Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
What was the fiasco?
Back around the mid-00s, they listed brand new copies of Persona 2 and Rhapsody for $40 or $50 (or something), which was a great price since at the time, both games were pretty pricey (like $80-90 used range). None of us CAGs knew there was a reprint, nor did anyone really know who GQD was so everyone was suspicious (but still ordered it) and the store maintained that they just found a few cases of the game in a warehouse.

Once we started getting the games and found that they did not have a white security strip- everyone was up in arms because 1) as far as I know, this was the first time games were reprinted or possibly one of the first times, 2) being a time when you could actually find games on sale, knowing the market prices plummet meant many would have rather waited for a cheap used copy, and 3) GQD lied. Obviously at the time, point #1 was a more contentious point... collectors weren't used to the concept of reprints and non-collectors were happy to have a copy to play, but all agreed that GQD lied about the situation.

I was able to find a story about it, this is prob way better/more detailed than my short story.

https://www.siliconera.com/the-business-of-reprints/

EDIT* I should add that beyond this issue, they're DealTavern/GQD are a perfectly fine retailer. You'll get legit copies of games but if you want something from them, buy it now if you like the price. They jack up their prices to match market.

EDIT2* I found my old receipt for Persona 2/Rhapsody- they were $50 each.

oh the dealtavern user on ebay

is everything they sell a reprint?

i try to avoid ordering anything from them but i got a copy of 7th dragon iii for $40 a while ago and it was the big box version people were selling for $100~

oh the dealtavern user on ebay

is everything they sell a reprint?

i try to avoid ordering anything from them but i got a copy of 7th dragon iii for $40 a while ago and it was the big box version people were selling for $100~
I ordered from them regularly until like a year ago and can say no, not everything is a reprint. They are a normal retailer so they keep inventory of new releases and whatnot like anyone else. But unlike most places, they don't put anything on sale so their inventory hangs around for quite a long time. But if you do happen to find a older, hard to find game and they happen to have tons of copies- then odds are they ordered a reprint.

Only reason I stopped ordering from them is because of a return issue- I ordered a copy of Fatal Frame 3 and it arrived in horrible shape. I asked for a return and they said shelf wear is normal (about 1/10th of the shrinkwrap was ripped off, there was heavy external cosmetic damage) but I could return it without any restocking fee... but then they charged me a restocking fee upon return, and flat out refused to acknowledge the restocking free, even though Amazon shows a line that says restocking fee.

Sounds like gamestop but without the odds of something coming disc/cart only. I looked through their list out of curiosity and most of the stuff they have is reasonably priced outside older stuff like the ps2 atelier titles that they want 50-80$ for.  If they had something that was actually rare like mana khemia 2 I could justify the price jump.  But no way would the iris games go for that much dosh.  Sadly nothing else they had that I specifically wanted. 

Back around the mid-00s, they listed brand new copies of Persona 2 and Rhapsody for $40 or $50 (or something), which was a great price since at the time, both games were pretty pricey (like $80-90 used range). None of us CAGs knew there was a reprint, nor did anyone really know who GQD was so everyone was suspicious (but still ordered it) and the store maintained that they just found a few cases of the game in a warehouse.

Once we started getting the games and found that they did not have a white security strip- everyone was up in arms because 1) as far as I know, this was the first time games were reprinted or possibly one of the first times, 2) being a time when you could actually find games on sale, knowing the market prices plummet meant many would have rather waited for a cheap used copy, and 3) GQD lied. Obviously at the time, point #1 was a more contentious point... collectors weren't used to the concept of reprints and non-collectors were happy to have a copy to play, but all agreed that GQD lied about the situation.

I was able to find a story about it, this is prob way better/more detailed than my short story.

EDIT* I should add that beyond this issue, they're DealTavern/GQD are a perfectly fine retailer. You'll get legit copies of games but if you want something from them, buy it now if you like the price. They jack up their prices to match market.

EDIT2* I found my old receipt for Persona 2/Rhapsody- they were $50 each.
Is there any way to determine whether a copy of Rhapsody is this reprint version or not? I bought a copy sometime around the mid-00s, but I don’t remember the circumstances and this is my first time hearing about any of this.

Is there any way to determine whether a copy of Rhapsody is this reprint version or not? I bought a copy sometime around the mid-00s, but I don’t remember the circumstances and this is my first time hearing about any of this.
For sealed copies, it's easy- the original releases had the white security strip and the reprints did not (this was around the time Sony stopped using the white security strips on their games, PS2 games as well).

