Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, mine came at 10:24 AM PST. Originally ordered Oct 16, in case they're doing it in order by order date.

Edit: Time zone probably makes a difference, so added that.

I pre-ordered Ryza 2 at Gamestop and didn't get a code on the receipt or in the box. The girl there looked in the system and found that they weren't given codes at all, then she took down my number to call me if they get them. I just called and was told there was still nothing. I hope I get it soon, I like the t-shirts.

I'm pretty annoyed. NO email or info on the shirt code as of yet. Plus, my game came in a bubble-mailer which I loathe and the disc is rattling around loose in the case!
Same on both. BB is often pretty slow with the codes, so not really surprised. If I don't see it soon, I'll just go to forums, the support there is usually pretty reliable for getting missing codes. I haven't opened mine yet, but the discs are usually fine, but if not I'll just exchange it.

I'm wondering if the Pass really adds anything to the game besides the clothing options...

Like, does the high difficulty area provide better rewards, are the other recipes worthwhile etc?

How did you get that price? I couldn't even see Ryza 2 on the Target site, even now...
Probably the B2G1 on games sale around the holidays.

You could order three copies of a game, like Ryza 2, and it would split the $60 for the free game across all items in the order, so you'd have three orders of Ryza 2 for $40, cancel the other two and keep the discount.

It was available for pre-order, at least at some point.I had one myself from the B2G1 but decided to wait on the game until later. I ordered it with Poison Control (but I think I'm ultimately going to want the LE over the contaminated edition) and Neptunia Virtual Stars (maybe I'll keep this one.. The Iffy LE is expensive this time around)

https://www.target.com/p/atelier-ryza-2--lost-legends---38--the-secret-fairy---playstation-4/-/A-81546039

(OOS)

The Target B2G1 during the holidays is exactly what I did. Picked up Ryza 2, Like a Dragon, and Cyberpunk. CP2077 took it's sweet time getting to me so it went straight back to Target for a $40 refund on arrival. Net result $80 for Ryza and Y7. 

Even though their add says excludes preorders you can often times find plenty available for a B2G1 purchase.

I asked Best Buy customer service when they would be releasing the Puni T-shirt preorder codes for my physical copy of Ryza 2, and apparently whoever sent them gave the European release date so they won't be released until Friday.

I asked Best Buy customer service when they would be releasing the Puni T-shirt preorder codes for my physical copy of Ryza 2, and apparently whoever sent them gave the European release date so they won't be released until Friday.
That's strange. I actually got the code today after an email updating the release date to today for the bonus.

Also, I forgot I ordered Ryza during target's b2g1 as well, so I'll be returned my BB copy with the loose disc regardless :lol: Just need to make sure the target copy isn't in worse condition when it arrives

I got mine too, better check your email!

Does anyone know how you unlock the save data bonus?

Do you have to start the PS4 version up to the Atelier / room area?

i am there on the PS5 upgrade version and don't see anything about it...

I checked and that's why I contacted them. The codes are marked with a 1/29 release date according to the agent I got and there's still a pending release date entry on my order.
I redeemed mine already but haven't been able to verify it on my console yet...

Does anyone know how you unlock the save data bonus?

Do you have to start the PS4 version up to the Atelier / room area?

i am there on the PS5 upgrade version and don't see anything about it...
That was an oversight only corrected in a patch on the Japanese version yesterday. It's going to take a while.

For those interested, the Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception & Mask of Truth games on Vita & PS4 have been delisted from the PS store.  As Atlus' license for those two games has expired.    The physical copies of the Vita versions are already skyrocketing in price and PS4 versions are slowly creeping up too.   So if you were interested in those games, might want to grab them now.

For those interested, the Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception & Mask of Truth games on Vita & PS4 have been delisted from the PS store. As Atlus' license for those two games has expired.
Yeah, we were posting about this in the PSN thread last week. Sad to see it pulled.

So.. that means you're going to publish the trilogy on :switch: now, right NISA?

For those interested, the Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception & Mask of Truth games on Vita & PS4 have been delisted from the PS store. As Atlus' license for those two games has expired. The physical copies of the Vita versions are already skyrocketing in price and PS4 versions are slowly creeping up too. So if you were interested in those games, might want to grab them now.
What's interesting to me is that there have been fewer than 10 sales of Mask of Deception this year. I suspect it was already rare and that this just drew attention to it. Mask of Truth is still hovering around MSRP or slightly over, but there also aren't a ton of copies for sale.

Yeah, we were posting about this in the PSN thread last week. Sad to see it pulled.

So.. that means you're going to publish the trilogy on :switch: now, right NISA?
Probably not before they do it on ps5 first. Then they will likely bundle the 3 for the switch release since that seems to be what happens with the ps4 games ported to the switch.

