Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
May have hit a jackpot: was browsing Bestbuy site and came across Disaster Report 4 for the PS4 available at one of the local stores. Debating on whether if I should pick it up, considering how bonker OOP NISA games are going for on the after market.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

May have hit a jackpot: was browsing Bestbuy site and came across Disaster Report 4 for the PS4 available at one of the local stores. Debating on whether if I should pick it up, considering how bonker OOP NISA games are going for on the after market.

I fully passed on DR4 because of its very poor reviews and my only marginal interest. That said, if you have a limited chance to get it, go ahead and see if you get buyers remorse. Unless you’re like my wife who never ever returns anything, then I guess you do have to make a choice right away.

Separate topic, did anyone get the Thor’s duffel bag and can attest to its quality / useability?

Thanks for mentioning this. Had never heard of the game but I looked it up and it looks cool as hell. Even with the subpar reviews it seems to be getting it looks right up my alley. I guess the game is rare as I can't seem to find it for playstation available anywhere (I found the switch version near me but mehhh switch). Will likely watch for a digital sale and pick it up

I know Gamefly includes original case but does anyone know if you buy used from Gamefly if they include the outer box/sleeve and bonuses for editions that came with them? Considering buying a game that only came in a launch edition with an outer cardboard box and bonuses (Little Town Hero). Would be a good price if it came complete with outer box but a just okay price if it was just case and game.

I know Gamefly includes original case but does anyone know if you buy used from Gamefly if they include the outer box/sleeve and bonuses for editions that came with them? Considering buying a game that only came in a launch edition with an outer cardboard box and bonuses (Little Town Hero). Would be a good price if it came complete with outer box but a just okay price if it was just case and game.
I don't know about extra stuff but in my experience the games always come with everything else. dlc, case art and original cases. I've never ordered anything from them that had stuff like an outer box (project xzone conception 2 )

If it includes extras then it should come with it.

Thanks for mentioning this. Had never heard of the game but I looked it up and it looks cool as hell. Even with the subpar reviews it seems to be getting it looks right up my alley. I guess the game is rare as I can't seem to find it for playstation available anywhere (I found the switch version near me but mehhh switch). Will likely watch for a digital sale and pick it up
Not sure about psn, but there is a demo for the switch version. That's what made me decide to preorder the switch version... but maybe it would help see if you even like the game before throwing money at it. Check psn as well for a demo.

Went to pickup Disaster Report 4 at BBY, saw TMS FE $40 and TOCS 3 (PS4) marked down to $19 (still $42 online). TOCS 3 is a clearance so ymmv on whether how far each local BBY will mark it down.
8b8ea298dc841fe2027b8c8c406d7d5c.jpg
edb5741877e5ec8b240e73f33bc89476.jpg

Went to pickup Disaster Report 4 at BBY, saw TMS FE $40 and TOCS 3 (PS4) marked down to $19 (still $42 online). TOCS 3 is a clearance so ymmv on whether how far each local BBY will mark it down.
8b8ea298dc841fe2027b8c8c406d7d5c.jpg
edb5741877e5ec8b240e73f33bc89476.jpg

Did that markdown on TMS just happen today? Shows normal price on website.

Catherine Full Body PS4 - Steelbook Edition was $17.98 on clearance at Target today.   207-34-0365  Launch editions are mixed with the standard editions.

Code Vein PS4 was marked down to $8.98.  207-34-1749 $14.xx at other stores where they had tons of copies. 

Not sure about psn, but there is a demo for the switch version. That's what made me decide to preorder the switch version... but maybe it would help see if you even like the game before throwing money at it. Check psn as well for a demo.
Great call. Forgot demos were even a thing still. Will definitely give it a try before diving in. Thanks!

I've never gotten any of the "big box" extras from them. For things like Day One editions it's kind of a tossup, so it's possible I guess but I wouldn't bet on it.

Catherine Full Body PS4 - Steelbook Edition was $17.98 on clearance at Target today. 207-34-0365 Launch editions are mixed with the standard editions.

Code Vein PS4 was marked down to $8.98. 207-34-1749 $14.xx at other stores where they had tons of copies.
sweet. Thank you for sharing these deals.

Also everyone is welcome for code vein since I bought that semi recently.

Regarding the Best Buy clearance games, I've also seen Cold Steel III and TMS for those prices.

Another one I saw was Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch) for $19.

Disaster Report 4 is a quirky, unique, very japanese game. The best I can relate it too would be like doing those weird or heartfelt side missions from a Yakuza game. The game is on the low budget range, as most of us into niche games have become accustomed too. If you like doing those weird yakuza side missions you'll like this game.

Disaster Report 4 is one of my favorite recent pickups. It runs like crap but I really enjoyed my experience. Unfortunately you can't talk about it online without a thousand comments about the FPS or some other bullcrap. 

Disaster Report 4 is one of my favorite recent pickups. It runs like crap but I really enjoyed my experience. Unfortunately you can't talk about it online without a thousand comments about the FPS or some other bullcrap.
Does it run like crap on a pro too? Might be better off playing this on PC if that's case.

Does it run like crap on a pro too? Might be better off playing this on PC if that's case.
Try the demo. I haven't played a lot of it yet but it seems fine on PS4.

The Switch version is awful though. Glad I played the Switch demo before I got the game.

