Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
My physical July purchases were this cool little flashlight and a neat carabiner multitool that I can actually take on flights.

Also picked up the Nurse Love games and Ska Studios catalog on Steam.

Had my eye on a couple of games on clearance.  Both of these dropped $10 to ~$30 each recently.  In addition GS has new a promo where they give you a $10 cert after a $60 purchase made this week. For me that will be a $10 steam card.

[attachment=34385:20200802_123756.jpg]

https://twitter.com/Squarehard/status/1290047781558603776

If anybody just need to use their monthly $5 on something and can't find anything else in a particular month, these are a fun option, assuming your store(s) have them in stock as it's sort of hit or miss.

Never seen the anime but Fairy Tale ain't bad so far. It's basically just a generic Gust game that happens to feature Fairy Tale characters lol.

Also happy national boob day: 

fairy-tale-national-boob-day.gif

anyone have experience with Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded?  $17 on MX eshop.

I know nothing of the source material but looks to be well reviewed and possibly a decent experience on handheld.

It's a mystery dungeon crawler (Shiren, Curry God, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Omega Labyrinth). If you like those, they're great on handheld. No real benefit playing them on a big screen tbh.

It's a mystery dungeon crawler (Shiren, Curry God, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Omega Labyrinth). If you like those, they're great on handheld. No real benefit playing them on a big screen tbh.
Thanks. Sounds like i should try out Shiren (backlogged on vita) beforehand. If i'm understanding correctly, these kind of games are a different sub genre than stuff i've played that first came to mind (mary skelter, dungeon travelers 2, demon gaze).

Thanks. Sounds like i should try out Shiren (backlogged on vita) beforehand. If i'm understanding correctly, these kind of games are a different sub genre than stuff i've played that first came to mind (mary skelter, dungeon travelers 2, demon gaze).
Correct. I like the first person dungeon crawlers (Etrian Odyssey, Dungeon Travelers, Demon Gaze) a lot more than mystery dungeon crawlers (Shiren, Etrian Mystery Dungeon, Chocobo Dungeon).

Though I like the old school rogue-likes. The real ones. Like Angband.

Angband.png

I'm not sure why I like rogue-likes and not mystery dungeons, tbh.

I don't mind mystery dungeon games. Azure Dreams was my thing back in the day. Also enjoy Shiren though never got close to beating it. I'm more for dungeon crawlers myself. I will die on the cliff that says Dungeon Travelers 2 was one of the better Vita games and a fine dungeon crawler. My rouge like that I played to death was ADOM. Also played a good amount of Nethack. They were free and the system requirements to play them were nothing.

I was taking part in an rpg quiz and I can't remember what pokemon game past gen 1 a named character had the quote I like shorts their comfy and easy to wear.  Since gen 1 didn't have names for the trainers. 

Double post, but different topic. Played about 4 hours of Fairy Tail yesterday.

It's......... very ok. The CG voiced scenes are pretty nice if you're already a fan of the source material.

There's some really questionable choices, like there being a very small amount of human models walking around the city. So you see 3+ identical NPCs walking around everywhere.

In some scenes, the weird shading they use makes the character look really odd. Happy looks like a plastic figure with part of his head melted in one scene. It's very odd.

So far, everything's pretty much been errands and fetch quests. A little annoying that I can only take on one request at a time, even if they're in the same area.

The missus, who's been playing Atelier Sophie, asked if they put the B team on it.

I'm still going to play it, and the missus will too (since she's the bigger Fairy Tail fan). But I guess if you haven't bought it and started it, you're probably not a big enough of a fan of the source to really play this over even the Atelier games.

Double post, but different topic. Played about 4 hours of Fairy Tail yesterday.

It's......... very ok. The CG voiced scenes are pretty nice if you're already a fan of the source material.

There's some really questionable choices, like there being a very small amount of human models walking around the city. So you see 3+ identical NPCs walking around everywhere.

In some scenes, the weird shading they use makes the character look really odd. Happy looks like a plastic figure with part of his head melted in one scene. It's very odd.

So far, everything's pretty much been errands and fetch quests. A little annoying that I can only take on one request at a time, even if they're in the same area.

The missus, who's been playing Atelier Sophie, asked if they put the B team on it.

I'm still going to play it, and the missus will too (since she's the bigger Fairy Tail fan). But I guess if you haven't bought it and started it, you're probably not a big enough of a fan of the source to really play this over even the Atelier games.
I don't know if the entire b team is in there but Juvia is playable I saw someone post elsewhere. Oddest addition is Men~ is playable from blue pegasus which just feels weird. Ichiya I think is his name.

People have been saying its atelier with a fairy tail skin.

I don't know if the entire b team is in there but Juvia is playable I saw someone post elsewhere. Oddest addition is Men~ is playable from blue pegasus which just feels weird. Ichiya I think is his name.

People have been saying its atelier with a fairy tail skin.
The Gust B team, not the Fairy Tail B team. Considering Juvia is usable pretty early on, Fairy Tail B team is playable. Pretty sure Gajeel is also playable.

