Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
13 Sentinels will be $30 on BF at Gamestop.
Glad I waited.
Contender for my personal Game of the Year. Don't miss it!

The story is now my favorite in all of video games beating out 999 which previously held that spot. It's that good. The way it's told is incredible.

The combat is fun and can be addicting. I wish it did some things a little differently, but it's really fast paced. You're constantly telling your units to attack and the screen gets saturated with enemies and explosions it actually causes the ps4 pro to have framerate issues. That only happens on late game when there are literally hundreds of enemies and particles on screen at once.

Hopefully Sentinels runs better on the PS5. I'll likely play it earlyish next year myself. Going to focus on PS5 games this year for it, though I'm sure by early next year it will become my PS4-Pro-er.

For those looking to grab niche titles to fill your backlog the 50% off sale at gamestop has some nice prices.

Ps4

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 2.5 Remix 7.49
Kingdom Hearts 3 12.59
The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 3 12.49
Dark Rose Valkyrie 7.49
Banner Saga Trilogy 6.49
Exist Archive the Other Side of the Sky 6.49
Valkyria Revolution 7.49
Utawareumono Mask of Truth 7.49
Star Ocean 5 Integrity and Faithlessness 7.49
.Hack//G.U. Last Recode 9.99
Disgaea 5 Alliance of Vengeance 9.99

Nintendo Switch

Resident Evil Origins Collection 9.99
Borderlands collection 9.99
Sonic Mania Plus 9.49
Lego Harry Potter Collection 11.49
SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated 12.49
LEGO Jurassic World 11.49
Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection 9.99
Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 + 2 9.99

The Disgaea 1 and 4 complete versions, utawareumono mask of deception are under 10 as well I think but both were unavailable for shipping in my area. There's also
persona 5 vanilla for 7.49
ff15 vanilla for 2.50
persona 5 dancing in the starlight 9.00
persona 3 dancing in the moonlight is 6.49
Steven universe save the light + ok ko bundle 8.99 A paper mario grandia like game. Very fun.
This is actually a really good sale for gamestop. 50% off every preowned under $30 if you buy 5. Since it's not in the B2G1 format, you can mix and match prices.

I already pre-ordered the NISA store collector's edition of Poison Control, so I'm looking at Balan and Nep Virtual Stars. I know I don't actually need to buy 3 games for this promo, but does anyone have an opinion on Azur Lane Crosswave? The Switch version is coming out and I'm a little interested.
Azur Lane's gameplay is kinda meh. The story and characters however are likeable. If you liked the anime or the mobage, then you will get some enjoyment out of it.

Does anybody know why the normal Switch version of Sakuna is starting to be sold out everywhere? Amazon, Bestbuy, Gamestop. I wanted to wait till it's on sale but as it's becoming more and more hard to find I might just have to grab it now from Ebay.

Niche games are hit and miss. Sega/Atlus games are very likely to drop in price. NISA are hit and miss along with Spike Chunsoft, PQube, XSeed, and some others. If you want it just get it. Honestly though if a game is good and sells it will come back eventually like YS 8, Atelier Ryza, Rune Factory 4 for the Switch for a bit, etc.... 

Onechanbara is sold out now. Also, free shipping is only for select items on the site even though that's not clear on the banner where it claims to be "sitewide". Where do people find these Play-Asia coupons, by the way?
The fine print said Play asia exclusive and item over a certain weight are not eligible.

This is actually a really good sale for gamestop. 50% off every preowned under $30 if you buy 5. Since it's not in the B2G1 format, you can mix and match prices.

Azur Lane's gameplay is kinda meh. The story and characters however are likeable. If you liked the anime or the mobage, then you will get some enjoyment out of it.
Bolded wise at the time you didn't need to buy 5 for it to work.

