Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the content of Attack on Titan covered in Final Battle 2 or is it unique?  Either way, I'm probably going to sell my sealed copy of the first game (PS4).

Is the content of Attack on Titan covered in Final Battle 2 or is it unique? Either way, I'm probably going to sell my sealed copy of the first game (PS4).
I don't own it myself so wait for others to chime in, but I was browsing the listing on the Xbox sale and wondering the same:

"[Warning]

This version of "Attack on Titan 2" contains the content from "Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle Upgrade Pack". If you already have the original "Attack on Titan 2", please purchase the "Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle Upgrade Pack" content instead."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/attack-on-titan-2-final-battle/bprc68m9r1jz?activetab=pivot:eek:verviewtab

As long you don't buy the one labeled as an upgrade pack for AoT 2, then it sounds like it includes the content for AoT 2.
Unless AoT 2 already included AoT 1 then I'm doubtful it includes content from "the first game". Unless you happened to mean "AoT 2" by "the first game" :D

I have a copy of the first game (Attack on Titan) which says it covers season 1.  The AoT2 Final Battle description says it covers seasons 1 through 3 so it’s a bit confusing.  I’ll just wait for the Final Final Battle that covers all of the seasons!

Mangagamer recently released MUSICUS! There is a 10% discount on release for just the first week. This is also one of the few games they got to release on Steam. Note that it's considered an 18+ title. Looks fun.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Steam (NSFW)

Their next game to release is Funbag Fantasy 3F. It releases 05-06-2021. This looks like a standalone game, so you can play it without the others. I like these games, so I hope this is a good one. Discount for pre-ordering on Mangagamer and will be on Steam too on release, which I'm sure will have a release week discount as well.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Steam (NSFW)

I have a copy of the first game (Attack on Titan) which says it covers season 1. The AoT2 Final Battle description says it covers seasons 1 through 3 so it’s a bit confusing. I’ll just wait for the Final Final Battle that covers all of the seasons!
The first season is covered in both games. In the first game you play as a set character each mission, generally the one who is most important to what is happening in the story at the time. In the second game you play through it as your own OC instead.

Furthermore, in the first game you simply go from mission to mission but in the second game there is a whole persona-esque life sim between each mission where you can explore town and work on social links with almost any named character from the first few seasons.

The only reason to play the first game is if you want to play through the story as the actual characters from the anime. It adds a bit more gameplay variety since each character plays differently: like Armin is a crap fighter but he massively buffs the NPCs in your squad, Eren can use his titan form, and Levi is stupidly OP. But the second game has so many combat improvements and new mechanics I think it more then makes up for that.

Target has a new 10% off Circle offer going on right now on most video games.  I noticed Saviors of Sapphire Wings & Stranger of Sword City (Switch) is eligible, but Trails of Cold Steel IV (Switch) is not. 

I was finally able to snag a copy but my shipping date is June... yikes.

Also, didn't realize Shantae Half-Genie Ultimate reprint would be sold elsewhere... thought it was LRG only. Would have rather not given them my money for something I could have bought elsewhere.
Yeah, XSEED's own site had it for sale, along with Amazon (where I ordered a copy). I'm with you, I hate ordering from LRG when there are other options since LRG is one of the few websites that doesn't have a free shipping threshold.

Yeah that one was just a distribution deal for LRG.

I think that more or less only their numbered series are exclusives, so you could check to see if it has a LRG #xyz next time you're considering something

Anyone playing Monster Hunter Rise?
A bit late to reply, but I did finally finish off the last of my unfinished hub missions after ~60 hours playing on and off since launch (solo). I love the feel of the game...the combat, traversal, the areas, and how many monsters the game throws at you in the opening hours...but then it's just over 30-40 hours later. Wha? A patch is coming later this month that adds more monsters along with a proper ending but I just couldn't believe it ended so unceremoniously after World and Iceborne. It doesn't help that the game doesn't have Investigations or Events, either. It feels weird to complain after the game has already given me so much playtime but I can't help but be a bit disappointed, looking back.

A patch is coming later this month that adds more monsters along with a proper ending but I just couldn't believe it ended so unceremoniously after World and Iceborne.
This can't be stressed enough lol. I think this is the first time I've ever played a non-early access game where it literally just doesn't have an ending. Seen some talk online that they had to make some cuts or they would have had to delay the game and I completely believe it. Only saving grace is that Capcom is very good about supporting MH long term so we know the content will be there eventually.

But yeah, you beat the final boss and there is a cutscene about how she isn't really the final boss and.... That's it. No new missions to pick up, the weapon tree still has a column in it that's just a question mark, and there isn't even a second set of credits like usual.

Also not really much of an endgame right now other then grinding talismans. Granted World didn't launch with a very good endgame either but investigations helped add variety to the decoration grind. Rise doesn't even have that which makes it feel stale a bit faster. I'm already at the point where I am starting to just mess around with other weapons since my main set is complete other than a talisman with godly stat rolls on it.

Yeah that one was just a distribution deal for LRG.

