Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the yearly releases, is Japanese game development just as soul crushing a career as it is here in the US?
I'm thinking yes. From what I know of Japanese careers in general, and the anime and manga industries in particular, I'm thinking the work done in Japanese game development is probably very soul crushing. It's likely at least as bad as what we see in the US, and probably worse.

Given the yearly releases, is Japanese game development just as soul crushing a career as it is here in the US?
Games like Gal Gun look like all sunshine, rainbows, and panties...but there's a dark, insidious underbelly to them. Many souls were crushed in the making.

Games like Gal Gun look like all sunshine, rainbows, and panties...but there's a dark, insidious underbelly to them. Many souls were crushed in the making.
worth it. Hopefully more souls are crushed for another sequel. Extra souls for VR capabilities or bringing back the ps eye light gun shooting feature.

does anyone have impressions with yesterday's release,  AI: The Somnium Files?

Seemes to be fairly well reviewed and looks interesting/different..  actually thinking about going through with my $59.99 amz LE preoprder.

does anyone have impressions with yesterday's release, AI: The Somnium Files?

Seemes to be fairly well reviewed and looks interesting/different.. actually thinking about going through with my $59.99 amz LE preoprder.
Yeah, I was sold on the fact that the game is done by Kotaru Uchikoshi (who is behind the Zero Escape series) and the art is done by Yusuke Kozaki (did the art for FE Awakening and Fates). That and I've read some first impressions of the game actually being pretty good.

I kinda wanted the Swtich version, but the LE version was unavailable on Bestbuy (I wanted to use my GCU discount). So I ended up ordering the PS4 version. Looking forward to it.

Posters on forums say that if you want the trophy for the boss at the end of the demo to keep a save before it since you cannot earn the trophy in the demo.
Makes sense. Based on experience getting the CSI and II plats, I fully expect to be doing two playthroughs regardless. I typically like to do my first playthrough blind on Hard and then ng+ on nightmare with a guide to mop up trophies. There was also content exclusive to ng+ in Zero, Ao, CSII so there likely will be in III as well.

The demo didn't carry over any CSII data, so I will probably be starting a new game at release anyway.

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel Decisive Edition just dropped to 32.99 on Amazon new. Lowest price ever. I decided to bite the bullet even though I probably won’t get around to playing it for a bit, is this a good call?

River City Girls over at Play-Asia has been updated so that all orders now get the asia exclusive two disc soundtrack.  It was in the last email newsletter.

River City Girls over at Play-Asia has been updated so that all orders now get the asia exclusive two disc soundtrack. It was in the last email newsletter.
Of course. I emailed them about the preorder bonus aftet preorders closed and they told me then that new orders would not come with it. I just went ahead and ordered from LRG.

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel Decisive Edition just dropped to 32.99 on Amazon new. Lowest price ever. I decided to bite the bullet even though I probably won’t get around to playing it for a bit, is this a good call?
Good call if you value the physical collectibles at all. That version has the best steelbook imo. Comes with 50 mira cashback.

Amazon's going to ship it to you in a bubble mailer though.

Not niche, but Japanese game related question. Did they ever fix the performance issues on the Xbox One versions of the Dark Souls games? I have both consoles (PS4 and XB1) but I'm wondering if the experience is better now on Xbox One X or PS4 pro.

Makes sense. Based on experience getting the CSI and II plats, I fully expect to be doing two playthroughs regardless. I typically like to do my first playthrough blind on Hard and then ng+ on nightmare with a guide to mop up trophies. There was also content exclusive to ng+ in Zero, Ao, CSII so there likely will be in III as well.

The demo didn't carry over any CSII data, so I will probably be starting a new game at release anyway.
I would assume that will be limited to the actual game then as I believe they specifically mentioned save data carrying over at some point. Hmm nevermind that was stuff carrying over from 1 and 2 into 4 apparently.

The Princess Guide (Switch version) is down to $19.97 at Amazon. Its currently backordered, but they should be getting more:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07FB9VPQF/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new
giphy.gif

Don't see it mentioned in any of the recent pages, but

Fate/EXTELLA Link - Fleeting Glory Limited Edition - PlayStation 4 $49.99https://www.amazon.com/Fate-EXTELLA...ideogames&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=1-217

Noted as a limited time deal on the search page, and on camelcamelcamel it dropped to this price on 9/14, and is the lowest from Amazon directly.

Hope somebody can make use of it.
I noticed this as well, but I'm hoping it drops further. The last Fate/Extella LE got down to $20 before it started drying up.

I noticed this as well, but I'm hoping it drops further. The last Fate/Extella LE got down to $20 before it started drying up.
Yeah, and even then it dried up pretty slowly.
To be fair, with that release they were sorta fighting themselves on the Sony side with the Vita copies too which was identical.

