Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer things on my tele for teh 4K HDR experience. My 1440p 165hz monitor is more appropriate for other things like Battlefield and Overwatch.

My playtime on Dragon Quest XI is 60 hours on the PC. I played with a controller and set it up to be able to fast forward for things like combat since I felt it was too slow. That really took my time down when I compare to others play times. Also didn't do the post-game since my friend who's family sharing with me on Steam started playing it before he was supposed to, causing me to lose interest since I took a couple days break before I was going back to play it. Pretty much what prevented me from doing a write-up on it too.

I also have a really nice leather computer chair, but I really need a new one as it's very old and starting to fall apart. Not looking forward to pay an arm and a leg for a good computer chair though. I don't really differentiate between a monitor and a TV much though. Couches are nice, but it doesn't do well for my long term posture like an expensive chair does.
I hear ya, a good gaming PC chair is very hard to find! F those super overpriced flimsy mesh chairs; I can't believe how they're a thing now. Of course skinny guys buy them because they have to have everything skinny. Little guys love to dress and accessorize small. Like their skinny sweaters, skinny winter poofy coats, and their skinny jeans. Every business sells them because they're cheaper to make obviously, bc fewer materials, and yet they're still sold for $200-$279. My other big gripe are the floating arms on all chairs. Arms should be padded and soft, and ideally attached to the main back of the chair somehow.

I have a couple of pleather throne sized chairs but they have been peeling for a couple of years. Many years ago I purchased them at Office Depot and that company is gone now. Good PC chairs are hard to find and no one wants to pay $300-500+. Some of those really nice custom racing style chairs fall apart just like everything else too.

Price absolutely does not correlate with quality.

There's some stupid option (probably marketing related) that you have to enable for you to allow it to gather these stats. It's typically one I uncheck when I create accounts on sites or after the fact to help reduce email spam. Unfortunately I don't recall what I had to do to fix it, but you wouldn't see results until the next year anyways.

I think that same option enables emails from Sony for the occasional PSN discount code if you don't get those as well.
I don't get those either. I would love to figure that out.

office depot is still around from what I understand.  You are probably thinking of office max which they bought and is one of their subsidaries.  I have an office depot/max right in the same parking lot as my work even.

My playtime on Dragon Quest XI is 60 hours on the PC. I played with a controller and set it up to be able to fast forward for things like combat since I felt it was too slow. That really took my time down when I compare to others play times. Also didn't do the post-game since my friend who's family sharing with me on Steam started playing it before he was supposed to, causing me to lose interest since I took a couple days break before I was going back to play it. Pretty much what prevented me from doing a write-up on it too.

I also have a really nice leather computer chair, but I really need a new one as it's very old and starting to fall apart. Not looking forward to pay an arm and a leg for a good computer chair though. I don't really differentiate between a monitor and a TV much though. Couches are nice, but it doesn't do well for my long term posture like an expensive chair does.
I prefer things on my tele for teh 4K HDR experience. My 1440p 165hz monitor is more appropriate for other things like Battlefield and Overwatch.

I hear ya, a good gaming PC chair is very hard to find! F those super overpriced flimsy mesh chairs; I can't believe how they're a thing now. Of course skinny guys buy them because they have to have everything skinny. Little guys love to dress and accessorize small. Like their skinny sweaters, skinny winter poofy coats, and their skinny jeans. Every business sells them because they're cheaper to make obviously, bc fewer materials, and yet they're still sold for $200-$279. My other big gripe are the floating arms on all chairs. Arms should be padded and soft, and ideally attached to the main back of the chair somehow.

I have a couple of pleather throne sized chairs but they have been peeling for a couple of years. Many years ago I purchased them at Office Depot and that company is gone now. Good PC chairs are hard to find and no one wants to pay $300-500+. Some of those really nice custom racing style chairs fall apart just like everything else too.

Price absolutely does not correlate with quality.
I just bought a new chair last week from office depot for $130. It's one of the serta arlington AIR chairs. It's pretty nice. But it's absolutely crazy how expensive chairs are.

I'm waiting for the Switch version of Dragon Quest 11.

Not because I'm going to buy the Switch version, but it'll drive the price of the other versions down.

Same way I got Monster Hunter World when the PC version launched.

All of these restrictive points and assumptions about where PC games are meant to be played lol. I've got a proper desk setup with nice speakers and headphones (depending on what I need). I can use whatever controller I fancy or KB/M. I've also got a HDMI cable and some USB cables run through the wall--really quite easy to do--so that I can use my TV and surround sound setup in the living room. There, now it's got all of the utility and 'comfort' of a console, but with a metric ass load of additional benefits--such as those I originally mentioned for DQ XI on the platform. And I'm in no way bragging; anyone can have these things just like I do, or even better!

