Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rinoa change to me just looks like they updated some of the model geometry, not so much intentional censorship.
I'd say it's clearly changed but it's so minor it doesn't matter. Probably just looked better this way with the significantly higher clarity you get from the new models.

It appears the Yu-No CE is now sold out at the NISA website.  I checked around a week ago and there was still around 25% stock left.  Thought I was safe waiting a bit.  I'll probably just pick up the Day One Edition then.

This seems relevant, again.

5x5UrjS.png

Best Buy put several Bandai Namco games on sale today for PS4 only (so far):

My Hero: One's Justice - $19.99

Soul Calibur VI - $19.99

Dark Souls Remastered - $19.99

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - $19.99

God Eater 3 - $29.99

Also, not Namco but World War Z is on sale for $29.99 too.

Best Buy put several Bandai Namco games on sale today for PS4 only (so far):

My Hero: One's Justice - $19.99
Soul Calibur VI - $19.99
Dark Souls Remastered - $19.99
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - $19.99
God Eater 3 - $29.99

Also, not Namco but World War Z is on sale for $29.99 too.
Thanks for that as I’m tempted to buy My Hero at that price since I still have GCU.

if i remembered this correctly. the game was pulled off steam for pushing their political ideology with art mocking the chinese president. they got their game review bombed, chinese social media account banned, and lost their publishers.

pretty stupid move to push politics in a horror game or any game in general.
The situation in China goes beyond politics. It’s not a nice government to live under.

I am not sure what point you are even trying to make.
What he means is once government pressure and fear cause companies to cower in releasing their work, then that is actual censorship we should all be worried about.

And what's wrong with politics and messaging in games? I invite it. It's absolutely hypocritical to be against censorship and then want games to be message neutral.

The reason games STILL don't get the respect they deserve and keep gettinh scapegoated unlike movies, which a re just as super violent is that games have failed to yet deliver more meaningful messages and experiences that go beyobd tropes and fantasy.

Movies can deliver thoughtful experiences that touch on real issues that give people insights into the world around them. Games can and need to do more of this.

In short, bring on the messages, the politics, and the controversial issues. The medium will be much better for it.

And if our government and others then try to attack the medium for expressing and exchanging ideas and messages, then my friends THAT is censorship worth fighting about.

I don’t think they really thought out what it was, it was just some sort of “decency” plate. I think Shiva has one too.
I think the difference between Siren and Shiva is the texture. Siren's is yellow and has a rougher texture (akin to feathers or hair) while Shiva's is smooth like wearing a bikini.

This seems relevant, again.

5x5UrjS.png
How about no, 2 things can be true at the same time.

None of this absolves Sony from being complete shit heads on their pathetic censorship, "anime tiddies" or not... What a fucking strawman if I've ever seen one. One glance at this tards twitter account tells you all you need to know.

I think the last time I touched a WiiU was to play through that game.  Glad it's getting released on switch.  I enjoyed it enough to throw more money at it.

Curious to see if this is a straight port or if Nintendo and Atlus add anything. Given how poorly it was received, I'd be surprised if either puts a significant amount of work into it.

Will also be interesting to see how Nintendo handles the "adjustments" it made when it brought the game over to the West. That conversation unfortunately, like it has with select games with Sony, took over a large part of the dialogue on thaf game when it last released on the WiiU. Given the environment, I would think Nintendo tries to quietly port the adjusted version rather than the straight Japanese version.

It's one thing for third parties but I don't see Nintendo putting back in the removed Japanese gameplay.

Curious to see if this is a straight port or if Nintendo and Atlus add anything. Given how poorly it was received, I'd be surprised if either puts a significant amount of work into it.

Will also be interesting to see how Nintendo handles the "adjustments" it made when it brought the game over to the West. That conversation unfortunately, like it has with select games with Sony, took over a large part of the dialogue on thaf game when it last released on the WiiU. Given the environment, I would think Nintendo tries to quietly port the adjusted version rather than the straight Japanese version.

