Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why can't I buy a system and hope the company corrects their practices? Yeah, I knew how it probably would've all gone down before I bought the system. I don't see how that invalidates any criticism. Nintendo is not infallible. They won't ever change their ways if nobody calls them out. I remember seeing Geoff Keely calling out Reggie on live tv one year on some awards show. It was great. If anything, my criticisms hold more water because I actually own the system. I have a horse in the race, so to say. I put money into this and I'm dissatisfied. Kirby was only a few hours long. No more heroes looks like garbage - it's not a real No more heroes 3 that I wanted.
This might sound crazy to you, but the Switch IS Nintendo changing their ways. They coasted off the popularity of the Wii and thought everyone would flock to the WiiU and absolutely no one cared. The mainstream audience didn't know it was a separate console, the advertising made it sound like an add-on and confused people even further. They started from scratch and built a truly portable device for today's mostly mobile audience. Their game cycle is the same, because it's been this way since the N64. Except now they have a huge install base so they're getting a more rounded selection of third party titles for people who don't just play Mario and Zelda. It's not comparable to the PS4 or Xbox, but they actually exist now, instead of companies just bypassing them like they did on the WiiU. Their censorship and region locking policies are all but gone at this point, too.

It's nice that you had hopes for them to be a completely different company that they've been for well over 20 years, but it's really completely on you at this point. The Switch Direct they had a couple of months before the console came out was a pretty great preview of what the early life of the Switch was going to be. I didn't even buy one until Mario and Xeno had come out. Early adopting does absolutely nothing for you. You should've waited to see what their lineup was going to be instead of buying into a non-existent narrative you thought was coming.

For exclusives only, the Switch has actually had an incredibly impressive first 2 years. Hell, to get BotW (simultaneous release that is objectively better on Switch; we're counting it), Mario Odyssey, and XC2 all within the first year is honestly insane
Hell yeah man. XC2, Zelda BOTW, Octopath Traveler, Super Mario Odyssey, and now Super Smash Bros is everything a guy could ask for, all in less than two years.

That's before even addressing all the neat ports and in-demand indies.

This might sound crazy to you, but the Switch IS Nintendo changing their ways. They coasted off the popularity of the Wii and thought everyone would flock to the WiiU and absolutely no one cared. The mainstream audience didn't know it was a separate console, the advertising made it sound like an add-on and confused people even further. They started from scratch and built a truly portable device for today's mostly mobile audience. Their game cycle is the same, because it's been this way since the N64. Except now they have a huge install base so they're getting a more rounded selection of third party titles for people who don't just play Mario and Zelda. It's not comparable to the PS4 or Xbox, but they actually exist now, instead of companies just bypassing them like they did on the WiiU. Their censorship and region locking policies are all but gone at this point, too.

It's nice that you had hopes for them to be a completely different company that they've been for well over 20 years, but it's really completely on you at this point. The Switch Direct they had a couple of months before the console came out was a pretty great preview of what the early life of the Switch was going to be. I didn't even buy one until Mario and Xeno had come out. Early adopting does absolutely nothing for you. You should've waited to see what their lineup was going to be instead of buying into a non-existent narrative you thought was coming.
Yeah you're mostly right, but the biggest problem with their systems, the droughts, is the one thing they have yet to address. And it's the most important. If the Wii U games were better and more frequent, The wii U probably would've sold better despite its poor marketing and design flaws. I firmly believe that a company that makes the system should be able to make enough games for the system, to keep it alive, even if all other devs drop it. Microsoft is guilty of this perhaps worse than nintendo... And Sony dropped the ball hard on the Vita. I think nintendo has just been doing it longer.

I can't figure out why they continue to support the 3ds either. All resources should be focusing on the switch. Not some outdated handheld.

Nothing371 seems to just want to argue, even having to go back to quote me twice.  So, sorry for that.  Should have known to respond to him the first time since I've only agreed with his opinions 2-3 times ever.  Everything goes over his head as usual.  So nothing new.  His name checks out.

Back on topic, if anyone cares for a physical copy of Voez, I noticed it has been dropping and I believe the lowest price it has been. 

https://www.amazon.com/VOEZ-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07B45WF41

Sadly, pulled the trigger too early.

Glad to see we have the Gamestop and political arguing over with

Now showing:

qGFJFWy.jpg

The fun thing about arguments is when the two sides have presented enough evidence and points that one can be seen as 'more' objectively reasonable and correct than the other. I'm glad that ended up happening here. You know who you are, sorry other guy(s). Also, calling people out by name and then spewing vitriol at them--not about their opinion on topic 'x' but just at them in general--is really immature. There are people on here that I cannot stand--largely other topics, not this one--but I don't do that. Either I'm actually a saint with infinite patience for BS and stupidity, or you can all do that, too--your choice.

