Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
My vita charging cable decided to stop working today (the 3 in one from best buy that also charges psp, phones controllers etc).  So any of you know where I can get another one from?  I still have my original cord but would prefer to get one of the best buy ones since they fit in the vita better while the originals kinda stick out.

ToCS III preorder is on the PSN store, including a deluxe edition that currently has a strangely large ps+ discount:
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1063-CUSA15119_00-DIGITALDELUXEPRE

just looks like costumes and such. nontheless kinda annoyed about being excluded due to preordering the CE the week it became available.
It's not a price mistake. They mentioned this on their blog, which prompted understandable upset responses from people who bought the CE and aren't getting it. Not that that's a new thing for them

Has anyone heard if there really is going to be a physical edition?
No official statement one way or another, but there's a pre-order available at Play-Asia (who has jumped the gun on stuff like this before) and supposedly Amazon had some placeholders that may have been FF8.

I cannot wait for this:

Yakuza-Collection_08-20-19_Box.jpg

A limited run of The Yakuza Remastered Collection: Day One Edition will release on February 11, 2020 for $59.99, and contains Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, and Yakuza 5 on two disks in a striking red collectible case emblazoned with Kiryu’s trademark dragon tattoo. This release marks the first time Yakuza 5 will be available in a physical format in the west, so the collection also includes a genuine Yakuza 5 PS3 case; after five years since the game’s original release, series collectors can finally fill the gap in their library! Supplies are very limited, so get your order in while supplies last!

Finally a physical release for Yakuza 5! Will definitely be picking up that collection.

Also, pretty cool knowing Yakuza 3 Remastered will be available on digital today. Was not expecting that.

SEGA wants to localize Yakuza Isshin but they're not sure if the West are into Samurais.

LMAO
This is honestly one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. Did they not hear how well NiOh and Sekiro did? Are they unaware that Sucker Punch, an American game developer, is making a first-party samurai-era-based game that has many people hyped? :wall:

Somehow I'm not surprised we haven't gotten a Skies of Arcadia remaster/rerelease if this is how SEGA thinks.

This is honestly one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. Did they not hear how well NiOh and Sekiro did? Are they unaware that Sucker Punch, an American game developer, is making a first-party samurai-era-based game that has many people hyped? :wall:

Somehow I'm not surprised we haven't gotten a Skies of Arcadia remaster/rerelease if this is how SEGA thinks.
They gave us Yakuza of the North Star but they don't think Yakuza Isshin won't sell well? Nice SEGA. amirite? lol

Good thing is, now I can own all of of Yakuza (cept Dead Souls) on the PS4.

It still doesn't have a physical release for the PS3. So the point is to pretend that it did?
Waste of plastic haha. I will likely double dip and get digital and physical or maybe just wait for the physical copy. I am almost done with Yakuza 0 but still need to go through Kiwami 1 and 2 before this....so I would finish about when the physical releases. Sounds smarter for that haha.

I'm actually more interested in Yakuza Isshin because I can get into that without the massive undertaking of 5 or 6 more games(depending on if I count 0) looming over my head. Also it's probably the closest thing I could get to another Way of the Samurai game.

yea i also think the ps3 case is silly with no disc. i would rather have steelbooks for 3 4 5 to complete the collection on ps4 instead.

Maybe they should partner with LRG and actually release the PS3 disc (to go with the case)?
That would certainly be nice and they could more than make up the cost if they do a print of around 25-40k. Maybe more since it's a big enough item to sell. Though the collection case would be kinda redundant when it would come with its own case I would assume.

Meanwhile I put some time into legend of dragoon today. Quite fun game so far and has held up pretty well. Only negative I have is the action commands especially counters are somewhat difficult to do with the input delay being a likely factor. I have about 60-75% for volcano and 40-50% for counters. Just got the blazing haired red eyed hunter Shana ;) and the knight from basil Lavitz to join the party.

The random encounter rate is easily the lowest and best one of any ps1 and earlier game I have played. And I am quite surprised for dungeons it has on screen encounters as well. Or at least for the Hellena prison dungeon it does. So far I'd probably rank this game in my top 25 just because of the similarities to paper mario and the other mario rpgs gameplay wise.