If your copy is opened, then as far as I know, they're identical and no way to tell them apart... with the only exception being the case plastic. Original PS1 game jewel cases were thicker/heavier plastic than subsequent releases (much like the end of life PS2 game cases where the mem card slot was removed, those also use thinner plastic). I can for certain say this is true- PS1 game cases did get lighter but I'm unsure if Persona 2 reprint came out around the time such case changes were made.

EDIT* Here's examples for sealed copies:

Security strip original release- https://www.ebay.com/itm/384159678808?hash=item5971b38158%3Ag%3AKIYAAOSwZe5gm1T9&LH_ItemCondition=1000

No security strip reprint- https://www.ebay.com/itm/233963620345?hash=item36795187f9%3Ag%3ALm0AAOSwNpRgcx%7E6&LH_ItemCondition=1000

It is interesting how reprints sometimes have something slightly different.

I remember GameStop scoring some reprints of some rarer Wii games and selling them as used, like Dokapon Kingdom, but the art on the disc (at least for that game) was a different color I believe.

Correct, they reprinted them and then sold them for way above MSRP because of the rarity of the game. Don't remember if they were listing them as new or used since it has been so long but it was a pretty dirty play. 

per the article:
"A representative spokesperson has said that they decided to unload a sizeable amount of inventory to Gamestop at a bulk price. However since Gamestop sells used copies of these games at a higher price they’ve taken the liberty of unsealing and selling the brand new game as a used copy."
lmao I didn't know gamestop was pulling this shit before xenoblade

Well since I've derailed the thread with reprint talk, I just realized there were reprints long before the aforementioned Persona 2/Rhapsody reprints and I actually own some of them (I found this out years after the Persona 2/Rhapsody):

-Turtles in Time and Super Return of the Jedi - Majesco reprinted both after their original release and the reprints have B&W manuals and have Majesco on the box.

-Final Fantasy Adventure and Legends I-III on the Game Boy: Square printed the original and Sunsoft reprinted them, and as far as I know they're the same expect for the Square logo being replaced by the Sunsoft logo.

It is interesting how reprints sometimes have something slightly different.

I remember GameStop scoring some reprints of some rarer Wii games and selling them as used, like Dokapon Kingdom, but the art on the disc (at least for that game) was a different color I believe.
I think the original Dokapon Kingdom had a blue etched artwork, whereas the reprint had a color disc artwork. There were other Wii reprints too on top of Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade (The Calling, One Piece). Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition was reprinted too.

With Nintendo, there were also tons of French Canadian reprints in the late Wii/early 3DS days... this is easy to tell because originals have English only on the back of the Box and ESRB logo while reprints have English/French. Ocarina of Time 3D was of them and I think Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn was another.

DealTavern is possibly the scummiest game seller online lol. I've gotten "International Version UAE" garbage from them multiple times that they have listed as NTSC. They ignore your messages until you have to get eBay or Amazon involved "every" time, its happened multiple times because sadly they have some items where you literally have no other choice. Condition is a huge gamble, I've gotten destroyed things they actually thought was ok to sell to bad things in almost all instances, a few good items, great items maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 times. If you have an issue that's blatantly their fault and you call them out on it they block you flat out, no communication. They basically were sitting on a ton of shit value retro stuff for years with their shitty stock photos, got lucky as "F" when the market spiked and now like another guy said they consistently raise prices. That luck couldn't have happened to a shittier company in my opinion. If you alert them to an item by buying multiples, they'll cancel your order and raise the price, I've seen that happen numerous times.

Correct, they reprinted them and then sold them for way above MSRP because of the rarity of the game. Don't remember if they were listing them as new or used since it has been so long but it was a pretty dirty play.
They were selling them as used. That's the especially scummy part. As if they wanted to print them and sell them at msrp that'd be fine. But printing them and then selling them used to bypass that is shady. Made worse since it kept the prices inflated until people finally started to catch on a while later. It definitely wasn't a rare game though. Honestly I'm unsure of why the price spiked in the first place.

They were selling them as used. That's the especially scummy part. As if they wanted to print them and sell them at msrp that'd be fine. But printing them and then selling them used to bypass that is shady. Made worse since it kept the prices inflated until people finally started to catch on a while later. It definitely wasn't a rare game though. Honestly I'm unsure of why the price spiked in the first place.
Scummy as it may be, Gamestop couldn't just reprint those games without Nintendo's approval, so it's not entirely fair JUST to blame Gamestop for what happened. Nintendo also gets the blame for letting the company do it. Whatever the deal was, lots of copies of Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid Trilogy showed up at Gamestops. For all we know, the reason they all showed up used was because Nintendo reprinted the games, took a big cut, and then had Gamestop sell them "used." It wouldn't make sense for this to happen at the scale it did without NOA being involved/sanctioning the sales.

