Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ymmv but octopus traveler is 3.00 to 10.00 at walmart.
Amazing deal if you can find it. I feel this game is worth the full $60, so $10 or even $3(!!) is a steal!

It is funny I ended up finishing Ryza 1 without changing costume
The only costume changing I did was remove Ryza's jacket so she could show off her cute shoulders. But, I'm looking forward to those pre-order t-shirts and the first game's costumes, so I may do more costume changes in the sequel.

I don't think they will charge you for the free item if you return. There are sometimes items with a free gift that specifically say it's a $xx value on the product page, usually a physical item that is also sold separately.

Or, for example, the Persona Strikers steelbook says it's worth $9.99, so returning that without the steelbook would probably result in a $9.99 reduction in the refund.

wpKUNFz.png

Amazing deal if you can find it. I feel this game is worth the full $60, so $10 or even $3(!!) is a steal!

The only costume changing I did was remove Ryza's jacket so she could show off her cute shoulders. But, I'm looking forward to those pre-order t-shirts and the first game's costumes, so I may do more costume changes in the sequel.
Picked it up myself at target and today at walmart. Now that I have the walmart copy I'll sell the target one and hopefully break even.

So I managed to find & buy a disc-only copy of :ps4: Disaster Report 4 at $30.  I was checking today to see if the dlc is still on sale.  My account is showing that I own the "Fade into Memory bundle."  Was this free at one point?  Just trying to figure out what happened since I know I haven't purchased it in the past.

Haven't played the game yet, but plan to soon. It's either DR4 or Ryza 1 once I finish up Yakuza: Like Dragon Quest.

So I may have run into some kind of super amazing glitch or there was an announcement I didn't hear about.  Anyone have ps4 psn plus games but don't currently have a sub active?  All my plus games on my ps4 are playable, don't have the lock symbol on them in my plus games folder and I know for certain that I don't currently have a sub going as I haven't subbed to plus for probably close to 2 years now. 

someone probably linked it here. i likely claimed it and had since forgotten. thank you, unknown cag!
Lord knows. I've claimed hundreds of free dlc thanks to this thread for games I either didn't own at the time or own now but haven't played. Like the disgaea 3 dlc, p5 dlc, tales of zestiria dlc (though I doubt I will ever get that for ps3/4 one day other than to have it physically in my collection for the purpose of collecting)

So I managed to find & buy a disc-only copy of :ps4: Disaster Report 4 at $30. I was checking today to see if the dlc is still on sale. My account is showing that I own the "Fade into Memory bundle." Was this free at one point? Just trying to figure out what happened since I know I haven't purchased it in the past.

Haven't played the game yet, but plan to soon. It's either DR4 or Ryza 1 once I finish up Yakuza: Like Dragon Quest.
Nice find! I regret not buying it sooner lol

So I managed to find & buy a disc-only copy of :ps4: Disaster Report 4 at $30. I was checking today to see if the dlc is still on sale. My account is showing that I own the "Fade into Memory bundle." Was this free at one point? Just trying to figure out what happened since I know I haven't purchased it in the past.

I would say Ryza and then DR4 as having played all 3. DR4 is my favorite but is the worst performing out of the bunch.

So I may have run into some kind of super amazing glitch or there was an announcement I didn't hear about. Anyone have ps4 psn plus games but don't currently have a sub active? All my plus games on my ps4 are playable, don't have the lock symbol on them in my plus games folder and I know for certain that I don't currently have a sub going as I haven't subbed to plus for probably close to 2 years now.
Yea the same thing happened to my brother years ago but with vita games. When his ps plus subscription ended all his downloaded games on his Vita still worked forever.

I don't know if they still do, but in the past Xseed would usually throw in a freebie for orders from their merch store too. I got a soundtrack for The Last Story while buying Senran Kagura cards a few years back that way.

On that note, I do recommend the 'Special' Senran Kagura cards. :3 That Kagura is great

senran-kagura-pinup-speical-card-pack.jpg
I placed a $50 order from this sale and just got it yesterday. They threw in a bunch of freebies like you said: 3 full Senran Kagura soundtracks (two of them 2-disc sets) for free and a free Akiba's Beat plushie. So about $20 more worth of merchandise for free with the $50 order. Awesome company!

I got some freebies with my order too, a couple other soundtracks, that Akiba's Beat plushie, and a poster.

Square Enix has trademarked "Ever Crisis" in Canada and Europe:

https://www.siliconera.com/square-enix-trademarks-ever-crisis-in-canada-and-europe/

Please be Crisis Core please be Crisis Core please be Crisis Core...
Seems extremely unlikely. The FFVII spinoffs seemed to be following alphabetical order before they trailed off, with Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus, so it seems more likely they’re just continuing with a new property in that line since FF7 is commercially relevant again.

I didn't get anything extra with my Jet Girls order in August, but here's hoping my recent order of the UPPERS soundtrack/artbook and Sakuna LE has some extra items.

