Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
To even try to unpack this for a minute.

You think Gamestop is good and should stick around, so therefore you shop at Amazon when they price match GS, meanwhile Gamestop is suffering and you don't want them to close. Are you serious right now? It never ceases to amaze me how people don't understand the Amazon problem. You are supporting exactly the thing you are arguing against. You are killing the competition for which you advocate, by not purchasing the sale items at GS.
Umm...no. I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not advocating that Gamestop is good. I'm saying having them around is a good thing. That's different than me supporting them and wanting to give them my business. I'm neutral on that stance. I'll give them business like everyone else here pointed out. When deals are good, nice preorder items, finding niche games, needing to trade in my games and not have to deal with ebay, etc. And won't when their prices are high.

So you or whoever that is wishing they go under won't make things better, nor will more competition all of a sudden just pop up and thrive. I personally don't care either way about GS as a company. I won't go out of my way to support them so they survive, but I'm not going to avoid them just because I have some religious hate for them. But I know you're known to argue for argument's sake because you always want to be right, so we'll just stop it here.

The liberals, America haters & non US citizens are showing their colors.
f43b349c7dca2ffe1c959a8c80c66171b23cd6c76f08dacbebcac610c3c9082c.jpg

Damn, this thread is normally pretty mellow, but today has been insane! LOL

Well, lets try to end the day on a good note, and I think I might just have the answer to bring a smile to everyone's face.........America,  fuck Yeah Ultimate Edition for your viewing pleasures. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aOt9x8WMrM

Umm...no. I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not advocating that Gamestop is good. I'm saying having them around is a good thing. That's different than me supporting them and wanting to give them my business. I'm neutral on that stance. I'll give them business like everyone else here pointed out. When deals are good, nice preorder items, finding niche games, needing to trade in my games and not have to deal with ebay, etc. And won't when their prices are high.

So you or whoever that is wishing they go under won't make things better, nor will more competition all of a sudden just pop up and thrive. I personally don't care either way about GS as a company. I won't go out of my way to support them so they survive, but I'm not going to avoid them just because I have some religious hate for them. But I know you're known to argue for argument's sake because you always want to be right, so we'll just stop it here.
You aren't saying a damned thing. You buy stuff wherever it's cheapest, have no principles in the matter, and don't really care at all. You don't stand for anything except the lowest possible prices and best deals. WOW MAN WOW THAT'S SO DEEP HOW DO I GRASP THAT CONCEPT?

And yes, Gamestop going under would absolutely make the market a better place for many of us. Not immediately, not that year, but it would. I am sorry that you can't see the forest for the trees.

The state of this thread...

tlopm5g.gif

This is what happens when Draekon leaves for a month... Hope he gets well soon and takes care of himself.

The Arland Trilogy showed up at about $80 for me on Steam. Cheaper than the after tax price on Switch or PSN

Man look at all the lurkers complaining.  I guess this is what happens during a slow news and deals week/s.  The psn thread was far worse last week though.  Got so bad they nuked three pages.

I would love to play Metroid Prime with no waggle motion controls.  

They are some of the best games Nintendo has ever produced.  Unlike many other games, they have also aged very well. 

Switch is a port machine and I like that! Course I skipped over WiiU so....there's that. I'm hoping for Super Mario 3D World somewhere down the line and some Zelda ports.

I never played Prime 3. Instead of dealing with the motion controls--I know people largely liked them there, but I just don't like the tech--I'd love to just play it on Switch. Bring that shit on!!

Switch is a port machine and I like that! Course I skipped over WiiU so....there's that. I'm hoping for Super Mario 3D World somewhere down the line and some Zelda ports.
I eagerly await when the Switch has Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD, and SM 3D World (HD? Deluxe?) ports, thus rendering the Wii U totally obsolete.

...A Pikmin HD Trilogy and Wonderful 101 HD wouldn't be bad ideas, either.

Another port for the Switch...why am i not surprised. Can't believe I bought this thing for original content.