In the end, I will say one benefit of this was that these games became more available to more players. Until then, they were hard to find, so it was good to see the reprints. Personally, I am ALL FOR publishers helping to reprint games. Frankly, it's surprising Gamestop didn't do more of this using its retail influence. Rather than publish original games, the company could have truly taken its slogan, power to the players, by helping bring OOP games back for sale. That would have been a great brand assist, and helped move a lot of units through exclusivity (far better and more on-brand than Funkopop exclusives). GameQuest Direct did this for a few games, and it proved very helpful for certain publishers to widen their customer base. Oh well. I suppose Gamestop could strike a deal with LRG, but even there, looks like Best Buy beat them to it.

NOA was just a little shit in general around the early 10s. They’ve gotten a bit better about not holding frigging Nintendo first party games hostage, but they still love their whole false scarcity schtick.

The reprint talk is fascinating, especially that GameQuestDirect article. I have been noticing some rare PS4 titles get reprinted lately as well, dropping the price back down to msrp levels.

As I've said a million times over games are a bad investment and playing on what will be rare is a fools game. I like reprints especially if it gets you a game you always wanted such as Xenoblade Chronicles back then. I got one of the reprints way back when (Ar Tonelico for PS2) from Goozex I think as well haha. I wasn't mad and I almost bought reprints of Yakuza 2 when VGP I believe did them a few years ago. Games are meant to be played and I would buy something like a Rule of Rose reprint (though honestly I'm not sure this game is too great). Of course we more hope for remasters/remakes, but eh whatever. More games in more peoples' hands is not a bad thing.

As I've said a million times over games are a bad investment and playing on what will be rare is a fools game. I like reprints especially if it gets you a game you always wanted such as Xenoblade Chronicles back then. I got one of the reprints way back when (Ar Tonelico for PS2) from Goozex I think as well haha. I wasn't mad and I almost bought reprints of Yakuza 2 when VGP I believe did them a few years ago. Games are meant to be played and I would buy something like a Rule of Rose reprint (though honestly I'm not sure this game is too great). Of course we more hope for remasters/remakes, but eh whatever. More games in more peoples' hands is not a bad thing.
The company that owns the Rule of Rose IP Onion Games sent out a survey back in March about a potential remaster for it, I filled it out and said yes I would like a remaster.

Every investment can be a bad investment because of XYZ, speculation is a part of it. It's not like anyone has a magic 8-ball regarding what will be a good investment.

But with tangible investments, at least you have something if it doesn't work out...

Comic book collectors have something to read.

Statue/toy collectors have something to display.

Car collectors have something to drive.

Video game collectors have something to play.

The company that owns the Rule of Rose IP Onion Games sent out a survey back in March about a potential remaster for it, I filled it out and said yes I would like a remaster.
I'd be curious if this happens because a) the game if fucking brutally hard to play (read: literally hard to play due to actual design flaws; also I think was actually a hard too but I never made it very far) so if they do graphics only remaster then I can't see it getting much in terms of good press but a gameplay overhaul would be more work, and b) there was some the controversy regarding the subject matter (can't remember what it was).

Scummy as it may be, Gamestop couldn't just reprint those games without Nintendo's approval, so it's not entirely fair JUST to blame Gamestop for what happened. Nintendo also gets the blame for letting the company do it. Whatever the deal was, lots of copies of Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid Trilogy showed up at Gamestops. For all we know, the reason they all showed up used was because Nintendo reprinted the games, took a big cut, and then had Gamestop sell them "used." It wouldn't make sense for this to happen at the scale it did without NOA being involved/sanctioning the sales.

In the end, I will say one benefit of this was that these games became more available to more players. Until then, they were hard to find, so it was good to see the reprints. Personally, I am ALL FOR publishers helping to reprint games. Frankly, it's surprising Gamestop didn't do more of this using its retail influence. Rather than publish original games, the company could have truly taken its slogan, power to the players, by helping bring OOP games back for sale. That would have been a great brand assist, and helped move a lot of units through exclusivity (far better and more on-brand than Funkopop exclusives). GameQuest Direct did this for a few games, and it proved very helpful for certain publishers to widen their customer base. Oh well. I suppose Gamestop could strike a deal with LRG, but even there, looks like Best Buy beat them to it.
No idea whether they could or not. Without details of the agreement where they were given exclusive distribution rights to it for brick n mortar in na we have no way of knowing for sure.

As for Nintendo they likely don't even know or care given that they had to have their arm twisted behind their backs to even release the damn game in the first place in na.

