Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Merry-Xmas.jpg

I've been on vacation and still am but here is about 2 weeks worth of visual novel news. I will be completing If You Love Me, Than Say So likely shortly after the new year and will try to do a review. So far very, very average.

Sweet Pool from Jast USA was released. It's a BL kind of dark looking VN. I'm not much into the genre, but this might have some interesting stuff in it. Also it's from Nitro+, so I will likely play a version in the future. Also censored version is on Steam.

VNDB (NSFW)

Jast USA (NSFW)

Steam

Some announcements:

- Nekonyansoft announced 2 new games.

Senren * Banka from Yuzusoft (VNDB NSFW)

Making * Lovers by Smee (VNDB NSFW)

NekoNyansoft announcement blog (NSFW)

Senren * Banka was announced by Sekai Project before, but it didn't work out and now NekoNyansoft is working on it. This one is about a guy and takes place in a remote village known for their hot springs. He breaks a divine sword and now needs to marry the priestess and high jinks ensue. It looks fun and is an easy play for me being long and likely high quality.

Making * Lovers is a game about an older guy who was always waiting for the perfect girl and relationship. He agrees to go on a blind date and his adult dating life begins. Honestly this looks pretty good. Most of the characters are working at jobs and trying to find love. Sounds somewhat realistic for one of these type of games. Easy purchase for me.

Also be sure to pre-order their January release Hello, Goodbye Link (NSFW) because you get the soundtrack and a slight discount. This is banned from Steam, so support this company. They deserve it, plus DRM Free.

- Fakku announced Oral Lessons with Chii-Chan. A pretty obviously named eroge. She is a Gyaru. That's about all i'll say.

VNDB (NSFW)

- A translation patch was released by WatashiTL for My girlfriend gets aroused watching me have s*x with another girl. If that's not the most obvious title for anything, I don't know what is.

VNDB (NSFW)

Very excited for the NekoNyansoft announcements. They are doing high quality work with high quality titles. 

I believe that and Sumaga may have engine issues on Windows 10. Maybe we get a release someday? I was highly looking forward to both of them as well.

Last I checked a JAST rep said that they're planning on having it done by 2020. Not sure if he was serious or joking though...

making progress as I play pokemon yellow switch eevee version.  Just caught a chancey in the diglet tunnel which was weird.  Got the arcanine from the girl in vermilion for five meowths.  Next is erika.

so5 faithlessness and lack of integrity I got anne and emmerson and just got victor back and now I am in the ice covered mountain area.  So far the women are all awful.  Anne remains as the only hope for a decent one.   I really hate miki both design and character wise.  Her face is just really off.  And her personality is that of a brat and bitch.

Was debating that $13.64 Tracer Nendoroid but the almost $6 shipping kills it for me. Tracer is not my main in OW, but for $14 would of bought it for another thing to put on my desk at work. If it was the D.VA one though, then I would of bought it probably since D.VA is my main.

For the past couple of days I've been practicing with 2B in Soul Calibur VI's training mode, and today I finally did some online matches. They did such an awesome job with her. Before looking at her move list I tried all the standard button inputs that 3D fighters use. One after another I kept seeing her do moves from Nier: Automata. It was so cool. I tried the game a bit after buying it on Black Friday, and I wasn't sure how much I would end up playing it. But now I see I'm going to have a lot of fun playing as 2B.

And I bought Gal Gun 2 a few days ago. A guy who worked on the localization was recently showing the game off on one of my favorite streams, so I got kind of interested in it.

They're starting to get mad at Steam too. They just haven't touched an anime boob game that more than 5 people care about yet.

I'm gonna post this here too:

It's been sold out for a while everywhere I'm aware of. Even the US LE is sold out at this point.
Regarding the ToV Definitive Anniversary; It appears to be in stock at the BN store: https://www.bandainamcoentstore.com/product/496049/tales-of-vesperia-definitive-edition-anniversary-bundle-nintendo-switch

I was able to add all three console versions to cart; I didn't check out, because I can't justify the price on this pitiful excuse for a special. I was willing to pay for the CEs for ToS, ToX, ToX2, and ToB, and this game is arguably better then any of those. But I just couldn't pull the trigger on this one.

If only ToV LE came with a statue or something. It's so pricy for just a steel book, an art book, and some keychains. I got that email too, but I just couldn't pull the trigger at 100, which is literally the price of two copies of the game without discounts. Also, I like repede and all, but even the old xbox 360 steel book looked better...

I had the NA ToV preordered, but canceled it awhile ago.  I got lucky on an EU one from Amazon.de a month ago.  It was sold out the second I checked the page again after I ordered too.

Also Happy (belated) Holidays and New Year everyone! 

Yo got some more clearance at target
all titles listed below are 4.99
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds (I bought this one)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon 
Super Mario 3D Land
Nintendo Selects: Ultimate NES Remix - Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo Selects: Animal Crossing™: New Leaf Nintendo 3DS
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse Nintendo 3DS (I will be buying this one at my target asap)
Project X Zone 2 Nintendo 3DS
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D already removed from the site listing but some people have found it in store. 

Other items 
Mario Kart 7 $14.99
New Super Mario Bros. 2 $14.99
Detective Pikachu (Nintendo 3DS) $24.99
Minecraft (New Nintendo 3DS) (Nintendo 3DS) $14.99

Games I can't see the price on because it is out of stock and has price only visible when added to cart
Puzzles & Dragons Z + Puzzle and Dragons Super Mario Edition Nintendo 3DS
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest Nintendo 3DS
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright Nintendo 3DS

For anyone in north east ohio not only did the website lied about nothing but the one game being in stock but every game was in stock at my nearby target and they had ample stock of at least 4-6 of each.  I went there for smt and ended up picking up most of the games listed that I wanted.  ocarina of time, mario, and luigis mansion.

