Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Dead Or Alive : Scarlet for Switch ( Asia English ) is going to be ultra-rare.

Game went up yesterday and sold out already..sigh
Seriously, I wouldn't worry. Tecmo-Koei will be publishing plenty of copies of the game (all you have to do is look at how they handled publishing the PS4 version).

Looks like Dead Or Alive : Scarlet for Switch ( Asia English ) is going to be ultra-rare.
Game went up yesterday and sold out already..sigh
1. Appears to be available now
2. PA sent an email this morning saying both the Japan and Asia versions of DOAX3S support English, and pictures Switch box art

Here's what the email said:
ENGLISH CONFIRMED: JAPAN & ASIA!

English language options have been confirmed for Asia and Japan! Region free so no restrictions on whether or not you can play the games you want - and need!

Nicalis is no longer selling games at retail stores. They will be selling their games directly on their web site. RemiLore could still happen, but you would have to buy it directly from Nicalis.
It would be nice if they actually announced that or something. They need to spread the word or something. I emailed them when my order was canceled, but not even a response...

Waiting for the PQ2 stuff on Best Buy hopefully before April when my GCU goes bye bye. Glad all the last Vita retail releases got put up on Best Buy.

Nicalis is no longer selling games at retail stores. They will be selling their games directly on their web site. RemiLore could still happen, but you would have to buy it directly from Nicalis.
Where did you read or hear this? I can't seem to find any news on this. I do believe the Switch version of Remilore is still supposed to be released by regular retail at the end of February and the same with Crystal Crisis (at the end of May).

Banking on the April Concert there will be some more Persona announvements.

Atlus said 2019 will be the year that will determine the course of Persona

2. PA sent an email this morning saying both the Japan and Asia versions of DOAX3S support English, and pictures Switch box art
Nice! It's always great having more options on which version to import.

I might end up getting the Japanese version since it seems to be a few dollars cheaper.

Banking on the April Concert there will be some more Persona announvements.

Atlus said 2019 will be the year that will determine the course of Persona
They're going to make P5 on Swtich into a big thing of course.

I'd put money on Atlus re-releasing an enhanced edition of P5 on Swtich with a couple of new features and a few people will lose their minds.

I might end up getting the Japanese version since it seems to be a few dollars cheaper.
Another thing to keep in mind is the Asia version of DOAX3 got some content months after the Japan version. VR support and I think some sets for the photo shoot room. And I think there were a couple swimsuits that were exclusive to the Japan version; one from Famitsu magazine, and one from a DOA event.

I'm just wondering if anything carries over from Fortune to Scarlet. If so maybe one would want to get Scarlet from the same region as their copy of Fortune.

I'd put money on Atlus re-releasing an enhanced edition of P5 on Swtich with a couple of new features and a few people will lose their minds.
Fingers crossed they boost the cast count and give us a decently written character for once.

Here's what the email said:

Another thing to keep in mind is the Asia version of DOAX3 got some content months after the Japan version. VR support and I think some sets for the photo shoot room. And I think there were a couple swimsuits that were exclusive to the Japan version; one from Famitsu magazine, and one from a DOA event.
I'm just wondering if anything carries over from Fortune to Scarlet. If so maybe one would want to get Scarlet from the same region as their copy of Fortune.
Ergh... Play Asia now has a whole blog post talking about how the Asian release has English language support, but nothing about the Japanese version. Not sure what to make of that now.
https://www.play-asia.com/blog/2019/01/31/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-scarlet-english-support-for-asia-switch-version-confirmed/

Edit: PA tweeted:
Asian is confirmed, JP is likely.
https://twitter.com/playasia/status/1090526595289206785?s=21

The new girls are going to be added to the base DOAX3 Fortune as a paid add-on. That's still going to be the best version to have.

The new girls are going to be added to the base DOAX3 Fortune as a paid add-on. That's still going to be the best version to have.
damm so I'm going to have to buy an Asian region psn card for that. What's the better place and version card to buy? Hong Kong psn card? Korea?

Where did you read or hear this? I can't seem to find any news on this. I do believe the Switch version of Remilore is still supposed to be released by regular retail at the end of February and the same with Crystal Crisis (at the end of May).
No official announcement has been made. I read about it in two different Discord servers I belong to. Crystal Crisis is still scheduled to go retail. Remilore for PS4 was cancelled, but the Switch version still appears headed to retail. Perhaps their PS4 games will be sold on their site only? I know they have some Vita games coming soon which will most likely be sold on their site.

P5S is likely going to be the Switch version while P5R will be the enhanced version.

Yessss

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1091636106280529925

DyZFMwIXQAAEXiC.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjPVSF2dpUE

https://youtu.be/N8JE4-T-i0s

Dang taking my VN/Eroge release reporter. I'm a bit hurt....not really. Really should link some VNDB action though.

You did forget Deviant Dungeon as well. It looks like a Isekai nukige. Not really my style.

Steam (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Funbag fantasy is an excellent story driven Nukige type. I really enjoyed it a lot. The sequel is not as fun, but the first is really good. Serment looks OK, but is one of those get on sale ones. Buying 9-Nine. Looks high quality and interesting. Also has a free 18+ patch here on Denpasoft.

Some more news:

Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart is coming to Steam soon. Possible questionable translation which makes me really sad as this looks pretty good. May actually be translated okay though, we don't know. All I know is I may likely get it.

Website for the game

VNDB (NSFW)

Under One Wing is being released by Sol Press on February 15th. They do an excellent job and this will be a buy for me.

