Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Grandia I really wanted a physical release, bummer
It's pretty commonplace anymore for physical releases to be a few months behind the digital release. I don't know if it's intentional to get people to double dip or if manufacturing lead times just make it work out that way, but either way if you're interested in one I'd hold off for now. Worst case scenario you can still find a sale for the digital version.

It's pretty commonplace anymore for physical releases to be a few months behind the digital release. I don't know if it's intentional to get people to double dip or if manufacturing lead times just make it work out that way, but either way if you're interested in one I'd hold off for now. Worst case scenario you can still find a sale for the digital version.
I've been excited for the Collection of Mana physical release. That was the one title on my radar in August after Three Houses in July.

There is so much stuff that I'm trying to focus on just the essentials. Like ToCS 3 LE is down to < 5% stock remaining.

Been tempted to buy that Dragon Quest slime Switch controller pro on Amazon.jp too!

Yes sadly there's a number of character development and plot elements that were lacking in my first (Edelgard) playthough. It's probably just not a very good choice to play first. Maybe they should have kept the option exclusive to ng+. I've casually started a ng+ Golden Deer path and am appreciating it more so far. Also I somehow overlooked Leonie on my first playthough.. after adding a pegasus and her alternate character model she's my top character.
Nah it sounds like plot stuffles is just dropped all over the place in all the routes with slight tweaks to characters so that whoever is with byleth is sane while everyone else loses their mind and goes completely batshit axe murderer crazy. I also didn't feel like they justified the time skip. Especially when nothing of worth happens during it so they might as well have not bothered.

Of the routes I'm not really interested in even doing the church route now after finishing the game. If I did do it I'd probably play on perma death mode and let all the church characters I could die because I just don't like any of them. Golden deer definitely sounds like the most interesting route to play but it has some of the worst units minus Lysithea which was the reason I passed on them initially.

I finished fire emblem three bathhouses today.  it was my 15th game this year which is not bad. Almost 2 a month. Thinking of under water ray romano mask of deception as my next game.  But since that's on my ps4 I would continue fire emblem as a portable game for when I am on my way to work/at work possibly.  As its either that or continue ff4 after years that I started while waiting for fire emblem last month since I finished ff15 a week earlier than I had planned.

I finished fire emblem three bathhouses today. it was my 15th game this year which is not bad. Almost 2 a month. Thinking of under water ray romano mask of deception as my next game. But since that's on my ps4 I would continue fire emblem as a portable game for when I am on my way to work/at work possibly. As its either that or continue ff4 after years that I started while waiting for fire emblem last month since I finished ff15 a week earlier than I had planned.
Not sure if cheeky or speech to text... Lmao

Sent from my Razer Phone 2 using Tapatalk

It was on purpose.  I quite enjoy coming up with parody names for it.

It took me a moment to recognize what your avatar is from.  Man that takes me back.  I haven't thought about Char Aznable in probably two decades.  Or his more famous name quatro vagina. 

I finished fire emblem three bathhouses today. it was my 15th game this year which is not bad. Almost 2 a month. Thinking of under water ray romano mask of deception as my next game. But since that's on my ps4 I would continue fire emblem as a portable game for when I am on my way to work/at work possibly. As its either that or continue ff4 after years that I started while waiting for fire emblem last month since I finished ff15 a week earlier than I had planned.
Only El's route, I assume?
I'm reduced to 1 chapter per day near my 2nd run golden deer's chapter 19, the confrontation leading to me and my waifu Edelgard is just unbearable.
Alot of details are in the other routes, Edelgard route felt super rushed, with the twistd people taken care of in the epilogue, but I still adore her.

Yes sadly there's a number of character development and plot elements that were lacking in my first (Edelgard) playthough. It's probably just not a very good choice to play first. Maybe they should have kept the option exclusive to ng+. I've casually started a ng+ Golden Deer path and am appreciating it more so far. Also I somehow overlooked Leonie on my first playthough.. after adding a pegasus and her alternate character model she's my top character.
Are you plan to recruit alot for the golden deer run?

