Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sakura Wars bombed didn't it? Didn't help coming out around FF7R. I'll play my copy someday.
I think the major part was it being cringe and switching to the dynasty warriors musou like combat on top of iirc the original cast all being written off.

It's common knowledge as they put that info in the announcements for the game before it came out.  It isn't really important given you don't find out how
they died
just that they did inbetween the last entry and this one as an excuse for why they aren't in the games anymore.  I can't imagine people were happy they decided to reboot the series into another genre with a new cast. 

Also if you care about spoilers then obviously you should edit your own post and add spoiler tags to it.

It's common knowledge as they put that info in the announcements for the game before it came out. It isn't really important given you don't find out how
they died
just that they did inbetween the last entry and this one as an excuse for why they aren't in the games anymore. I can't imagine people were happy they decided to reboot the series into another genre with a new cast.

Also if you care about spoilers then obviously you should edit your own post and add spoiler tags to it.
Exactly what part of his post was a spoiler?

and switching to the dynasty warriors musou like combat on top of iirc the original cast all being written off.
The SRPG gameplay looked like more of an afterthought in the other games so the gameplay change didn't sway me much but I thought the art and overall style of the other games looked more interesting.

I feel like Sakura Wars is going to become the new Yakuza for me. I buy the first one and then I'm left holding my breath waiting to see if the sequels get localized.
I think the biggest deciding factor would be if they keep kubo or not. Since I doubt he's cheap even though he's not doing much since bleach ended.

I think the biggest deciding factor would be if they keep kubo or not. Since I doubt he's cheap even though he's not doing much since bleach ended.
I'm not very far in the game yet, but I think I read the game ends in a way that makes it obvious it's the beginning of a new series?

I hope they keep him, I like the character designs.

Arc of Alchemist is finally getting a PS4 physical release for the west. Just as the game was about to release to retail in the west as a PS4 exclusive, a Switch version came out in Japan with QOL adjustments that were also patched into the PS4 game. The release got pushed back further with Limited Run Games picking up the Switch version. The PS4 version has kinda been in limbo since they were going through a proper retail distribution channel and likely had contracts in place for release. It didn't seem that interesting based on the previews I saw but it's out there if you're collecting.

https://www.iffysonlinestore.com/AOA-PS4/

(Since it was a late 2018 release in Japan, a female character seen in preview images was given a shirt to comply with the then new content policies. There isn't an "Uncensored" version or whatever the anime avatar accounts on twitter want you to believe)

Has anyone ever pre-ordered anything from importcds before? Kind of want to place an order from them on the FFVII Remake Soundtrack that comes out in a week or two but not sure how reputable they are. The internet brings up quite mixed things

Has anyone ever pre-ordered anything from importcds before? Kind of want to place an order from them on the FFVII Remake Soundtrack that comes out in a week or two but not sure how reputable they are. The internet brings up quite mixed things
No, but depending on which version you want you can try amazon japan (https://www.amazon.co.jp/FINAL-FANTASY-REMAKE-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B0862DZ9DX/ref=tmm_acd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1590620336&sr=8-3) or pay a bit more than what it's being sold for @ square (though it's sold out/wait listed) https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Special-Version-Limited/dp/B0862FC3RT/ref=pd_lpo_15_t_0/142-7288640-3993157?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0862FC3RT&pd_rd_r=73ba1106-5f98-42b7-a497-e5aa2ad789ab&pd_rd_w=KVy4U&pd_rd_wg=DUsDs&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=NVMDA9TAE3SB4PBSYMKP&psc=1&refRID=NVMDA9TAE3SB4PBSYMKP

Just a reminder, the English localization of Moero Crystal H pre-orders are up at Play-Asia. Do note that free shipping on PA exclusives no longer applies starting with these releases, so you will need to pay for shipping. Discount of $3 off if you use code SWITCHMANIA during checkout.

