Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
So anyone else get a bunch of delayed emails from amazon for their preordered games?  I got one for paper mario and one for arise. Arise wasn't coming out this year anyway so it's not surprising they didn't even put in a place holder date for when that will ship.  But paper mario they won't get out to me till the 28th-31st. 

I find that odd. I own some of the dlc on my (digital) japanese version of Future Tone, and play it just fine on my US account. I'll try to look into it
I figured out my problem. This is kind of embarrassing, but... So, I always play on extreme difficulty. I loaded the game, and I see 238 songs available. I then started the game up on my JP account, and it has 248 songs. Obviously, that means something's wrong. So here I am deleting the game and reinstalling it, redownloading updates, checking forums... It turns out that I just forgot to check the other difficulties, since you have to beat a song on hard first to unlock it on extreme.

To make matters worse, I knew that already, because I was playing the dlc songs on my JP account on hard the other day to unlock extreme. I just didn't think until last night to check that on my US save. It's like one of those puzzles where you come up with some needlessly complicated solution and lose sight of how simple it really is.

Hey all, heads up for Kancolle fans, or just anybody interested in a cute chibi figure for an amazing price.

I just got mine, and it's adorable, but most importantly, it's only $8, and Prime eligible. I can confirm that this is also authentic, so for those wondering if this price is too good to be true, it's not.

Here are some pics of what I just received,
ffFxspIl.jpg

CLmVFctl.jpg

pwYWFTsl.jpg

FsVlYS1l.jpg

Here's the link,

link here

Hope this will be of interest to some of you who are Kancolle fans, and want a cute mini figure for an fantastic price.

Yeah, now that I have it in hand, it really is damn cute, and I'm afraid now I need more Medicchus too, lol.

But really, this one for the price is rather a no brainer for me.

FYi, only 3 left, as there was 11 when I posted earlier.

If anybody still interested, I'd recommend pulling the trigger sooner rather than later.

So anyone else get a bunch of delayed emails from amazon for their preordered games? I got one for paper mario and one for arise. Arise wasn't coming out this year anyway so it's not surprising they didn't even put in a place holder date for when that will ship. But paper mario they won't get out to me till the 28th-31st.
When sakura wars came out, amazon took 2 whole weeks to ship me the game. After that I decided to put my preorders in at walmart. Walmart is still doing release day shipping through covid.

I figured out my problem. This is kind of embarrassing, but... So, I always play on extreme difficulty. I loaded the game, and I see 238 songs available. I then started the game up on my JP account, and it has 248 songs. Obviously, that means something's wrong. So here I am deleting the game and reinstalling it, redownloading updates, checking forums... It turns out that I just forgot to check the other difficulties, since you have to beat a song on hard first to unlock it on extreme.

To make matters worse, I knew that already, because I was playing the dlc songs on my JP account on hard the other day to unlock extreme. I just didn't think until last night to check that on my US save. It's like one of those puzzles where you come up with some needlessly complicated solution and lose sight of how simple it really is.
LOL that's funny. Glad you got it working!

Mangagamer had 2 announcements recently. NSFW vndb link.

Jeanne at the Clock Tower from Liarsoft

Steam Prison Fin Route DLC

Honestly not sure i'd get either.

Also Mangagamer just released Nyan Café Macchiato ~Sexy Times at the Cat Café~ . Their next game is Room no 9 coming out August 6th. BL games need to be extremely special for me to play them, so that's an easy pass.

Denpasoft had announcements from Kurocon 2020. Link for blog (NSFW)

Harumade KururuLove's Sweet Garnish 2The Ditzy Demons Are in Love With Me - Fan Disk, and Island Diary are set for 2020 releases. Island Diary in particular is set for Winter 2020. Nekopara 4 is currently being aimed at for a November 2020 release.

Hoshizora no Memoria HD/Hoshizora no Memoria Eternal Heart HD are coming. It's a free update for owners of Hoshizora no Memoria. I wonder how that retranslation is going? Wont play the game till that's out.

Denpasoft new announcements:

9-nine-: Episode 4

KARAKARA3

Slobbish Dragon Princess

Shohei's Adult Streaming Channel

I need to read the 9-nine series, but they look good. I also need to play KARAKARA series. Slobbish Dragon Princess is from the NEKO-NIN exHeart series (which I bought in the recent Steam sale), so yet another series to play. These are okay though nothing too crazy announcements. 9-nine episode 4 is likely a must buy.

Finally finally FINALLY Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin is releasing this year! Unless it gets delayed, again.

https://www.siliconera.com/sakuna-of-rice-and-ruin-physical-copies-will-arrive-in-2020/

Base game will be $39.99, while the Divine Edition will be $59.99. Available through Xseed's store and "select retailers."

Side note: I asked Xseed over a month ago if Kandagawa Jet Girls would be available at Best Buy, and after a week of not hearing back, they said yes. However, it still hasn't appeared on BB's website and Xseed's recent tweet about it only listed their store, Amazon, and Gamestop. So, I wouldn't get your hopes up for Sakuna being at Best Buy, either. There must be some issues between them or something.

Pretty much the same here.

