Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I play ffxiv in seasons. Considering resubbing for a couple months toward the end of the year to play the new expansion.

I ended up buying this left joycon replacement with d-pad, which is exactly 19.99 and qualifies for the promotion.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AJRN4CE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This mount is actually pretty glorious ingame. On land the fat chocobo runs due to having a bundle of gysahl greens dangled in front of it. When switching to flying, the greens become a piece of cake for extra motivation.
Cake? That's just mean. Sounds absolutely hilarious that it can fly though.

My backer copy of Bloodstained arrived yesterday. Looks a bit better than the demo did, but not by a whole lot. Game is pretty good so far, but I do hate one thing. You can't turn the low health indicator off and it's extremely intrusive/annoying. I wish there was an option to disable it or lower its graphical effect greatly.

[customspoiler='Bloodstained Launch Trailer']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi7Wzl3YHjU

Link to beginning of the actual game footage[/customspoiler]

I was playing Senran Kagura: Burst Re:Newal, but it wasn't really holding my interest. The story focuses on Hanzo Academy; my least favorite team. Crimson Squad is my overall favorite team, so maybe I'll get more into it when I start playing the story from their point of view. I know it's a re-telling of an earlier story, but it's still a bummer it has to go without some of my other favorites.

I ended up going back to Bloodborne. That game is awesome. I beat it over the weekend, then I started a fresh new game to do a platinum run. Now that I'm looking at a guide I see I missed some cool stuff. Hell, I completely missed the Old Hunters dlc.

That body pillow looks familiar...

cICbW5p.gif

I ended up going back to Bloodborne. That game is awesome. I beat it over the weekend, then I started a fresh new game to do a platinum run. Now that I'm looking at a guide I see I missed some cool stuff. Hell, I completely missed the Old Hunters dlc.
That game is incredible in every way. The DLC is the best thing FromSoft has ever made. It has a boss fight that I don't think will ever be topped.

The in game PS4 artbook was censored but in the product description it says they're sending out a digital version (probably a PDF) of the regular one. The LEs have been shipping separate with a standard copy of the game for a while now so I doubt there's any difference in the content of the two premium boxes. You even get the not-Steelbook if you get a Steam copy.

Since we're on the topic, someone blasted all the way through English Super Neptunia RPG on PS4 already and uploaded a video of the CG gallery. There appear to be no changes from the Japanese PS4 version on surface examination. The contrast on the images is a little high but that can be the result of the capture card used. Also of note is that the preorder poster image being shared as the "uncensored" version of the hot springs on the end was actually included and it only gets steamy when the little girl character shows up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIJ80lqzax0

That game is incredible in every way. The DLC is the best thing FromSoft has ever made. It has a boss fight that I don't think will ever be topped.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SVVUFXZ48g[/media]

Bet everyone can beat Ludwig cept DSP.

[media] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7fN7omaB7c [/media]

This guy also rage quit Persona 3 on Easy Difficulty with a shit Party Comp

Speaking of the Mana remakes, what's everyone's opinion of Adventures of Mana for the PS Vita?

I'm thinking about buying it as it's 50% off on the UK PSN Store.

Speaking of the Mana remakes, what's everyone's opinion of Adventures of Mana for the PS Vita?

Graphics aren't the best (looks like a budget mobile game), but the gameplay and performance are good. Unless you really, really care about the graphics it's a solid game.

It's pretty faithful to the original. That's not entirely a good thing as the gameplay is very dated at this point. I loved the Gameboy version, but going back to it now just wasn't something I much enjoyed. It doesn't hold your hand on where you're supposed to go or what you're supposed to do next, the combat is clumsy, and the screen by screen world exploration just feels tedious.

If you're still like playing old games, it's okay. I just don't have the patience to deal with that stuff anymore and ended up using a guide and map online to go from objective to objective rather than spending a ton of time wandering around cluelessly.

If you're still like playing old games, it's okay. I just don't have the patience to deal with that stuff anymore and ended up using a guide and map online to go from objective to objective rather than spending a ton of time wandering around cluelessly.
I didn't play Adventure but I did play Sword (the GBA remake) and the lack of any general direction on where to go half the time was my biggest problem with the game. Going in with the mindset that it is an old game with a lot of the annoyances old games have is a must.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SVVUFXZ48g[/media]

Bet everyone can beat Ludwig cept DSP.

[media] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7fN7omaB7c [/media]

This guy also rage quit Persona 3 on Easy Difficulty with a shit Party Comp
To be fair the final boss can be difficult due to a number of things. Even with a good party/mon set up. Especially if yukari or someone gets charmed and full heals the boss. Also what version? As if it is anything but p3p then yeah that makes it worse.

To be fair the final boss can be difficult due to a number of things. Even with a good party/mon set up. Especially if yukari or someone gets charmed and full heals the boss. Also what version? As if it is anything but p3p then yeah that makes it worse.
He played it on FES Easy.

This game is looking so damn impressive!
E3 Treehouse had 2 gameplay streams of it for anyone else that wants to see more. Also a 3 facts video where the director says the gameplay is something in-between Nier and Bayonetta which is an interesting quote.

But yeah this game is ticking all the right boxes for me, seriously can not wait for it.