And, while I do very much enjoy gaming at my desk, DQ XI looks brilliant in my living room, on my TV, with my surround sound, with my PS4 controller wirelessly controlling it. It's just at a higher res, frame rate, and has proper, symphonic music compared to playing it on the PS4 Pro that also sits there hooked up to the same setup. It all comes down to what one places importance on and what they're willing to do to get it. As it took some time for me to get my setup, and my house was in no way built to allow for easy connectivity between living room and office.

What I'm really trying to get at here is that cutting holes in drywall with a saw is quite fun. 

I'm waiting for the Switch version of Dragon Quest 11.

Not because I'm going to buy the Switch version, but it'll drive the price of the other versions down.

Same way I got Monster Hunter World when the PC version launched.
While I agree with the logic, just want to mention this isn't always the case. YS VIII for the PS4 went up in price significantly after the Switch version was released...

I know that's not Square Enix, but sometimes companies stop producing copies of one version because there was enough demand, only for demand to resurface after a port (and yet not have the foresight of reprinting). Similar to sequels making demand of the original (Gravity Rush comes to mind).

Huh, while I was checking for something else it apparently allows you to link your stats page for others to view directly.

I don't get those either. I would love to figure that out.
I did a little digging but couldn't remember where the settings were. You could potentially try enabling the notification settings here:

https://id.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/id/management/

They're two that I normally would have disabled, but they're enabled so I can only believe I did it purposely. I take email spam somewhat seriously as I get too many emails daily despite having something like a fifty email rules and actively make sure that I'm unsubscribed from as much as possible.

Like I said though, enabling it won't make stats viewable for 2018. All I can say is watch to ensure you get proper discount codes when other people get them, in which case you're probably fine. You'll just need to put up with the rest of their useless spam.

I just bought a new chair last week from office depot for $130. It's one of the serta arlington AIR chairs. It's pretty nice. But it's absolutely crazy how expensive chairs are.
If I remember correctly I paid about $250 for mine 15 years ago or so. It was bought used through an acquaintance and of high quality leather. Despite using leather cleaning items and maintaining it fairly well, the seat finally ripped recently after having faded from me using it too damn much. Though if I patch it anymore, it'll end up black with gorilla tape rather than the dark blue it is. Surprisingly still quite comfortable, but the arm rest padding hasn't fared as well as the seat and back.

No idea who made this chair as I don't recall ever seeing a tag, but I feel it was quite worth it. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if it comes with a 10+ year full replacement warranty though.

I just found out some of the dlc cosmetics from Senran Kagura: Estival Versus will carry over to Burst Re:Newal. The other day when I saw Estival Versus dlc in the add-ons section for Burst Re:Newal I thought PSN had made a mistake. When I purchased today's free Burst dlc I thought maybe those outfits are crossbuy. I looked it up, and it was confirmed last month some dlc would carry over.

But it's kind of sad. Burst Re:Newal will have Renka's swimsuit, but apparently not Renka.

Humble Indie PS4 Bundle [Digital] is up at Humble Bundle. Nothing in the way of Japanese games, but it does include Wasteland 2 Director's Cut (CRPG) and The Bard's Tale Remastered (Action RPG). There's also a couple adventure games, Grim Fandango Remastered and Broken Age.

$1 Tier

- Grim Fandango Remastered

- The Bard's Tale

- InnerSpace

Pay the Average Tier ($9.33 at posting)

- Layers of Fear

- Wasteland 2: Director's Cut

- The Talos Principle

- Broken Age

$15 Tier

- Killing Floor 2

- Shadow Warrior 2

If you're interested and haven't done this before, it will be digital download codes only (EDIT: One key per tier as opposed to individual codes per game). If you pay for the more expensive tiers, then the cheaper tiers are included. Example that purchasing the $15 tier would get you everything.

https://twitter.com/CompileHeartWeb/status/1088725229570973696

If you want to get Moe Chronicles Japanese version on Switch, you've got 10 hours to buy it for the cost of a 3000 yen card.

Somehow my Kingdom Hearts 3 came out to $41 shipped from Amazon with no gift cards or active discounts used. Totally not complaining on that one, especially with the $10 promo coming ontop of that too

Somehow my Kingdom Hearts 3 came out to $41 shipped from Amazon with no gift cards or active discounts used. Totally not complaining on that one, especially with the $10 promo coming ontop of that too
Did you preorder it nearly 3 years ago when it was that glitch price of 40ish? Or maybe before and it auto price matched that? I don't remember what the glitch was.. since I missed it. But I know a lot of ppl locked in an awesome price for it.