The reason I don't play PC games is I sit at a pc most of the day at work, the last thing I want to do when I get home is sit at another PC and mess around with it to get games running optimally.

Plus, go price a current or even 1 year old video card. It doesn't make any financial sense to me either. Maybe when I retire and no longer sit at a desk I'll be more interested in PC gaming.
So much this. I came here on the Atari 2600, so PS4 graphics do nicely. And, I just played Arc the Lad (PS1) from my backlog. So I have enough for the rest of this lifetime.

I have $10 in Amazon credit expiring after tomorrow, anyone have any recommendation on currently running Amazon deals on good Japanese games? I’m drawing a total blank on what I might actually want right now. Caveat: has to be shipped and sold by Amazon, so older obscure games (which is mostly what I’ve been thinking of, naturally) are probably out.

Can’t be digital or a gift card, either, unfortunately.

Monster hunter ps4 is 14.99 I think.  Indivisible ps4 is 19.99, dq 11 ps4 is 19.99.  One of those might be worth picking up.  Though personally I would say if you can't think of anything to buy right now then to use it for a preorder.

My haul from the gamestop 50% off sale
I was planning on skipping this one but noticed several used titles that weren't instock last time during the similar <29.99 sale. Ordered:
$9 :ps4: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered
$9 :ps4: Tetris Effect
$9 :xb1: Code Vein
$9 :switch: Katamari Damacy Reroll
$6.50 :switch: Travis Strikes Again - No More Heroes

Nothing's catching my attention that I don't already own, and as for pre-orders I honestly don't even know what's upcoming offhand, but please keep the suggestions coming if you can, they're helpful. It's really astonishing how few things I need or want on Amazon are actually sold by Amazon themselves.

That said, I might be leaning into the Art of Mana book at $25.75 right now. I know this isn't the artbook thread, but does anyone have any familiarity with Dark Horse's artbook quality?

That said, I might be leaning into the Art of Mana book at $25.75 right now. I know this isn't the artbook thread, but does anyone have any familiarity with Dark Horse's artbook quality?
The quality is good, but my preorder copy was $25.67.

Preorder EDF5? Robotic;notes?

Atelier Ryza? Dragon Quest Builder 2?

Wasn't sure whether to post in the LRG thread or here, but has anyone heard anything recently about the Switch release of the "House of Fata Morgana?" I swear it was announced by the publisher a while back but I have not heard anything since. I assume the current state of affairs has delayed the process but just wanted to be certain that it was not cancelled altogether.

does anyone have any familiarity with Dark Horse's artbook quality?
I'm not really an artbook collector, but my FE:Awakening hardcover by Dark Horse is really nice.

The only other book I remember buying during the recent gen is the giant botw deluxe piggyback guide.

I was planning on skipping this one but noticed several used titles that weren't instock last time during the similar <29.99 sale. Ordered:
$9 :ps4: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered
$9 :ps4: Tetris Effect
$9 :xb1: Code Vein
$9 :switch: Katamari Damacy Reroll
$6.50 :switch: Travis Strikes Again - No More Heroes
son of a if I had seen tetris effect I would have gotten that ;_;

Funny story now, though at the time, was fairly angry story.

I went out to get my package earlier, and I noticed that the package was in a plastic bag for some reason. I've never seen a package shipped with a plastic bag on the outside loose like that, sometimes seen it wrapped around tightly outside of the package, but not just loose.

As I got closer, the box looked wet all over. The postman told me a box of hand sanitizer exploded onto my box along with a ton of others, and unfortunately, this was the best they could do, and to call them if there's an issue.

Luckily, the way the person packaged everything, all the contents were towards the center of the box, rather than touching the side, so looks like I avoided any major damage, albeit, all the contents smells like hand sanitizer now...
TmjBkPe.jpg

Funny story now, though at the time, was fairly angry story.

I went out to get my package earlier, and I noticed that the package was in a plastic bag for some reason. I've never seen a package shipped with a plastic bag on the outside loose like that, sometimes seen it wrapped around tightly outside of the package, but not just loose.

As I got closer, the box looked wet all over. The postman told me a box of hand sanitizer exploded onto my box along with a ton of others, and unfortunately, this was the best they could do, and to call them if there's an issue.

Luckily, the way the person packaged everything, all the contents were towards the center of the box, rather than touching the side, so looks like I avoided any major damage, albeit, all the contents smells like hand sanitizer now...
Covid-free delivery. So thoughtful of them.

They really do care.
Sadly, every package I have received like that always end the same way, with the contents damaged, as I get about 1 package like that per year on average. Normally damaged by rain on a loading dock someplace, then put in a plastic bag with USPS's "better luck next time" letter included as the final cherry on top!

Ok probably not the place to discuss it but I figured here would be as good as anywhere.   If I was to do online selling what would be the best place to list them on.  One poster happened to mention in another thread regardless to require a signature on the package. And I likely would want whatever insurance option.  But I noticed some of the games in my collection go for between 80-300 bucks complete/new and sealed.  And I'd probably rather have the money than keep some of them for replays down the road and what not.  Outside pokemon, fire emblem and paper mario anyway.