Onechanbara is sold out now. Also, free shipping is only for select items on the site even though that's not clear on the banner where it claims to be "sitewide". Where do people find these Play-Asia coupons, by the way?
They used to throw in a $5 off $60 coupon in every order, but I haven't received one in a hot minute. There are codes tied to their affiliate program that give 5% off any order - CENSORED and NPE are the ones I've used.

I know I am late to the party but man, Monster Hunter 4U on 3DS is just amazing. I glance at the clock and 2 hours have gone by. This despite PS5 being much bigger than 3DS!

I know I am late to the party but man, Monster Hunter 4U on 3DS is just amazing. I glance at the clock and 2 hours have gone by. This despite PS5 being much bigger than 3DS!
Good games don't become irrelevant just cause new technology is out. I still enjoy playing Super Mario Bros every now and then and have a good time. Some games age very poorly though, and those are the ones that you can maybe just let go of.

Good games don't become irrelevant just cause new technology is out. I still enjoy playing Super Mario Bros every now and then and have a good time. Some games age very poorly though, and those are the ones that you can maybe just let go of.
Agreed. Dead Space 1 and 2 are two others that have aged very well. Gamers too often get hoodwinked by what's new and shiny. There are so many amazing titles that have been released on older machines that never get remasters or remakes, but get forgotten because they either commercially flopped, and/or have complicated licensing issues that cost too much for any publisher to pay and sort through.

Games like the Shadow Hearts trilogy (PS2), Gitaroo Man (PS2), Cannon Spike (Dreamcast), and Otogi 1/2 (OG Xbox) probably will never see the light of day again. Too bad.

Good games don't become irrelevant just cause new technology is out. I still enjoy playing Super Mario Bros every now and then and have a good time. Some games age very poorly though
Yeah, like the original Super Mario Bros.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate what it did for the genre and the industry; I’m not even saying it’s a bad game by modern standards; but I’d really rather play virtually any competently made platformer released since, there’s just so little actually going on in SMB1.

Agreed. Dead Space 1 and 2 are two others that have aged very well. Gamers too often get hoodwinked by what's new and shiny. There are so many amazing titles that have been released on older machines that never get remasters or remakes, but get forgotten because they either commercially flopped, and/or have complicated licensing issues that cost too much for any publisher to pay and sort through.

Games like the Shadow Hearts trilogy (PS2), Gitaroo Man (PS2), Cannon Spike (Dreamcast), and Otogi 1/2 (OG Xbox) probably will never see the light of day again. Too bad.
poor shadow hearts. One day I will get a copy of the first game. I have 2 and 3 I got from the same awesome seller Kiwi on amazon.

Agreed. Dead Space 1 and 2 are two others that have aged very well.
Funny you mention Dead Space, as my husband is currently replaying the series on PC. He finished 1 and is going through 2, though he put it down for now to play the new Assassin's Creed (a comfort food series for him). As for 3, well, he played it once and that was enough. We brutally made fun of that game.

I actually just started Trails in the Sky the 3rd tonight, and these old Falcom RPGs age like fine wine. There's nothing like dusting off an old classic (or, in my case, playing one for the first time) to remind you of how creative game development used to be. Of course, there are good games still releasing today (Hades is absolutely incredible), but modern game development has just gotten so lazy, especially in the AAA department. Years ago, there were limits to what game designers could accomplish, so they needed to work around those limits to deliver a great game. This meant creativity and ingenuity flourished, and games left a lasting impression on players, even if they didn't look all that pretty. Now, the technology is better than ever, but that just means that, for many of these games, fancy visuals and sound design are all they have going for them, while unique gameplay takes a backseat. I'll take a game like Xenoblade that, despite looking like dogshit, had amazing gameplay, characters, and narrative, over any modern "blockbuster" game any day. I guess, thank goodness for the recent remake so people with the "old=bad" mentality will give it the time of day.

Another favorite of my husband's. If you have any questions about Monster Hunter, he can tell you anything you need to know :p

poor shadow hearts. One day I will get a copy of the first game. I have 2 and 3 I got from the same awesome seller Kiwi on amazon.
Ah that's it. I was trying to remember the name of this series the other day and just could not do it for the life of me. Don't remember why I was thinking of it but hey, mystery solved.

