Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
In case anyone doesn't know YS 8 all physicals seem to have limited quantities so don't sleep on physicals for a good price if you want them.

I regret giving Edelgard the dancer class.  Totally wasted on her.  I should have given it to Felix or Petra since they are sword users which would be better suited to the class.

Anyone here play Fate Grand Order? Finally decided to play the mobile game again last month. Still got shitty gatcha luck like I did in Bandori and Love Live. Lol

Rolled twice. Didnt get shit. Just gunna save now for Musashi and Hokusai. Really want Lancer Raikou though. Rip.

Did ticket rolling and 3rd ticket got me Enkidu. Guess thats where my luck went
I haven't been lucky with pulls for a few months, but I managed to pull maid alter with my last 30 sq. Pretty freaking happy since shes one that I've been waiting for. I likely won't be getting anything good for a while now.

Rolled twice. Didnt get shit. Just gunna save now for Musashi and Hokusai. Really want Lancer Raikou though. Rip.

Did ticket rolling and 3rd ticket got me Enkidu. Guess thats where my luck went
Spent about 250 quartz and 40 tickets and didn't get a single Summer servant. Really wanted Umu Caster, but I'm not throwing more quartz at that cursed banner. Need to save the rest of my 300 quartz to hopefully get my own copy of Merlin next month. Been playing for a year now, and the one thing I've been getting constantly is Lancers. Have Scat, Titoria, NP2 Karna, Tama Lancer and got Enkidu from GSSR last month.

Here's my ID if anyone wants to add me. Just deleted a few people who haven't logged in

276 281 364

Here's my ID if anyone wants to add me. Just deleted a few people who haven't logged in

276 281 364
Just sent a request, my Master name is ユキ.

Haven't rolled in FGO NA for months, so I had a bunch of quartz saved up. Saved them for the Maid SAlter banner and was lucky enough to get her. Slowly going through the event, man it has a lot of dialogue...(plus playing a bunch of other mobile games as well :( )

Also, 35 hours into Fire Emblem and I still haven't gotten to the timeskip yet...I'm really trying to level up everyone's support rank as soon as possible and recruit other members into my house. Been enjoying it so much, will likely be my game of the year.

Best Buy is a no-brainer IMO: https://gematsu.com/2019/08/shenmue-iii-north-american-pre-order-bonuses-announced

Shenmue-III_2019_08-07-19_002.jpg

Shenmue-III_2019_08-07-19_003.jpg

Shenmue-III_2019_08-07-19_004.jpg

Spent about 250 quartz and 40 tickets and didn't get a single Summer servant. Really wanted Umu Caster, but I'm not throwing more quartz at that cursed banner. Need to save the rest of my 300 quartz to hopefully get my own copy of Merlin next month. Been playing for a year now, and the one thing I've been getting constantly is Lancers. Have Scat, Titoria, NP2 Karna, Tama Lancer and got Enkidu from GSSR last month.

276 281 364
Sent you a request. Let me know if anyone else wants to be added as well!

Kinda disappointed that Mary Skelter 2 is digital-only, but I guess we should be glad it's releasing over here at all. Plus, having a remastered copy of the original game included is pretty neat. I'll likely pick it up.

I'll add those that posted later when I get a chance.

My fgo ID is 781, 125, 403 if anyone wants to add.

So are the Shenmue backers getting any of that stuff..?
I'm guessing no. I'm so done with Kickstarters for video games. We got the game made so we should be getting the best stuff with the physical game and regular retail should be getting the base game, not the other way around.

Sorry, I think we did get an exclusive cover or something (I forget). Awesome.

Kickstarters for video games are OK, but I've burned at least 3 times now. Maybe these games I backed will be delivered after 5+ years right?

Well I did shell out extra to get my name in the credits, so I guess I'll have to be happy with that.

But I actually want the mirror more than the steel book.

I have ended up on the edelgards route for three houses.  I kept a save before the church route though so I can go back.  Will probably be faster than starting over for that particular route.  I don't feel like they really justified the player picking this route writing wise.  Just doesn't seem like there was enough story stuff to have you on this route.  Not that I feel the church route didn't have it's own problems.

Pfft Black eagle strike force.  :D  and Ed spent all night thinking up that name.  She is just a cute girl under all that huff and puff.

Kickstarters for video games are OK, but I've burned at least 3 times now. Maybe these games I backed will be delivered after 5+ years right?
Only backed Muv Luv.