Ok probably not the place to discuss it but I figured here would be as good as anywhere. If I was to do online selling what would be the best place to list them on. One poster happened to mention in another thread regardless to require a signature on the package. And I likely would want whatever insurance option. But I noticed some of the games in my collection go for between 80-300 bucks complete/new and sealed. And I'd probably rather have the money than keep some of them for replays down the road and what not. Outside pokemon, fire emblem and paper mario anyway.
Forums have always been a great place to be honest, but if you want more activity, I'd say give Resetera a try, assuming you have an account there, as it's more active now ever since the lockdown, so you'll probably get bites fairly quickly.

Are you in any Discord groups, Twitter groups, or other online social spaces that have trading too? Might be a good option as well.

Of course, eBay is another option, but it will be hit or miss with the way it's set up nowadays for sellers.

And of course, if at all possible, try to get it friends and family if possible, but if it's a buyer you don't know as well, regular payment will be the case for the vast majority of them.

I was surprised to see that amazon still has xenoblade chronicles definitive edition definitive works available.

They also have a used-acceptable at amazon warehouse for cheaper though you might not want that if you want it for your collection.

I've sold a ton of games on eBay since quarantine started. They sell easily, but don't underestimate your monthly eBay bill :(

Don't underprice your shipping fees and don't feel bad about listing slightly higher than your desired prices to offset the 10% sell fee. Everyone's doing it.

Nothing's stopping you from listing slightly higher on eBay AND listing at an appropriate price on facebook groups.

Take GOOD PICTURES, show every smushed corner, slight rips, scratches, etc. And even with the smoothest transactions you'll still have to beg for positive reviews two three weeks later :(

The Japanese Nintendo Direct Mini ended up being WAY better than the American one. Along with Cadence of Hyrule DLC and the two MegaTen announcements, it featured trailers for Sakuna and Atelier Ryza 2, as well as mentions of Fairy Tail and Captain Tsubasa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t57NnJAao0A

Nintendo's website is listing Sakuna with a November 10th release date:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/sakuna-of-rice-and-ruin-switch/

Atelier Ryza 2 should launch worldwide this winter:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/atelier-ryza-2-lost-legends-the-secret-fairy-announced-for-ps4-switch-and-pc

Ryza is also now on sale ($36) on steam.

Way more dlc for this title than I realized. Any of it worthwhile?
I'd like to know that, as well. The season pass finally went on sale on Switch (but only down to 44 from 55), though I'm only interested in the character stories (which aren't even voiced). Are any of the side stories worth the price? Or should I just watch them on Youtube?

Nocturne finally getting a remaster. Been waiting forever. I'm More excited about that's than SMT 5, I think. Especially since it's not a Switch exclusive.

Nocturne finally getting a remaster. Been waiting forever. I'm More excited about that's than SMT 5, I think. Especially since it's not a Switch exclusive.
Yeah, I was about 4 or 5 hours into my playthrough on PS3 before I got sidetracked by other games and I never ended up getting back to it. Guess I will just get the remaster instead now lol. Can't wait.

Oh? When and where was this confirmed? I normally collect for PS4 but I'd be torn here. I think I would want SMT3 on the same platform as SMT5, which looks like an Switch exclusive.
SMT5 is Switch exclusive, Nocturne is coming for Switch/PS4. Pretty much every news site is reporting it this way, e.g. Crunchyroll.

I'm slightly torn on not getting it on Switch, but given 3 out of 4 sets of my Joycons drift, I will probably buy it for PS4.

Anime Gaming Fans, Don't Miss This!
©BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc. cordially invites you for a unique visit behind the curtain...

Join us on Wednesday, July 22nd at 4:00 pm PDT via TWITCH for PLAY ANIME® LIVE! A livestream for the anime and gaming communities! We’ll have lots of cool prizes to give away, along with news and updates from some of your favorite anime games!

Learn More About:

Your Favorite Console, PC & Mobile Anime Titles
View Trailers
Developer Q&As
Latest Video Game News
Prize Giveaways
And Lots More!
Featured Game Updates:
Scarlet Nexus
Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker
Captain Tsubasa
My Hero One’s Justice 2
One Piece Pirate Warriors 4

Man that's some cringe crunchyroll. But I do appreciate hearing that new scarlet nexus stuff will be up.

Anime Gaming Fans, Don't Miss This!
©BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc. cordially invites you for a unique visit behind the curtain...

Join us on Wednesday, July 22nd at 4:00 pm PDT via TWITCH for PLAY ANIME® LIVE! A livestream for the anime and gaming communities! We’ll have lots of cool prizes to give away, along with news and updates from some of your favorite anime games!

Learn More About:

Your Favorite Console, PC & Mobile Anime Titles
View Trailers
Developer Q&As
Latest Video Game News
Prize Giveaways
And Lots More!
Featured Game Updates:
Scarlet Nexus
Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker
Captain Tsubasa
My Hero One’s Justice 2
One Piece Pirate Warriors 4

Man that's some cringe crunchyroll. But I do appreciate hearing that new scarlet nexus stuff will be up.
In for some Scarlet Nexus news. Will be praying for a remaster of the original 4 .hack games.

Let me dream.

bread's done
Back