Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend getting the Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ Limited Edition on Amazon for just under $50. The 9" statue that comes in the limited edition is pretty nice plus you get the game, artbook, a blade card deck and a soundtrack. Depends if you like trails and persona games. The music was good but the plot is a bit dull. However, I enjoyed the game.  

Take every anime trope you can think of and shove it into a Persona lite social sim with a not quite Ys combat system. I liked it.
This is a pretty accurate summary of the game and reminded me of a B tier Y's set in modern day. I had bought the EX+ edition when it was on clearance from Amazon for $65 and enjoyed it enough to beat it but put it down before starting the post game story. The figure is a solid quality figure and the rest is just icing on the trope cake.

I just saw on twitter it's Miku day. I started playing Future Tone again this past week. The Persona dancing games got me on a rhythm game kick. I bought Beat Saber yesterday. Maybe I'll play some more Bon Appetit.

Looks pretty decent for a Kickstarter game.
Let’s please not pretend this is a Kickstarter game, except insofar as devs used KS as an advertising platform these days. They had a publisher already before they even had a KS, they were just using the KS as a form of proof that there was an audience.

Sorry for the double post, but I was hoping someone could tell me about the game modes from Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 before I decide whether to go in on it. I don't do online MP for fighting games, so I spend most of my time with them on single player modes; and so I was wondering what those are like for GGXrdR2. I haven't played the GG series since XX^Core+, so I'm primarily curious on whether the story mode includes content from the previous Xrd incarnations, though any other information on 1P modes would be great.

I'm sad to find out that we're getting another Valkyrie Profile game... except that it's on Mobile.

It's called Valkyrie Anatomia and apparently it's a prequel to the original Valkyrie Profile.

Just finished the metric s*** ton of sidequests in smt4 and filled the stupid chalice.  I'm glad I am nearly finished with this game as it really wore out its welcome.  I would have cut out about 67% of this game since it's nothing but forced fetch quests, mark hunts and stuff.  The alternate dimension sections were especially stupid.  The game also suffers from old bad game design of not telling you what you need to do to advance and some of the sections like the white forest were obtuse.  I've had to pull up a guide numerous times after arriving in tokyo just because they couldn't be bothered to put up a proper map.  

The game reminded me alot of ff12 and to a lesser extent 13 with the plot pacing and the long gaps with no story at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldekuQ0BgYU&feature=youtu.be
It still amazes me that this game is getting made. I'm very skeptical it will be even mediocre, but that Yu Suzuki gets to make it all is pretty awesome.

What makes me somewhat disappointed/concerned are stories that Shenmue III does not finish the story. If Yu Suzuki leaves this thing on a cliffhanger after that many years, he's going to tick off a lot of people, even some of the diehard followers.

Hopefully, he puts a nice end to the story. I'm fine with leaving room for a sequel, but not a fan of not finishing this story. We've all waited long enough.

Don't Kingdom-Hearts this.

Best news!
No, it would be best news if it was by a better publisher. Hopefully they hire/contract the translator/editor that did the two sequels for Atlus since they're not currently employed by them. Though I'm glad we're getting it at all. Just sad it's NISA. However there are worse western publishers so I guess I should be relieved with that at least.

Unfortunately based on the tweet, there will be inconsistencies with names. On the bright side, anybody who starts with this and moves on to the two sequels, the translation will only get better.

[customspoiler='Announcement Trailer - Release 2020']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb2OlAHUz5I[/customspoiler]

No, it would be best news if it was by a better publisher. Hopefully they hire/contract the translator/editor that did the two sequels for Atlus since they're not currently employed by them. Though I'm glad we're getting it at all. Just sad it's NISA. However there are worse western publishers so I guess I should be relieved with that at least.

Unfortunately based on the tweet, there will be inconsistencies with names. On the bright side, anybody who starts with this and moves on to the two sequels, the translation will only get better.

[customspoiler='Announcement Trailer - Release 2020']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb2OlAHUz5I[/customspoiler]
The editor is still working for Atlus and won't be working on the new game

https://twitter.com/banquoviaquo/status/1105179764355031040

I'm fine with it. I've never had an issue with NISA. 

I just forgot about the game for awhile since it didn't seem like we were ever going to get it.

