Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sega Fes is at the end of the month. There is also the Persona Concert next month where they will likely announce something else. As previously mentioned by ATLUS, 2019 will be the year that will determine the future course of Persona

Does anyone know when DLC add-ons are posted on the PS Store? The "Tale of a Timeless Tome" for Ni No Kuni 2 releases today but I see no sign of it on the PS Store

Does anyone know when DLC add-ons are posted on the PS Store? The "Tale of a Timeless Tome" for Ni No Kuni 2 releases today but I see no sign of it on the PS Store
The store technically updates at 11am EST, but I usually don't see anything new for at least 1-2 hours after that, so check back later.

For those that missed out on the P3D/P5D Vita deluxe edition w/4CD sale at Play-Asia last month, Amazon Japan has the set for 4196 yen (shipped by Amazon Japan).

Bought it on 3/15 for 3519 yen and it arrived today - very nice set. Comes with DLC in the package and additional DLC from Amazon Japan via email.

I spent more money at Amazon Japan this year than I have at Amazon US. Lol

SMT4 is imbalanced tedious trash. It's a damn busted mess of a game that we only tolerate because we expect JRPGs to be bad and grindy. It's borderline insulting to the players and a waste of some of the coolest concept art in vidya history.

Yes, I beat it twice and I hated every minute of it starting at about the boss fight with Minotaur. Yes I am very stupid.

Apocalypse is better in every conceivable way. Better smarter combat, better interface, way better bosses. The ONLY issue is that the last dungeon is about as long as every single dungeon before that in the game COMBINED and most of that length is giant football field empty rooms and a teleporter puzzle put together by that guy in Atlus's basement who hates every single one of us. And, OF COURSE the music is some ambient noise that loops in 15 seconds

Which is a shame because right at the end of that is a whiz-bang final boss throwdown to end all SMT final boss throwdowns. it's so good it almost makes up for the last 3 hours of awfulness.

SMT4 is imbalanced tedious trash. It's a damn busted mess of a game that we only tolerate because we expect JRPGs to be bad and grindy. It's borderline insulting to the players and a waste of some of the coolest concept art in vidya history.
That minotaur boss design was pretty dope.

For those that missed out on the P3D/P5D Vita deluxe edition w/4CD sale at Play-Asia last month, Amazon Japan has the set for 4196 yen (shipped by Amazon Japan).

Bought it on 3/15 for 3519 yen and it arrived today - very nice set. Comes with DLC in the package and additional DLC from Amazon Japan via email.

I spent more money at Amazon Japan this year than I have at Amazon US. Lol
Thanks a bunch. Been waiting on the deep discount on this. Plus it's the only way to get physical copies of the Vita version.

I guess my fears weren't warranted . Catherine is now available for pre-order on Best Buy (for the some of us that still got GCU):

Premium

Launch
I'm not one of those OMGSTEELBOOK people, but that is seriously one gorgeous case. Might pre-order just until I know for sure if it's not localized by California.

Even if SJWs tone things down, it's still the only version around. It's probably not coming to steam anytime soon since they said it was a Sony exclusive. I don't know if I'm willing to wait until 2021 for a steam update.

Hopefully Sega is big enough of a third party to not get bullied into censorship.

Crypt of the NecroDancer x Legend of Zelda cross-over is coming to the Switch called Cadence of Hyrule:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3fiwIdKhZw

Well, that's a buy from me. I wonder who will be doing the remixed Legend of Zelda tracks. Possibly Danny B since he retweeted it and was the composer for Crypt of the NecroDancer? His NecroDancer tracks were pretty good.

Play-Asia has some decent Weekly deals on Switch games. Prices are good 3/19 - 3/26:

Disgaea 1 Complete $21.99
Penny Punching Princess $24.99
SNK Heroines $16.99
Sine More $14.99
Fallen Legion: Rise of Glory $14.99
Legend of Kay:Anniversary. $17.99

Edit: Forgot to check region. All are Europe/PEGI rated.

Be sure to notice the region for some of those releases. I try to get NA region copies usually and passed on Disgaea 1 at least cause of that.

Guilty Gear 20th Anniversary edition from PQube is available on Play-Asia for preorder for $49.99. It was put up a number of days ago, but went out of stock, but appears to be available again.

https://www.play-asia.com/guilty-gear-20th-anniversary-edition/13/70cioj

Not sure what other retailers may have it available. I see an Asian release as well, but it's priced at $119.99.

https://www.play-asia.com/guilty-gear-20th-anniversary-edition-limited-edition-multi-langu/13/70clzj
Will the Japanese release have English support? Or does only the "Asian" version on PA have English language? I ask because it's cheaper on Amazon Japan as of this moment.

I just got my copy of JP Xtreme 3 for the switch.

Confirming English menu/subtitles.
Nice!