Maybe they should partner with LRG and actually release the PS3 disc (to go with the case)?
I doubt they want to undercut the PS4 version sales. Plus they have stated already that it's not as simple turning a digital ps3 game to physical and it would require development time. So, it's not happening. At least we get this....

I cannot wait for this:

Yakuza-Collection_08-20-19_Box.jpg
I'm down for that as a day 1 purchase. Glad this didn't end up digital only.

While I'm certainly going go get this, the PS3 case is a strange extra. I'd understand if Sega had released 0 and rereleased 1 and 2, and even 6 on PS3 but given that is not the case, what's the point? It's not as if putting 3 to 5 and Dead Souls on a shelf means that much.

It'd make far more sense had they just included PS4 cases for each of these. Oh well.

Quick question about .hack//GU Last Recode I was hoping someone here could answer.

Do you have to start from the first game of the series, or can you start from any of the included games? I mean is it literally possible, I’m not asking about the story.

Quick question about .hack//GU Last Recode I was hoping someone here could answer.

Do you have to start from the first game of the series, or can you start from any of the included games? I mean is it literally possible, I’m not asking about the story.
Like in the originals you can start from any game without carrying over a save. Of course doing so you get stuck with whatever stats, level, items and equipment and such they give you. And are probably locked out of any sidequest chains. Now if you start on the god or whatever mode they have the majority of stuff already set up for you like being at the level cap with the reaper scissors you get from the doppleganger and such. I did the god mode for 1 simply because I played the hell out of that back in the day so I didn't have alot of interest in regrinding to get all that money equipment and such again.

Whatever game you start at make sure you snag the needle rippers as your twinblade weapon. Best twinblade weapon easy because of its innate skill where you charge attack and ghost step through enemies and deal a bunch of hits. You get one via the story tournament in 1 and another through a sidequest or something. Which is a shame as I would have liked to max it out to 5 stars by fusing it with more of them.

While I'm certainly going go get this, the PS3 case is a strange extra. I'd understand if Sega had released 0 and rereleased 1 and 2, and even 6 on PS3 but given that is not the case, what's the point? It's not as if putting 3 to 5 and Dead Souls on a shelf means that much.

It'd make far more sense had they just included PS4 cases for each of these. Oh well.
I'm suspicious if they're something like leftovers from a planned and cancelled Yakuza 5 release...

Yakuza Remastered Collection is Live on Amazon for preorder:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WRMP3R8

I went ahead and locked in my preorder there, but since I'm not prime it has the free shipping with 7+ days extra wait after launch which will keep the door open for me just grabbing it at Walmart for $10 less at launch and then cancelling this.  If I can't get it at walmart, well at least I have this preorder. I don't buy many games anymore (I'm very picky because I know realistically how much time I put in with gaming) so it's not the end of the world paying full price.   Plus this is essentially $20 each game for physical releases and they are reworking the script and adding things in that were cut from the NA original releases... so... it seems well worth it.

I feel it's worth noting that Fanatical is having a pretty comprehensive summer sale.

You can take an additional 10% off with FANATICAL10. If you subscribe to their emails, you might have a coupon to take 12% off instead.

Almost seems like their entire catalogue is on sale. And some of these games are matching the lowest they've been in the past.

With the coupon, Date A Live is $27. If you're interested though, IF still has the limited edition available for $85 and I think as far as limited editions go, especially for PC, that's a pretty good value for what you get.

Crystar has a 10% preorder discount on PSN if you pick it up before the store updates. $53.99 pre-tax

Physical copies get a mini-art book while digital gets PS4 themes.

I just happened to trade in my DS copies of ZX and ZX Advent into GameStop yesterday with the extra $5 credit per game bonus. I probably would've contemplated trading in my DS Zero Collection too if I had known about this. Unfortunately seeing as how Capcom never patched the input lag on the X Legacy Collections, I have my reservations about how this new collection will turn out.

Yakuza Remastered Collection got to the #1 spot on Amazon for PS4 game sales for a while. It's #2 right now. Pretty impressive. Maybe this will inspire Sega to bring over the side games in the series for a second Remastered Collection.

Wonder if they'll actually put the whole thing on the cartridge this time.
Seems like there's no good excuse for not putting them all on the cart. I think the games added up are under 1gb total.

bread's done
Back