Ryza isn't exactly rare though so it never shot up. It sold over a million copies from what I heard. I don't think that one has been out of stock for very long each time it goes as it seems like every couple days it pops back up in stock. New copies going in and out of stock is certainly a new weird though. Same thing happened with qatherine port, 13 sentinels aegis rim, nier automata and sakura wars. I think indivisible as well.

I forgot about disaster report though. That one definitely is rare.

More games in more peoples' hands is not a bad thing.
I do agree with most of what you said, including this. But being dishonest about reprints specifically to make more money off high-demand prices is absolutely a bad thing. Xenoblade and Metroid were clearly reprints upon inspection; Gamestop withheld that information, opened them all up and sold them as used at much higher than MSRP. Profit is the only possible motive there. People essentially paid twenty dollars extra for Gamestop to open their games for them.

per the article:
"A representative spokesperson has said that they decided to unload a sizeable amount of inventory to Gamestop at a bulk price. However since Gamestop sells used copies of these games at a higher price they’ve taken the liberty of unsealing and selling the brand new game as a used copy."
lmao I didn't know gamestop was pulling this shit before xenoblade
Gamestop has been stepping over the boundaries for a LONG time.

No idea whether they could or not. Without details of the agreement where they were given exclusive distribution rights to it for brick n mortar in na we have no way of knowing for sure.

As for Nintendo they likely don't even know or care given that they had to have their arm twisted behind their backs to even release the damn game in the first place in na.
Yes, we'll never know the details, but reprints can't happen without the publisher involved. Platforms require discs be published through their centers. This is the reason why, for example, LRG is always in a queue to get its games published by Sony. Same is true with Nintendo. It's to make sure the piracy protection data remains secure.

So in other words, while we may not know what the terms of the contract was, there is zero chance Nintendo was not involved in approving the reprints. You're right they assuredly didn't care as long as GameStop was willing to give NOA a big cut, but Nintendo definitely knew and green-lit the move.

Again, I'm totally FOR reprints. Games are to play and the more gamers can easily access games is a good thing. High costs/rarity in the gaming space is purely artificial. Publishers can and should reprint games, and if companies like GameStop could help absorb costs/risks to bring more OOP games to stock, that'd be great for everyone.

I couldn't care less about those who buy games to keep sealed/to invest. People who want physical copies and want to play should be able to get them at a reasonable price -- not some ridiculously inflated price.

I got the Xenoblade reprint, but waited till it was on sale. I think it was for black friday they had them half off ($40).

The whole thing was really scummy, but it wasn't too bad once it was a fair price. I do feel bad for anyone that was taken advantage of by gamestop's greed and didn't hold off

I think Metroid was also half off then, but I already bought that when it originally released, so can't say for sure.

I was working at GS at the time of the Xenoblade reprint and we would often moved games over to "used" when they weren't selling or OOP or whatever reason the company decided at the time. We would get a list of games and need to remove them from the new section if we had any and gut them and place a used sticker on them. Most of the time they were games no one cared about and often they were niche games or older sports titles.  The same happened with Xenoblade though most stores had 0 copies so it was just something on the checklist that was ignored.

At some point our whole district had received brand "new" copies of Xenoblade that were immediately gutted and moved to used at the higher price which had been raised due to "the game's rarity" The same thing happened with Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, Yakuza 1/2, Fatal Frame, and other older games that got reprints later on after they had already been removed from the new section in the system. 

Atlus titles was a weird thing since due to p3's popularity increasing brand recognition atlus started doing reprints, larger print runs of them and that spilled over to all the smt titles after persona became their head liner. Though the reprints typically were missing the extras that came with the games original print like the art books or sound tracks and the like.  And in p3's case I believe it had a different cover for vanilla. iirc the raidou kuzunoha titles got reprinted around the same time as the dds and nocturne titles.  But in all those cases it wasn't sold exclusively through gs and could be bought on places like amazon at 20 bucks. 

What's funny is that some of these PS2 titles we're mentioning are -still- getting reprinted to this day, Fatal Frame 1,2 & 3, Yakuza 1 & 2, Digital Devil Saga, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, etc. Hell even PS1 games are still getting reprinted too like Final Fantasy Origins Collection, Final Fantasy Chronicles, Final Fantasy IX, etc.

