Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
While that is disappointing it isn't really surprising considering the recent developments with Sony. I'm not sure how to feel about this one personally. The things that are simply being changed don't really bother me, but I also hate missing content so losing cutscenes in their entirety is not cool.

There is no physical version for Xbox and Nicalis canceled the physical version for Playstation 4 for an unknown reason. People have tweeted and e-mailed them but they don't respond about it so no one knows why. The only physical version of the game is for Switch.
I believe I remember reading that of Nicalis' dual platform releases on Switch and PS4, the Switch versions outsold the PS4 versions by some absurd amount, which might explain why they are only releasing Switch versions of their titles through retail now. I still think they may sell the PS4 versions of their games on their website when they do eventually release the Vita physical releases they have coming. The rumor of course being that they will be selling the Vita titles on their website directly.

I believe I remember reading that of Nicalis' dual platform releases on Switch and PS4, the Switch versions outsold the PS4 versions by some absurd amount, which might explain why they are only releasing Switch versions of their titles through retail now. I still think they may sell the PS4 versions of their games on their website when they do eventually release the Vita physical releases they have coming. The rumor of course being that they will be selling the Vita titles on their website directly.
If so, that's a terrible precedent for sales projections going forward. It only happened bc people were thirsty as hell for new Switch games in the first year. So many of them bought the Binding of Isaac and Cave Story bc they were two of like 15 physical games on the retail shelf. You couldn't replicate that kind of sales figures in any future model if you tried.

If so, that's a terrible precedent for sales projections going forward. It only happened bc people were thirsty as hell for new Switch games in the first year. So many of them bought the Binding of Isaac and Cave Story bc there were two of like 15 physical games on the retail shelf. You couldn't replicate that kind of sales figures in any future model if you tried.
I think one of the titles that was mentioned in particular was Blade Strangers, which was released on both the Switch and PS4 at the same time. I am trying to remember where I read it (possibly Reddit?) but a Google search doesn't reveal anything so I could be totally off.

I think one of the titles that was mentioned in particular was Blade Strangers, which was released on both the Switch and PS4 at the same time. I am trying to remember where I read it (possibly Reddit?) but a Google search doesn't reveal anything so I could be totally off.
Some other interesting notes with that:

They released 3 different covers for the Switch version and only one for the PS4, and you know there are plenty of people that will double / triple dip. The Switch version showed up at several stores and remained available, while the PS4 version wasn't available in many places and rapidly disappeared. It looks to me like they created a situation where the PS4 version doesn't do well.

If so, that's a terrible precedent for sales projections going forward. It only happened bc people were thirsty as hell for new Switch games in the first year. So many of them bought the Binding of Isaac and Cave Story bc they were two of like 15 physical games on the retail shelf. You couldn't replicate that kind of sales figures in any future model if you tried.
I don't know, LRG just moved 30K copies of Celeste on Switch and almost every Switch release from the other limited companies sells far faster than the PS4 version if they are multiplatform. I like the PS4 a lot, but I'm seeing a lot of collectors go for the Switch version because you can play on the go or docked.

I know I choose Toejam and Earl on the Switch. Easier for local multiplayer IMHO, and I hope it's a cool game. I also am growing more fond of playing indies on the Switch. I'm still not quite used to the controls and prefer the pro controller to the 2 connected joy cons, but i'm getting more used to that strange design.

Some other interesting notes with that:

They released 3 different covers for the Switch version and only one for the PS4, and you know there are plenty of people that will double / triple dip. The Switch version showed up at several stores and remained available, while the PS4 version wasn't available in many places and rapidly disappeared. It looks to me like they created a situation where the PS4 version doesn't do well.
Interesting - I did not know they released 3 cover variants for the Switch version of Blade Strangers. Also, I think they short stocked the PS4 version at launch - but it does seem to be available now at Best Buy, Amazon and others.

I happened to check the Humble Neptunia bundle again, and while I'm not positive it wasn't there before, I think they added a 90% off coupon for 4 Goddesses Online. I don't usually advocate coupons in game bundles, myself, but I thought I'd point it out, at least, in case my shitty memory isn't playing tricks on me again.

I don't know, LRG just moved 30K copies of Celeste on Switch and almost every Switch release from the other limited companies sells far faster than the PS4 version if they are multiplatform. I like the PS4 a lot, but I'm seeing a lot of collectors go for the Switch version because you can play on the go or docked.
i thought collectors go for the switch/vita over ps4 because the games are on a proprietary cartridge that won't exsist beyond the console's life cycle which increases rarity. Where as Blu ray is a more universal format used for movies and available in blanks for purchase.

