Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are weirdly missing the point. It's mainly released as a Pokemon console for multi-kid families. Pokemon has never been multiplayer on a single console, and doesn't require a huge screen.

For all other in tents and porpoises, just ignore the Lite.
Honestly, if someone busted out that Fisher-Price handheld in my middle school, they'd have been bullied, and they'd have deserved it.

Yeah, as someone who spends like 2/3 of the time in handheld mode, Switch Lite actually interests me. (Also, no joycons works well in my case since I dropped my original and the left joycon occasionally pops out which is annoying in handheld mode)

Of course I'd prefer getting the rumored Switch Pro. However, if the Pro doesn't end up happening, I'll probably get a Lite and leave my original in the dock at all times like some others have mentioned here as well.

You guys are weirdly missing the point. It's mainly released as a Pokemon console for multi-kid families. Pokemon has never been multiplayer on a single console, and doesn't require a huge screen.

For real lol. If Pokemon was not coming out this year I wouldn't expect the Lite either. There is already a Sword/Shield themed one that they are going to be selling when the game comes out.

I have no interest in the Lite as I am 50/50 on my Switch when it comes to tv vs. handheld but if I was going to get one it'd actually be the Pokemon one to be honest, the 3 colors they are going with for the normal versions are all ugly as sin.

Watch the Switch Pro be TV mode only. No joycon, just a pro controller.
So Mario Odyssey couldn't be played in its entirety on either new model, since motion controls would be out? There are certain moves that can't be done with buttons, right?

So Mario Odyssey couldn't be played in its entirety on either new model, since motion controls would be out? There are certain moves that can't be done with buttons, right?
Wait, I'm pretty sure I played it with the Pro Controller just fine?

Edit: Downwards throw is button only, but still doable.

But two-hundo a pop is still a stretch. $150 would be tolerable and $100 insta-buy. But maybe I just have one too many kid. (3 x $200 = $600 is a no go!) Hope someone enjoys it but...

tenor.gif

Nintendo DS launched at $149.99, or ~$203 in 2019 dollars. The 3DS launched in 2011 for $250, or ~$285 now. It dropped in price to $170, or $193.54 now.

It's on the slightly higher side, but it's in the realm of what it should be. They'll probably do a $200 bundle with a digital copy of Pokemon for Christmas.

I feel that most people complaining about the price aren’t actually interested in a switch anyways. $200 is right in line with a 3DS or Vita. I get that the 2 year old Switch has been available for ~$250, but in 2 years this lite version will have its sales too.

As for all the complaints about the missing features (like HDMI out), this isn’t marketed for you. It’s a different product meant to be a handheld console. If they included HDMI out then there would be little reason to be an actual switch.

Why can’t people be happy about options instead of complaining about everything?

All I'm saying is that if Nintendo put GPS trackers on their Switch Lites, the police could save a fortune on sex offender monitoring costs.

I feel that most people complaining about the price aren’t actually interested in a switch anyways. $200 is right in line with a 3DS or Vita. I get that the 2 year old Switch has been available for ~$250, but in 2 years this lite version will have its sales too.

As for all the complaints about the missing features (like HDMI out), this isn’t marketed for you. It’s a different product meant to be a handheld console. If they included HDMI out then there would be little reason to be an actual switch.

Why can’t people be happy about options instead of complaining about everything?
Sometimes I wonder if people who defend Nintendo are either delusional fanboys or simply hoodwinked by the marketing.

Listen, $50 tablet devices have HDMI ports nowadays. Whatever savings Nintendo made on the removal of that feature couldn't be the reason for the removal. The technical barriers, which some have spoken about here, do make more sense, but even then, Nintendo could easily have enhanced the chip to take care of that extra power because the system is larger without the detachable joycons.

The reason of course Nintendo did it was to make more money on these. That all said, this just screams more and more of a lazy upgrade. Like Nintendo R&D went in a room, and asked themselves, how can we take out as many features as possible, make more money, and still get our idiot defenders to stand by us?

The result is the Switch Lite. From a business perspective, sure, this will sell and do the job. From a gamer's perspective, this seems more along the lines of doing the bare minimum to sell machines this holiday.

Hopefully, the next several upgrades (and you know there will be many to come) will lead to a better and improved Switch lite.

And lastly, as I've mentioned elsewhere, only Nintendo's defenders would stand by as the company's follow-up device drops the very KEY feature - the hybrid portable-home console - that the company used to brand the device. Go figure. Last I checked the whole reason this console was called the SWITCH was because it could do both (and seriously, don't point to those other ludicrous scenarios Nintendo tried to distinguish as more ways to "switch" the way one games).

I like Nintendo and love Zelda games (check my posts on the Nintendo boards, though yeah, wasn't a fan of BOTW) - was even there for the Gamecube and Wii U - but I'll call a move a lazy-ass job when I see one. This is one. Maybe not quite Star-Fox-Zero-lazy, but it sure is close.

well there are the stadium games, colosseum and gale of darkness xd that had multiplayer modes.

