had much use for it at the time. I still have my PSP and use it pretty regularly, but I have a better device to play those games with better control options to boot. But the feature was and and always be a rather cool, epically for those who may have missed a few past titles.

Damn, I had completely forgot the PSP rand PS1 natively, as I never had much use for it at the time. I still have my PSP and use it pretty regularly, but I have a better device to play those games with better control options to boot. But the feature was and and always be a rather cool, epically for those who may have missed a few past titles.
Before my PC was the center for my classic games, I had my PSP Go+charger cradle and component output, so it was like having a tiny box of classic goodies on the TV. You can also connect DS3 controllers to it, so it was even easier to play those classic games.

Seriously, why pay $100 bucks for this, when you can get either a PSP, Vita, PSTV, PS3, PS2, or an actual PS1 for less (Vita is currently more pricy, but now that it's officially dead, that will soon be the case).

Sad thing is, they function better as well. NES and SNES classics at least has some perks not available on the originals (in particular HDMI output).

Buying this product at all, rewards Sony for holding back PS1 classics on PSN. Just saying...

Same.   The only reason I can see picking it up is for any titles that aren't cheap physical or digital.

Localization aside, the random battles. OMG. Can't walk half a block on the map without one.

oh for those interested netflix finally added the rest of the fate extra last encore eps.  about damn time.  I shouldn't be surprised this happened since the same thing happened with apocrypha only uploading half of it originally.  

Castlevania season two and seven deadly sins also had new seasons added.

Castlevania was pretty great.  seven deadly sins felt a little rushed since it was about the same pace as the manga.

The Caligula Effect: Overdose Interview — Director on Psychology, Comparison with Persona, and More

Metal Max XENO Interview — Devs Talk Importance of Turn-Based Gameplay and Bringing Metal Max Back

Root Letter: Last Answer Gets a New Story Trailer Introducing Heroine Aya Fumin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCDMSUAxNqw

Sony is Licensing the PlayStation VR Headset Design to Lenovo

Sony Applies For Patent For New Way Of Sorting Games

Nintendo To Focus On DLC For Big Titles, Online And Offline Events For Fans

Million Arthur: Arcana Blood Gets Trailers For Male & Female Fighters And Opening Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx-Bacv9eKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MGJwMIIZFI

Starwing Paradox Trailer Introduces A Couple Of The Guys With Nagi And Kazuma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4-H64VXY6A

Tokyo Ghoul: re Call to Exist Introduces The Quinx Squad In Its Latest Screenshots

Deracine Pre-order Bonuses Have Been Revealed And Launch Trailer Released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngQjvnqEOyA

World of Final Fantasy Maxima director discusses Switch development, story, and sequel potential

Soi Kano: Gyutto Dakishimete coming to PS4 and PS Vita on February 21, 2019 in Japan

Hana Saki Work Spring! for PS4 will feature the same content as the PS Vita version

Saku Saku: Love Blooms with the Cherry Blossoms for PS4 launches February 28, 2019 in Japan

Karigurashi Renai for PS4 and PS Vita launches February 21, 2019 in Japan

NES Classic And SNEs Classic Edition Surpass 10 Million In Worldwide Sales

Catherine: Full Body Reveals Final “Ideal Voice” DLC by Nana Mizuki

Mercenaries Wings: The False Phoenix for Switch launches November 8 in the west

Resident Evil 2 - Classic Costumes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30BQjlXXamY

BTW just giving an opinion but been playing The Ditzy Demons are In Love With Me and Sabbat of the Witch. There is no question hands down that Sabbat is the better game. I've gone through 2 routes there, and one was relatively weak, but the other was nice. Sometimes things can make you smack your head against a wall, but otherwise it's solid and a good length.

Ditzy Demons is full of the comedy. I do like it somewhat overall, but there is just not that much to it. I think there is one main choice with a few random other choices. It is a nukige, so there are many eroge scenes. It's not terrible or anything, but just kind of average overall. The art is pretty nice though. The 2 routes along with all the side routes were all overall average. Nothing bad, but nothing memorable either.

I will hope to give full reviews on both someday. I know i'm pretty backed up on giving reviews of stuff. I think Hapymaher is next for that.

It makes me wonder if Intimacy mode is the only thing patched in Senran Kagura Burst Renewal. The artwork at the end of character story missions are usually more racy than those Yuuna and the Haunted Springs images.

Though I'm assuming there will be character story missions.

Saw someone on Twitter claim that Sony forced the makers of Mary Skelter 2 to put out a patch to censor the purification minigame (haven't played either game so I don't know what this entails exactly).  And this is a game that was already released.

If this is true then Sony may start forcing out patches to retroactively censor other games on their platform.

Saw someone on Twitter claim that Sony forced the makers of Mary Skelter 2 to put out a patch to censor the purification minigame (haven't played either game so I don't know what this entails exactly). And this is a game that was already released.

If this is true then Sony may start forcing out patches to retroactively censor other games on their platform.
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/11/sony-has-mary-skelter-2s-purification-system-censored-in-chinese-version-causing-major-bugs/71362/

This is not okay. I really like Mary Skelter on my vita. I thought I was with Sony on this generation but Nintendo's laissez faire attitude for 3rd party makes it very convincing. Hell I just bought Diablo again for the 4th time.

Saw someone on Twitter claim that Sony forced the makers of Mary Skelter 2 to put out a patch to censor the purification minigame (haven't played either game so I don't know what this entails exactly). And this is a game that was already released.

Another touch thing.

