Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's baffling to me that the Tokyo Xanadu EX+ LE dropped from $150 to $50 and the standard is still at $40. It was on sale at Gamefly and the Aksys store for a few hours each at $20, but I've yet to see copies drop below $40 beyond that.

I don't want all the extra crap, I just want the game. :whistle2:(
Ah, come one, everyone loves extra crap. I'm just too cheapass to pay extra for it.

On PSN some of the dlc for Senran Kagura: Estival Versus is on sale. All the dlc characters individually, the extra missions pack, and the background music pack. This is the first time the Ikki Tousen characters have been on sale. But, their discounted bundle isn't on sale. At their individual price, 50% off they are only $3.00 cheaper than what their bundle regularly goes for. It's more like they're 33% off.

On PSN some of the dlc for Senran Kagura: Estival Versus is on sale. All the dlc characters individually, the extra missions pack, and the background music pack. This is the first time the Ikki Tousen characters have been on sale. But, their discounted bundle isn't on sale. At their individual price, 50% off they are only $3.00 cheaper than what their bundle regularly goes for. It's more like they're 33% off.
The DLC is the main reason I haven’t gotten that game. I’m too damned OCD about this crap, and it costs too much to complete.

Been keeping an eye on Tokyo Xanadu ex+ LE's since it was mentioned here a week or so ago. Just sharing what I did today since I don't expect it to be lower. Ended up getting one for $27 or so from this listing (6 remaining) after 15% code PLAYTIME15 (live today only, might end early) and 8% ebay bucks back (if the offer is on your account).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOKYO-XANADU-EX-LIMITED-EDITION-T/312365085325
Put in an offer for $34.21 so if he accepts I'll at least get the 8% cashback. He also had the Shiren LE for $30 so I at least got that with the coupon and cashback.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIREN-THE-WANDERER-LIMITED-EDITION-E10/382588891842?hash=item59141332c2:g:k70AAOSwJTNbv~Iy:rk:1:pf:0

Put in an offer for $34.21 so if he accepts I'll at least get the 8% cashback. He also had the Shiren LE for $30 so I at least got that with the coupon and cashback.
Nice, the seller didn't have that shiren LE listing up when i was looking midday yesterday. Isn't there a definitive version coming to switch soon?

Also there's a rumored sitewide 10-15% code rumored to go live tomorrow so if you do win a best offer, I would wait to check out until tomorrow just in case.

Nice, the seller didn't have that shiren LE listing up when i was looking midday yesterday. Isn't there a definitive version coming to switch soon?

Also there's a rumored sitewide 10-15% code rumored to go live tomorrow so if you do win a best offer, I would wait to check out until tomorrow just in case.
Damn, another one? eBay has been killing it lately with all of this. And I've been dipping my toe back into knocking some retro games and consoles off of my list, so that works great for me! I think it's time for a new PS2 slim tomorrow :3

The DLC is the main reason I haven’t gotten that game. I’m too damned OCD about this crap, and it costs too much to complete.
I feel you. DLC has become very important to me in terms of what I play/buy.

Mass Effect 3 DLC on PS3 has been the bane of my existence for a long time.

Man that new Granblue fantasy: relink game looks amazing.  Those frames are something i've never seen on console. Way over 60. Action and graphics look awesome too. Based Platinum games.

Man that new Granblue fantasy: relink game looks amazing. Those frames are something i've never seen on console. Way over 60. Action and graphics look awesome too. Based Platinum games.
They announced a fighting game developed by Arc system works too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVY-xTNWU-o

Granblue Fantasy Re Link is the game we all need.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8dRStNJ_kM&t[/media]

I'm glad an English version has already been confirmed. Day 1

There is a rumor going around that Persona 5 Arena got delayed because ArcSys is working on Granblue Fantasy Versus. I hope it is real. P5 Arena looking like Guilty Gear sounds glorious. Gotta wait till the Persona Live (maybe)?

Wow! That looked amazing! This is definitely a day 1 buy for me. Hopefully this gets released sometime in 2019.