I don't know who Sachika is but I want to see her panties! Why are you denying me Sony?
i copy past game title found game easy with a link for steam version, going buy it their just to denounce the censorship an show support. even if they do censor pc version their always be a easy patch.

the girl in question has a flat chest so she looks like a child why their censoring it so heavy the concept of the game sounds really good they don't live more then 13 days and are clone again to repeat the cycle.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/819020/Zanki_Zero_Last_Beginning/

it has a few video their you can watch, they shows each character their voices English and a Japanese version an small bit of gameplay of basic concept of game.

personally i hate censorship of any kind if it's was ok to made and published for one part of the world it good for all parts, your not saving anyone child ( or adults who act like children ) by creating " safe " content. if they have access to a pc/internet they seen and watched a lot worse everyday. educate them, don't blind them and tell them don't look and burn anyone who does...

Where as Blu ray is a more universal format used for movies and available in blanks for purchase.
An interesting thought, but not accurate. Disc-based games have been around for a while, yet are still a popular format for collecting. While it is possible to replicate some of them with burn-able media, most collectors don't. Burn-able discs don't feature any original art, and don't come with the original cases or manuals. Going the burn-able or pirate route for discs is just to get the utility of playing rare games, it rarely ever effects the act of collecting. The obsession over collecting has far more to do with possession than it does with having the ability to play games. If all people cared about was playing the title, we would all just switch over to digital distribution. The advantages it provides toward those ends make it a far superior approach to playing games than physical media.

And on top of all of that, Blu-Ray burning has never caught on nearly as much as CD and DVD burning. Most people don't even have Blu-Ray drives for their computers.

Weekly VN News:

Sol Press released Harmorise's Under One Wing. It has something about a guy who goes to a academy and meets some girls for some fairy fights whatever those are. Looks high quality and am purchasing. Has a 1st week discount of 15% and an 18+ patch.

Steam

18+ Patch (NSFW)

Moenovel released If My Heart Had Wings -Flight Diary- . It's censored for French teens and is a fan disc to the original game, though I don't think it's traditional and has epilogues for all the original characters. I will get it eventually, but yeah not a huge fan of the original VN even restored. There is a 10% off for the first week too. If you own the original I believe you have a coupon code too making it cheaper.

Steam

The spinoff Dies irae ~Interview with Kaziklu Bey~ was released as well. It's supposed to be a fun spinoff following one of the characters.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

Jast has announced 2 new titles they're localizing. The first is Tomgirls of the Mountains from Nounai Kanojo. This is about a guy who is wandering in the mountains, goes through a tunnel and finds himself in a village full of traps, and i'm not talking about cages and stuff. This is not for me, but I've heard it's a high quality game.

VNDB (NSFW)

They also announced Mamono Musume - Life with a Lamia from Vanadis. This has a guy and he has a childhood crush and he ends up seeing her again and she is a lamia and wants to marry him. He isn't having it and she moves in with him to convince him to get with her. It looks cute enough and I like monster girls, so this is a buy. Also it's coming out Summer 2019

VNDB (NSFW)

I hope that Atlus brings over the original Utawarerumono remake when it's done. Kinda sad that I never really hear the two Utawarerumono games mentioned here as they're really good games.
I bought them during the year end PSN sale so will likely play at least one of them in 2019. Unless they do announce they are localizing the remake, then I would wait until that's out and play them in order. I tried to play the original with fan translation but the sex scenes just felt forced and unnecessary, turning me off from playing more than 8-10 hours or so.

I bought them during the year end PSN sale so will likely play at least one of them in 2019. Unless they do announce they are localizing the remake, then I would wait until that's out and play them in order. I tried to play the original with fan translation but the sex scenes just felt forced and unnecessary, turning me off from playing more than 8-10 hours or so.
Ah yeah, I remember trying the fan translated VN a bit after I saw the show over ten years ago. I quit the game because those scenes were excessive and unecessary along with the gameplay being rather bland. Warned people about it to watch the anime instead whenever I brought up the localized duology in past mentions from me. Well, here's hoping we see the remake gets localized. I learned a while ago that the person who translated (and/or edited) the duology doesn't work for Atlus currently. It's a shame since the duology they localized is one of the best translations I've seen when listening to the Japanese voice overs.

I'll support it, but If I remember correctly the gameplay looked extremely poor for Gun Gun pixies. It looked like a very low budget game, but you get to shoot big ladies.

D02YXhJVYAAtyTf.jpg

So basically what I’m seeing here is someone who was fired from Dreamworks tried to make a Loonatics Unleashed inspired take on a Redwall hedgehog.

An interesting thought, but not accurate. Disc-based games have been around for a while, yet are still a popular format for collecting. While it is possible to replicate some of them with burn-able media, most collectors don't. Burn-able discs don't feature any original art, and don't come with the original cases or manuals. Going the burn-able or pirate route for discs is just to get the utility of playing rare games, it rarely ever effects the act of collecting. The obsession over collecting has far more to do with possession than it does with having the ability to play games. If all people cared about was playing the title, we would all just switch over to digital distribution. The advantages it provides toward those ends make it a far superior approach to playing games than physical media.