Did you preorder it nearly 3 years ago when it was that glitch price of 40ish? Or maybe before and it auto price matched that? I don't remember what the glitch was.. since I missed it. But I know a lot of ppl locked in an awesome price for it.
Yeah I had to double check the date myself - ordered mine 01/25/2015, 4 years ago.

Just looked back, I did pre-order it back in 2015 so apparently thats the case.

Huh, while I was checking for something else it apparently allows you to link your stats page for others to view directly.

I did a little digging but couldn't remember where the settings were. You could potentially try enabling the notification settings here:

https://id.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/id/management/

They're two that I normally would have disabled, but they're enabled so I can only believe I did it purposely. I take email spam somewhat seriously as I get too many emails daily despite having something like a fifty email rules and actively make sure that I'm unsubscribed from as much as possible.

Like I said though, enabling it won't make stats viewable for 2018. All I can say is watch to ensure you get proper discount codes when other people get them, in which case you're probably fine. You'll just need to put up with the rest of their useless spam.

If I remember correctly I paid about $250 for mine 15 years ago or so. It was bought used through an acquaintance and of high quality leather. Despite using leather cleaning items and maintaining it fairly well, the seat finally ripped recently after having faded from me using it too damn much. Though if I patch it anymore, it'll end up black with gorilla tape rather than the dark blue it is. Surprisingly still quite comfortable, but the arm rest padding hasn't fared as well as the seat and back.

No idea who made this chair as I don't recall ever seeing a tag, but I feel it was quite worth it. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if it comes with a 10+ year full replacement warranty though.
Which boxes do I check?

Yep, my 2015 order was $40.99+ tax as well. I assume the promo credit will be sent later. Although I did not get the $10 for my smash preorder (w/ prime discount), so I had to contact them and they added it in the form of courtesy credit.

Ah. I've never ordered the $10 promo stuff at Amazon before. And this one was only because it's the $40 order from 2015, with preorder bonus keyblade.
i got the 2015 pre order as well. Doubt we would get the $10. Amazon CS will probably tell us that we already got a big discount so there is no need for the $10 promo. :lol: But if people are contacting CS, guess I should try as well.

Didn't get $10 Promo with the Smash Pre Order (Did get 20% pre order discount though.)

I have both checked in the notification settings section, but I'd guess that only the top one would need to be checked. I'm not completely sure though.
:whistle2:k I have the first one checked the other one seems for 3rd party marketing which I'm not too keen on. I receive "Weekly Updates" but never "here is free stuff!" A long time ago I did get those codes but it just stopped randomly.

I guess I'll see at the end of the year for 2019 because I already know I spent most of 2018 playing Yakuza K1-5 and Destiny

I have both checked in the notification settings section, but I'd guess that only the top one would need to be checked. I'm not completely sure though.
Back in business! I was never receiving any PlayStation emails because I unchecked these a long time ago. Thanks so much

So did Best Buy have Etrian Odyssey Nexus for preorder at some point and just sold out (for now) or has it never been available?

DyQUVQMV4AAsFId.jpg

Yes Nexus was available for preorder since last Fall. Must have recently filled up.

Who Hoo Persona Q!

That plush is too adorable. Getting this edition just for that. Really winding down 3DS games....likely this year it's just Bowser's Inside Story (wont get for a while), Etrian Odyssey and Persona Q2. Not really sure anything else I'm getting.

That plush is too adorable. Getting this edition just for that. Really winding down 3DS games....likely this year it's just Bowser's Inside Story (wont get for a while), Etrian Odyssey and Persona Q2. Not really sure anything else I'm getting.
I'm also picking up Yokai Watch 3, which comes out next week, mainly because I was a huge fan of the first two games.

Seems like $40 base game comes with the pins, $70 premium comes with everything pictured.

Still a little disappointed Atlus’s first print editions have gone so far downhill since the days of Persona 3 and Etrian Odyssey 3, e.g., but at least this premium offers a tiny bit more value for money than the original PQ’s.

Also poor Aigis getting grouped together with the animal mascots.

I'm also wondering what happened to this. My gamestop pre-order was cancelled a while back.
Pretty sure it's cancelled. At least my Amazon preorder was cancelled and I'm not seeing it on any of the upcoming release lists on Gamefly or other places anymore. I don't think the publisher announced the cancellation formally though.

Looks like Dead Or Alive : Scarlet for Switch ( Asia English ) is going to be ultra-rare.

Game went up yesterday and sold out already..sigh

bread's done
Back