They announced a fighting game developed by Arc system works too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVY-xTNWU-o
I don't know why, but I don't really like how this is looking. I know it probably isn't, but the character animations look choppy and awkward.

This I can get behind. After the first trailer over the summer, it has been a day one purchase and after this latest gameplay video, I know I won't regret that decision.

Fanatical Ideafactory bundle sale.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/idea-factory-pick-and-mix

Buy 1 game for $5

Buy 3 games for $10

Buy 5 games for $15
Yeah I saw the email as well.

Here's a list of the games.

Games available
Hyper Devotion Noire Goddess Black Heart
Hakuoki Edo Blossoms
Hakuoki Kyoto Winds
Monster Monpiece
Moreo Chronicles
Dark Rose Valkyrie
Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force
Cyber Dimension Neptunia 4 goddesses online
Hyper Dimension Neptunia Action Unleashed
Hyper Dimension 3 Rebirth Victory Generation
Fairy Fencer F
Hyper Dimension 2 Rebirth Sisters Generation
Hyper Dimension 1 Rebirth
Mega Tagmension Blanc + Neptune vs Zombies

Received my order from iffy sale today. The mousepad for Mei Q and Scroll for Fairy Fencer are separately packed items fyi, and the boxes for the 2 Hakuoki LEs are huge!

This looks interesting. A PS4 exclusive (allegedly though may be also on PC).

Admit it looks good though it screams JRPG in the more conventional ways. That said, what strikes my fancy is that it's Platinum Games. Honestly, but for that brand on this title I'd be a lot less intrigued.

A Vtuber has already played through nearly 6 hours of Super Neptunia RPG. Only a couple CGs are seen, but the early Neptune with a stick scene is untouched despite the Japanese product page cropping out a panty shot. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfoPcEkkvE0

A Vtuber has already played through nearly 6 hours of Super Neptunia RPG. Only a couple CGs are seen, but the early Neptune with a stick scene is untouched despite the Japanese product page cropping out a panty shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfoPcEkkvE0
Did you actually watch this whole thing? I don’t know who does that, if I had six hours to spare, I’d rather be playing a game myself. Instead I’m stuck trying to finish work before the holidays.

Did Play-Asia remove the ability to apply discount codes? I don't see the option now when trying to place an order.
They did for their Play-Asia exclusives, though I haven't tried buying any of their non-exclusives with a coupon code lately, so they may have removed it from non-exclusive game orders as well.

That would be odd because someone I follow on Youtube started advertising with his own coupon code just last week.

That game definitely looks like it is not for me.  Also the constant noise is god damn annoying as hell.  Did they really think it was necessary for neptune to make a noise every time she jumps and crap in a game with what looks to be heavy platforming?

Must be nice to have not hit the age where you make a noise every time you jump. Or move.

Edit: There was an old Welcome Back Kotter bit I was hoping to find but I couldn't. It was Mr. Kotter sitting down and going "Oahy... that's my father's noise. I'm making the same sounds he used to make."

Gamefly also has a sale going on.
Yakuza kiwami 2 19.99
Shining resonance refrain ps4 xbox one 14.99
dynasty warriors 9 12.99
south park fractured but whole 12.99
south park stick of truth 6.99
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner MARS 14.99

Stuff I saw combing through gamestops 5$ and under sale page

Pokemon mystery dungeon red rescue team
ff13-3
ff13
ff13-2
mega man battle network 4 blue moon
mega man battle network white version
blue dragon plus
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2
tales of Dawn of the new world Knight of ratatosk
killer is dead 
puzzle de harvest moon
glory of heracles
final fantasy crystal chronicles 
valkyria chronicles 1 ps3
mario golf toadstool tour
super mario advance
dragonballz legacy of goku 2
blazblu chrono phantasma ps3
yugioh the falsebound kingdom
one piece unlimited world red ps3
ragnarok odyssey psvita
murdered soul suspect xbox one
enchanted arms xbox 360
elite beat agents ds
mad world wii
enslaved odyssey to the west ps3 360
blazblue calamity trigger ps3
blazblue continuum shift extend xbox360 ps3
monster hunter world tri wii
final fantasy the crystal chronicles the crystal bearers wii
zone of the enders hd collection 360
infinite undiscovery
star ocean 4 the last hope 360
last remnant 
South park stick of truth
trinity universe