I'm just worried about inconsistencies, newly added bugs, improperly translated things that are far off the mark and memes when it comes to NISA.

I'm not too surprised to see the announcement for the localization this late though as it was released only about nine months ago or so in Japan. Though I thought it would've been released later this year instead of early 2020. I just hope they fixed the dialogue/pacing in the remake to make it on par with the Mask of Deception/Truth. The original game was pretty... poor in a lot of ways.

With it being a year away, I'm not sure if I wait on playing the sequels or not. I only have a vague recollection of the anime as I saw it a little over a decade ago but stuff will probably come to me as it's referenced. 

Hmm I bought the deception + truth bundle a few months ago.. might as well keep them on the back burner for now.

Which is fine considering any and all of my VN time is currently being (again) sucked into the steins gate singularity.

I wonder if this will come with the steelbook since GF usually ships first print cases in new condition (but in an envelope /cringe)
i asked on twitter and someone replied to me that they ordered kiwami 1 from gamefly & didn't get a steelbook. So it's very likely this won't have it.

well...most people are stupid....gamefly is rental company expecting the top of the line preorder retro active...ignorance is important with certain people spoiled people/terr

yay defeated lucifer.  Almost done with smt 4 I hope.  Put over 100 hours into it and I want it to be over by now.  maybe next year I will play p5 but certainly not for a long time.  I play 1 smt/persona/atlus title a year because of how tiring they can be.

yay defeated lucifer. Almost done with smt 4 I hope. Put over 100 hours into it and I want it to be over by now. maybe next year I will play p5 but certainly not for a long time. I play 1 smt/persona/atlus title a year because of how tiring they can be.
have you played nocturne? I played it earlier this year and it was awesome. hard, but not too hard

Shipment of Judgment in Japan has been halted, because one of the VAs got arrested for a drug charge. Who knows if this could affect Western release since it is features both English and Japanese voice acting.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Shipment of Judgment in Japan has been halted, because one of the VAs got arrested for a drug charge. Who knows if this could affect Western release since it is features both English and Japanese voice acting.

As other people on the web have pointed out, Japan's drug laws are a bit insane, and this fallout certainly is too. I also had absolutely no idea that there was English voice acting in Judgment. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Haha

This is pretty crazy because he's also the Japanese voice of Olaf on Frozen/Frozen 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3. What are SE and Disney going to do?

have you played nocturne? I played it earlier this year and it was awesome. hard, but not too hard
Yep I played nocturne years ago. I liked it minus matador who's well earned his reputation. I wanted to recruit dante and the final segment for his recruitment was too difficult with the running from him while activating switches nonsense.

Bravely Second: End Layer Collector's Edition
good 44.04
like new 49.04
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01AVS4IFS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&condition=used

yay defeated lucifer. Almost done with smt 4 I hope. Put over 100 hours into it and I want it to be over by now. maybe next year I will play p5 but certainly not for a long time. I play 1 smt/persona/atlus title a year because of how tiring they can be.
Surprised you made it that far. Couldn't make it past 20 or 30 hours after losing total interest. It's not a terrible game, it's just not a very engaging one. I hear Apocalypse is way better, but I never tried it. If you ever get around to playing P5 it'll at least be a more relaxing experience. There's no real frustration to be found outside of some particularly tedious late-game dungeon mechanics.

Nocturne is a high point for the PS2-era of Atlus games. Digital Devil Saga is probably still my favorite of the bunch.

Apocalypse has supposedly worse dungeons though I have heard.

And yeah I don't know why I kept going really.  I suppose mostly it was just something to play while I walk to work and whatever.

You play while walking? Seems risky.
It's not so long as I pay attention before crossing the street but there's very few crossings on the way so it's mostly just a long empty stretch of sidewalk. I live out in the boonies not a big city or anything.

I think they do that to match Walmart's "in store pickup discount" on certain items. At least in the past that's what they did.
It shows a coupon but it's not there when you go to the items main page though and there isn't a discount present.

[media]https://twitter.com/pjd_sega/status/1106389899618340869[/media]

Snow Miku 2018 & 2019 coming to Future Tone DX the 22nd

nah not worth the effort.  If they let you ng+ right before the law and chaos routes were set then maybe I would have considered it.

bread's done
Back