It's one thing for third parties but I don't see Nintendo putting back in the removed Japanese gameplay.
Did you not watch the tidbit? They're adding new characters

Didn't watch it. Switch hasn't interested me that much, and that's coming from someone who liked the Wii U, at least more than Wii. Still love the Gamecube more. Anyways, thanks.

Still curious to see how/if Nintendo handles the more sensitive changes it made since the Internet nowadays love to make mountains out of ant hills.

Also a new song and some story content =)

Hopefully it's uncensored this time (though the trailer seemed to show that wasn't true as that boss still seemed to be censored) and if it isn't, hopefully the Japanese release isn't and is import friendly

Really glad TME is coming back, but seeing Xenoblade HD was one of the biggest things for me. Looks like they're keeping the pretty boy anime look from the XC2 expansion, but I'm just really looking forward to playing through the game again. 

Can't imagine what the Smash character select screen is gonna look like by this time next year. 

It's really nice to see Switch cashing in on all the previous gen JRPGs, retro and indie game collections, rebuilds, and remakes.  Usually I roll my eyes at all of the old stuff that comes out on the recent Nintendo system years after the fact.  It used to be stuff that nobody cares about anymore.  But they've done a good job relaunching old games and recent IPs that people want to play and own.  Like the Collection of Mana for instance.  The system is becoming a jrpg bastion.  What's old is new again.   Plus they've never been more convenient to play. 

It's really nice to see Switch cashing in on all the previous gen JRPGs, retro and indie game collections, rebuilds, and remakes. Usually I roll my eyes at all of the old stuff that comes out on the recent Nintendo system years after the fact. It used to be stuff that nobody cares about anymore. But they've done a good job relaunching old games and recent IPs that people want to play and own. Like the Collection of Mana for instance. The system is becoming a jrpg bastion. What's old is new again. Plus they've never been more convenient to play.
While that works for some, that's been the very reason for my disinterest in the Switch. More power to those who enjoy replaying old games, but for me, I've already experienced or own these games so none of these so-called announcements carry much excitement.

I like Nintendo but even I find all this exuberant Ninty love over super old games and ports strange. The mobile ability is nice, but that seems hardly a reason for all the hoopla over either ports or mildly enhanced editions that feature some extra characters and side quests.

Again, different strokes for different folks. Only Switch game that's really excited me thus far is Astral Chain; I'm sure I'll be impressed with Bayonetta 3 and curious about No More Heroes 3. After that, I need about ~20 or so more Switch titles to get me to buy one. Should be just in time for Nintendo to iron out everything and deliver a Switch Pro.

one of the worst unbalanced/heavy grinders for that console, another example of the cheapness of nintendo to refuse fixing obvious problems with games and releasing and somewhat fixed version for their next low grad console...i wish companies would stand up to nintendo pay for updates policy and actually fix games, well the will remaster/not new version for their next out dated console is an incentive for companies to screw over fans and wait for suckers

I'm glad for all the exclusives escaping wiiu prison and getting ported onto switch where a larger audience can experience them finally.

While that works for some, that's been the very reason for my disinterest in the Switch. More power to those who enjoy replaying old games, but for me, I've already experienced or own these games so none of these so-called announcements carry much excitement.

I like Nintendo but even I find all this exuberant Ninty love over super old games and ports strange. The mobile ability is nice, but that seems hardly a reason for all the hoopla over either ports or mildly enhanced editions that feature some extra characters and side quests.

Again, different strokes for different folks. Only Switch game that's really excited me thus far is Astral Chain; I'm sure I'll be impressed with Bayonetta 3 and curious about No More Heroes 3. After that, I need about ~20 or so more Switch titles to get me to buy one. Should be just in time for Nintendo to iron out everything and deliver a Switch Pro.
I agree on that. Typically I don't pick up a system until it has enough titles I want. Usually 10 is the lowest I will go. I do make exceptions when I find discounts for them though or they have a big title I want like the switch did with fire emblem, smash and pokemon. Whole reason I bought a wiiu and switch were due to the smash bundles newegg did both times. I do try to avoid jumping to newer systems and instead work on my backlog these days. Especially since I have stuff like legend of dragoon I am playing for the first time and that game is older than some of the posters here...