GuitarooMan was excellent and that last boss fight can just go eat it. I still listen to the OST for that from time to time. Good game, great music.

Flipside of this, Shadow of Destiny was a great game, at the time, and I am sure it has age quite poorly in terms of gameplay. Pulling up pictures of it shows the graphics sure as hell have not stood the test of time.

Funny you mention Dead Space, as my husband is currently replaying the series on PC. He finished 1 and is going through 2, though he put it down for now to play the new Assassin's Creed (a comfort food series for him). As for 3, well, he played it once and that was enough. We brutally made fun of that game.

I actually just started Trails in the Sky the 3rd tonight, and these old Falcom RPGs age like fine wine. There's nothing like dusting off an old classic (or, in my case, playing one for the first time) to remind you of how creative game development used to be. Of course, there are good games still releasing today (Hades is absolutely incredible), but modern game development has just gotten so lazy, especially in the AAA department. Years ago, there were limits to what game designers could accomplish, so they needed to work around those limits to deliver a great game. This meant creativity and ingenuity flourished, and games left a lasting impression on players, even if they didn't look all that pretty. Now, the technology is better than ever, but that just means that, for many of these games, fancy visuals and sound design are all they have going for them, while unique gameplay takes a backseat. I'll take a game like Xenoblade that, despite looking like dogshit, had amazing gameplay, characters, and narrative, over any modern "blockbuster" game any day. I guess, thank goodness for the recent remake so people with the "old=bad" mentality will give it the time of day.

Another favorite of my husband's. If you have any questions about Monster Hunter, he can tell you anything you need to know :p
trails in the sky 3rd from what I understand is drastically more modernized than the original version of the first game on psp was. Also worth noting that they provide updates to the pc versions so they are enhanced marginally to drastically in a case by case basis. Trails of cold steel 1 being the most surprising as they fixed the voice work issues for the main character and added in voice work for his lines. As that can't have been cheap or easy to do.

That first Shadow Hearts is good, but 2 is easily better. That said, crazy what 1 sells for on eBay. Not worth it, IMHO.
Yup that's the reason why I don't own it. It's gone up a lot too. As a few years back I was piecing together some ps2 gamecube and such titles I didn't own that I had been either wanting or had been recommended. I passed on getting grandia 2, wild arms 5/xf, baten kaitos series, skies of arcadia and a few others at the time but managed to get my hands on .hack g.u. vol 2 and vol 3 (just before they did the port so you are all welcome) and shadow hearts 2 and 3, fire emblem path of radiance, paper mario ttyd, mana khemia 1 and grandia 3. I can't even believe that path of radiance was going for 300+ this summer. If I didn't love the game I would have serioiusly considered parting with it for that kinda dosh. But I plan on replaying it again eventually to get a perfect run on that fricken desert map. As that's basically the only thing left I didn't do after I did a second playthrough using all the worst units. Minus Ike because I have no choice but to use him since he's mandatory for the boss battles and prologue.

I actually did sell some of the rarer games in my collection that I was willing to part with this summer and made a pretty penny. Since I figured I may as well make some money if I never intend to play them again if at all and or disliked them.

Yeah, like the original Super Mario Bros.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate what it did for the genre and the industry; I’m not even saying it’s a bad game by modern standards; but I’d really rather play virtually any competently made platformer released since, there’s just so little actually going on in SMB1.
I actually think nothing has even come close to the perfection of smb or the major platformer hits of that era. Modern stuff can't even get the controls just right, in that sweet spot, let alone provide catchy tunes, charismatic enemies, tons of secrets, and 'omg' moments all at once. There's a reason those games keep getting ported each generation.

I've got all of these with the exception of Cannon Spike sitting on the shelf behind me, I don't collect for Dreamcast.