The fun thing about arguments is when the two sides have presented enough evidence and points that one can be seen as 'more' objectively reasonable and correct than the other. I'm glad that ended up happening here. You know who you are, sorry other guy(s). Also, calling people out by name and then spewing vitriol at them--not about their opinion on topic 'x' but just at them in general--is really immature. There are people on here that I cannot stand--largely other topics, not this one--but I don't do that. Either I'm actually a saint with infinite patience for BS and stupidity, or you can all do that, too--your choice.
I don't really have a problem with anybody here... I enjoy debate, argument, discussion.

nagpo said:
Even still the ps4 line-up was better
Before I say what I’m about to say, a couple personal points might be useful for reference, I was a Sega guy first and a Sony guy second. When I was growing up, Nintendo was the enemy, and I only stopped thinking of them that way around the 7th generation.

On the Sony side, I own an original PS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, and Vita TV. On the Nintendo side, I own a GBO, GBC, DS, 3DS, and Wii.

I absolutely, 100% disagree with your statement. I would say the Switch’s library in its first two years are so much better than the PS4’s (in its first two) that the comparison is in fact outright laughable.

That’s all I have to say in this conversation.

https://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/arlanddx/
If you want an uncensored Atelier Arland on Steam, you might want to buy the glitched 3-pack and backup the files before they fix it.
Good catch. Why would they even need to alter it? Steam doesn't even require rating boards to rate their games.

So far what I've noticed are the assets seem to be upscales from the vita games.

Meruru has 2 additional events that cover the additional year in Rorona Plus. It's in the extra menu from the start.

Some people are messing around with the hex edit to force higher resolutions. I hope there will be a working mod soon.

Good catch. Why would they even need to alter it? Steam doesn't even require rating boards to rate their games.

So far what I've noticed are the assets seem to be upscales from the vita games.

Meruru has 2 additional events that cover the additional year in Rorona Plus. It's in the extra menu from the start.

Some people are messing around with the hex edit to force higher resolutions. I hope there will be a working mod soon.
I've spent way too long this evening poking around the files to try and extract images but it appears the event stills are still 720p.

Senran Kagura Pinball for Switch is out next week. There's some kind of preorder discount for the eShop if you're not importing.

Well, attempting to narrow your criteria so much for a console's first two years is ridiculous. And the whole point of truncating the list as specified was to attempt to deny the Switch some of its more prominent and popular games. (again, ridiculous) But even after narrowing things down like that, you still have a line-up that stacks up favorably to Sony's first-party output of the same period. It demonstrates that Nintendo has been pushing to be more competitive with their latest console, and have enjoyed a reasonable amount of success with this approach.

What's really funny is that these insane, specific rules actually hurts the PS4's position more than the Switch's. As anyone can tell you, a console does not live on exclusives alone. They are a nice selling point, no doubt. But some of the largest and most popular games come to multiple platforms. If you drop the silly criteria and allow the two platforms to stand on ALL of their releases, the PS4 starts to hold up far more favorably in its first two years. Thanks to smart decisions on Sony's part, the PS4 has always been very friendly to third-party developers, and those developers have supported the PS4 handsomely, right out of the gate. And many of the re-makes and re-masters that have been released for the PS4 have been excellent, well worth the time to collectors. And the multi-platform releases have consistently performed better on the PS4, making it the go-to platform for multi-platform titles for many gamers. Goodness knows I usually land on the PS4 for most of my multi-platform purchases.

If you drop the ludicrous criteria, I would happily agree that the PS4 holds up better in its first two years compared to the Switch. As excellent as Nintendo's output has been on the Switch, they can't hold up to the sheer volume of quality content that came to the PS4, thanks to Sony's superior 3rd party support paired with an improved stable of first-party development studios. Titles like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are huge achievements, but they can't quite overcome the flood of titles that the PS4 can boast, even in its infancy.

Interesting points. I agree with you on a lot. But I believe a console does thrive on exclusives alone - mostly. If a game is out on ps4, one, and pc, I think most people are going to buy it on pc. PC is superior in most areas. What makes consoles viable, marketable and have identity are things like prolific exclusive franchises. Now for example, multiplat games on ps3 and 360 played better on 360 most of the time, so even though they weren't exclusive there was enough quality difference between the two to justify buying the 360 over the ps3 for multiplats. But even in the end I think the ps3 sold more, however. I think exclusive content wins in the end overall.