New playable characters, new story components, new dungeon is all we know so far.

As for the Switch discussion, to me the Switch has taken all the traditional Nintendo IPs from their console/handheld and merged them into 1 system. Adding on top 90% of the usual series you would have found on the VITA and about 70% of anything you find on PS4/XB1.

It's never going to be the most optimal way to play a game if you care about graphics but seeing as I'm mostly a handheld gamer, that's never really been my concern. The switch is flooding with good games to play new/old/ports/indies the works.

I agree on that. Typically I don't pick up a system until it has enough titles I want. Usually 10 is the lowest I will go. I do make exceptions when I find discounts for them though or they have a big title I want like the switch did with fire emblem, smash and pokemon.
I need maybe 1 game that I want to play more than anything that I'm super hyped for. That will set me up to enjoy the system overall even if the library isn't huge or the system is too young to know how it'll be. But I've got to be convinced the game is something I will love. If I get a system without that one game, usually I never find anything special enough to keep the system around for the long haul. Sure I'll still have fun but systems like the Vita, which I've had plenty of fun with, I can't name a single game where I'd be all over wanting to play it again in the future on Vita. I only bought my first vita (the PSTV) because of a flash sale on Amazon made it SUPER cheap and I figured worst case it was another PS3 controller.

For me Zelda BotW made the switch purchase worth it. I was mega hyped for it and it paid off. I love that game more than any other Zelda title because I'm a huge fan of game worlds that let you explore and do things at your own pace and reward creativity (and this game allows a lot of creative problem solving). Super Mario Odyssey was easily the best Mario game I've played since Mario Sunshine and is probably my favorite Mario game of them all... though I'm not a fan of the ending. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 ended up battling it out with Dragon Quest, a series full of games, as my favorite RPG series (DQ still reigns supreme but XC2 is something I just LOVE). Three of the best games I've ever played... I feel like the Switch has already fully delivered enough to make it worth it. I also loved Cat Quest as more of a casual kind of experience that had some great humor and surprising depth of combat and while I could have played it elsewhere, I made use of the hybrid system with that game. Same with Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2 and soon enough DQ XI-S.

I can't wait for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. I didn't get it on Wii. I never really loved the Wii or wanted it but got it because of my kids. I have a hard time going back to the Wii (or even GC, which I'm a huge fan of) as the graphics in many of the games haven't held up well after getting spoiled by modern systems with HDMI and higher resolutions and framerates. So it's going to be great getting that masterpiece on an HD system. I did get the N3DS port, but it's not as pretty and I'm finding it harder to enjoy handheld gaming as my eyes aren't getting any younger.

as the graphics in many of the games haven't held up well after getting spoiled by modern systems with HDMI and higher resolutions and framerates.
I suppose it's all a matter of perspective. For instance, this statement pretty much sums up why I have a hard time enjoying the world of XC2. I feel like the game is badly hurt by poor performance and graphics quality. Odyssey is the only NS game that I felt was really pulled off well in that regard. Sadly it seems they aren't willing to share that measure of optimization and polish across the board.

It's really nice to see Switch cashing in on all the previous gen JRPGs, retro and indie game collections, rebuilds, and remakes. ...Plus they've never been more convenient to play.
This is why Nintendo is getting away this strategy, while in the past they weren't able to capitalize it to the same degree.

The portability of the Switch confers utility to games that did not previously enjoy such utility. A game like Skyrim can now be played anywhere, not just on a computer monitor or television screen. The indie games you enjoyed on your PC can now be taken on the go. The hits and even the moderate success stories of years past gain new appeal when they are ported to a mobile platform.