Another port for the Switch...why am i not surprised. Can't believe I bought this thing for original content.
This is a joke post, right? It's not even been out two years. Even ignoring the ports, it's had an awful lot of support with brand new games (that maybe also release on PS4, but now you have a different option for playing them, as you have to play multi-plats somewhere) and many exclusive games all of its own, too.

Yeah, it's had a fair amount of Wii U ports. But there can be a lot of value in those. I don't know about you, but I didn't play every Wii U game that I wanted to, not to mention having a superior option for a future replay. I'd get bitching if we weren't sitting on a really respectable amount of new content, but that hypothetical isn't the world line that we're currently on.

This is a joke post, right? It's not even been out two years. Even ignoring the ports, it's had an awful lot of support with brand new games (that maybe also release on PS4, but now you have a different option for playing them, as you have to play multi-plats somewhere) and many exclusive games all of its own, too.

Yeah, it's had a fair amount of Wii U ports. But there can be a lot of value in those. I don't know about you, but I didn't play every Wii U game that I wanted to, not to mention having a superior option for a future replay. I'd get bitching if we weren't sitting on a really respectable amount of new content, but that hypothetical isn't the world line that we're currently on.
yeah I don't count multiplats, ports or remakes as original content. Exclusive NEW content for the switch, especially by nintendo, is barebones. Compare Nintendo's output for the switch this year compared to Sony's for the ps4 this year. Nintendo doesn't even try.

I never played Prime 3. Instead of dealing with the motion controls--I know people largely liked them there, but I just don't like the tech--I'd love to just play it on Switch. Bring that shit on!!
I've played it a few times off and on over the years, and while I'm no fan of motion controls, I managed(still probably the reason I stopped each time). Having a no motion control option with some spruced up graphics, I'm pretty sure I would finally finish it, so this would for sure be a welcome product to have.

yeah I don't count multiplats, ports or remakes as original content. Exclusive NEW content for the switch, especially by nintendo, is barebones. Compare Nintendo's output for the switch this year compared to Sony's for the ps4 this year. Nintendo doesn't even try.
You have to play multi-plats somewhere. If you don't count those for any platform, then each platform's library would be shockingly tiny. That's a very odd viewpoint. It harkens back to the "Nintendo doesn't get the new games their competitors get!" just now modified to "But I'm not counting all of these, so pretend they don't exist!" The Switch can also serve as a great in between to eliminate the "Vita or PS4" question that so many of us have to consider for many Jap and indie games, as it's basically both in many cases. Those don't count, though, my bad. But I digress.

It's also a completely false equivalence to compare the fist 2 years of a console to 2 of the twilight years of another. For exclusives only, the Switch has actually had an incredibly impressive first 2 years. Hell, to get BotW (simultaneous release that is objectively better on Switch; we're counting it), Mario Odyssey, and XC2 all within the first year is honestly insane--I'm just picking those three out, but we know there are more than those. My PS4 collected dust for ages after I got it. I play multi-plats on PC and there was very little in the way of exclusives for quite some time.

There are very compelling points to be made in favor of enhanced and objectively better ports being thrown into the mix to supplement new exclusives and new third party content, but we can sideline that, as neither of us want this to be a page long diatribe lol.

By all means, be as disappointed as you want to be; I just find your reasoning a bit flawed. I hope that games that fit your criteria of what counts as a Switch game start coming down the pipeline soon, as I know that many great ones are announced. If not, Switches go for great money on Facebook marketplace. Maybe you can get out of this barren wasteland of hundreds of games while the getting is good.

Persona Endless Night Collection is a little bit disappointed, artbook is only a few pages, and all the discs stacking on a single spindle

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

You have to play multi-plats somewhere. If you don't count those for any platform, then each platform's library would be shockingly tiny. That's a very odd viewpoint. It harkens back to the "Nintendo doesn't get the new games their competitors get!" just now modified to "But I'm not counting all of these, so pretend they don't exist!" The Switch can also serve as a great in between to eliminate the "Vita or PS4" question that so many of us have to consider for many Jap and indie games, as it's basically both in many cases. Those don't count, though, my bad. But I digress.