Are you plan to recruit alot for the golden deer run?
Yes there's really no downside to recruit as many as possible. Even if you don't use or instruct them, they will still build skill passively each week. All you need to do is throw gifts at the character until support level B, at which point they will join immediately after you recruit them.. or they will say no but then issue a request to join eventually in following weeks.

I'm using this run to build skill levels and then carry them over to a Hard playthrough eventually.

Yes there's really no downside to recruit as many as possible. Even if you don't use or instruct them, they will still build skill passively each week. All you need to do is throw gifts at the character until support level B, at which point they will join immediately after you recruit them.. or they will say no but then issue a request to join eventually in following weeks.

I'm using this run to build skill levels and then carry them over to a Hard playthrough eventually.
Minor spoiler.
I think I over recruited the blue lion people, when my golden deer army show up for the 2nd half's blood of lion and eagle 3 way battle,dimitri sad sap showed up with only dedue, kinda breaks the immersion (he would otherwise bring mercedes, ingrid, sylvain etc, but they are all work for me now!) Sorta silly little thing like that gets me.
Hard is easy too tho, I'm waiting for maddening or lunatic mode for a actual challenge.
Lastly, it cost alot of renown for skills ain't it? I only bought professor level to B+. Since El's route was so short, and u get 5 and half month less than Gooden deer, it's pretty upsetting.

Lastly, it cost alot of renown for skills ain't it? I only bought professor level to B+. Since El's route was so short, and u get 5 and half month less than Gooden deer, it's pretty upsetting.
What I'm doing - and has worked well so far - is to only use renown to purchase the higher ranks. The ranks under A are quick and easy. Going from E to E+ costs the same (500) as going from B+ to A.

Only El's route, I assume?
I'm reduced to 1 chapter per day near my 2nd run golden deer's chapter 19, the confrontation leading to me and my waifu Edelgard is just unbearable.
Alot of details are in the other routes, Edelgard route felt super rushed, with the twistd people taken care of in the epilogue, but I still adore her.
Friends of mine have said the same thing about the blue lions route. Since so many things are restricted to supports and paralogues lots of plot info like Jeralts backstory, flayn and seteth ect are hidden in those. Made worse by supports not having been set up so that they can be done in any order during any time in the story. I've noticed a number of them mention events either before they have happened or are talking about characters that are already dead as if they are still alive. They really just did a poor job on the story in this game.

It seems like eds route is pretty nerfed compared to the others since you lose out on 2 fights with the death knight in her route so you can only promote one unit to dark bishop. I don't get why they would do 5 though when if they did 6 then you'd be able to get 3 dark bishops max. 6 if they let you skip the first stupid one/didn't require 2 dark seals per character.

Especially since some of them get relics. Blue lions had felix shield, ingrid and sylvains lances. eagles had surprisingly no relics at all besides the one that goes to ed. alliance has lorenz magic staff. church has catherines sword seteths spear and flayns magic staff. those are all the ones I was able to get on my black eagles playthrough anyway. Sylvains comes from the main story while the rest are via paralogues.

Catherines you can obtain on the final map for black eagles but by then its kinda useless. On that note it's nice that hers is e rank so anyone could use it. I wish you got it earlier so I could give it to Felix or Petra given they are the sword users and there is no sword hero relic but lots of lance hero relics. The game is really bias towards lancers it seems. 4 of them counting Dimitris, 2 swords counting catherine and byleths, 2 rods, 1 axe and 1 bow. From what I understand there are 12 hero relics and 4 saint relics.

What I'm doing - and has worked well so far - is to only use renown to purchase the higher ranks. The ranks under A are quick and easy. Going from E to E+ costs the same (500) as going from B+ to A.
Ah ok, very cool, I shoulda done my 1st run on normal, since edelgard route so short, most my ppl didnt have S rank skill at all, cept lysithea the sassy lost child on reason. Then there was no way to know her route is 5 and half shorter beforehand(why Itellegent System why??)