Too bad about UPPERS. I played through the Asian Vita version and was looking forward to playing it again in English on PS4.

Seems extremely unlikely. The FFVII spinoffs seemed to be following alphabetical order before they trailed off, with Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus, so it seems more likely they’re just continuing with a new property in that line since FF7 is commercially relevant again.
Never heard of before crisis. All the others I've seen but not that. I would not have noticed that pattern if you hadn't mentioned it. Then again I never knew about the tales of series naming pattern till someone mentioned it on the forums.

Never heard of before crisis. All the others I've seen but not that. I would not have noticed that pattern if you hadn't mentioned it. Then again I never knew about the tales of series naming pattern till someone mentioned it on the forums.
Before Crisis never left Japan because, well, it was a pre-smartphone phone game. It was actually the Compilation title I was most interested in, though, because it was a prequel starring the Turks.

There is actually a fan port (and translation) to PC out there nowadays. Haven’t tried it yet myself, but I have it backlogged.

Apparently the European Ryza 2 Limited Edition (Premium Box) is stuck in England due to Brexit. They're unable to export to European Union countries and began cancelling orders. 

Apparently the European Ryza 2 Limited Edition (Premium Box) is stuck in England due to Brexit. They're unable to export to European Union countries and began cancelling orders.
Every day I learn something that, wherever in the world I happen to be at the time, makes me happy that at least I don’t live in Europe.

Never noticed that, interesting. I'm still hopeful it could be some kind of port or rerelease, considering learning about Zack is going to be a really big deal for FFVIIR (if they're going in the direction a lot of people think they are with the story).

Unrelated note, but I got my XSEED order already (two days from California to Florida!) and, along with the Uppers artbook and CDs, I got a Senran soundtrack and a Trails poster for free. I actually already have both these items, but the Trails poster is double-sided, so I think I'll hang it up (the other side is a map of Liberl).

zKAlRy8.jpg

Also, the Uppers CDs look like this, because degeneracy should be celebrated, not censored:

qz1hiw6.jpg

Anyone order Crosscode from Strictly Limited Games? I want to get the CE for PS4, but it still shows as preorder and other versions of the physical edition have seemingly shipped. It seems risky for some reason.

My Atelier Ryza 2 CE arrived in my mailbox today and I never even received a shipping notice.  Kudos to NISA for the fast shipping!

NISA tends to send their shipments out the Friday before with USPS. Atelier LEs have usually arrived the day before for me, however the bonus DLC codes wouldn't activate or be sent out until after the game release at midnight.

I'm so behind on Atelier games. I would play them in order too haha. I think I only finished Rororona. I still am a sucker for purchasing them when they go cheaper around $20 though.

I only finished Sophie. But I did start Firis.

It's stupid, but I get annoyed that

Firis is supposed to beat Sophie after less than a year, when Sophie grew up with alchemy and is supposed to be gifted in her own right. Why couldn't Firis just stay an apprentice?

I want to go back and play Mana Khemia but I don't know if they aged well at all.

I honestly don't know how Ryza plays compared to the main titles. But I think Ryza 2 has a bigger budget due to how unexpectedly well Ryza 1 sold.

I only finished Sophie. But I did start Firis.

It's stupid, but I get annoyed that

Firis is supposed to beat Sophie after less than a year, when Sophie grew up with alchemy and is supposed to be gifted in her own right. Why couldn't Firis just stay an apprentice?

I want to go back and play Mana Khemia but I don't know if they aged well at all.
Mana Khemia rocks honestly. It's a bit simpler story and character wise but the battle system always rocked and the alchemy system is pretty potent. It's very approachable and I like it quite a bit. Still my favorite of the PS2 ones that were localized. I played it for a bit when I unpacked my PS2 about a year and a half ago. Still fun.

My understanding is that the psp version is a bad port.

atelier wise I've only played and finished Ayesha.  One day I will go through the others i have backlogged. iirc rorona, meruru, escha & logy, ryza 1 and mana khemia 1 are all in my backlog. 

I received mine today for the PS4 but no DLC code for Beware of Puni" and "Blue Puni Costume" t-shirts. Does anyone know if Nisa will send the code via email?

I had to recycle my PSP battery last summer, thing died and started to expand.
Happened to mine several years ago, but third party replacements were cheap, and I’ve noticed while poking around for 3DS accessories recently that you can still find cheap PSP batteries.

I'm a big fan of the Atelier Iris games myself. A little less slice of life compared to the modern game, but still has all of the alchemy stuff in it.

Same. Hopefully the code comes on time as well.
I'm pretty annoyed. NO email or info on the shirt code as of yet. Plus, my game came in a bubble-mailer which I loathe and the disc is rattling around loose in the case!

Initiated a chat and got not only a first-line agent but also a SUPERVISOR who appeared barely conversant in English and certainly inadequately trained on support in general.

Now, I have to call the 800 number!

My code just arrived via e-mail for Ryza at 12:13 PM

Subject line

[PREORDER BONUS] Your Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy preorder bonu

bread's done
Back