I actually think nothing has even come close to the perfection of smb or the major platformer hits of that era. Modern stuff can't even get the controls just right, in that sweet spot, let alone provide catchy tunes, charismatic enemies, tons of secrets, and 'omg' moments all at once. There's a reason those games keep getting ported each generation.
There’s a limit to nostalgia, grandpa. 2D platformers were vastly improved by the example of SMB1 in 1985, but only really started reaching their full potential around the late 80s, and the majority of high quality 2D platformers come from the early 90s, though plenty have been released since, as well, and even within the IP, SMB1 is easily topped by pretty nearly every 2D Mario platformer that’s been released since.

Ughh I hate it when Bestbuy using lesser known delivery service, they just lost my 13 Sentinels I ordered last night. It was some company named Roadie and they took a photo of some random apartment building as proof of delivery.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

That's sort of pushing it. I have a special place in my heart for SMB but even I know that some of that is nostalgia. I recently had a chance to play Celeste, and that game easily tops SMB in every category. That said, no question Celeste takes from the legendary series, but it is - like other excellent platformers since such as Inside - an evolution that is leaps and bounds better.

I can admit that much of why SMB has stayed popular is because it is part history lesson, and because older gamers today are still part of that generation. It also helps that Nintendo has taken good care of the Mario franchise through the different console releases. They are great games, but I couldn't with a straight face suggest newer platformers today don't outdo it handily.

What's the consensus on The Wonderful 101 remaster? Thinking about picking it up while it's on sale but I don't really know anything about it other than it's platinum. Is there a benefit to ps4 over switch other than I assume better graphics? Or vice versa?

Yup that's the reason why I don't own it. It's gone up a lot too. As a few years back I was piecing together some ps2 gamecube and such titles I didn't own that I had been either wanting or had been recommended. I passed on getting grandia 2, wild arms 5/xf, baten kaitos series, skies of arcadia and a few others at the time but managed to get my hands on .hack g.u. vol 2 and vol 3 (just before they did the port so you are all welcome) and shadow hearts 2 and 3, fire emblem path of radiance, paper mario ttyd, mana khemia 1 and grandia 3. I can't even believe that path of radiance was going for 300+ this summer. If I didn't love the game I would have serioiusly considered parting with it for that kinda dosh. But I plan on replaying it again eventually to get a perfect run on that fricken desert map. As that's basically the only thing left I didn't do after I did a second playthrough using all the worst units. Minus Ike because I have no choice but to use him since he's mandatory for the boss battles and prologue.

I actually did sell some of the rarer games in my collection that I was willing to part with this summer and made a pretty penny. Since I figured I may as well make some money if I never intend to play them again if at all and or disliked them.
I remember seeing several copies of Rule of Rose for like $10 at FYE like 15 years ago. I wish I bought more than one.

I remember seeing several copies of Rule of Rose for like $10 at FYE like 15 years ago. I wish I bought more than one.
Never been to one of those but yeah you could have made a killing possibly. I still remember picking up suikoden 2 for 4$ new and sealed at a local family video game store that was going out of business. I used to rent and buy games from them a lot so it was a pretty sad thing to see them go. Especially since they rented much cheaper than block buster at the time. (this was before it blew up price wise on ebay) and I flipped it for 8$ after playing it and not liking it as a little kid at a record exchange. Oh how stupid I felt 2 or so years later when it went for 200+ on ebay.

What's the consensus on The Wonderful 101 remaster? Thinking about picking it up while it's on sale but I don't really know anything about it other than it's platinum. Is there a benefit to ps4 over switch other than I assume better graphics? Or vice versa?
I was looking in to it last night and according to Digital Foundry, PS4 has higher, consistent framerates. Basically stable 60 on PS4 Pro.

I don't have the Switch version but digital foundry did a video on the remaster and it's about what you'd expect where the Switch version has major frame rate problems. Spots that are 60 fps on PS4 are like 30-40 on the Switch, sometimes going down into the 20s. In docked mode it actually runs worse than the Wii U version because the Wii U was 720p and docked Switch is 1080p.