Moero Crystal H [Limited Edition] $59.99

moero-crystal-h-limited-edition-629581.11.jpg

Moero Crystal H Standard Edition $39.99

moero-crystal-h-629565.1.jpg

I started child of light yesterday and before I knew it I put in seven and a half hours. I somewhat liked it minus being limited to one party member plus Aurora in battle.

But today I tried playing it and it repeatedly got stuck loading. Fourth time it wouldn't load past the start screen. So I have no choice but to drop it like the steaming pile of garbage it is. It's a real shame.

I'm a big supporter of dungeon crawlers, so this one should be up my alley. Thanks for the post. Time to add another P-A pre-order to my list. I just use them for Asian English releases and exclusives, but since that includes quite a few VNs, I've been using them an OK amount. I really don't care for the little keychain though. That is just super fluff haha.

I'm a big supporter of dungeon crawlers, so this one should be up my alley. Thanks for the post. Time to add another P-A pre-order to my list. I just use them for Asian English releases and exclusives, but since that includes quite a few VNs, I've been using them an OK amount. I really don't care for the little keychain though. That is just super fluff haha.
The keychains are just funny because they're actual Switch holders, so if anything, the novelty of it is just hilarious enough.

Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of Fujisawa $0.99 on eshop.

Anyone played it? 

At first I assumed it had to at least be worth $1.  But then I saw the top amz review saying: "Our World is Ended is much better."

..that happens to be a game I would call the worst VN I've ever played (admittedly only ~15 total).

Huh, there sure have been a lot of titles getting these $0.99 (or around there) sale prices. I wonder if that strategy is actually working in sales numbers to make up for the significant discount...

Oooof, thanks for the warning about the musou gameplay. I was being dumb and not even looking into before I almost bought it. Crisis averted.

Has anyone had luck getting the PS4 version of Utawarerumouno: Prelude to the Fallen? Amazon has it as unavailable, my order from BestBuy was "shipped" a week ago and hasn't made it to UPS yet.

Has anyone had luck getting the PS4 version of Utawarerumouno: Prelude to the Fallen? Amazon has it as unavailable, my order from BestBuy was "shipped" a week ago and hasn't made it to UPS yet.
Not the greatest website to buy from, but instock here at msrp + fs

Another game (and series) I need to get to. I feel behind after spending so much time on P5R. Will probably wait for it to drop a bit on psn since I own the other two digitially as well.

Another game (and series) I need to get to. I feel behind after spending so much time on P5R. Will probably wait for it to drop a bit on psn since I own the other two digitially as well.
Doesn't look like the stores near me have any copies; honestly not sure if the stores near me are even open. If they did I'd consider it but ordering it online would just result in me waiting for two separate sites to ship my game and I'd rather not spend my time watching a logistics turtle race. Appreciate the response regardless - don't mean to come off as rude.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the PC version when I played it a few years ago. Just couldn't finish it because I really don't enjoy playing on PC. Also wanted to support NIS since I absolutely didn't expect this to get a port/localization.

My Utwarerumono coming Monday from BB. I'm finally ready to play that series so waiting exciting for it.
My copy's also scheduled to arrive Monday according to BestBuy. UPS doesn't have a date (obviously, since they don't have the item) so I'm pretty skeptical about my copy. It might just be regional, as I have issues like this with BestBuy pretty frequently - the only orders I still have with them are my last GCU pre-orders. I was hoping to play it this weekend, but barring divine intervention that seems unlikely.

vgplus has it for slightly cheaper than that due to currency conversion but I don't know if they have free shipping. https://www.videogamesplus.ca/utawarerumono-prelude-the-fallen-origins-edition-ps4-p-26615.html

Agreed on the waiting thing as I'm sure it will drop to dirt cheap if the other 2 games are any comparison. I might snag it physically this time around since physical copies dropped really cheap last year for the other 2. I kick myself for getting them when they were 12.50 each since they've been that much together digitally on psn iirc.

vgplus has it for slightly cheaper than that due to currency conversion but I don't know if they have free shipping. https://www.videogamesplus.ca/utawarerumono-prelude-the-fallen-origins-edition-ps4-p-26615.html

Agreed on the waiting thing as I'm sure it will drop to dirt cheap if the other 2 games are any comparison. I might snag it physically this time around since physical copies dropped really cheap last year for the other 2. I kick myself for getting them when they were 12.50 each since they've been that much together digitally on psn iirc.
It has a difference publisher than the other 2 games. We seen NISA games like Ys VIII and likely Disaster Report 4 just disappear.