What's funny is that some of these PS2 titles we're mentioning are -still- getting reprinted to this day, Fatal Frame 1,2 & 3, Yakuza 1 & 2, Digital Devil Saga, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, etc. Hell even PS1 games are still getting reprinted too like Final Fantasy Origins Collection, Final Fantasy Chronicles, Final Fantasy IX, etc.
I am not sure if those are still in print or if they are just leftover from the last reprint. Pre-orders weren't as big of a thing back then and they may have had to reprint things in a pretty large volume. A lot of DS games like DQ IV-VI, Chrono Trigger, and some other SE games all had overstock from the reprints that lasted for years before they finally just "ran out"

I am not sure if those are still in print or if they are just leftover from the last reprint. Pre-orders weren't as big of a thing back then and they may have had to reprint things in a pretty large volume. A lot of DS games like DQ IV-VI, Chrono Trigger, and some other SE games all had overstock from the reprints that lasted for years before they finally just "ran out"
Yeah, pretty sure there were massive reprints during the late 00s or early 10s, and they're still left over from that.

chrono cross immediately comes to mind. I doubt final fantasy's for the ps1 will continue getting reprints as they want that lazy port money.

chrono trigger square was definitely still reprinting till a couple years ago as they used to sell it on their webstore iirc.

The new/used switching is more than just GameStop trying to take advantage of reprint scarcity pricing. It's also a convenient way for them to screw the original publishers out of their cut of the profits. Sales of titles sold as new go in part to the publisher. Sales of titles sold as used don't. Policing this type of gutting becomes more difficult for older titles, or titles that have been removed from the "new" section of the computer system, so GameStop just does it by default.

Very scummy practice, and as usual, absolutely horrible for collectors. GameStop's whole business model is designed around the "rental" churn of new releases, it has little and less concern for preservation or appreciation.

The new/used switching is more than just GameStop trying to take advantage of reprint scarcity pricing. It's also a convenient way for them to screw the original publishers out of their cut of the profits. Sales of titles sold as new go in part to the publisher. Sales of titles sold as used don't. Policing this type of gutting becomes more difficult for older titles, or titles that have been removed from the "new" section of the computer system, so GameStop just does it by default.

Very scummy practice, and as usual, absolutely horrible for collectors. GameStop's whole business model is designed around the "rental" churn of new releases, it has little and less concern for preservation or appreciation.
I'm not sure if they still skirt paying the publisher when they convert to used though. But yeah normally used is a large profit for them while new is not so much. That is not even going into when they sell you new games as used and vice versa. Or the stuff that they had exclusively to sell for brick n mortar like tohr and xenoblade.

Speaking of people still seem to forget that those wern't sold exclusively through gamestop so I don't know how the manufacturing part worked in those cases.

I will point out that new converted to used does benefit us on occasion when the price used is lower than it was new and we still get a complete copy with all the extras. But gamestops always such a mixed bag that you never know whether the game you get will be

The correct game

a complete copy

generic case and disc/cart only

actual game case and cart/disc but no art work/inserts

disc/cart only in a yellow/green sleeve or plastic clamshell

damaged case

damaged cart/disc

or the most hilarious scenario of wrong case and no game inside.

Oh and add any missing discs from multi disc games and missing/redeemed dlc games. Had that happen when I bought resident evil collection on the switch and mega man which sucked.

Bring on the reprints I say.  Lol at collectors that hoard their games with extreme vanity over expensive values and don't have the mental fortitude to sell anything anyways.  Who cares what your collection "is worth" when you never sell anything; they sound like some old lady bragging about the value of her antiques.  The expensive stuff all comes down in value over time anyways because of reprints, digital releases, and HD remasters.  No one cares about the expensive prices of PS1 Suikoden 2 anymore for instance; you can simply buy the game digitally and no modest person is going to spend that kind of money. 

That was sweet 8 years ago when I was able to pick up all those newly pressed Shin Megami Tensei games on PS2 for like $19.99 apiece. 

I'm not sure if they still skirt paying the publisher when they convert to used though. But yeah normally used is a large profit for them while new is not so much. That is not even going into when they sell you new games as used and vice versa. Or the stuff that they had exclusively to sell for brick n mortar like tohr and xenoblade.
I don't think converting to used has anything to do with skirting publishers- GS buys the game for the new game price (at the time) from publishers. My understanding was converting to used only gets them to out of the ethical constraints of "MSRP".

Upcoming sale at Iffy
7df2b6f457160eab46572034c0b343bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

The price for some LE is more expensive than their black Friday sale
It’s still a better deal then MSRP, and you’re giving the money to the publisher rather then a reseller.

Personally, I’ve been looking for the Death End 2 LE, not really for the game but I like the bag. It’s been out of stock on their site for a while and I stopped checking. If I can get it for 25% off, I’ll consider that a win.

I think I’ve got some credit (from the BF sale) to spend on the store too, so it works out.

bread's done
Back