As for the game itself I really loved the combat once I got over the huge learning curve of drawing weapons, and oddly I was invested in the story by the end which I was not expecting at all, but, it's a game directed by Kamiya so it has the same traits as most of his other games such as random QTEs where you least expect them and tons and tons of unskippable mini-games. So I'd say it just depends on how much that kind of stuff bothers you.

Never been to one of those but yeah you could have made a killing possibly. I still remember picking up suikoden 2 for 4$ new and sealed at a local family video game store that was going out of business. I used to rent and buy games from them a lot so it was a pretty sad thing to see them go. Especially since they rented much cheaper than block buster at the time. (this was before it blew up price wise on ebay) and I flipped it for 8$ after playing it and not liking it as a little kid at a record exchange. Oh how stupid I felt 2 or so years later when it went for 200+ on ebay.
We had a family owned store here close when I was a kid... *all* games were $5. Console didn't matter, how old or new didn't matter... all 5. I bought almost every PS1 RPG they had... well, my grandmother did for me :D I played them all, and managed to get a TON of credit at EB Games eventually... some big hitters were in the stuff.. I wish I kept em though since they're worth a lot more now ._. Ah well. I think I traded in Suikoden 2 at Babbages and got $40 for it...

Thanks to everyone that responded. Think I'm gonna try it. Placed an order for PS4 Wonderful 101 along with Maneater from BB. Not a bad start to digital black friday lol

Weird ask, do the PS1 games on the PS3 PSN ever go on sale anymore?
Yeah up until recently there were some sales but my guess is at this point going forward there won't be anymore. Since that content is no longer accessible via the web I doubt they'll have any further sales. It's sad and a shame. Sony really fucked up and really should have added PS Classics (1+2, PSP/Vita if feeling real generous) support on PS5. It's such a shame and a waste they didn't. Sony gonna sony I guess

Sony really fucked up and really should have added PS Classics (1+2, PSP/Vita if feeling real generous) support on PS5. It's such a shame and a waste they didn't. Sony gonna sony I guess
I still hope that they will at some point (though I'm not holding my breath). It can't be hard to emulate at least PS1 on the PS5

People always ask for PS1/2/3 backwards compat but yeah I'd absolutely love for digital PSP games to be playable on PS5. From a technical standpoint it would be easy since the PSP didn't have any touch capabilities or anything. Plus it was basically confirmed by hackers/modders that all those PSP ports on PS4 were being done via an emulator so it's clearly something Sony has fiddled with at some point.

Really I just regret not getting a Playstation TV when they were being clearanced out for like $20. They're stupidly expensive now.

People always ask for PS1/2/3 backwards compat but yeah I'd absolutely love for digital PSP games to be playable on PS5. From a technical standpoint it would be easy since the PSP didn't have any touch capabilities or anything. Plus it was basically confirmed by hackers/modders that all those PSP ports on PS4 were being done via an emulator so it's clearly something Sony has fiddled with at some point.

Really I just regret not getting a Playstation TV when they were being clearanced out for like $20. They're stupidly expensive now.
Yeah I am very glad I grabbed one at the time. Though I missed out on the controller and such bundles. It's nice for playing ps1 titles as well since ps4 pro controllers give analog support to all games even ones that didn't have it like chrono trigger and ff7.

Regarding smb series to modern platformers.
I dont think it's nostalgia. Possibly preference. I don't like Celeste's style of gameplay. It's like super meat boy, a sort of extreme wall bouncing/sliding parkour platformer. I find that style un-charming and more of a stress test challenge. I've much preferred my 2D platformers like the 2D marios over the generations, 2D donkey Kongs, 2D Raymans, 2D sonics ect. (Is sonic mania modern ?).