I did not expect to see this trailer this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6jHR4pRxyA

Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories coming west for PS4, Switch, and PC in early 2020

Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories is coming to PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC in North America and Europe in early 2020, publisher NIS America announced. It will feature Japanese audio with English subtitles.
In addition to the standard edition, a limited edition including a copy of the game, novelty “First Aid” collector’s box, official soundtrack CD, identification tag, and novelty “Emergency” backpack will also be available.
https://nisamerica.com/disaster-report/

Preorder link not working yet: https://store.nisamerica.com/preorders/disaster-report-4-summer-memories

Oh very excited for Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories. I believe this one got pretty decent reviews too. These games are super unique though so that is an easy purchase.

Oh very excited for Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories. I believe this one got pretty decent reviews too. These games are super unique though so that is an easy purchase.
Agreed. Raw Danger is one of my most favorite underrated games. I just hope the MSRP isn't crazy--$39.99 would be nice though probably unlikely, but $59.99 seems too high IMO.

If you bought the Super Neptunia RPG preorder on Steam and haven't gone beyond the two hours, request a refund and buy it from Greenmangaming. They have a DLC bundle for the same discounted price after tax.

Does anyone here actually listen to the OST included with LE or CE versions? I have never, not even once, insert these discs into a CD player or computer.

I feel like they are a waste of money and are just there because they are cheap to print, and the publisher can just say they included a bonus. I would need to be convinced there is a high (forget high, how about moderate?) percentage of people actually using the OST at all.

Does anyone here actually listen to the OST included with LE or CE versions? I have never, not even once, insert these discs into a CD player or computer.
The Persona dancing edition from Japan has a 4-cd set that I often listen to in the car. I have also listened to the Xenoblade 2 and fire emblem warriors CD's, but I was done with them after two full listens. Other than that, I post the CDs on eBay right after opening the package.

I have a 2 hour roundtrip commute everyday for the past 2 years, so keep that in mind.

I feel like they are a waste of money and are just there because they are cheap to print, and the publisher can just say they included a bonus. I would need to be convinced there is a high (forget high, how about moderate?) percentage of people actually using the OST at all.
Yes.

JXV5BcZ.jpg

2 hour commute yowsa. Mine is close to that with 45 minutes each way. Sucks pretty bad. I used to listen to all the OSTs. One of my old favorites was the Lunar 2 Music CD and the Mana Khemia OST. I generally don't mess with anything in the LEs anymore. Not sure why I still get them now and then.

I still listen to the Eternal Poison pack-in soundtrack on occasion. Easily the most valuable part of that purchase.

I used to actually listen to the music straight from the CDs for CEs (Persona 4, Blazblue, FFXIII-2, Catherine, etc.) when I had to drive 2 hours to my college dorm.

Then I started just ripping the songs off the CDs and playing the files on my phone.

Nowadays the laptop I have doesn't even have a CD drive anymore, so I haven't actually listened to a CD in a long while.

The commute to work and school is pretty long though, so maybe I should be hip and get a CD player...

I tend to like when LE or CE versions come with CDs and will listen to them. A few years back some anime blu-ray sets were even including the OST on CD, which had been a nice addition. I still prefer physical goods like that over the digital "bonuses".

I don't listen to game music outside gaming, feels cheesey to me.
Sometimes for giggles I'll play a random game song if i get new audio equipment just to see how it sounds on the new stuff.

I rather get an artbook, i like looking and admiring the art in front of me in my hands over digital on a screen. Also a slick steelbook is nice.

Artbooks, Figures, and Steelbooks catches my attention. I wouldn't pay extra just for some music cds. I don't even have a drive for my computer to rip them. That said, I do listen to some tracks if they are good and from a good game, but usually I get them via other means (itunes, amazon, free remixes, ect).

I have 7 different Persona 'albums' on my phone right now. I listen to them regularly. Heck, I'm going to queue one up now. The original release of Persona 3 came with an art book and a 'sampler' CD. The CD was trash as it just made me want the whole songs (..duh, that's what it's supposed to do...) so I started collecting Persona albums.

As for actual CDs, I have a player in my car and a player in the bathroom Prince "The Hits 1" is in the car Linkin Park "Reanimation" is in the bathroom. Neither CD has been changed this year. (Mostly listen from my phone).

I wonder if Kill la Kill will be butchered with censorship on the PS4
exact reason i am not preordering this, seems as it might happen as the jp release is around the same time which might suggest sony made the company censor across all platforms and to release around the same time rather than the jp going first so as to not tip people off

Whenever I get a game that has a soundtrack cd included, the first thing I usually do is throw it in my old computer and rip the songs.

I got a cheap ipod touch a while back with 64GB and usually throw every song on earth into it. I leave bluetooth on and let it automatically connect to my car so stuff randomly plays. Whenever my friend is with me he always makes me play the Nier Automata soundtrack (good taste haha).

I'm a fan of non-LE soundtracks as well and I'd like to think I'm further supporting the series by getting them. Just recently I got the Fire Emblem Echoes, Xenoblade 2 and Fate Grand Order Soundtracks off amazon jp.

So that's one of the reasons I'm excited for the Kill la Kill LE. Censorship-wise, I have no idea if anything will be modified....I'm getting the Switch version, but recently that doesn't guarantee getting uncensored  :cry:  

Bloodborne isn't the first game I enjoyed so much that I played it back to back, but this is the first time that in the middle of a repeat playthrough I'm already thinking of how cool it would be to start the game from the beginning again. I can't believe I let this game sit in my back log for two and a half years.

I ended up buying the Dark Souls Trilogy release.

I haven't even gotten around to playing Bloodstained yet, and I was a (last minute) backer.

bread's done
Back