It has a difference publisher than the other 2 games. We seen NISA games like Ys VIII and likely Disaster Report 4 just disappear.
True I didn't think of that part. Granted a bunch of titles lately haven't dropped in price from various publishers. DQ11 (switch) and octopath traveler come to mind.

For anyone interested in physical PS4 copy of Atelier Ryza, deepdiscount are selling some for 40 bucks, these are out of print so don't expect to find any out in the wild at this price point.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

For anyone interested in physical PS4 copy of Atelier Ryza, deepdiscount are selling some for 40 bucks, these are out of print so don't expect to find any out in the wild at this price point.
Thanks for posting. It actually looks like amazon directly has new $59 copies, so maybe it was reprinted?

Edit: Showing Qty: 50 on amz for me. I went ahead and reported the lower price on DD to amazon hoping they'll adjust it.

Sakura Wars bombed didn't it? Didn't help coming out around FF7R. I'll play my copy someday.
It probably didn't do too well sales wise but I don't think anyone is surprised about that. On the topic of the game though I think it's incredibly polished with clean looking environments and characters. The characters really exhibit a lot of emotion when they move, sometimes it may seem a bit too much but I think it's part of the charm. Their animation and especially facial animation is great.

I was disappointed they moved away from the turn based combat, but after getting some time in with the new musou combat, it's not too bad. Each character controls differently and you can swap between a partner during battle, and the one you're not controlling will attack on their own but at half damage.

And yes the original cast is not playable in this game but I don't get why people expected that in the first place. The last game we got was Sakura Wars V on the PS2 and Wii and that game was a completely new cast of characters, you only saw Sakura and Ogami for the first 5 minutes. This new cast is really likeable and all of them have a really cute side. Kamiyama is a man's man.

My copy of Xenoblade DE says it was delivered yesterday by fedex but I can't find it. Did it get misdelivered? Did someone steal it? (T_T)

I'm finally getting into Fire Emblem 3 Houses. It took awhile for me to get into the groove of it because the monastery sections felt like a total drag. But I'm getting used to it now. Do you guys think the season pass is worth a buy? It'll never go on sale right? Trying to decide if I should just buy it now so I can get the bonuses for my first playthrough.

My copy of Xenoblade DE says it was delivered yesterday by fedex but I can't find it. Did it get misdelivered? Did someone steal it? (T_T)

I'm finally getting into Fire Emblem 3 Houses. It took awhile for me to get into the groove of it because the monastery sections felt like a total drag. But I'm getting used to it now. Do you guys think the season pass is worth a buy? It'll never go on sale right? Trying to decide if I should just buy it now so I can get the bonuses for my first playthrough.
Ouch, sorry to hear about your Xenoblade. My Works Set is scheduled to be delivered today. I've had many instances where a neighbor ends up re-delivering a package, so maybe?

After multiple playthroughs of FE3H I still feel like the monastery sections are a drag, haha. Feels like a chore to have to go garden and then run around finding the lost items (while dealing with a tiny draw distance and waiting behind doors to load). But it's probably because I play a lot of kiseki and persona and end up comparing the monastery environment to those other games.