I'm not too worried about a retroactive patch for games already released. The game was released after the policy was put in place and the touch mechanic probably slipped through too late to recall the game disks so it got patched out. This was a very sudden change and we'll see several instances of this until the localization companies are through the Japanese games that would be in violation of the new policy. The Japanese companies on the other hand now have a way to upsell their limited editions by including an art book with uncensored CG images.

Another touch thing.

I'm not too worried about a retroactive patch for games already released. The game was released after the policy was put in place and the touch mechanic probably slipped through too late to recall the game disks so it got patched out. This was a very sudden change and we'll see several instances of this until the localization companies are through the Japanese games that would be in violation of the new policy. The Japanese companies on the other hand now have a way to upsell their limited editions by including an art book with uncensored CG images.
the problem is this policy put up earlier this year should only be effecting games afterward and not before and its supposed to be hitting released games well before the policy in jp too so ur argument is right, i wouldnt have a problem if they publicly announced their new policy with details to consumers when the enacted it but knowing it would effect sales and still not coming out with it because its a bad decision doesnt sit well, still sucks they were making xseed redo the local for ps4 because of this policy when the game was released years ago nothing changed except english language

I haven't put my update but Sol Press licensed a bunch of VNs. NSFW for sure as they are all eroges I'm sure. Be ready for the VN update Sunday. Going to be busy this weekend away from the computer.

December's Humble Monthly Bundle ($12) [PC] will contain Metal Gear Solid V (Ground Zero + Phantom Pain) as an early unlock. It comes with Cities Skylines (+ After Dark Expansion) as another early unlock, which is a city builder. Plus there are more games that will unlock in a month.

Amazon Primes monthly PC games aren't really anything thread related this month and I realized I forgot to post last months, which included a very solid remaster of an excellent 90s RPG. Though if you have Amazon Prime still and tend to enjoy Visual Novels, you should check out The Pillars of the Earth that's included this month. It's a point-and-click adventure game based off of a fantasy book and uses a solid western comic visual style. It's kinda the western equivalent of a Visual Novel, but contains more gameplay elements. Early ones from the 90s contain a ton of puzzles, many of which are nonsensical at times, so there isn't a huge audience and it's a rather niche genre. I thought I'd mention it anyways.

Overwatch players rejoice a new waifu is joining the game.

Introducing Ashe Ketchum a semi-automatic lever rifle gunner who plays a lot of RDR2 (I read that as R2D2 *sad beeps*) and her favorite anime girl is Kurumi from Date A Live. She'll be coming soon to your PC / PS4 / XB1 / Hentai SFM

Ashe Hero Detail Overview

ashe-screenshot-003.jpg

Ashe Gameplay Introduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8LbOecWGug

McCree x Ashe is my OTP Animated Short "Reunion"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKYVvPNhRR0

For a quick tidbit of Overwatch news, another new character has been announced named Ashe. She's a rifle wielding damage dealer that's modeled in a western fasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8LbOecWGug

Nintendo has never intervened on third party content since the ESRB.
They did censor their own published games though as recently as in the Wii U era. I remember Fire Emblem Fates had a touching mini game removed from it for Western release just like Senran Kagura did, Fire Emblem Awakening had that infamous Tharja shower scene censored, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions had some in-game posters that were changed from girls in bikinis to girls in regular clothes.

Everyone is guilty of this censorship crap at some point in time, Sony is just the latest. It’s important that we as consumers let them know that it isn’t acceptable, and as long as we do, I expect them to dial it back eventually like Steam and even Nintendo did.

They did censor their own published games though as recently as in the Wii U era. I remember Fire Emblem Fates had a touching mini game removed from it for Western release just like Senran Kagura did, Fire Emblem Awakening had that infamous Tharja shower scene censored, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions had some in-game posters that were changed from girls in bikinis to girls in regular clothes.

Everyone is guilty of this censorship crap at some point in time, Sony is just the latest. It’s important that we as consumers let them know that it isn’t acceptable, and as long as we do, I expect them to dial it back eventually like Steam and even Nintendo did.
The issue is how to send that message. It's not like the niche community is large enough to leave/boycott in numbers large enough for Sony to care. We aren't fortnite...

The issue is how to send that message. It's not like the niche community is large enough to leave/boycott in numbers large enough for Sony to care. We aren't fortnite...
Yeah I don’t know what’s exactly the best way to send that message, but I don’t think anyone boycotted Steam or Nintendo to get them to dial back that censorship. But people were vocal about their displeasure with those companies, and I think we need to be with Sony as well.

Yeah I don’t know what’s exactly the best way to send that message, but I don’t think anyone boycotted Steam or Nintendo to get them to dial back that censorship. But people were vocal about their displeasure with those companies, and I think we need to be with Sony as well.
The thing with steam is Valve couldn't prevent custom patches being made to remove censorship, so all they did was restrict devs from posting methods of removing the censorship on the store page or community pages (mostly the forum). Valve never had much control to begin with. For PS4 it's different since Sony controls what patches are allowed or not.

Kingdom Hearts III Lucca 2018 ‘Tangled’ trailer

English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EunHzNTCpx8

Japanese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_tujAtjGE

You missed one they put up later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvT9wKCrEyo
Thanks, I wasn't sure if you were busy to do it since I didn't see it on your recent post. I'm pretty hyped for her since I'm a sucker for old western lever rifles.

For anyone interested here's some gameplay footage of Ashe at Blizzcon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m1lGpx3hWU

I'll be honest, I haven't kept up with Disney movies for years.  I probably wont even have seen most of the movies the worlds in Kingdom Hearts 3 will be based on.  I'm only interested in the Kingdom Hearts part of Kingdom Hearts 3, because I've been following this plot (barely) since I was in highschool and want to know how it ends.

bread's done
Back