It's also a completely false equivalence to compare the fist 2 years of a console to 2 of the twilight years of another. For exclusives only, the Switch has actually had an incredibly impressive first 2 years. Hell, to get BotW (simultaneous release that is objectively better on Switch; we're counting it), Mario Odyssey, and XC2 all within the first year is honestly insane--I'm just picking those three out, but we know there are more than those. My PS4 collected dust for ages after I got it. I play multi-plats on PC and there was very little in the way of exclusives for quite some time.

There are very compelling points to be made in favor of enhanced and objectively better ports being thrown into the mix to supplement new exclusives and new third party content, but we can sideline that, as neither of us want this to be a page long diatribe lol.

By all means, be as disappointed as you want to be; I just find your reasoning a bit flawed. I hope that games that fit your criteria of what counts as a Switch game start coming down the pipeline soon, as I know that many great ones are announced. If not, Switches go for great money on Facebook marketplace. Maybe you can get out of this barren wasteland of hundreds of games while the getting is good.
So when I define the variables of my argument as Exclusive new content by nintendo you completely ignore it and broaden the debate to your terms, your definition. Nice job but you fail to actually counter my point on my terms. Because you can't.

So when I define the variables of my argument as Exclusive new content by nintendo you completely ignore it and broaden the debate to your terms, your definition. Nice job but you fail to actually counter my point on my terms. Because you can't.
"It's also a completely false equivalence to compare the fist 2 years of a console to 2 of the twilight years of another. For exclusives only, the Switch has actually had an incredibly impressive first 2 years. Hell, to get BotW (simultaneous release that is objectively better on Switch; we're counting it), Mario Odyssey, and XC2 all within the first year is honestly insane--I'm just picking those three out, but we know there are more than those. My PS4 collected dust for ages after I got it. I play multi-plats on PC and there was very little in the way of exclusives for quite some time. "

Wanted to make it easier for you because you clearly missed that little part. ^_^

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Nice job but you fail to actually counter my point on my terms. Because you can't.
Okay, I'll give this a shot.

Within it's first two years on the market, the more prominent titles released for the PS4 by Sony Interactive Entertainment were...

Killzone: Shadow Fall

Knack

Resogun

Infamous: Second Son

Little Big Planet 3

Bloodbourne

The Order: 1886

Until Dawn

Now, for the list from Nintendo, in the first two years of the Switch...

1-2-Switch

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (concurrent launch on Nintendo-exclusive platforms, so it counts)

Snipperclips

Arms

Splatoon 2

Fire Emblem Warriors

Super Mario Odyssey

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Kirby Star Allies,

Sushi Striker

Mario Tennis Aces

Super Mario Party

Nintendo Labo

I'd say the Switch's selection stacks up pretty well against Sony's first-party offerings in their first two years. It's easy to hand-wave this sort of thing when the PS4 launched in late 2013 and the Switch came out in early 2017. All systems need some time to ramp up their development and publishing. A lot of people crow about how great the PS2's lineup was, conveniently forgetting that for it's entire first year the games on it were garbage. I'd say that Nintendo has actually been rather aggressive in their first-party publishing for the Switch.

Within it's first two years on the market, the more prominent titles released for the PS4 by Sony Interactive Entertainment were...

Knack

Resogun

Little Big Planet 3

Bloodbourne

Until Dawn

1-2-Switch

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (concurrent launch on Nintendo-exclusive platforms, so it counts)

Snipperclips

Arms

Splatoon 2

Fire Emblem Warriors

Super Mario Odyssey

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Kirby Star Allies,

Sushi Striker

Mario Tennis Aces

Super Mario Party

Nintendo Labo

I'd say the Switch's selection stacks up pretty well against Sony's first-party offerings in their first two years. It's easy to hand-wave this sort of thing when the PS4 launched in late 2013 and the Switch came out in early 2017. All systems need some time to ramp up their development and publishing. A lot of people crow about how great the PS2's lineup was, conveniently forgetting that for it's entire first year the games on it were garbage. I'd say that Nintendo has actually been rather aggressive in their first-party publishing for the Switch.
well ps2's lineup was entirely hot garbage for its life span has 70% of their games were rehashes/remodels of the same games just different characters as it was more important to put out the same trash in mass numbers than originals/different to compete since sony fanboys arent as intelligent and just point to the numbers not quality or originality as why its the best, massed produced trash seems to be better than quality

Plus:

MLB: The Show 15 (if you want to count Zelda)

Hohokum

Infamous: First Light

Drive Club

Playroom

Singstar: Ultimate Party

Plus, everyone knows Knack counts as 15 games by itself.