And on top of all of that, Blu-Ray burning has never caught on nearly as much as CD and DVD burning. Most people don't even have Blu-Ray drives for their computers.
ok i agree, but there's also the fact because of discs being so popular that the companies still creating them exsist. So its possible a new official press of a disc based game can happen.
LRG is going to create new ps3 physical games (maybe for other disc based consoles too), as an example.
Where official snes and vita carts are no longer going to be possible ever since the factories are shut down.
There are newer fan created snes games getting made recently (like that fighter Holy Something), but they aren't officially licensed carts by Nintendo thou.

I feel bad but I always buy the Atelier games at $30 or lower. They blend together too well and I haven't really played them seriously since the PS3 entries.

So its possible a new official press of a disc based game can happen.
Yes, it is far more likely that PS4, or even PS3 titles could get re-prints. Cartridges are far more costly to re-produce, and getting official licensing for a legacy system would be extremely difficult. (not impossible, but certainly not likely) But that doesn't mean that those re-prints will happen, and there are still plenty of PS4 games that are fairly rare.

Scarcity isn't the only factor at play, and never has been. There are plenty of older games that have tons of stock, but still go for high prices because they come from a popular or desirable franchise. So the actual demand for any of these games is going to be far more than just scarcity, or the possibility of reproduction.

The primary factor for Vita titles current popularity is the impending discontinuation of the system. A truly legacy system is inherently more collectible. Also, the Vita has developed a fairly passionate niche fanbase over the years. The demand for the Switch is also obvious, as it is a good fit for many of the indie titles that LRG prints, and it allows people to play those titles at home or on the go. This was also a factor in selecting the Vita over the PS4, before the Switch came into the picture. I played through Persona 4 Golden on my Vita as well as my PSTV.

Hell yeah. Mine shipped from Best Buy today. I've been waiting ten years for this game. It's going to consume my weekend.

Who's ready for Devil May Cry 5 on Friday?
It's the most I've been excited for a game since... well January with KH3 actually lol. But having 2 games I am insanely hyped for releasing almost back to back never happens for me so I cherish the time.

Sadly though I waited too long to get a preorder for the deluxe edition at my local gamestop and I am too cheap to pay for day 1 shipping so I have to wait the 2-4 days for my online order to get to me. I know digital and all that, but I want DMC5 sitting on my game shelf in all its glory.

My Japanese copies of Ace Attorney Trilogy and that Mermaid VN came yesterday.

D1Bkg7WUYAEtjc0.jpg

Best thing besides them being physical copies (digital only on NA SUCKS), is that they were cheaper (or the same) as the NA digital prices. Mermaid VN was $20 and AA Trilogy was $30. Shipping wasn't free, but I did get some other non-gaming stuff so I didn't mind the cost there. Oh, and BTW I used Amazon JP.

I'm really glad these games were multi-language and that the Switch is region-free   :)

Edit: I wanted to use the Spoiler button tags to not flood the thread with a huge picture, but it's not working for some reason  :whistle2:k

D1Bkg7WUYAEtjc0.jpg

Best thing besides them being physical copies (digital only on NA SUCKS), is that they were cheaper (or the same) as the NA digital prices. Mermaid VN was $20 and AA Trilogy was $30. Shipping wasn't free, but I did get some other non-gaming stuff so I didn't mind the cost there. Oh, and BTW I used Amazon JP.

I'm really glad these games were multi-language and that the Switch is region-free :)

Edit: I wanted to use the Spoiler button tags to not flood the thread with a huge picture, but it's not working for some reason :whistle2:k
In the future, type [ spoiler ] at the start and [ / spoiler ] at the end, but without the spaces, and the spoiler tags should work (see your post I quoted).

D1Bkg7WUYAEtjc0.jpg

I'm really glad these games were multi-language and that the Switch is region-free :)

Edit: I wanted to use the Spoiler button tags to not flood the thread with a huge picture, but it's not working for some reason :whistle2:k
The PWAA collection has english? Getting a copy now

In the future, type [ spoiler ] at the start and [ / spoiler ] at the end, but without the spaces, and the spoiler tags should work (see your post I quoted).
I used those tags earlier today and it wasn't working for some reason, but just tried it now and it works haha

Anyways, thanks for the tip! ;)

I honestly love the gameplay, but totally agree the story is weak. It's not bad so much as it doesn't live up to the games it was compared to (Persona). It is pretty fun though.
It's pretty aight. I still haven't finished it but got through most of it. The story is extremely weak, but the game play itself is fun.

I have not read a single positive post on that game but that is the cheapest it has gone physical/digital
Okay well here's one. I liked it.

As nitro mentioned, the story isn't great unless you're really into paranormal anime cheese. I mainly enjoyed it due to the the characters & music. The ARPG battle gameplay is nothing special and obviously low-budget but decent enough (and way better than something like Kingdom Hearts).

Anyway fans of the Trails games (like me) will see a lot of similarities in the world, characters, music, etc.

bread's done
Back