What's interesting to me is that there have been fewer than 10 sales of Mask of Deception this year. I suspect it was already rare and that this just drew attention to it. Mask of Truth is still hovering around MSRP or slightly over, but there also aren't a ton of copies for sale.
If you are going by ebay/price tracker they haven't been working properly for months so how many copies it actually has sold is very much guess work. It's better to do a manual search for copies sold and even that doesn't show more than maybe a months worth or two depending on the game. I know this for a fact since I was tracking the sales so I could price mine before selling my own copies to sell. I sold a new launch copy of mask of deception for around 32$ earlier this month or late last month. It definitely seems like deception had a smaller print than truth did.

Your February 2021 JRPG releases: 
  • Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (PS4, Switch)
  • Nioh Collection (PS5, PC)
  • Azur Lane Crosswave (Switch)
  • Persona 5 Strikers (PS4, PC, Switch)
  • Bravely Default II (Switch)

Pretty decent month, will probably be buying 3/5 of those (though not at release).  Maybe even 4 since I'm hoping Bravely Default II is good.  Worried that it won't be.

Looks like a lot of games I'll buy eventually when on sale hopefully around $20 each. I'm behind on each series, and not in the mood to play Nioh or Azure (likely don't want to play this at all). Decent releases though.

I thought same, but seems Ryza 1 is getting more rare now. I've got the first part for the Switch, but was planning on getting it for the PS4 also, since I tend to use my PS5 more and want to play Ryza 2 on the PS5 afterwards to transfer the saves.

When I checked Amazon today it was sold out, and noticed that it's OOS at many big retailers.

Looks like a lot of games I'll buy eventually when on sale hopefully around $20 each. I'm behind on each series, and not in the mood to play Nioh or Azure (likely don't want to play this at all). Decent releases though.

I thought same, but seems Ryza 1 is getting more rare now. I've got the first part for the Switch, but was planning on getting it for the PS4 also, since I tend to use my PS5 more and want to play Ryza 2 on the PS5 afterwards to transfer the saves.
When I checked Amazon today it was sold out, and noticed that it's OOS at many big retailers.
If you're still looking for Ryza on PS4, I bought one last Tuesday from Deepdiscount for around $41 and it'll be arriving on Monday.

Ryza had a reprint already. Unsure if they'll get another one at this point.

Looking forward to playing Nioh 2 myself. Bought the game at launch because I had some credit I needed to burn but didn't start it since I was playing the first game at the time and didn't want to burn myself out or anything. Been really wanting to play it lately but since there is some sort of upgrade path for PS5 if you own the game I decided to wait it out. 

Ryza had a reprint already. Unsure if they'll get another one at this point.
Both versions have been going in and out of stock since August. So it's pretty likely to come back into stock again. Though I was unaware that it went out of stock again for ps4 after I purchased it a little over 3 months ago.

Yeah, I'd prefer to wait for the $20 pricepoint, but admit I've caved at the $30 (or higher) for a few since many of these Japanese games tend not to get more than one print run.

I wonder what the chances are of getting a Ryza compilation like they've done with some of the other Atelier games. There was even a NA PS3 Atelier collection that is now very rare and expensive now, many people don't even realize it exists because it only had one print run. Some people waited for a price drop and quickly regretted it because it went OOS everywhere seemingly overnight...
Pretty unlikely, IMO. They don't even release Plus versions with the DLC any more. And I assume you're talking about the Rorona trilogy.

Any disadvantage to the PS4 version? I'm sure it runs better but I keep hearing Sony censors games but am too lazy to follow up on it.
I can't recall anything about the ps4 version being censored off hand though I did read that the sequel was at least in the one trailer they put out ironically despite them saying that it wouldn't be censored. I wouldn't be surprised if the ps4 version had some censored stuff as well given how weird sony has been. But I do not think it was anything noticeable or I would have read people ranting about it and news articles an such.

So anywho Fanatical has the deluxe version of death end re;quest on sale for $9.59. https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/death-end-re-quest-deluxe-bundle

Is it on sale on the eshop or anywhere else? As It would be more enticing if it was as I have eshop credit still from that 70 for 50 sale.

So anywho Fanatical has the deluxe version of death end re;quest on sale for $9.59. https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/death-end-re-quest-deluxe-bundle

Is it on sale on the eshop or anywhere else? As It would be more enticing if it was as I have eshop credit still from that 70 for 50 sale.
That's a solid price. I bought it for $13 through gmg last month. I didn't think fanatical would run that bundle again after the sequel's release. Was wrong. On the plus side, I bought the ps4 CE from iffy's holiday sale and sold the standard edition individually since it wasn't packaged in the CE box. Came out ahead.

Battle mechanics and dungeon design are quite rough at times, but overall I liked it okay. Some good moments for the characters and some music tracks I enjoyed.

Steam has a "complete your collection" bundle option for 1 & 2, so I'm waiting to get a decent price on 2 at some point.

bread's done
Back