Anyways, I'm pretty hyped to see what japanese games are announced tomorrow at the game awards. Hopefully we get dates and trailers for Metroid Prime 4 and Bayo 3. Hopefully Bayo 3 is a real evolution for the series so it can rival DMC5. I really hope those games come out next year. Maybe we get to see Animal Crossing too. Can't say I care about Yoshi, personally. Only Yoshi game I've liked was 64.

PC is superior in most areas. What makes consoles viable, marketable and have identity are things like prolific exclusive franchises.
Wrong. When you have a $1000+ gaming rig with plenty of RAM, and a solid dedicated GPU, PC gaming CAN be superior. When all you have for your home computing is a minimal laptop, a pre-built rig that you got for less than $1000, or a tablet, you aren't going to be getting a superior experience at all. And the scenarios I just described are becoming increasingly common. Crazy hobbyists like myself have fat rigs. The average consumer does not.

What makes consoles viable is low cost, convenience, and simplicity. They provide reasonably high quality gaming experiences for less money, and less trouble. They are gaming for the every-man. PC is only superior on a technical level, but is a horrible proposition for value. You have to PAY, in money, time, and expertise, in order to game on a PC. You can drop $400 for a PS4 Pro, or $300 for a Switch, or $200 for a PS4 regular, and be off to the races immediately. Comparable performance on a PC will cost you $1000, and require considerable tweaking and software installation.

Exclusives are well and good. First party development exists for a reason. But it long since stopped being the driving force in the industry. The Wii U had tons of great, exclusive first-party development. And yet it tanked in the market. Exclusive software is not enough.

So... ignoring the recent content of this thread (yikes)..  I have a small request/suggestion.

If anyone else really enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles 4 like I did, could you please fill out the feedback survey sega has for players?  I found mine under the drop-down menu that appears below the game's launch icon on the PS4 menu.  I'm not sure if or where this appears on other consoles but I'll bet there's a way to do it through any browser since it just uses google docs.

Anyway, it's a great way to tell SEGA directly what you liked / didn't like about the game - both the physical release and the content of the game.  I'd also suggest asking them nicely to localize VC3 for us.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I actually think a VC2+VC3 remaster digital release on switch would sell.  I'd just really like to play the game without having to "download" it.

So... ignoring the recent content of this thread (yikes).. I have a small request/suggestion.

If anyone else really enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles 4 like I did, could you please fill out the feedback survey sega has for players? I found mine under the drop-down menu that appears below the game's launch icon on the PS4 menu. I'm not sure if or where this appears on other consoles but I'll bet there's a way to do it through any browser since it just uses google docs.

Anyway, it's a great way to tell SEGA directly what you liked / didn't like about the game - both the physical release and the content of the game. I'd also suggest asking them nicely to localize VC3 for us.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I actually think a VC2+VC3 remaster digital release on switch would sell. I'd just really like to play the game without having to "download" it.
I would be so down for a VC2/VC3 Switch remaster.

What makes consoles viable is low cost, convenience, and simplicity. They provide reasonably high quality gaming experiences for less money, and less trouble. They are gaming for the every-man. PC is only superior on a technical level, but is a horrible proposition for value. You have to PAY, in money, time, and expertise, in order to game on a PC. You can drop $400 for a PS4 Pro, or $300 for a Switch, or $200 for a PS4 regular, and be off to the races immediately. Comparable performance on a PC will cost you $1000, and require considerable tweaking and software installation.
Ain't that the truth. I have been a PC guy for the last 20 years and that's always been my first choice. You can't beat kb&m controls for many games, and specifically mmorpgs. But I still keep going back to consoles for simplicity's sake. They do a lot of things really well. Like Apple products, they just work. Consoles are plug n play. They play the newest and the greatest games for only $300-400 and you really can't beat that for a minimal investment. Not to mention all the exclusives that get me to eventually buy each individual console.

Persona Endless Night Collection is underwhelming, and I would wager that Atlus is cashing in on our love for Persona games.

Compared to P4D, it is like a diet version of it. I have only played P3D so far, so I cannot speak to the quality of P5D, but P3D lacks a lot of charm and incentive to actually play compared to P4D.

I was lucky enough to get the collection for $60 due to Amazon's pricing mistake, that's the only reason I don't have as big of a gripe with it as most others might have.

