Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they'll just be expecting people to get a second job again...

Considering their current policies and apparent plans, it seems like this thread is going to become very Switch oriented in the coming years
agreed and with a new miku game coming next year for the switch, already seeing companies move away, that said i was never planning to get a ps5 cause of sonys ways and with news of them looking to buy/merge other studios to make them make games/censor all for them the industry will be suffering in the future

New MIKU game coming to Switch!

[media]https://youtu.be/TZMy7Fm0O8c[/media]
I think we all know what's next:

Og42TZM.jpg

Good thing Nintendo didn't go under or become a software-only developer like everybody wanted during the wiiu era
I'm only sad that they may be out of the handheld department. The switch is nice an all but it's not a handheld. Or at the very least it's not a very good portable system since you can't really take it and put it in your pocket easily.

If only sony wasn't so incompetent as I would kill for another psp/vita but without the idiotic proprietary memory.

I think it's awesome that Nintendo is focusing all of their resources on an all-in-one console.  Plus traditional handheld franchises like Fire Emblem are now finally getting the releases they deserve on the big screen.  

I'm only sad that they may be out of the handheld department. The switch is nice an all but it's not a handheld. Or at the very least it's not a very good portable system since you can't really take it and put it in your pocket easily.

If only sony wasn't so incompetent as I would kill for another psp/vita but without the idiotic proprietary memory.
Hoping the Switch mini is going to be a real thing, because as is I agree. The Switch isn't a replacement for the 3DS or Vita because it's simply too big and nowhere near as durable.

Love when people say things like put the joycons in one pocket and the system in another pocket.

I think it's awesome that Nintendo is focusing all of their resources on an all-in-one console. Plus traditional handheld franchises like Fire Emblem are now finally getting the releases they deserve on the big screen.
Fire emblem started on consoles and had console releases on the gamecube and wii.

Whether fire emblem will get anything out of being on the switch or not all depends on how much work nintendo is gonna put into it this time. I'm not expecting much voice work given all the other entries in the series. And fire emblem doesn't need big fancy graphics either really.

Hoping the Switch mini is going to be a real thing, because as is I agree. The Switch isn't a replacement for the 3DS or Vita because it's simply too big and nowhere near as durable.

Love when people say things like put the joycons in one pocket and the system in another pocket.
That's what I do but yeah unless you wear cargo pants you won't have pockets that could fit this device in them and it's certainly not a good solution.

Fire emblem started on consoles and had console releases on the gamecube and wii.

Whether fire emblem will get anything out of being on the switch or not all depends on how much work nintendo is gonna put into it this time. I'm not expecting much voice work given all the other entries in the series. And fire emblem doesn't need big fancy graphics either really.
Wasn't there complete voicework in Valencia?

Wasn't there complete voicework in Valencia?
It definitely had more. At least all of the main plot dialogue was fully voiced. It was a great improvement.

I absolutely hate the half-baked "reuse 5-10 audio bits" attempts. Playing through Fates for the first time right now and I cringe hard every time I hear the same fake sobbing or "I am _so_ sorry." I greatly prefer no voice at all compared to that.

Like a good tablet you put it in a case or sleeve and put it in your bag.

Like a good tablet you put it in a case or sleeve and put it in your bag.
Yeah I think the distinction for people is really pockets vs carrying case. I will say on a personal level the switch is as portable as anything else. I was a kid who carried around his gameboy inside one of those Pokemon carrying cases which were almost the same size as a basic switch carrying case anyway. My mom wouldn't let me carry it around in my pocket for fear of me destroying it somehow (which was totally smart given how clumsy I was as a kid.)