I held off on getting a copy since I was waiting to see if AmiAmi posted a Limited Edition on their eBay store (comes with a bonus item)

But it doesn't look like that's happening....and amazon jp doesn't have anymore LEs either (for Switch)

Maybe I'll just get the regular edition

I got the platinum trophies for all three Persona dancing games on PS4. Persona 4: Dancing All Night is my favorite, followed by Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight. I'm going by which songs I like best. Also, I think P4D has the best dance choreography.

The PSVR implementation for P3D and P5D is so weak. One of the things you can do in VR is the character model viewer. Each character has three still poses, and one dance loop that is maybe five seconds long. You can dress them in any of their cosmetics. The model gallery stage is basically a fighting game's "grid" training stage.

The only other thing you can do in VR is explore the characters' small rooms, and all there is to do is click on certain objects to see what the MC says about it. None of the characters are ever present for this. In my final round of room explorations I didn't even bother doing them in VR.

Still, I'm really enjoying these games. It makes want to play Persona 3 or Persona 4 again. I never played through Persona 3 Portable, so I might do that with FEMC. But there are several games I want to play right now.

Omg finally! I have been waiting for another season of Re:Zero forever.

I’m little confused what the Persona 5 Royal is though. Is it DLC or Persona 5 with extra content?

Some belated VN news:

First of all Lilycle Rainbow Stage!!! was released by Mangagamer. This is all ages and is on Steam.

Steam

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Mangagamer's next release will be Minori's Trinoline. It releases on 04/18/2019. All Ages version on Steam and 18+ on Mangagamer. Looks good and who knows it could one of the that last localized releases for Minori after going out of business. Easy buy and has a discount on Mangagamer.

Steam

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Sekai Project released VR VN Tokyo Chronos. This has a strange 7% off discount for about 42 more hours. Supposedly the story is decent but the graphics are a little funky.

Steam

Fiendish Magical Girl Rinne ~Loathsome Lewd Degeneration~ by Valkyria was officially released on DLsite. It's about some girl who is bullied who meets a magical creature and then uses those powers to inflict pain and suffering on her school mate. Not for me.

VNDB (NSFW)
DLsite (NSFW)

Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai aka a good librarian like a good shepard also had it's patch leaked. It's edited 100% and translated 100%. 

VNDB (NSFW)
reddit post with patch

Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists has some free Add-ons for two weeks.

The physical game will quickly plummet to $20-30 in a couple months, but PS4 owners can get the bonuses separately.

Theme with Arland characters

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4108-CUSA13085_00-UTH0000000007544

BGM Pack 1

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4108-CUSA13085_00-ATELIER20TH00008

Wilbell costume for Nelke

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4108-CUSA13085_00-ATELIER20TH00002

"Season Pass 0" 

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4108-CUSA13085_00-SEASONPASSPASS00

It's a town management simulator with Atelier characters in it.

E: The Switch version will likely sell out at $30, but PS4 hits $20. PC is 10% off at launch.

Got the dreaded "delayed item" email from BB on my preorder from two months ago. I'm assuming the item itself did not get delayed and its just Best Buy overselling or not getting enough in.
I'm getting it from Best Buy today I believe so yeah they oversold.

Got the dreaded "delayed item" email from BB on my preorder from two months ago. I'm assuming the item itself did not get delayed and its just Best Buy overselling or not getting enough in.
Weird, it is fully in-stock in my area right now. I ordered one when it popped up sporadically couple of days ago, estimate delivery date said April 1st but just got bumped up to tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Looks like all the BBY's and GS's around me received a single copy of Cold Steel: Decisive.  I grabbed a copy today since I have a friend letting me use his gcu.  The employee had to hunt for a while in the back but was able to find it - was in perfect condition and hadn't been locked in that horrible spider wrap yet.

That said, I bought the same game for the 4th? time now ha.  Steam will probably still be my preferred version but I wanted the collectibles and to support the series' NA releases.  Will probably just ebay the game disc unless someone here is interested.

Looks like all the BBY's and GS's around me received a single copy of Cold Steel: Decisive. I grabbed a copy today since I have a friend letting me use his gcu. The employee had to hunt for a while in the back but was able to find it - was in perfect condition and hadn't been locked in that horrible spider wrap yet.

That said, I bought the same game for the 4th? time now ha. Steam will probably still be my preferred version but I wanted the collectibles and to support the series' NA releases. Will probably just ebay the game disc unless someone here is interested.
Good on you for supporting this release!

Lots of stuff came out today. Haven't really kept up.

Princess Guide (NIS roguelike, not reviewing well)

Trails of Cold Steel, obviously

Final Fantasy VII on Switch

Danganronpa Trilogy on PS4

Nelke (Atelier)

Lots of stuff came out today. Haven't really kept up.

Princess Guide (NIS roguelike, not reviewing well)

Trails of Cold Steel, obviously

Final Fantasy VII on Switch

Danganronpa Trilogy on PS4

Nelke (Atelier)
Also Dragon Marked for Death on Switch, which looks brilliant.

I passed on Princess Guide since I just got Penny Punching Princess and it seems similar. I'll wait for price drops. Also passing on Yoshi's Crafted World as well. Too many games this month.

bread's done
Back