I think that more or less only their numbered series are exclusives, so you could check to see if it has a LRG #xyz next time you're considering something
It honestly just sounds like any other LRG distributed release... only noting it's not part of the LRG's numbered release. It just came off as something like the Gris variant cover where LRG was selling a specific variant of the game; in this case a non-collectors edition reprint. But reality seems like this game was just reprinted by Xseed since it's available at multiple retailers and the whole "pre-order only" thing was just BS.

I've been out of it for a long while now so I could very well be wrong and the word of the NS Half-Genie reprint might have been well known.. but even then, I just find that product page kinda misleading.

Nabbed Ryza for $40 this morning on Amazon. I decided I'm just going for the full mainline Atelier set from the PS3 up (one version of each game anyway). With Ryza bought, just need Shallie, Sophie, Luluia and Ryza 2 to complete that.

I found Robtics:Note for switch at my Best Buy on clearance for 17. They also had the PS4 day 1 version (pins) for 36, but I went with the switch copy.

No NA physical release. However I am afraid of possible censorship in the Asian version
Is that confirmed? I recall hearing releases with artbooks, though those could be digital.

I'd consider importing but first need to know all the games and the DLC are on the disc.

Is that confirmed? I recall hearing releases with artbooks, though those could be digital.

I'd consider importing but first need to know all the games and the DLC are on the disc.
Play-asia's site mentions all three games on one cart, but no specifics on the DLC for both JP and ASN.

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection includes:

- NINJA GAIDEN Sigma (NINJA GAIDEN Σ)
- NINJA GAIDEN Sigma 2 (NINJA GAIDEN Σ2)
- NINJA GAIDEN 3: Razor's Edge
- Classic Costumes
- DLC Costumes

*While supplies last.

Note: Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection comes with 3 games in 1 cartridge.

Play-asia's site mentions all three games on one cart, but no specifics on the DLC for both JP and ASN.
I would get it for PS4. As for Switch, I'm skeptical they could fit all three on a cartridge. Capcom didn't bother to do that with Revelations because it didn't want to pay more for a larger cartridge. I'd be surprised if Tecmo would handle it any differently.

I like PlayAsia, but I don't trust their preorder descriptions. They get things wrong.

I would get it for PS4. As for Switch, I'm skeptical they could fit all three on a cartridge. Capcom didn't bother to do that with Revelations because it didn't want to pay more for a larger cartridge. I'd be surprised if Tecmo would handle it any differently.

I like PlayAsia, but I don't trust their preorder descriptions. They get things wrong.
That's a good point, I went ahead and checked the website and amazon.jp for any mention of the how the physical was packaged and came up short.

On the other hand, I don't know if both RE:R games would have fit on one cart, esp. when the game came out; Nintendo's website lists them as around 36GB together.

Not sure anyone cares but VideoGames 911 on Amazon has the ESRB PS4 version of Disaster Report 4 for $58+$5 shipping which is near msrp. The game has been hovering the $95-$130 area for awile and PS5 does fix the performance issues from the PS4/Switch versions. I was a bit skeptical at first but I got my copy in on Friday and it was legit. I was also pretty happy to find out I claimed the Epilogue DLC back when it was free on release. 

https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Report-Summer-Memories-PlayStation-4/dp/B07TQ9V2KV

Good to know about the PS5 helping. It does help with some games for sure even if it's not an official PS5 enhancement. I noticed Judgement playing better, but I was using a launch PS4, so it may have had Pro enhancements already. I got DR4 digitally though, so I'll have to try it out.

That's a good point, I went ahead and checked the website and amazon.jp for any mention of the how the physical was packaged and came up short.
On the other hand, I don't know if both RE:R games would have fit on one cart, esp. when the game came out; Nintendo's website lists them as around 36GB together.
I'm just going to wait until the game is out so we can know for sure what is and is not on the disc.

Not sure anyone cares but VideoGames 911 on Amazon has the ESRB PS4 version of Disaster Report 4 for $58+$5 shipping which is near msrp. The game has been hovering the $95-$130 area for awile and PS5 does fix the performance issues from the PS4/Switch versions. I was a bit skeptical at first but I got my copy in on Friday and it was legit. I was also pretty happy to find out I claimed the Epilogue DLC back when it was free on release.

https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Report-Summer-Memories-PlayStation-4/dp/B07TQ9V2KV
The game also totally rules. Not in a it's a high quality big budget kinda game... It's not. It's fairly low budget, lower quality, buggy and has plenty of frame rate issues. That said I found it to be such a unique, charming and fun experience it was well worth the price of entry. It was very reminiscant of the yakuza game substitutes to me. Bought the game digitally and if I wasn't on a tight budget I'd be all over picking it up physically for that price

Good to know about the PS5 helping. It does help with some games for sure even if it's not an official PS5 enhancement. I noticed Judgement playing better, but I was using a launch PS4, so it may have had Pro enhancements already. I got DR4 digitally though, so I'll have to try it out.
The performance upgrade is pretty transformative. The game runs at 1080p on PS4 uncapped and drops below 30 a ton. It seems locked at 60 on PS5

https://youtu.be/IMVRNJwyIYo

fuck, I've been wanting this game.