However, I wouldn't say they are in anyway bad games regardless of my taste. I just don't see myself playing super meat boy ever again on PS5,6,7 ect. nor Celeste if I ever played it. Celeste seems like a one and done, with more focus on story? correct me if I'm wrong.

To me smb is like pacman or tetris, you can always pick it up & play a few levels here n there no matter what year it is.

Yeah. I didn't pass on the PS TV. I got when when they went on sale for $50. And then when they dropped down to $20 for the base unit, and $30 for the bundle with the controller, I got several more. I hacked all of them, and installed the pixel-perfect scaling apps on them. And for the ones I use for playing games, I picked up SD-card adapters, and have 256 GB on them permanently. I keep one at my parents house so I always have a selection of games available whenever I visit. It's a really great way to play PS1 and PSP titles.

Is Best Buy still running it's sale on Wonderful 101? I could go for a copy of that on the PS4.

To me, the entire Super Mario series is perfection, and Nintendo has managed to keep it both nostalgic and fresh by essentially splitting it up into a 2D series and a 3D series. For people who love the classic style, the old school NES and SNES games still hold up, while newer entries like 3D Land, New SMB U, and 3D World shake up the formula to provide traditional platforming with a twist. For something different, you've got 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey, providing more exploration and gameplay options beyond your usual running and jumping. Every time, Mario games end up being some of the best of the system they're on, and they're often placed in the best of lists of the year they're released. Has the original SMB aged a bit? Of course, but so has 64, and many people love playing that game over and over, because the Mario series just gets so much right that even its weaker entries age so much better than most other games. When you get a Mario game, you know you're getting quality entertainment from a team that actually gives a shit about the games it's developing, and you can always come back to your favorite Mario game (or, even one you didn't love as much) for a wonderful time.

And, though I already own the Wii U version, I'll most likely be picking up NSMBU Deluxe at Wal-Mart for that sweet $30 Black Friday price tag :D/

Wait what?
Yep and I was the one to discover it or at least I have never heard it mentioned before. I also checked on other platforms like the ps3 and it doesn't give them analog support on there with a pro controller. It's a feature specifically tied to the vita tv for whatever reason. And it doesn't work with a regular ps4 controller as I also tested that on ps3 and vita tv. No idea on the pc side since I don't have either game on steam to test it out with but I would assume since its pc that it would work as button inputs are usually customizable.

You have to wonder how many other titles it works with. Of course that's moot for ff7 since the hd remaster adds in analog support iirc. But for chrono trigger that's not available elsewhere.

So I finished Watch Dogs Legion, thank goodness, and started Yakuza Like A Dragon. Just hit chapter 5 last night and damn what a good game so far. Was going into it so nervous being as it's basically a fresh slate, new characters, new gameplay, new setting, etc. So far I'm absolutely loving it though. They've once again done a really really great job building a world and characters. I love the franchise, it's arguably my favorite (probably with MGS), but it actually feels... Refreshing. Im not sure I like the new location so much as I have Kamurocho but that may also just be because I'm so used to Kamurocho. Kasuga is a much better character than I expected as are Nanba and Adachi, though I'm really loving Kasuga's personality - and the way that you can build up his personality in different ways.

The turn based-ness was a real concern for me from the brawler that the game was but I think they built it perfectly. It's turn based but in a really fast paced way that just feels great. Enemy encounters seem a bit high but hey autobattler is there and I just hope on my phone for a few. Overall I'm loving it and I'm excited to see where the story goes and what twists and turns it takes.

Total sidenote: if anyone got the spare red steelbook from best buy for ordering and doesn't want it let me know i'd happily pay for it :)

Nice feedback on Like a Dragon.  I'll eventually get it to add to my yakuza collection, but I've been concerned about it since I'm not big on turn based games outside of a few franchises... and tend to lean more towards action these days.   I plan to grab a copy when it hits $30 since my son has the ps4 and has moved out and I'm probably going to wait till I'm ready for a PS5 before I even get to dig through my small ps4 library.

bread's done
Back