So in regard to the season pass, I own it and can say the only noteworthy thing for me was the Cindered Shadows side-story. The story itself is okay, even above average I guess in comparison to the rest of FE3H. I probably appreciated the new music and voicework the most. The main advantage in gameplay is that completing the sidestory gives you several new characters that you can add to the main game. The new characters are really solid.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully it shows up soon :)

I've seen the season pass for Mario & Rabbids on sale, so there's a chance, but that title is 3rd party. I'm not sure if any of Nintendo's 1st party season passes (BotW, other FE games etc) have ever been on sale.

ima grab xeno at target today.

also my momohime figure came in from ebay https://i.imgur.com/dpCk2tg.jpg
Nice! I've always like those 3 Muramasa figures as I really like the art style

Does Play-Asia offer free shipping in any way? My brother asked me to pick up a copy of FFVII+VIII double pack on NS and they want $11 for shipping which... I'm honestly not sure if it's fair or not since I haven't purchased from them in years. 

Does Play-Asia offer free shipping in any way? My brother asked me to pick up a copy of FFVII+VIII double pack on NS and they want $11 for shipping which... I'm honestly not sure if it's fair or not since I haven't purchased from them in years.
Until recently they offered it for their PLAY exclusives, but they stopped with Moero Crystal. For standard items it's been years since I've seen free shipping, best you'll be able to do is a $5 off $60 coupon or a 5% discount code. If you don't have a $5 off code shoot me a DM, I have an extra.

Until recently they offered it for their PLAY exclusives, but they stopped with Moero Crystal. For standard items it's been years since I've seen free shipping, best you'll be able to do is a $5 off $60 coupon or a 5% discount code. If you don't have a $5 off code shoot me a DM, I have an extra.
Very kind of you, but the game is only $55 so that won't work (and really don't want to add more since it's not even for me). I found a $3 coupon by Googling, better than nothing.

Very kind of you, but the game is only $55 so that won't work (and really don't want to add more since it's not even for me). I found a $3 coupon by Googling, better than nothing.
No problem! A lot of their stuff gets listed between $55 and $59.99, part of me wonders if it's intentional. There have been several times where I've personally been a few bucks under the threshold and had to settle on a lesser code as well.

It probably didn't do too well sales wise but I don't think anyone is surprised about that.
No, it really bomba'd. Sega financial report said it performed very poorly compared to their expectations.

And yes the original cast is not playable in this game but I don't get why people expected that in the first place. The last game we got was Sakura Wars V on the PS2 and Wii and that game was a completely new cast of characters, you only saw Sakura and Ogami for the first 5 minutes. This new cast is really likeable and all of them have a really cute side. Kamiyama is a man's man.
A lot of the favoritism for the original cast isn't just entrenched in the games. The Sakura Wars anime series was released in the West and so many people know about them through that and it became a starting point in learning more about the series and its gaming history.

Any import arcade collections any one recommends? Or import retro console collections? Oh for Nintendo switch that is.

I have all the American ones I want and I've seen some import ones but I didn't know of any that were good.

I'm guessing the 5% codes are unique like the $5 off ones?

I'm guessing the 5% codes are unique like the $5 off ones?
The 5% off codes are all partner promo codes. Blue Maxima (a YouTuber) has one, Censored Gaming (another YouTube channel) has one, there are probably a lot more. The one I've always used was "NPE". No clue who/what it's from, but it gave a flat $3 off for a while before becoming a 5% coupon.

Might be worth checking Amazon. I've seen third party sellers there selling it for $60 and fulfilled by Amazon with free shipping(not sure about that if you don't have prime though)

Might be worth checking Amazon. I've seen third party sellers there selling it for $60 and fulfilled by Amazon with free shipping(not sure about that if you don't have prime though)
Shop4megastore has it for $56 with free shipping AND no tax, there's paypal as safety net too.

Thanks for this, I made my order yesterday morning and just got my shipping confirmation. Probably the best deal I was going to find for Ryza.

The 5% off codes are all partner promo codes. Blue Maxima (a YouTuber) has one, Censored Gaming (another YouTube channel) has one, there are probably a lot more. The one I've always used was "NPE". No clue who/what it's from, but it gave a flat $3 off for a while before becoming a 5% coupon.
Sweet thanks

bread's done
Back