The Wii U also saw several re-releases and ports in its first year. But it DIDN'T benefit much from them. Aside from its touchscreen, which was minimally used, it didn't really add anything new to those old games. Most users didn't see any real benefit from picking up the Wii U versions. The selling point of the Switch is much easier to understand, and much more desirable. A lot of people like taking their games with them.

It is also a big draw for developers. (and publishers) Who doesn't like being able to sell their old content multiple times?

I suppose it's all a matter of perspective. For instance, this statement pretty much sums up why I have a hard time enjoying the world of XC2. I feel like the game is badly hurt by poor performance and graphics quality. Odyssey is the only NS game that I felt was really pulled off well in that regard. Sadly it seems they aren't willing to share that measure of optimization and polish across the board.
Interesting. I thought the game world of XC2 was Stunning. Of course I turned the Color to Full range on my Switch which most people don't seem to know about. It made a Zelda BotW and XC2 look even better since my tv supported it. I'm not sure why they default that to limited. Of course geometry had limits up close, but the screenshots I took of those games... just ... very nice. Just thinking about it has me ready to go back and play some more XC2!

Granted I'm sure when ever I jump to a 144hz monitor and start jumping to 2K and 4K... it may make stuff like this seem lesser. But, I still go back and watch DVD's in 480p and think it looks fine. It's really just the interlaced video that does me in... much like trying to replay old FPS's from when raycasting was hot tech. Those games usually hurt my brain.

Interesting. I thought the game world of XC2 was Stunning. Of course I turned the Color to Full range on my Switch which most people don't seem to know about. It made a Zelda BotW and XC2 look even better since my tv supported it. I'm not sure why they default that to limited. Of course geometry had limits up close, but the screenshots I took of those games... just ... very nice. Just thinking about it has me ready to go back and play some more XC2!

Granted I'm sure when ever I jump to a 144hz monitor and start jumping to 2K and 4K... it may make stuff like this seem lesser. But, I still go back and watch DVD's in 480p and think it looks fine. It's really just the interlaced video that does me in... much like trying to replay old FPS's from when raycasting was hot tech. Those games usually hurt my brain.
I think this largely comes down to a matter of art direction/style vs actual graphical fidelity. XB2 has a wonderful world, excellent designs, and it's all very colorful and pleasing. It also runs at a very low resolution (laughably so in handheld mode), has crazy pop-in, is aliased to fuck, and fails to maintain even its target of 30fps--which is already less than pleasant. So it somehow manages to be visually appealing and appalling all at once!

I think this largely comes down to a matter of art direction/style vs actual graphical fidelity. XB2 has a wonderful world, excellent designs, and it's all very colorful and pleasing. It also runs at a very low resolution (laughably so in handheld mode), has crazy pop-in, is aliased to fuck, and fails to maintain even its target of 30fps--which is already less than pleasant. So it somehow manages to be visually appealing and appalling all at once!
I played the pretty much exclusively docked and I didn't really notice much in the frame rate dropping. Pretty much all open world games have some level of things popping in... it didn't seem that bad to me. Granted I also played it well after all the major patches came out so I didn't get hit with the launch issues. I'm amazed it ran as good as it did in handheld mode but I avoided that mode due to the known issues.

This is yet another reminder why I couldn't ever be happy with the switch lite. Some games just need the extra power of a docked switch. Especially with color range set to Full.

What really got me about XC2 beyond the world were the characters, the story, the side quests, the freedom to goof off, the range of environments, the ability to avoid over powered enemies... and yet rise up to just dominate everyone in the game. Plus the way you built up your blades and leveled the characters was really well done. It seemed overly complex at first but once I drilled into it, it became a whole side game with much of the blade leveling involving side stories of their own. Plus most of the game was voiced really well. Of course that's usually something that also differs person by person... I though the voice work was great. Really the entire soundscape of the game was very well done.

But yeah, sensitivity to performance will greatly affect any game. I tried going back to play Burnout 1 & 2 on the GC and the experience felt completely ruined even though they were two of my favorite racing games of all time.

bread's done
Back