Atelier Rorona DX has been removed from the US and Canada Atelier Arland bundle that was accidentally put up on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/9121/Atelier_Arland_series_Deluxe_Pack____DX/
Wtf. Everything about this release has just seemed quite odd. I haven't done any research yet, but I can only imagine that the PC versions have 30 fps caps and probably some BS resolution cap (even though people like Durante have shown how arbitrary resolutions are not only easy, but base level expectations for PC ports). Oh well, maybe I'm wrong. Lol

Consoles wise I agree that there are very few exclusives anymore compared to the ps2 gamecube days.  So it's not as much a selling point outside nintendo ips since you cannot get their first and 2nd party stuff on non nintendo systems at least.  But yeah The switch is a huge port machine.  Which isn't a huge negative on its own but if you already have all these ported games then there's less of a reason for buying one.  And then it boils down to multiplat new releases which used to lean towards ps4 but with the censorship stuff it has flipped and now leans to switch.  I'll still go with ps4 releases though since if I want to play handheld mode I can stream to a vita.

And no while some titles are nintendo exclusives they can still not be system exclusives such in the case of sushi strikers and breath of the wild. Though besides skyward sword zelda games haven't remained an exclusive for over a decade almost always ending up on two at a time.  See twilight princess.  Granted in that games case the gc version was better due to not being mirrored and no motion controls but port/multiplatform differences are usually rarer. 

Persona Endless Night Collection is underwhelming, and I would wager that Atlus is cashing in on our love for Persona games. Compared to P4D, it is like a diet version of it. I have only played P3D so far, so I cannot speak to the quality of P5D, but P3D lacks a lot of charm and incentive to actually play compared to P4D. I was lucky enough to get the collection for $60 due to Amazon's pricing mistake, that's the only reason I don't have as big of a gripe with it as most others might have.
i plan on importing the Vita CE to get the soundtrack.

Also.

HERESY.

I just want that Persona 3 Remake/Remaster

Man don't we all^

Cmon atlus it's free money.  Just reuse p5's assets and release p3 purple pink platinum.  I would totally buy it a 4th time.  

Atelier Rorona DX has been removed from the US and Canada Atelier Arland bundle that was accidentally put up on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/9121/Atelier_Arland_series_Deluxe_Pack____DX/
Good thing I grabbed it yesterday. Concerning stuff is going on at steam.

Valve bans another VN from steam without explanation

Wtf. Everything about this release has just seemed quite odd. I haven't done any research yet, but I can only imagine that the PC versions have 30 fps caps and probably some BS resolution cap (even though people like Durante have shown how arbitrary resolutions are not only easy, but base level expectations for PC ports). Oh well, maybe I'm wrong. Lol
The framerate is actually uncapped. It supports standard resolutions in fullscreen mode like 1080 and 1440. But doesn't support ultrawide and possibly 4k going by whats mentioned on the steam forums. But some people are messing around with the hex edit to force those resolutions.

Indiegala has the Tokyo Core Anime Bundle

Right now the price is $3.99 but the price will likely go up to $4.99 in 11 hours.

It includes Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Daybreak: Special Gigs.

And just in case you didn't notice the thread, this week's Target Cartwheel offer is 50% off Yakuza 6($17.50) and 35% off Dragon's Crown Pro($20) on the PS4. In store only.

I am so used to playing the Persona Dancing games on Vita, so when I started the games on PS4 the 60 FPS blew me away lol

So smooth

If anyone knows, what are the lag adjustment options like in Persona Dancing on PS4? If I know how many ms off my display is, can I just dial that in using the same units? Does it have a separate option for audio, or just a single setting?

Haven't opened my PS4 Endless bundle yet - saw that it's a little disappointing, but it's one of my last GCU purchases before it expires.. Trying to decide if I want to stick with PS4 or go Vita

Forgive if this is known but I just noticed that Vesperia Definitive is $41 on amz for all versions plus another 5% if you play their coupon checkbox minigame.

I placed orders back when prime gave 20% discount, but the current pricing works out to be a little cheaper.

Forgive if this is known but I just noticed that Vesperia Definitive is $41 on amz for all versions plus another 5% if you play their coupon checkbox minigame.

I placed orders back when prime gave 20% discount, but the current pricing works out to be a little cheaper.
you're good. This thread needs some actual deals

Holy shit , Persona in Smash

Edit after the fact:

Can't wait to see Joker footage. Wow. If Nintendo gets Persona I can finally take my PS4 out back and shoot it

Mortal Kombat 11, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (Exclusive) are all coming to Switch

oh and Joker in Smash - I'd say Nintendo had a pretty big night. 

bread's done
Back