More than 5$

resonance of fate 6.99
blue dragon 9.99
lost odyssey 9.99
magna carta 2 7.99
kh hd 1.5 remix ps3 5.99

So figured this would be the best place to ask.

I wanna start playing the Atelier games again as I know I loved them in the PS2/3 days when they had the cool collector's edition version.

Do all the games have the time limits and what are those like. You have to race and do everything or its not that bad.

Also, should I start with the switch version Atelier Lydie and Suelle? or go old skool with the oG three they just released on switch for digital release.

Any help would be awesome. Also, what are some other world-building games kinda like these on switch?

Thinking of getting Lil Dragons cafe too

So figured this would be the best place to ask.
I wanna start playing the Atelier games again as I know I loved them in the PS2/3 days when they had the cool collector's edition version.
Do all the games have the time limits and what are those like. You have to race and do everything or its not that bad.

Also, should I start with the switch version Atelier Lydie and Suelle? or go old skool with the oG three they just released on switch for digital release.

Any help would be awesome. Also, what are some other world-building games kinda like these on switch?
Thinking of getting Lil Dragons cafe too
I was very disappointed with Dragon Cafe, couldn’t play more then ten hours.

The Rorona trilogy has doable but somewhat tight deadlines. It’s probably the most controversial set, because it’s pretty much impossible to see all the events without a guide, and some people don’t like the deadlines at all. I personally enjoyed it though.

The atelier series removed the deadlines during the dusk trilogy, and I found those games quite dull. In the first one, I constantly found myself sleeping for weeks to advance the story after easily completing the bingo board of challenges with time to kill, so it’s just as well they removed it.

The mystery trilogy brought back the deadlines in the second game (Faris) but it’s quite generous and allows infinite free time after finishing the first half. Sophie was ok, but I found Faris to be a great revival of the series and am looking forward to L&S.

I have them all on PS, so I can’t speak to the switch versions, but these games aren’t too demanding so I would expect the switch to handle them fine.

I was very disappointed with Dragon Cafe, couldn’t play more then ten hours.

The Rorona trilogy has doable but somewhat tight deadlines. It’s probably the most controversial set, because it’s pretty much impossible to see all the events without a guide, and some people don’t like the deadlines at all. I personally enjoyed it though.

The atelier series removed the deadlines during the dusk trilogy, and I found those games quite dull. In the first one, I constantly found myself sleeping for weeks to advance the story after easily completing the bingo board of challenges with time to kill, so it’s just as well they removed it.

The mystery trilogy brought back the deadlines in the second game (Faris) but it’s quite generous and allows infinite free time after finishing the first half. Sophie was ok, but I found Faris to be a great revival of the series and am looking forward to L&S.

I have them all on PS, so I can’t speak to the switch versions, but these games aren’t too demanding so I would expect the switch to handle them fine.
Thanks for the input.

I have too many games on the console right now (Subnautica, Fallout 76, Red Dead 2, Assassin's Creed and Fortnite.

But I am looking for games to play on my switch beside like Zelda and Pokemon.

I want more world building games on my switch and wanted to try the Dragons Cafe and Atelier series.

Lydelle and Suelle is the only switch physical release. I think I will get that as I do not like strict timelines as I like to explore and see the world.

L&S is a good choice. Even though it's the third in the Mysterious series, the story isn't connected to any other game's plots. The previous characters trickle in and you see some resolutions to their stories, but it's told from the point of view of the twins. 

Though you have to lower expectations as the later ateliers lack english voice work.  Granted its not like the games had much to begin with.

bread's done
Back