Damn, looks like I missed out on this. I would've loved to pick it up for that price!  I've been wanting to get it for a while, but can't justify the high prices it usually fetches.

So, now Sony hasn't reversed course on closing their digital stores, but they've at least walked back what they originally had planned.

The PSP's on-line storefront will be closing down, but the Vita and PS3 will continue to have digital sales supported. This is good news in general. I would still like to see PSP digital game sales supported for the Vita, but in general we will be losing a lot less from this. Now if we could just get digital PSP and PS1 titles playable on the PS4 and PS5, I'd be satisfied.

It says $64.88 for me

Edit: Says 2 sold at $56.99 and 1 at $64.88. Probably trying to avoid people canceling the Amazon one.
Like me. I managed to snag it at $56.98. Yeah, that sucks for other people though. I wonder if they get a better cut from eBay sales or Amazon?

Like me. I managed to snag it at $56.98. Yeah, that sucks for other people though. I wonder if they get a better cut from eBay sales or Amazon?
$60+ for this game is IMHO way too much. Expect the price for this to even out once the CAGers/scalpers are done. Got to try this out; this is NOT a good game.

I don't think anyone thinks it's a good game. It's the 60 fps on PS5 that pretty much swayed me.
Of course, folks are free to buy whatever games they want. I will say only that it says a lot about this industry that some customers will buy bad games for $60+ only because they think it will be worth something in the future. I know some folks honestly want to play it, but I'd venture to guess that makes up a small portion of people who are buying this mess of a game that relies on game play stuck in the 1990s.

I've said it before - I can't think of another consumer industry where customers actively buy out bad products at or above MSRP with zero intent to use them based on speculation that those bad products may be worth something down the road. We're talking about items that are made to be played sitting in sealed plastic (and even plastic cases).

Sometimes, I really wonder whether the whole collecting aspect that has invaded this industry is a good thing ... or a terrible, terrible thing that wrongly awards bad games, bad developers, and opportunistic publishers.

It's fine if you tried it and didnt care for it. But if you just read one page back you'll see a cag who played the whole game and has positive things to say. I picked up a disc-only copy a few months ago after hearing positive things from several people.

I liked the PS2 game and figured it would be similar. I read a few other stories of people who really enjoyed it and it being held back a lot from bad performance even if the game mechanically functions like an early PS3 game. I am interested in checking it out but Nier has been shipped lol

It's fine if you tried it and didnt care for it. But if you just read one page back you'll see a cag who played the whole game and has positive things to say. I picked up a disc-only copy a few months ago after hearing positive things from several people.
I liked the PS2 game and figured it would be similar. I read a few other stories of people who really enjoyed it and it being held back a lot from bad performance even if the game mechanically functions like an early PS3 game. I am interested in checking it out but Nier has been shipped lol
And again, I'm not knocking on those who actually want to play it. Ultimately, the scalpers/speculators are partly the reason why those folks will end up having to pay inflated prices at/above MSRP for bad (or mediocre) games like this. It's just an observation that I think is becoming more of an issue in this industry as fly-by-night speculators invade in greater numbers looking to make (allegedly) quick bucks off gamers' backs. It sucks that everyone in this industry - from devs to publishers to even so-called enthusiasts - are all just out to fleece the real players. Oh well ... I'm just growing tired of it all. May be this is the last gen for me for more reasons than one.

Atelier Sophie, Firis, and Lydie & Suelle are getting delisted in another day to replace them with the DX versions.

On PC the new versions will NOT support Windows 7 officially, and on PS4 will not support PS Vita cross save. Sophie is also a 32 bit windows application instead of 64 bit so it can run a little bit better on low spec computers. The DX versions add gameplay enhancements and in the case of Lydie & Suelle, provides the entire content of the $80 DLC pack. 

I remember someone mentioning either here or in another topic that lost sphear was cheaper if you import it and is in english for the asian release.  Anyone have a link to the page on amazon specifically as I can't seem to find it myself. I think amazon jp was mentioned but I am not sure. 

I bought DR4 because I was also swayed by the 60fps performance on the PS5 and the review on the previous page. I always try to buy physical and have had my eye on the game for over a year, but was not going to pay $100+ for the game. So MSRP is fine for me. It's a niche Japanese game, and I'm not expecting a masterpiece. But I love quirky Japanese games, flaws and all.

I do agree with the sentiment of collectors/scalpers buying up low print titles to flip, but that's been a thing for at least 15 or 20 years now. Still sucks for people who just want to play a game.  The past 2-5 years have definitely exploded and driven up prices in the retro collectors market, along with prices for low print current gen games like this and Atelier Ryza soar with flippers. Probably another topic tho.

Must have been a reprint of DR4. That seller sold out on his amazon listing and his first listing on ebay. Now he has a second listing with more than 10 available.

bread's done
Back