Disaster Report 4 is a quirky, unique, very japanese game. The best I can relate it too would be like doing those weird or heartfelt side missions from a Yakuza game. The game is on the low budget range, as most of us into niche games have become accustomed too. If you like doing those weird yakuza side missions you'll like this game.
Ugh you're selling me on this game so hard. I wish I could find a copy lol

Excellent description.

I would compare it to a classic adventure game like Broken Sword mixed with the side content and visuals of Yakuza (PS2).

Disaster Report 4 is one of my favorite recent pickups. It runs like crap but I really enjoyed my experience. Unfortunately you can't talk about it online without a thousand comments about the FPS or some other bullcrap.
It's not a game that needs a high frame rate to get the job done and seems perfectly playable to me. I mean you walk around and mainly just talk to people and do odd tasks to help others out and progress through surviving the disaster.

The whole story around this series is pretty interesting with the creator buying the rights to his games from IREM for his own company and pushing forward with finishing DR4 which was cancelled on the PS3. I'd expect if the series were to continue it would get made from the ground up on whatever platform it was intended for.

DR4 does sound like a game I would enjoy digitally when it's like $7. I do think the Switch port looks like it runs like poop a lot though. Likely not the version to play at least.

If you're looking to actually play DR4, get the PC version, it's the only real option.

If you're looking to collect DR4, get the PS4 version, because it's been jumping in price.

If anyone is interested. Death End Request 2 is back in stock at Best Buy. Unfortunately right after I did my order at the Ifi store.

Not very niche, but I'm cautiously optimistic about Final Fantasy XVI. On one hand, the possible lack of a party and the continued use of action combat over ATB is disheartening, but on the other hand, the return to a fantasy/medieval setting is very exciting. This could be this generation's Final Fantasy IX, which, in my opinion, is the best one. I'm not going to get a PS5 at launch, but if more info comes out about FFXVI that I like and there's a special edition bundle with the console, I may pick up that whole package.

And, now that we're getting $70 dollar games, I'll be focusing more on my backlog than ever before.

Just seeing the weird warping in battle in the video was a huge turn off already. I'll give it a chance but I really didn't crazy enjoy what I played of FFXV. Gave it about 20 hours and I was done.

Just seeing the weird warping in battle in the video was a huge turn off already. I'll give it a chance but I really didn't crazy enjoy what I played of FFXV. Gave it about 20 hours and I was done.
I was the opposite with FFXV, I actually loved that game (warts and all), so the warping didn't throw me off too much. I felt the trailer made it look like FFXV within an FFXII setting. I'll keep my eye on it for now.

Apparently the battle designer on FF16 is a guy who worked on battle design for Dragon's Dogma and DMC5. Square poached him from Capcom about a year ago. I am 100000% sold because of that alone. 2 of my favorite games ever, I've put hundreds of hours into them combined simply because the combat is so replayable and fun.

Saw some people comparing it to FF15 when the trailer first came on but you can easily tell it wasn't the same because there was actually hitstun lmao. Lack of any sort of stagger mechanics in FF15 is one of the biggest problems with the game.

Apparently the battle designer on FF16 is a guy who worked on battle design for Dragon's Dogma and DMC5. Square poached him from Capcom about a year ago. I am 100000% sold because of that alone. 2 of my favorite games ever, I've put hundreds of hours into them combined simply because the combat is so replayable and fun.

Saw some people comparing it to FF15 when the trailer first came on but you can easily tell it wasn't the same because there was actually hitstun lmao. Lack of any sort of stagger mechanics in FF15 is one of the biggest problems with the game.
Either we played different versions of it, you and i have different impressions of stagger or they must have added stagger of some sort in via update. But 15 definitely had it.

Either we played different versions of it, you and i have different impressions of stagger or they must have added stagger of some sort in via update. But 15 definitely had it.
I am talking stagger in the context of action games. You hit the opponent and then they can't do anything until you finish your combo or it ends via some other method (like in fighting games your character is pushed backwards each hit so you eventually are out of range.) FF15 had no reliable stagger system at all. Most enemies have no reaction whatsoever when you attack them and the ones that do can just break out of the combo at random points. People spent time trying to figure out how the mechanics worked but it boiled down to just being fairly random iirc.

Anyone else looking forward to 13 sentinels, which comes out next week? I’m planning to use Mario as filler until it shows up, but I’m excited for this new one from Vanillaware.

Anyone else looking forward to 13 sentinels, which comes out next week? I’m planning to use Mario as filler until it shows up, but I’m excited for this new one from Vanillaware.
I'm the biggest advocate for visual novels likely on this forum so this is right up my alley. Not to mention Vanillaware games are generally some of the most polished and nicest looking to. I know nothing other than mechs so I'm not going to ruin that.

Yeah, really excited to finally play this! It's received good reviews so far, too.

Super hype about MonHun Stories 2, I really liked the aesthetic of the first and as a MonHun fan already, collecting monsters from the series made it the first Pokemon-like game I’ve been able to get into since Yellow. After that sort of spiritual spin-off they announced for mobile a few months ago, I was worried that was pretty much it for the Stories IP.

Something tells me 13 Sentinels wont have as much stock since it seems more niche than the usual Atlus title. Also got shipping for my Moreo Crystal H from Play-Asia. Very nice!

I meant more user reviews. There's a lot of times the professional reviews don't line up for various reasons. But maybe I'll buy one from Best Buy and hold it for 30 days.
It’s sold out on Best Buy. If you want some user reviews go to amazon. They’ll be in Japanese but amazon has a translation tool.

bread's done
Back