I like the Switch Lite, it addresses a lot of the gripes that I had with the original Switch. Since my wife and I both use the Switch currently, I'll probably buy a new one so that we can each play Pokemon without having to share one console later in the year.
Note to play pokemon you will have to buy the controllers since the lite cannot play without them idiotically.

In for the turquoise Lite. I'll just pretend my current Switch is a console without a screen.
It sounded like he said tacos there in the video XD Yellow, grey and tacos.

Nintendo DS launched at $149.99, or ~$203 in 2019 dollars. The 3DS launched in 2011 for $250, or ~$285 now. It dropped in price to $170, or $193.54 now.

It's on the slightly higher side, but it's in the realm of what it should be. They'll probably do a $200 bundle with a digital copy of Pokemon for Christmas.
new 2ds/xls and such go for under 150. Not sure where you are getting 170 from.

I think you were not reading the comments made thus far. It's not small enough to work as a proper handheld still and the non removeable joy cons actually make it worse portability wise. For the regular switch you could take those off and at least fit it inside average cargo pants. But anyway many of us already have switches and even if we didn't why would the very minor price difference in this portable version make anyone holding out interested?

People would have preferred an actual handheld with the clam shell or some type of fold over design with better battery life that could actually fit in a pocket.

I like the switch but it definitely has problems that needed addressing.

Note to play pokemon you will have to buy the controllers since the lite cannot play without them idiotically.
I've been sitting here like a full minute trying to figure out what you're trying to say here. What exactly does them wanting to be able to play Pokemon at the same on 2 different consoles have to do with buying another controller? Sword/Shield and Let's Go will be able to run on the Lite as is, no accessories needed.

Sometimes I wonder if people who defend Nintendo are either delusional fanboys or simply hoodwinked by the marketing.

Listen, $50 tablet devices have HDMI ports nowadays. Whatever savings Nintendo made on the removal of that feature couldn't be the reason for the removal. The technical barriers, which some have spoken about here, do make more sense, but even then, Nintendo could easily have enhanced the chip to take care of that extra power because the system is larger without the detachable joycons.

The reason of course Nintendo did it was to make more money on these. That all said, this just screams more and more of a lazy upgrade. Like Nintendo R&D went in a room, and asked themselves, how can we take out as many features as possible, make more money, and still get our idiot defenders to stand by us?

The result is the Switch Lite. From a business perspective, sure, this will sell and do the job. From a gamer's perspective, this seems more along the lines of doing the bare minimum to sell machines this holiday.

Hopefully, the next several upgrades (and you know there will be many to come) will lead to a better and improved Switch lite.

And lastly, as I've mentioned elsewhere, only Nintendo's defenders would stand by as the company's follow-up device drops the very KEY feature - the hybrid portable-home console - that the company used to brand the device. Go figure.

I like Nintendo - was even there for the Gamecube and Wii U - but I'll call a move a lazy-ass job when I see one. This is one. Maybe not quite Star-Fox-Zero-lazy, but it sure is close.
I guess that’s always the defense around here. Someone says something good about a product and you’re a fanboy.

You’re one of the people missing the point of the Switch Lite. It’s not an upgrade, it’s an alternate device to play switch games at $100 less. Its marketed as a smaller, strictly handheld device. Great for kids or those that might travel with their switch. If you already have a switch and are happy with it, it’s not for you.

Not sure what you mean, the trailer showed it playing multiple times without an external controller. Did I miss something specific to Pokemon?
I wasn't specific enough. I was referring to pikachu and eevee which last I recall require motion controls for the catching mechanics. Unless the switch itself still has the motion stuff in it just not the unremovable joycons?

I wasn't specific enough. I was referring to pikachu and eevee which last I recall require motion controls for the catching mechanics. Unless the switch itself still has the motion stuff in it just not the unremovable joycons?
Oh, gotcha. Yeah, those aren't the Pokemon games I was referring to, I meant Sword and Shield (which will hopefully be less gimmicky).

I guess that’s always the defense around here. Someone says something good about a product and you’re a fanboy.

You’re one of the people missing the point of the Switch Lite. It’s not an upgrade, it’s an alternate device to play switch games at $100 less. Its marketed as a smaller, strictly handheld device. Great for kids or those that might travel with their switch. If you already have a switch and are happy with it, it’s not for you.
Were you not the one to say anyone that isn't interested in it isn't interested in the switch anyway? And again it's not 100$ cheaper. More like 40-70.

The motion control in Pikachu and Eevee is completely optional. Played it fine in portable mode on my switch so it’ll play fine on the Lite.

I understand the concept behind the the Lite. All I'm saying is that there is no rationale reason to defend every one of Nintendo's decisions with this follow-up device, and that there is no reason to criticize others who are complaining about several of the choices Nintendo made in putting this thing together.