But indeed hope it will stay in stock as it goes lower, since I sure wouldn't mind swooping one up for cheaper. ;)

So am I still the only person that actually like Mind=0, or have other people finally warmed up to it?
I've been wanting to check it out. Have everything else in that bundle on other platforms though (if anyone is looking for other titles and wants to split let me know.)

So am I still the only person that actually like Mind=0, or have other people finally warmed up to it?
I have been (veerrrrryyyyyy) slowly working my way through it for a few years now and I like it for the most part. I dunno how the reception to it was at launch but I know based on most of the reviews I skimmed around the time I bought the game it looked like a case of people comparing it to Persona instead of judging it based on its own merits (one of the top metacritic reviews literally says to go buy P4G instead.)

Always hate when that kind of thing happens.

I was really in to Persona at the time and enjoyed playing it. Never finished the final dungeon because I sat down to play on my Playstation TV and the game wanted me to rub something.

Mind=0 isn't bad, but then I love me some dungeon crawlers (Etrian Odysseys, Moe Chronicle, Criminal Girls 1 more than 2, ...). How's Omega/Labyrinth Life?

I feel like I'm buying this for Mind=0, and maybe xblaze/aegis. How's Creeping Terror (is it garbage?)?
It's a port of a ds game. Supposedly not much work went into the port. Haven't tried it myself yet. If you want 4/5 games in the bundle just get it to add another title to the library.

To be fair, with that release they were sorta fighting themselves on the Sony side with the Vita copies too which was identical.

But indeed hope it will stay in stock as it goes lower, since I sure wouldn't mind swooping one up for cheaper. ;)
I don't see why not. Now that there's Switch and people who love paying more to buy old, degraded games, we all know they're just waiting for Marvelous to milk them out. After the last Switch version, I'd bet Marvelous sold fewer of the sequel on PS4.

I have been (veerrrrryyyyyy) slowly working my way through it for a few years now and I like it for the most part. I dunno how the reception to it was at launch but I know based on most of the reviews I skimmed around the time I bought the game it looked like a case of people comparing it to Persona instead of judging it based on its own merits (one of the top metacritic reviews literally says to go buy P4G instead.)

Always hate when that kind of thing happens.
It wasn't just that but there are numerous games like it on the vita that are for the most part considered better so it made it get an even lower score. I still have to get around to it myself as I bought it and a number of other titles during past psn sales when they were this price or lower.

That’s... hmm. It’s definitely competing with the Arkham City GOTY case as one of the worst designs I’ve ever seen. It’s definitely weirder and more jarring, but at the same time it’s honestly a more artistic and visually pleasing design.

It’s a really tough call.

Fanatical is having a MoeNovel bundle. You can take an additional 15% with coupon code 15OFFMOE(it should be auto applied if you click through the link).

Tier 1 - $5.89($5.01 after coupon)

If My Heart Had Wings

Love Kami Divinity Stage

Love Kami Useless Goddess

Love Kami Healing Harem

A Sky Full of Stars

Cross Channel

Adventure of a Lifetime

Tier 2 - $13.49($11.47 after coupon)*includes Tier 1 items

If My Heart Had Wings Flight Diary

If My Heart Had Wings Flight Diary - New Wings: Akari DLC

Flight Diary is a fan disc that was released earlier this year. Worth it if you're a fan of the original but if you're not sure, just go for the Tier 1 as that seems like a better value.

Btw, I've been playing Ai: The Somnium Files, from Uchikoshi(aka the 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors, Virtues Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma creator) and it is incredibly good. It seems to have the highest polish and budget of any of his games.

You are the first person to say anything positive about that game from 999s creator that I have read.  People have been pretty mixed at best about it since it's too similar to the other games and he has another one coming out I saw.

Fanatical is having a MoeNovel bundle. You can take an additional 15% with coupon code 15OFFMOE(it should be auto applied if you click through the link).

Tier 1 - $5.89($5.01 after coupon)

If My Heart Had Wings

Love Kami Divinity Stage

Love Kami Useless Goddess

Love Kami Healing Harem

A Sky Full of Stars

Cross Channel

Adventure of a Lifetime

Tier 2 - $13.49($11.47 after coupon)*includes Tier 1 items

If My Heart Had Wings Flight Diary

If My Heart Had Wings Flight Diary - New Wings: Akari DLC

Flight Diary is a fan disc that was released earlier this year. Worth it if you're a fan of the original but if you're not sure, just go for the Tier 1 as that seems like a better value.

Btw, I've been playing Ai: The Somnium Files, from Uchikoshi(aka the 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors, Virtues Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma creator) and it is incredibly good. It seems to have the highest polish and budget of any of his games.
Damn, that is one moe ass bundle indeed.

You are the first person to say anything positive about that game from 999s creator that I have read. People have been pretty mixed at best about it since it's too similar to the other games and he has another one coming out I saw.
I haven't played much since the physical version just came out yesterday. But it's ok so far. Extremely, extremely cliché setting and dialogs though.

bread's done
Back