Yeah I think the distinction for people is really pockets vs carrying case. I will say on a personal level the switch is as portable as anything else. I was a kid who carried around his gameboy inside one of those Pokemon carrying cases which were almost the same size as a basic switch carrying case anyway. My mom wouldn't let me carry it around in my pocket for fear of me destroying it somehow (which was totally smart given how clumsy I was as a kid.)
agree with that, u can carry the switch around but a portable handheld is usually referred to something u can put in ur pocket even though the switch is just a larger version needing a backpack or something, well i expect actually leaks for the switch mini to pop up around sept with preorders going up the month after, i would assume they would also debut a pokemon related mini to boost sales but they also shoot for march when its a drier season of gaming to boost sales, i expect digital only too, would be funny if its more of an overpriced remote play type device that connects to ur switch at home with wifi

The classic clamshell design is still the gold standard for portable systems. There is a reason Nintendo went back to it time and again. The big issues with portables are protruding controls, and potential damage to the screen. The clamshell approach neatly solves both those issues. It conceals and protects the primary controls, while also keeping the screen pristine, and safe from keys, loose change, etc... The drawback of the clamshell is that it inherently makes the unit more complex to assemble, and more expensive to produce. There's also the problem of the hinge wearing out over time, or breaking.

The two handhelds usually held up as the best are the GameBoy Advance SP (preferably with the ultra-bright screen) and the DS Lite. Both of these were fantastic examples of portable design, and did their jobs well.

With the design of the Switch, it is unlikely that we will see another clamshell implementation. Even in a mini model, the screen will likely be too large to accommodate such a design. The Joycons are also a bit of an issue. They can't abandon the analog sticks without changing things up too much, but those analog sticks are not pocket-friendly, not at all. I'm not sure that built-in controls would be the way to go. 

Yup since we're talking about the Switch, I'm still waiting for a pro version, but it won't be leaving the house. I love my vita for PS4 remote play but the wifi antenna is totally shit and frequently lags in my bedroom. I'm in an old house built from concrete blocks (and railroad tracks for load bearing!!!) so that doesn't help.

My DS and 3DS, by comparison, went around the globe with me.

Just FYI, seems like Astral Chain LE (PAL) at Play-Asia is already unavailable. I have been refresh spamming it for a couple of weeks and it went from "Coming Soon" to "all pre orders allocated". Oh well, wasn't meant to be.

Unlikely. The LEs are usually store exclusive. EG: Best buy only has the game copy of TrailsCS3 for preorder.
Sometimes Best Buy gets a small allocation, and when the pre-orders sell through it disappears. Think this happened for Anima LE - A few others, but I don't remember which ones. I don't pay enough attention to know if it still happens though.

Sometimes Best Buy gets a small allocation, and when the pre-orders sell through it disappears. Think this happened for Anima LE - A few others, but I don't remember which ones. I don't pay enough attention to know if it still happens though.
The 2 I remember sold outside of NISA are Culdcept Revolt (sold at Fry's) and YS VIII (LE-lite sold on Amazon)

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OK, so what I missed from this thread, and speaking of Kill La Kill - IF, first things first.

ASW only mentioned about the LE lately, but no retailers yet, however, AX (Anime Expo) starts today into Sunday on the 7th, so, there could be info later on if they'll plan to bring out the LE into various retailers and hopefully not just their own online store.

Secondly, for people thinking the game will be messed around by Sony's double standards, the official website mentions this...(on the main page where the product information is right down below.)
JRdWc9s.png
So I'm assuming that all platforms will be treated equally and will leave it as it is. (Unless otherwise noted.)

Yup since we're talking about the Switch, I'm still waiting for a pro version, but it won't be leaving the house. I love my vita for PS4 remote play but the wifi antenna is totally shit and frequently lags in my bedroom. I'm in an old house built from concrete blocks (and railroad tracks for load bearing!!!) so that doesn't help.

My DS and 3DS, by comparison, went around the globe with me.
it might not be the antenna, i have both versions and the reception for the vita isnt very strong to begin with especially the 1000, would get terrible lag even 40ft away with little obstructions, if u do play remote alot getting a repeater might help you

Langrisser I & II LE up on NISA for ps4 and switch
Has there been any word or any differences between the versions out of Japan? I'd presume there's not content changes need on a game like this, but there's always the possibility that one system or the other got a bad port

Has there been any word or any differences between the versions out of Japan? I'd presume there's not content changes need on a game like this, but there's always the possibility that one system or the other got a bad port
Not that I know of, but then again, I don't follow related news regularly

Conception Plus...should be interesting.

It's Spike Chunsoft so don't expect a PC version with different content.

bread's done
Back