Finished my first playthrough of Utawarerumono Prelude, Deception, and Truth.  Enjoyed them more than I had expected.  I would rank them as my second-favorite VN experience so far, only behind the original Steins;Gate.   Great artwork and music all around.

I consider them chiefly a VN since the strategy battle sequences are so casual.  Basically a VN with a battle mechanic rather than route mechanics or whatever you want to call what most VN's have.  Battles are very unpolished in Prelude but develop significantly by Truth.

That said, the biggest points of dragging in the series for me was also in Truth where
I'm fighting the same three yatanawarabe npc's for ~five consecutive battles.  Oh and, Touka, Munechika, Kuon best girls.  Hey, this series openly encourages you to have multiple.

I think starting with Prelude and playing them in order definitely helps the player's appreciation of the characters and the unfolding of the plotline.  Sadly this wasn't very accessible to NA players.  I even recently picked up Zan.  I don't have lofty expectations for it but decided that I am now big enough of a fan to own physically copy while they're still available.

prelude I'm not certain is that important outside of returning characters in mask of decepticons and whatever references it had.  I watched the anime before playing the games so I have some knowledge of things but that didn't all translate into the games since they altered some important stuff including the multiple characters that were killed off in the anime are kept alive in the games which was cool. 

Lost Ruins Kickstarter (ongoing with initial funding goal met)

https://youtu.be/21WAznVgSTI

Really cool retro inspired game that draws from Castlevania, Shantae, Bloodstained CotM and even Higurashi When They Cry.

Will be released on PC (including DRM-free option), Switch, PS4 and Xbox.

Finally getting around to playing my $32 copy of Sakura Wars.  Played through the end of the 1st chapter.  ...Didn't like it.  But I have no experience with any of the past Sakura Wars material.  Anyone feel like it's worth sticking through the game?  Is the first chapter pretty representative of the whole?  Thinking of getting rid of the disc to break even.

Finally getting around to playing my $32 copy of Sakura Wars. Played through the end of the 1st chapter. ...Didn't like it. But I have no experience with any of the past Sakura Wars material. Anyone feel like it's worth sticking through the game? Is the first chapter pretty representative of the whole? Thinking of getting rid of the disc to break even.
yea the new Sakura Wars is pretty meh, very repetitive in addition to a pretty forgettable cast. If u dont like it after the first chapter, the rest of the game probably wont change your mind.

Finally getting around to playing my $32 copy of Sakura Wars. Played through the end of the 1st chapter. ...Didn't like it. But I have no experience with any of the past Sakura Wars material. Anyone feel like it's worth sticking through the game? Is the first chapter pretty representative of the whole? Thinking of getting rid of the disc to break even.
I’m probably going to get some people riled up, but the entire appeal of Sakura Wars in the first place was the combination of a “real game” with dating sim elements—it was probably the first game to get any hype that did that. The gameplay was never good, even for the time it came out, and the dating elements were fairly generic, though the setting was unusual and the characters could be likeable.

I haven’t played most of them, but I feel like the series probably never really improved from there—while the gameplay may have evolved, it’s never matched contemporary games in the same genre, and even as recently as the PS2/Wii one, I think it was more popular for sticking to its setting, as well as its 90s-style characterization and storytelling, than for being a particularly good game.

This latest one ditches almost all of that in favor of a modern generic moe characterization and aesthetic, making it stand out even less.

I played through it and really enjoyed it, but the main appeal is going to be the dating sim elements and story. The combat is okay, but nothing above average. It's a nice change of pace when it shows up once in awhile, but it's a fairly minor part of the game. The majority of the game is walking around and talking to people and making dialog choices.

If you're not interested in the characters/story it's probably not worth playing through.

Thanks for the feedback. Just a weird situation where i was expecting to like it a lot more than i actually did. Had no fondness for the characters, music, or combat. Might give it another shot down the road if it makes it to pc.

It's because this remake whatever is based off the jpn version after the original license expired that had raidou instead of dante iirc reading.
Moreover, they're most likely charging for Dante to make up for the licensing fee they need to once again pay to Capcom to put Dante back in the game, since the license expired years ago.

Its weird that they're making him DLC when he was in the original game
It's weird that people are so up in arms about this.

In the original version, Dante wasn't in it. In the second version (what the US got), Dante was in it as a guest character. In the third version, Dante was replaced by another SMT character (Raidou).

But people treat the Dante version as definitive?

the grand magic games segment fell pretty flat for me. just seemed like they were cheaply trying recreate a TV show structure which really doesn't work in this game...

also i thought this shit was hilarious they give you a diagram to explain the time travel elements

fairy-tail-time-travel-diagram.jpg

It's weird that people are so up in arms about this.

In the original version, Dante wasn't in it. In the second version (what the US got), Dante was in it as a guest character. In the third version, Dante was replaced by another SMT character (Raidou).

But people treat the Dante version as definitive?
It’s because DMC fanboys want to hop on Dante’s dick however they can get it.

Collection update, mainly just new figures, and a new display shelf as a result of all the new figures.

https://twitter.com/Squarehard/status/1293967519154204673

So I discovered you can skip all battle animations in Fairy Tail and so now I can't help but do that.

Fast forward is the death of turn based.

bread's done
Back