Friends of mine have said the same thing about the blue lions route. Since so many things are restricted to supports and paralogues lots of plot info like Jeralts backstory, flayn and seteth ect are hidden in those. Made worse by supports not having been set up so that they can be done in any order during any time in the story. I've noticed a number of them mention events either before they have happened or are talking about characters that are already dead as if they are still alive. They really just did a poor job on the story in this game.

It seems like eds route is pretty nerfed compared to the others since you lose out on 2 fights with the death knight in her route so you can only promote one unit to dark bishop. I don't get why they would do 5 though when if they did 6 then you'd be able to get 3 dark bishops max. 6 if they let you skip the first stupid one/didn't require 2 dark seals per character.
I mean I didnt expect a masterpiece writing, but also not this disorienting mess in all these routes.
And I totally agree with the dark seal shit, hubert(El route exclusive) is the only man in game that uses dark magic and oh hey if u want life taker for byleth, on edelgard route, u need to figure it out with hubert with only 3 seals, and my current golden deer, I got 6 already,even made sylvain a dark bishop for shits and giggles after hes already a dark knight lol.

Ah ok, very cool, I shoulda done my 1st run on normal, since edelgard route so short, most my ppl didnt have S rank skill at all, cept lysithea the sassy lost child on reason. Then there was no way to know her route is 5 and half shorter beforehand(why Itellegent System why??)
Skill level wise it is easy to level them if you focus on one at a time and for whatever has the highest amount they will get from investing in. Average is usually 5 with +1 for professor level and more for the statue bonuses and random thumbs up and blue arrow symbols. I think the highest is 9 or 10. Then you get multipliers for great and perfect. Great is 12-15 I think and perfect is 21-24.

There are also skill level boosting accessories you can equip but only 2 on edelgards route. I got one from flayn and seteths paralogue and another from a chest or something.

Finally you can also boost some of them like faith via choir. It's relatively easy to get s ranks for at least one weapon level if you focus on them.

I mean I didnt expect a masterpiece writing, but also not this disorienting mess in all these routes.
And I totally agree with the dark seal shit, hubert(El route exclusive) is the only man in game that uses dark magic and oh hey if u want life taker for byleth, on edelgard route, u need to figure it out with hubert with only 3 seals, and my current golden deer, I got 6 already,even made sylvain a dark bishop for shits and giggles after hes already a dark knight lol.
Lysithea has dark magic as well and learns 1 spell over hubert as a default mage. But yeah those 2 are the ones that make the most sense given no one else seems to learn dark magic spells off the top of my head. Granted it's possible if you promote a unit into a dark mage class that they could learn some but I doubt that or it would be in the wikis.

How do you have 6 dark seals? Did you save them or something?

Lysithea has dark magic as well and learns 1 spell over hubert as a default mage. But yeah those 2 are the ones that make the most sense given no one else seems to learn dark magic spells off the top of my head. Granted it's possible if you promote a unit into a dark mage class that they could learn some but I doubt that or it would be in the wikis.

How do you have 6 dark seals? Did you save them or something?
Lyssie and Edelgard(El has luna and hades) has dark magic, but they dont have a penis(i hope not, these are my 2 S rank girls) to become a dark bishop, only loss is life taker so not too bad, since they can just become female exclusive gremory.

yea all spells are predetermined by birth in this game, very silly.

u fight the death knight 6 times in golden deer route. so 6 dark seals.

Some VN news that is delayed because of myself moving, but also many delays as well this month. First of all I'm just mentioning I've only really played Love^3 aka Love Cube. Frankly it is a kinetic novel with no choices and a very bland nukige story about a guy who can't make it drawing manga and 3 women he once knew. I'm close to finishing it all so i'll finish it, but it's not worth it. It's like a 5/10 story with 7/10 graphics. Muv-Luv photonflowers* was released on Steam.

First of all Witch's Love Diary was released by Denpasoft/Sekai a while back. It has a free 18+ patch on Denpasoft and is considered a very good mystery VN with an okay love story about a girl who finds a diary or something and you get to hear how a guy loved a bunch of girls.