Did donate $1 for Grisaia for that possible Vita port. And we all know how Sekai Project handled and fked that one up.

Kind of shoot myself in the foot for not recruiting a lot of people before time skip. When it first hit, my tank disappeared due to the storyline, boy, did I struggled.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I have ended up on the edelgards route for three houses. I kept a save before the church route though so I can go back. Will probably be faster than starting over for that particular route. I don't feel like they really justified the player picking this route writing wise. Just doesn't seem like there was enough story stuff to have you on this route. Not that I feel the church route didn't have it's own problems.
Agree. I ended up going down the same route due to playing without a guide and..

..not wanting to have one of my best units taken away. I guess I lost Flayn but at least I hadn't been developing her all game like I had for El.

As for the story, I guess that's the problem with offering 4-5 options. It's interesting but at the same time none of the plots are as polished and developed a single "true" story would be.

I'm still enjoying the game.. it's just not perfect. The best parts for me are the battle system alongside the detailed character building and customization (without the babymaking / inheritance systems). The social aspects / monastery hub is just boring to me and mainly just reminds me of the games they borrowed from that did it better (P3-5, ToCS1). Oh and load times. I hate the load times.

I was doing the same thing and keeping a save before the story branches.. only to later accidentally write over the save slot. :wall: Being restricted in save slots is something I detest in any game.. but being limited to 5 in such a branching game is miserable.

Fortunately, all the ones I've backed were released within a year or so after the campaign ended. It seems the indie projects by nearly unknown companies are often quicker to please their backers and actually get the games out.

Agree. I ended up going down the same route due to playing without a guide and..

..not wanting to have one of my best units taken away. I guess I lost Flayn but at least I hadn't been developing her all game like I had for El.

As for the story, I guess that's the problem with offering 4-5 options. It's interesting but at the same time none of the plots are as polished and developed a single "true" story would be.

I'm still enjoying the game.. it's just not perfect. The best parts for me are the battle system alongside the detailed character building and customization (without the babymaking / inheritance systems). The social aspects / monastery hub is just boring to me and mainly just reminds me of the games they borrowed from that did it better (P3-5, ToCS1). Oh and load times. I hate the load times.

I was doing the same thing and keeping a save before the story branches.. only to later accidentally write over the save slot. :wall: Being restricted in save slots is something I detest in any game.. but being limited to 5 in such a branching game is miserable.
yeppers. That is wby I made three saves so even if I save over the second I will have the third.

Double agreement on the awful load times. What even justifies that in the first place?

I have ended up on the edelgards route for three houses. I kept a save before the church route though so I can go back. Will probably be faster than starting over for that particular route. I don't feel like they really justified the player picking this route writing wise. Just doesn't seem like there was enough story stuff to have you on this route. Not that I feel the church route didn't have it's own problems.

Pfft Black eagle strike force. :D and Ed spent all night thinking up that name. She is just a cute girl under all that huff and puff.
El is adorable in her route, other routes not so much, Byleth really is the moral anchor for her.

i mean the main branching is literally in the beginning of the game, NG+ is pretty fun for other routes.

tokyo xanadu ex+ is 8.99 on fanatical.  Pretty tempting.  If it was that price on psn I would probably bite since I have extra psn credit.

Been very busy lately in moving and setting up but there has some been some good VN releases and will be some more very soon. Likely will give that news this weekend.

finished chapter 16 for fire emblem 3h.  Cornelia and the other boss on the map had like no development/prior mentioning at all.  Only the one guy fralderius was encountered on Felix paralogue map back in part 1.

finished chapter 16 for fire emblem 3h. Cornelia and the other boss on the map had like no development/prior mentioning at all. Only the one guy fralderius was encountered on Felix paralogue map back in part 1.
Yes sadly there's a number of character development and plot elements that were lacking in my first (Edelgard) playthough. It's probably just not a very good choice to play first. Maybe they should have kept the option exclusive to ng+. I've casually started a ng+ Golden Deer path and am appreciating it more so far. Also I somehow overlooked Leonie on my first playthough.. after adding a pegasus and her alternate character model she's my top character.

I was hoping for $30 for the Grandia collection. I may just get it since I loved Grandia 1 back in the day and Grandia 2 was decent enough as well. Not the most special upgrades for 1 though I believe.

I was hoping for $30 as well, but will probably grab it anyway. I would love to see a Lunar 1-2 collection in the future, but not sure how possible that is if the rights are divided.  

bread's done
Back