The form factor is hardly changed; the battery life improvement is miniscule; the HDMI port (again) is missing with no software solution; the screen is of lower quality. Some of these choices seem strange for what is designed to be a portable-only device.

Anyways, my point is just that Nintendo is just as guilty as Sony and MS of making s&#t-hole decisions, and for some reason, since the Wii U, it seems people are blinded by everything Nintendo is doing as being "generous" and "truly for the gamer." This company makes some terrible decisions now and then, and while I'm sure Lite will sell like gangbusters because .... well, Pokemon, I don't agree that it's because the Lite is well designed.

Again, it's a lazy-ass follow-up that does the bare minimum, and on nearly every change, the adjustment was so Nintendo could make even more money. That's business of course, but Nintendo could have made a little less and offered its gamers a little more -- knowing a bit about chipsets, they could have lost a dollar and kept the HDMI port with a minor enhancment of the Tegra.

The motion control in Pikachu and Eevee is completely optional. Played it fine in portable mode on my switch so it’ll play fine on the Lite.
You use the motion controls and such whether docked or not. Didn't you notice when you have to aim the switch AT the pokemon and move it around to see them? Wasn't talking about using the joy cons to throw the pokeball.

Unless the switch itself still has the motion stuff in it just not the unremovable joycons?
Nintendo posted specs for the Lite already, it has the gyro/accelerometer built into the console itself. Shouldn't be too surprising since that is pretty standard in almost any electronic device these days. What it doesn't have is the IR motion camera but I think there are less than 5 games on the Switch that even make use of that in some way (actually tried to google because I was curious and I could only find 3 games total.)

Does anyone know the difference between ACA Neogeo The Last Blade 2 and The Last Blade 2 on the PSN? I mean, the latter is crossplay, but otherwise I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be. Are they different ports? Ports of different versions?

I tried googling, but a quick search isn't turning up much in the way of relevant results.
From what I've seen in some searching, they appear to be ports of the same game done by different companies. Personally I like the boarders on the older version (not sure if they are available in the later version), but I've heard positive things about ACA's ports. I couldn't find a review of the ACA release on PS4, but Switch reviews seemed positive. A giantbomb review of the older version mentioned some issues, so maybe go with the ACA version...

From what I've seen in some searching, they appear to be ports of the same game done by different companies. Personally I like the boarders on the older version (not sure if they are available in the later version), but I've heard positive things about ACA's ports. I couldn't find a review of the ACA release on PS4, but Switch reviews seemed positive. A giantbomb review of the older version mentioned some issues, so maybe go with the ACA version...
https://www.resetera.com/threads/neo-geo-face-off-code-mystics-ports-ps4-vita-vs-hamster-aca-releases.17328/ has a good breakdown

I had a few game pickups this week with Gamestop's summer sale and some new releases. When I went to register my copy of Umihara Kawase Fresh it said it was unavailable on the eshop and sure enough there isn't a page for it despite launching on Tuesday. It might end up being a limited release.

I know it's not game related, but the first trailer for Lupin III The First just came out and it looks pretty damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw7jrQQK3Mc

Looks like they nailed the transition to 3D.

Thanks. The sale and the fact that I've got a Vita TV and a PS4 make the Code Mystics version pretty tempting, but if there are actual emulation issues in there, that's a pretty steep downside for an SNK fighter. You say you like the borders on the older version—have you tried it? If so, what was your take on the issues that Giantbomb review brought up?

Thanks. The sale and the fact that I've got a Vita TV and a PS4 make the Code Mystics version pretty tempting, but if there are actual emulation issues in there, that's a pretty steep downside for an SNK fighter. You say you like the borders on the older version—have you tried it? If so, what was your take on the issues that Giantbomb review brought up?
Sorry, no I haven't, just basing that on the screen shots lol

This one is crossbuy with Vita, has online play, and has bonus artwork to look at from the stuff I remember. Pretty sure the ACA version won't have any of that, since they are straight arcade ports I believe? I'm sure online play is dead by now though. You could also severely reduce the health of your opponent after a loss in story mode, which is nice for people that really suck at fighting games I guess.

Oh it used to crash sometimes in a stage that had fire in it but that got patched out.

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1147559587043667969

Digimon Cyber Sleuth 2 pack coming to Switch

If you didn't get to snag a PS4 copy for like $5, now you can wait for the Switch copies to get down to like $5
And PC! Sweet! Never got around to finishing it on vita. Hope it allows higher than 1080p resolution.

Majikoi 500 copy limited physical edition on J-list for $79.99 plus shipping i'm guessing.

Link (NSFW)

Eiyu*Senki GOLD
Big news for me. Really like the original Eiyu Senki and people have been asking for GOLD for a long time.

bread's done
Back