Steam

Denpasoft (NSFW)

Denpasoft 18+ DLC (NSFW)

Denpasoft also release I Walk Among Zombies Volume 2. This is an only 18+ game.

Steam (NSFW)

Denpasoft (NSFW)

9-Nine-:Episode 2 was also released by Sekai/Denpasoft. Free 18+ patch on Denpasoft website.

Steam

Denpasoft 18+ Patch (NSFW)

Denpasoft (NSFW)

Mangagamer are having payment processing issues on their website since early August. This has delayed Ano Harewataru Sora yori Takaku a game about a club of people wanting to fly rockets. It will have a longer discounted price once released to take advantage of this. Sengoku Rance is also set to release on September 12th. Hopefully this is resolved soon as both games are huge wants.

They also had some Otakon announcements which are VNDB linked below.

Magic & Slash —Riru’s Sexy Grand Adventure (NSFW)

Sakuranomori Dreamers (NSFW)

Uchikano—Living With My Girlfriend (NSFW)

Spoilered quick thoughts on all 3 of these announcements:

Magic & Slash is an action RPG about an adventure named Riru who must hack and slash through enemies to fight the enemies of an evil villian who escapes from prison. If she loses she succumbs to the fate of the monsters. It's customizable in skills as well. Honestly I usually don't play these type of games, but at least there is some action gameplay in this one. Depend on when it releases I'll get it.

Sakuranomori Dreamers is about a boy named Shinji who when tragedy strikes he is able to see ghosts. Plagued by the sight of spirits and monsters he becomes terrified when he sees the ghost of a murdered classmate. Offering kindness to the ghost leads to Shinji and his friends investigating the murder while protecting themselves from horrors. It looks really cool and high quality. An easy purchase on release since horror VNs are not always the norm.

Uchikano—Living With My Girlfriend is about a guy named Keisuke who got his first job and is living alone. His childhood friend Amane shows up at his front door and stays with him to prepare for her entrance exams. Love is rekindled and this is their story. Sounds simple and short. I usually like these as a palette cleanser so it's an easy buy.

Overall these are decent announcements with one high want.

Natsuiro Shimai ~Osananajimi to Manatsu no Himegoto~ aka Summer Colored Sisters was released by DLsite. This one stars Tatsuya who left his rural town to attend university in a big city. He ends up visiting his parents and sees his old friends Kumi and Haru. One sneaks in one night and they have sex. The next day the other is caught in the rain and ends up also having sex with him knowing he has slept with her sister. A love triangle booms in this summer adventure. Another decent looking short palate cleanser. Nothing too amazing i'm sure but the art is nice. Will buy.

DLsite (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

JAST USA released Saya no Uta remastered. I believe it's free if you owned it before from JAST USA website. It's also on Steam now. A classic I will rebuy as it's cheap and has a release discount sale.

Steam (NSFW)

A translation patch was released for Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi aka A Kiss For The Petals - Lovers of the Atelier. These games are well regarded yuri games, but I still haven't played any.

Translation Patch Site

Also Raging Loop the horror VN is being released by PQube October 18th in Europe and October 22nd in NA. Looks like an interesting story based around the Werewolf social game. Easy buy.

Gematsu

Lastly it's time to talk delays. I already mentioned Mangagamer delaying Ano Harewataru Sora yori Takaku until they fix their payment processor issues. Sol Press delayed Kimihime to fix a bug until further notice. Nekonyan has delayed Aokana until September. The 2nd Loca Love game may be delayed too, as it was recently rejected from Steam. 

Guys are on NG+ and all I get to do is send someone flowers for their birthday before falling asleep.
Once you get high enough teaching rank you will have tea time with them instead. Pick a random tea to have them drink then you get 3 multiple choice dialogue boxes and if you pick the right one your support rank goes up. Sometimes you get a 4th but not always. Tea times not very useful so I only ever did it on birthdays. It does increase your charm stat and whatever units by 1. That part is semi useful depending on the unit you want to be the dancer class since they have to have a minimum of 20 charm iirc.