Knack

Resogun

Little Big Planet 3

Bloodbourne

Until Dawn

1-2-Switch

Snipperclips

Arms

Splatoon 2

Fire Emblem Warriors

Super Mario Odyssey

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Kirby Star Allies,

Sushi Striker

Mario Tennis Aces

Super Mario Party

Nintendo Labo

Zelda doesn't count. It's not an exclusive switch title. And the only other games on your list that are any good are mario, xenoblade (which a lot of people hate) and splatoon 2 which isn't much different from the first game. And you really hurt your argument when you name Labo of all things. Ninendo's latest big failure. And I'll be fair, resogun and LB3 aren't exclusive to ps4 either. Even still the ps4 line-up was better

Regardless, my opinion is that the switch is not getting enough new exclusive and new content. They are supplementing original content with ports of games that came out years ago. Games I've already played because I actually bought a Wii u - a console which they also failed on delivering; which was why it was so short lived. Now people say "Well I didn't have a Wii U so the ports are okay", well for those of us that were foolish enough to buy and continue to buy nintendo systems, this argument doesn't work. We bought this new system for new games. I hate this trend of putting out ports to satisfy the need of new content on sony as well, but it's especially notable on nintendo systems because they have always had droughts on their system ever since the n64 days.

The problem exists without Sony, so comparing the first two years doesn't really matter anyways.

Persona Endless Night Collection is a little bit disappointed, artbook is only a few pages, and all the discs stacking on a single spindle

I've been debating on picking up my copy from Best Buy. By the time I get around to playing it the digital version will likely be 50% off or more. Hearing the art book is fairly chump makes it a little easier to cancel.

If you don't mind sharing, what are your thoughts on the game(s) thus far?

I've been debating on picking up my copy from Best Buy. By the time I get around to playing it the digital version will likely be 50% off or more. Hearing the art book is fairly chump makes it a little easier to cancel.

If you don't mind sharing, what are your thoughts on the game(s) thus far?
This going to the backlog lol, only got it because of Amazon price mistake (half off I think)

it's especially notable on nintendo systems because they have always had droughts on their system ever since the n64 days.
If you knew that Nintendo have been spacing out their big releases since the late 90s how the hell is any of this new to you? Why are you willingly buying into Nintendo's ecosystem despite hating it for so long? Did you really think they'd turn it around? The Switch was made for a big mainstream splash. It's essentially the Wii all over again since so many sold right out the gate. I think they're doing a pretty good job of keeping interesting games on it despite them focusing so heavily on the young/casual market.

TL;DR

Put a quarter in your ass, because you played yourself.

If you knew that Nintendo have been spacing out their big releases since the late 90s how the hell is any of this new to you? Why are you willingly buying into Nintendo's ecosystem despite hating it for so long? Did you really think they'd turn it around? The Switch was made for a big mainstream splash. It's essentially the Wii all over again since so many sold right out the gate. I think they're doing a pretty good job of keeping interesting games on it despite them focusing so heavily on the young/casual market.

TL;DR

Put a quarter in your ass, because you played yourself.
Why can't I buy a system and hope the company corrects their practices? Yeah, I knew how it probably would've all gone down before I bought the system. I don't see how that invalidates any criticism. Nintendo is not infallible. They won't ever change their ways if nobody calls them out. I remember seeing Geoff Keely calling out Reggie on live tv one year on some awards show. It was great. If anything, my criticisms hold more water because I actually own the system. I have a horse in the race, so to say. I put money into this and I'm dissatisfied. Kirby was only a few hours long. No more heroes looks like garbage - it's not a real No more heroes 3 that I wanted.

bread's done
Back