They even had a couple things like the special edition of fire emblem warriors.

Happy hunting.

if anyone here plays Fist of the North Star and needs the launch dlc set:

AGB9-2FNJ-9H*6

In three days one of my top-10 all time jrpg's is getting re-released.  * is the first letter in the first word of its title.

tales of vesperia I assume?
Yes I'm hyped for it as I almost imported the ps3 disc back in the day. Decided to get the physical switch version at launch. Will probably pick up the pc version as well down the road when it gets cheap like ToB/ToZ.

Catherine Classic just released on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/893180/Catherine_Classic/

EDIT: I should also note that the PC release has Japanese audio, which apparently wasn't released in the west before.  For those that may prefer that.

EDIT:  This article from PCGamer suggests there might be more Atlus/SEGA games coming to PC in the future:

https://www.pcgamer.com/catherine-classic-is-out-now-on-pc-and-more-atlus-games-could-follow/

“We wanted to give the PC audience the opportunity to experience Catherine for the first time as it was originally released,” Sega tells us. “And Catherine Classic is the perfect way to accomplish that goal.”

But what about Catherine Full Body, or other Sega console games? We already know Sega is keen to put more of these games on PC, and some more announcements could be on the horizon.

“We hope to have more exciting news to share from Sega/Atlus in regards to publishing on PC in the future,” says Sega.

I am torn over getting ToV: Definitive. I loved the game when I played it on 360 but $50 ($40 after GCU) seems a little steep for the new stuff they're offering. The mismatched English voice acting can be jarring as well from what I've read.

I am torn over getting ToV: Definitive. I loved the game when I played it on 360 but $50 ($40 after GCU) seems a little steep for the new stuff they're offering. The mismatched English voice acting can be jarring as well from what I've read.
Personally, I want to support Bandai-Namco finally giving us the expanded version of ToV after all these years, plus I can play it on a non-Microsoft console. I'm going to play it with Japanese voices (another addition I'm thankful to Bamco for), so the scenes where Troy Baker was replaced won't affect me.

Just wait for a sale then?

I'm sure the Tales game will be around $20 like they all reach eventually. I have wanted to play it for years after hearing old friends say it was great many years ago and them buying the Alter figures of some of the ladies. Mine should be here tomorrow I believe. 

I'm so bummed about the mismatched voice acting. It's not going to ruin the game or anything, but it does really, really hold back this new version. I went through and 100% completed the original 360 version, and I don't feel like it has been long enough to justify another play yet. I will play this new version at some point, though, without a doubt.

This was the last Tales game of this style, and I think they basically perfected it with this one. As much as I have enjoyed the releases since this one, a lot of the changes made for the new formula simply did not make the series better. Due to how Xillia sold, though, it makes sense why that style is here to stay. I just wish we could get a hybrid of the two that addresses the problems with the latter by integrating what they were already doing better  with the former. 

I'm very excited for the Vesperia release :D I am disappointed in the "Premium" edition the US got, but I'm still looking forward to the new content and outfits. Hopefully all of the DLC outfits are available from the beginning. I already have a Saturday Tales-a-thon planned with a couple friends :)

Personally, I want to support Bandai-Namco finally giving us the expanded version of ToV after all these years, plus I can play it on a non-Microsoft console. I'm going to play it with Japanese voices (another addition I'm thankful to Bamco for), so the scenes where Troy Baker was replaced won't affect me.
I do want to support them as well so we continue getting Tales games in the West. Decided to go ahead and get it now even though I still have my 360 copy. Doubt I get the Plat but I should be able to finish the story and new content before RE2 and KH3. Don't remember much about the game since I haven't played in over 10 years so it will almost be like a new experience. :D

I do want to support them as well so we continue getting Tales games in the West. Decided to go ahead and get it now even though I still have my 360 copy. Doubt I get the Plat but I should be able to finish the story and new content before RE2 and KH3. Don't remember much about the game since I haven't played in over 10 years so it will almost be like a new experience. :D
It's a fairly difficult platinum with a lot to do. While some of it is fairly grindy (TIDAL WAVE BLAH BLAH BLAH!) a lot of it is also pretty fun and feels good to complete. This game is much more enjoyable to 100% than any of the games that have followed. Some of those secret missions, though, man...

I noticed last night that Best Buy is down to store pickup only on Senran Kagura Burst Renewal At The Seams edition. It's $79.99 but works with GCU to make it $63.99. The main thing over the $49.99 ($39.99 GCU) Tailor Made edition is a set of keychains and the box. The Digital version of Tailor Made comes with about $10 in extras like a theme and some costumes that are timed exclusives.

As soon as I preordered the next available copy was 90 miles away.

I noticed last night that Best Buy is down to store pickup only on Senran Kagura Burst Renewal At The Seams edition. It's $79.99 but works with GCU to make it $63.99. The main thing over the $49.99 ($39.99 GCU) Tailor Made edition is a set of keychains and the box. The Digital version of Tailor Made comes with about $10 in extras like a theme and some costumes that are timed exclusives.

As soon as I preordered the next available copy was 90 miles away.
Isn't this the game that everyone is avoiding because the cartoons are less naked?

bread's done
Back