VNDB (NSFW)

I really don't like MMOs, but XIV has really been tempting me to try it.
FF XIV is incredible. You can play it for the story, art direction, and music while having minimal interaction with other players if you want to. The campaign is very long. There is a lot to like even for people that don't plan on staying with it as an MMORPG.

Any FF fan needs to try it.

FF XIV is incredible. You can play it for the story, art direction, and music while having minimal interaction with other players if you want to. The campaign is very long. There is a lot to like even for people that don't plan on staying with it as an MMORPG.

Any FF fan needs to try it.
I've heard the same thing, but I'm just not comfortable paying a monthly fee when I have so many other games to play. :???:

I've heard the same thing, but I'm just not comfortable paying a monthly fee when I have so many other games to play. :???:
This is exactly my feelings. I'm sure I'd honestly love the game but I have such a massive backlog that paying a monthly fee for the game is just too much

You get 30 days free playtime with purchase of the regular Complete Edition.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but honestly that is a very weak reason to not try it. 

FF14 is great. It was free until level 35 or something along those lines. Not sure if that's still the case, but if it is no reason not to try it.

I have played many MMORPGs since Everquest in my adult life.  The one notable thing about FF XIV that really stands out to me is that it is the ONLY MMO I have ever gone back to playing after quitting.

The soundtrack really is amazing too.  I want to get all five of those expensive blu-ray soundtracks off the Square Enix store eventually.  I just have the first one, Before Meteor and it is great.  It's ~6 hours long and has 104 tracks.

Here's one of the best themes in the game: Ultima Weapon boss fight.

https://youtu.be/hXrtICZyzNo?t=60

I started playing FFXIV about a week ago and have really enjoyed it so far. The free month is definitely enough time to figure out if you like the game or not. I mean I’m only a week in and can already say I’ll be paying monthly from here on out.

Also, one thing that helps is you can always cancel your subscription if you want to take a break and play other games for a while.

I've been wanting to get back into FFXI instead and replay the story (love CoP), but the monthly cost is the same for FFXIV.

Plus these games need a lot of hours.

you can always cancel your subscription if you want to take a break and play other games for a while.
This is exactly where I am at the moment. Hadn't played a mmo since ffxi but I really enjoyed the few months of ffxiv I played at the end of last year. Did pretty much everything I wanted to do and am now looking forward to coming back for a bit to play through the new content when it's released.

The game is up there with DQXI as the best things to come from SE recently. Although I have yet to play Nier:A, and I guess I should in order to appreciate the new raid content that was announced.

You get 30 days free playtime with purchase of the regular Complete Edition. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but honestly that is a very weak reason to not try it.
I certainly can understand not wanting to try it when they want your credit card number to play for that "free" time period.

I haven't played ffxiv since stormblood, but I'm definitely resubbing soon.  I really want to check out blue mage and the new content coming.

I always bought my time cards directly from the SE store to get points for them.  Anyone know if I still need to add that step since they merged all of their accounts?

I haven't played FFXIV since early in the first expansion, Heavensward, I believe it was.

It's a really good MMO, but it had several things I didn't like. Questing is highly repetitive and severely lacking in variety, even for MMO standards, and the amount of questing you need to do to hit max level was really high.

I also found raid bosses to be lackluster. I don't like when bosses are too scripted. As far as I can recall, every boss in FFXIV was a matter of memorization, rather than adaptation. You know exactly what move is coming up and when.

Classes themselves also felt pretty tepid. No class really felt anything more than generic, to me. Adding to that, the use of PvP only abilities, made participating in PvP on console not worth the trouble at all, due to the limitation of load-outs.

Lastly, I don't like the gear, weapon and stats systems. Classes can only equip one type of weapon and there's no real differences between them. Gear is extremely one-note, as secondary stats don't really matter and there's hardly any variety in stat distribution.

It is a beautiful game, though. The world is very nice to look at and the soundtrack is gorgeous. I still listen to several tracks just to chill out. I love the piano in the forest theme (can't remember the name of the zone... it was Black something or other). Character designs were all really cool and so was the actual lore. I also really liked the Fate encounters, although they felt overused after a while.

I'm glad I played it, and I actually want to own all the collector's editions for the game just because I enjoyed the world so much.

The thing that surprised me the most with XIV is just how good the story is. The writing and production values have also gone up significantly since 2.0, and they were already quite good for an MMO. I've fallen off the truck, so to speak, several times, but I do intend to get all caught up one of these days. 

The biggest thing for me is paying to play.  I dislike the practice of paying for the game and then having to pay regularly to continue to play something already I already paid for.  It's the main reason why most of my friends and I didn't play WoW.  I have no doubt that the game is good though, everything I've seen about it looks great.

That said, the new CE dark knight statue for XIV's new expansion looks friggin awesome.

The biggest thing for me is paying to play. I dislike the practice of paying for the game and then having to pay regularly to continue to play something already I already paid for. It's the main reason why most of my friends and I didn't play WoW. I have no doubt that the game is good though, everything I've seen about it looks great.

That said, the new CE dark knight statue for XIV's new expansion looks friggin awesome.
While I'm not a huge fan of that either (and I keep my sub cancelled unless I'm actively playing) the enormous amount of new content, changes, patches, balances, etc that we get (and I do mean outside of the full numbered expansions) is really impressive. Since I only sub for months that I know I'll really dig into it, it's basically really meaty DLC at a great value. And, while I'm always advocating for consumer > company, FFXIV simply could not be the game that it is and continue to get bigger and better like it has without the monthly sub cost. The thing is in a state of constant development and improvement, so it makes the money spent feel worthwhile in a way that $15 packs of bland MP maps or $5 fighting game characters don't.

Moral of the story: fuck Activision.

bread's done
Back