Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered SNK heroines on Switch from Amazon and they sent me a PEGI copy. Does this mean I can't download any of the free DLC? If so it's going right back.
Never buy games from third party sellers anymore, they're all scum and Amazon doesn't enforce anything. PAL copies of games and UAE Nintendo stuff is rampant.

Never buy games from third party sellers anymore, they're all scum and Amazon doesn't enforce anything. PAL copies of games and UAE Nintendo stuff is rampant.
I didn't. It was "shipped from and sold by Amazon.com." And that doesn't really answer my question. I don't care what rating logo is on the game. I just want to know if the DLC is compatible or not.

I didn't. It was "shipped from and sold by Amazon.com." And that doesn't really answer my question. I don't care what rating logo is on the game. I just want to know if the DLC is compatible or not.
It depends on the game, but in the worst case, you just make a second account on the switch located in the EU region and download the DLC using that account. You can then use it on any account.

Sorry if this got posted already but looks like the next SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays is getting a Steam release. And with that, it may indicate that it's getting an official western release as well. In the past the best we've gotten was an Asia Eng sub release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PL_VDi3lpg

Hello, Goodbye is a really unique VN. The setting and characters are different since the main guy is a military guy, and has a unique setting and characters. There does seem to be a natural playing order for the order of choices (1 to get on a person's main path). The visuals, characters and story are really good after just about completing 2 routes. This is the type of VNs we should strive to support, as it's not generic at all. I don't think it's super long, but likely will give me about 20 or less hours of game play. I may give a full review later, but these are my impressions after pretty much completing 2 routes.
That is already out? I heard about it (here I think)... where can I buy it?

I'll just leave this here.

https://twitter.com/anime_kaguya/status/1089175125105303553

It's the ED from the 3rd ep of Kaguya-sama wa kokurasetai, best anime this season.

I'll just leave this here.

https://twitter.com/anime_kaguya/status/1089175125105303553

It's the ED from the 3rd ep of Kaguya-sama wa kokurasetai, best anime this season.
I know Japanese is hard to learn, but mispronouncing Kakegurui this badly is kind of embarrassing.

Sorry if this got posted already but looks like the next SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays is getting a Steam release. And with that, it may indicate that it's getting an official western release as well. In the past the best we've gotten was an Asia Eng sub release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PL_VDi3lpg
Already confirmed to be SE Asia only on Steam.

I quite enjoyed 7 deadly sins myself but that wouldn't be this season.  

Steven universe was pretty good though the finale was rushed to hell.  It needed at least another season to resolve everything.  It is getting a season 6 and an upcoming movie in the fall but lord knows what that will be about.  Sunstone is the eldritch fusion of every childrens tvshow cereal and drink mascot combined together and their worst aspects magnified. 

Obsidian was sick as hell.  Never seen someone make a sword from their own vomit.

Rainbow diamond 2.0 was a bit over the top.  I have to give them points for the weapon being a spear and shield fused together making an umbrella.  I wouldn't have thought of that combination.

I haven’t heard much talked about it but when looking at upcoming releases I found Steins Gate Elite. Totally forgot to preorder it and it’s releasing Feb 19. Perfect time to use my GCU and $10 cert.

Jesus Christ, almost hard to believe Kingdom Hearts III will be here on Tuesday. I remember after beating the first game back then and then finding out about Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix in Japan, that there was an unknown boss added to Final Mix and I remember scurrying the internet to try and find out all the information I could about it and eventually watching the Boss Battle on various fansites. I still think that was the most intense and nerve racking battle especially since you didn't know who it was.

Anyone get their 2018 stats email from Sony yet?

Here's my top three played:

1. Overwatch (105 hours)
2. Hyperdimension Neptunia (29 hours). Not sure which one, maybe one of the Vita games. I think I finished Blanc vs. Zombies and Action Unleashed last year.
3. Gungun Pixies (29 hours). I was shocked by this one. Didn't realize I put so much time into it.

446 total hours of gameplay.

I managed to get it to send it to me this year after having dug around to figure out why it wasn't working for me years prior. So mine are:

Monster Hunter World (99 Hours - Mostly Co-op)

Divinity Original Sin 2 (70 Hours - Co-op)

Divinity Original Sin (69 Hours - Co-op)

16 of my 33 games were RPGs for my top genre followed by Action-Adventure. Apparently I clocked 1734 hours of gameplay. I assume that counts using Netflix and Amazon Video because I sure as hell didn't clock that across 33 games. Either that or leaving the PS4 on at the dashboard since 168 hours is clocked online. My apparent title was 'Funky Strategist' I guess? Whatever that is supposed to infer.

If you don't have the email yet, this is the link to see it.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2018/wrap-up/

You just won't have those themes. 