Lyssie and Edelgard(El has luna and hades) has dark magic, but they dont have a penis(i hope not, these are my 2 S rank girls) to become a dark bishop, only loss is life taker so not too bad, since they can just become female exclusive gremory.

yea all spells are predetermined by birth in this game, very silly.

u fight the death knight 6 times in golden deer route. so 6 dark seals.
I forgot dark class was male unit exclusive. Not a great class option when only 1 character gets the most out of it.

I forgot dark class was male unit exclusive. Not a great class option when only 1 character gets the most out of it.
This time the class system such unbalanced mess, gender locked, and half the master classes are just side grade rather than upgrade. Mastery for most classes above intermediate are trash too. Wish it was more polished.

This time the class system such unbalanced mess, gender locked, and half the master classes are just side grade rather than upgrade. Mastery for most classes above intermediate are trash too. Wish it was more polished.
Some of the master classes are fine (mostly because advanced didn't have pegs or most of the classes they should have) Mounted versions of the classes are always good. Especially since movement is so much lower in this game than the others for some unexplained reason. Some of them are kinda screwed because of innate prowess in any particular category though. Like petra works as a mortal savant since she learns wind magic. But Felix only learns 2 spells period so he's not worth making a savant and better off investing in bows arguably. Or maybe keep with brawling since with his high crit rate could be viable.

What was a shame is the dancer class is limited to one unit and your choices are limited in who you can pick to become one unless you knew to start tea time with a unit asap.

Kind of amazing that Psikyo Shooting Stars is coming, physical, to the US.

I don't need another limited edition, but I do want to support the genre!

So there is absolutely no reason to keep my copy of Persona 5 now since P5R is the definite version of the game? Tempted to possibly sell my copy while I can get a decent buck for it still and just grab P5R when it launches in the spring.

So there is absolutely no reason to keep my copy of Persona 5 now since P5R is the definite version of the game? Tempted to possibly sell my copy while I can get a decent buck for it still and just grab P5R when it launches in the spring.
From what I've read, it might be like Samurai Warriors 4 and Samurai Warriors 4-II. So, both games might stand on their own.

I'm pretty sure I read an article where Atlus said while there won't be save transfers between vanilla and Royal, there might be a bonus in Royal for those with a vanilla save file on their system.

But, you could sell vanilla, and just be sure to keep your save file. I'm guessing it'll just be something like decals for the Mementos bus.

Good call. Any word on Vol. 3 coming?

Really love Strikers 1945 and Mobile Light Force, but am ashamed to admit they're the only ones I have played.
I don't think there will be a Volume 3. Each of the NIS games will have 6 shooters on it and I think the 3 volume Japanese game series had a total of 12 games (4 in each volume).

I'm pretty sure I read an article where Atlus said while there won't be save transfers between vanilla and Royal, there might be a bonus in Royal for those with a vanilla save file on their system.
I really hope they've decided to change that in development since then. I'd like it to at least work like a new game + to help move things along for returning players =/

Atlus isn't exactly known for having much sense. Like I don't believe you could do anything with your p3 save for fes.  Which is sad given that the cold steel games from what I recall allowed importing saves or something for the ps4 versions and the other 2 versions are on different systems.

Are there any functioning generic coupons for PlayAsia anymore? Trying to place an order and I can't get any of the usual coupons (MYPSVITA, NDEAL, CENSORED etc.) to work.

Are there any functioning generic coupons for PlayAsia anymore? Trying to place an order and I can't get any of the usual coupons (MYPSVITA, NDEAL, CENSORED etc.) to work.
For my last order on 8/7, NPE worked for $3 off aPlay Exclusive.

Atlus isn't exactly known for having much sense. Like I don't believe you could do anything with your p3 save for fes. Which is sad given that the cold steel games from what I recall allowed importing saves or something for the ps4 versions and the other 2 versions are on different systems.
FES let your import your save for NG+.

bread's done
Back