Atelier Lydie And Suelle 89 Hours
Megadimension Neptunia Viir 78 Hours
No Mans Sky 38 Hours

I used the PSVR for a total of 8 hours in the past year so I ended up blowing off the dust and putting it away.

Probably 3-4 of those hours were the VIIR cutscenes too.

Tales of Berseria: 118 Hours

Dragon Quest XI: 98 Hours

Danganronpa V3: 73 Hours

Got the plats on all three, so that makes sense.

39 games / 791 hours / 907 trophies for cumulative stats.

Monster Hunter World : 290 hours  /monkas

Exist Archive: 67 hours

Demon gaze 2  53 hours 

got plat for the 2nd and 3rd game, but not MHW coz i hate arena quests lol

Problem is Sony keeps counting hours even on sleep mode in Vita.

Super Robot Wars X 195

Chaos; Child 95

Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth 97

None of those are correct.

My stats:

Overwatch - 163 hours

Monster Hunter World - 156 hours

Red Dead Redemption 2 - 83 hours

43 different games, 851 hours of gameplay.

Pretty good year of gaming, less than the 1450 I did last year though.

psnstats.png

134 plats. Lowest year for me in awhile since I didn't get anything trophy-wise for 3 months. :)

It says it couldn't find my details and or I'm not in the USA? Odd.....
There's some stupid option (probably marketing related) that you have to enable for you to allow it to gather these stats. It's typically one I uncheck when I create accounts on sites or after the fact to help reduce email spam. Unfortunately I don't recall what I had to do to fix it, but you wouldn't see results until the next year anyways.

I think that same option enables emails from Sony for the occasional PSN discount code if you don't get those as well.

2438 hours of play

46 different games

425 trophies

My numbers are always badly bloated because I have the worst habit of walking away leaving my system idling in a game for hours on end. 

Destiny 2 - 463

Tales of Berseria - 275

Monster Hunter World - 242

Destiny 2 was mainly because my brother starting playing ps4 again this year and that was our go to game :) Best part is under the top ps+ game played online highlight it says I played Destiny 2 under 400 hours online.. I'm pretty sure that means I have like nearly 100 hrs clocked in on the launch screen lol.

Eh, the PC version of DQ XI is where it's at anyway. 60 FPS, higher resolution, and you can mod in the proper symphonic version of the OST. So don't be too hard on people that don't have it in their PS4 list lol.

no, sorry, I never would have played 140+ hours of DQ11 sitting at my computer desk with kb&m.  It's a couch game. 

and yes, I know that I can plug my pc into my tv, but it's hooked up in my office where it's supposed to be. 

TBH it's actually perfect for a Swtich game.  I have a buddy who is waiting to play it on that.

I didn't mean for this to get serious, but oh well.

Can't wait for ToCS on PS4 next month!

Only 7 games for me last year.

Top 3:
ToCS - 60
ToCS2 - 106
DanganRonpa v3 - 34

The ToCS time seems high as I didn’t get the 100 hour play trophy.

Dragon Quest XI will be one of my top games for this year for sure. 75 hours in and still in act 3.

The most telling thing about all these numbers is how many of you didn't play Dragon Quest 11!
Maybe it's just me, but as much as I love the gameplay, the music is fucking terrible and keeps me from going back to it. It was charming when I started the game, but that quickly faded and turned into some nails on a chalkboard nightmare. I'm hoping the Switch version has the symphonic suite version of the soundtrack.

Only 7 games for me last year.

Top 3:
ToCS - 60
ToCS2 - 106
DanganRonpa v3 - 34

The ToCS time seems high as I didn’t get the 100 hour play trophy.

Dragon Quest XI will be one of my top games for this year for sure. 75 hours in and still in act 3.
any lost time due to game over/restart, time in the menu/start screen or multiple saves was probably what hit that timer but not for the trophy.

no, sorry, I never would have played 140+ hours of DQ11 sitting at my computer desk with kb&m. It's a couch game.
My playtime on Dragon Quest XI is 60 hours on the PC. I played with a controller and set it up to be able to fast forward for things like combat since I felt it was too slow. That really took my time down when I compare to others play times. Also didn't do the post-game since my friend who's family sharing with me on Steam started playing it before he was supposed to, causing me to lose interest since I took a couple days break before I was going back to play it. Pretty much what prevented me from doing a write-up on it too.

I also have a really nice leather computer chair, but I really need a new one as it's very old and starting to fall apart. Not looking forward to pay an arm and a leg for a good computer chair though. I don't really differentiate between a monitor and a TV much though. Couches are nice, but it doesn't do well for my long term posture like an expensive chair does.

bread's done
Back