Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and niche games:

Buy Ryza 2 at MSRP after seeing what's happening with Ryza 1 prices and it shows up on a Target B2G1F sale.

Buy Ryza 1 over-MSRP thinking it's just gonna keep going up, and it gets reprinted.

Buy Ys IX at MSRP thinking it'll end up like Ys VIII, and it shows up in a different B2G1F sale at Target.

Buy ToCS III used for just under MSRP, and it goes on sale at the publisher's website.

fuck me.
We all have the same logic on this. Thats how they get you :)

To be fair the target sale people were extremely lucky to get in on as it sold out almost immediately. And even then you still had to pick up 2 other games or cancel\return.

I can sort of see the tales of vibe. But it plays more like god eater to me. Especially with the finishers to kill stuff and get material from them.

I picked up scarlet nexus on sale during the b3g2. I'll actually start it possibly today after sleep. Just finished tales of xillia 2 netting one of the bad endings. It's sad when the cameo battle ending is the only good one.
You’re not going to grind out the money to pay off your debt???

And I second your thoughts, SN is much more like God Eater then Tales.

F no I value my time far more than that crap that's required to finish it off. The debt system was not exaggerated at how terrible it was designed and Nova's harassment makes me wish she had been murdered permanently. Them calling you every few god damn seconds in game was so irritating. The saddest part is that I had maximum multipliers basically. food multiplier + 2x gald multiplier on from the beginning of the game nearly every battle while also doing linked encounters to minimize the usage of the food. AND I STILL ran into having to grind even after killing every giganto monster on the wanted list and or doing multiple fetch quests and kill x amount of rats.

I went to check out the ex dungeon and it's gated by having to max out your s links apparently. Who the hell thought ANY OF THIS was a good idea?

tldr tales of xillia 2 has a decent tales of combat system but the overall game is pretty horrible.

Just checked dekudeals... Cold Steel IV physical on Switch is down to 3rd party sellers on Amazon, No local stores in 100 miles for Gamestop (for me anyway) so a roll of the dice with online ordering, and Best Buy (which is where I got my copy last week).   So not quite gone yet, but I'm glad I went ahead and decided on fully playing the series last week before all the announcements.  It might be wise to grab it sooner rather than later.  I think with CS III on switch still being in stock they probably produced fewer copies of IV.

Yikes it's really shot up reseller wise along with most of the others.  if I miss out then I miss out but I'm not gonna pick it up just because of fomo he says while looking for the ps4 version. Maybe they will do a ps5 port down the road as well. Granted I should probably just bite the bullet as its not as if I didn't get 3 for 15 bucks or so when it was part of the 50% off sale. 

God Eater 3 is probably a better comparison at least for the combat while the rest of the game reminds me a lot of Berseria. Neither of these are really a bad thing but I do hope they can expand and improve on the framework in the inevitable sequels.

Xilla 2 was terrible, full stop. I really wanted to like that one but the silent protag and debt system just killed all the fun there was to be had. Shame too since Xilla 1 was a great game. Speaking of Xilla and SN, maybe I will play through both routes this time around.

Despite not enjoying the demo I picked up Scarlet Nexus since it was on sale everywhere for $50. Glad I changed my mind on it as it is quite enjoyable. The demo just dropped you into the middle of it with all your abilities and just kind of set you loose whereas the full game eases you into the mechanics and how to properly use them. Each person seems to describe this game in a different way and reminds them of "Game X mixed with Game Y", for me, it comes off like a modern day Tales Of game and will due nicely until September.
The demo sold me on the game because they let you try out most of the mechanics. The actual game starts out pretty slow (like most JRPGs). I started enjoying the combat again after about 5 hours when you unlock a full roster and abilities.

Am I the only one who played the demo and didn’t even remotely get the impression that it was supposed to be an RPG? It felt like a typical Japanese action game with a tacked on character growth system to me, not an action RPG.

Mail call!

Disgaea-6-pickup.jpg

Miss the days when all the Collector's Edition content was sealed in 1 box. Hate the game on the side BS that's big these days too.

Miss the days when all the Collector's Edition content was sealed in 1 box. Hate the game on the side BS that's big these days too.
Back in the day getting Fire Emblem Fates preorderd at GS got me a keychain set that was not in the box. It didn't bother me at all. I don't expect a store exclusive item should be packed in. Now games not packaged inside of a CE... that's just dumb low effort stuff. Same for a CE with a download code in the box and no physical game.

I think they did that for the collectors that don't like opening the collector's edition just to get the game and lose all it's value. With the game on the side, the box is still sealed and safe.

It's dumb but I get the attempt

I think they did that for the collectors that don't like opening the collector's edition just to get the game and lose all it's value. With the game on the side, the box is still sealed and safe.

It's dumb but I get the attempt
Apparently some of the ratings boards were also starting to be interested in the content of art books and posters (all the Japanese preorder artworks which wouldn't even pass Nintendo's lax policies) so they created a collection box with no game console branding on it.

Apparently some of the ratings boards were also starting to be interested in the content of art books and posters (all the Japanese preorder artworks which wouldn't even pass Nintendo's lax policies) so they created a collection box with no game console branding on it.
Now that makes sense.

That does make sense.

I don't mind it, but it does make me question if I actually want to open the box if I already have the game.. Then I question if I really wanted the extra stuff and should've just gotten the regular edition.

But we all know the cycle, you keep buying more :D

I did put up the poster from Neptunia reVerse's LE recently, as well as the mini one in Megadimension Neptunia VII. Used the mousepad from the DERQ 1 LE for a bit too. So sometimes it gets used!

Hi everyone - did anyone import Ninja Gaiden Master Collection for PS4? If so, could you please share whether all three games and content are on-disc? Or if there anything requires Internet downloading?

I typically will only buy these collections if all the content is on disc.

Thanks!

Update: the unboxings I've seen don't appear to show the inclusion of any codes, but would still appreciate it if anyone can confirm there are no major downloads required.

Looks like NISA wants more Disgaea 6 sales.  they have the following [customspoiler='eshop promo']If you own Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny, you can get a 10% discount on the following titles*:
The Alliance Alive HD Remastered
The Caligula Effect: Overdose
Disgaea 1 Complete
Disgaea 4 Complete+
Disgaea 5 Complete
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
Langrisser I & II
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
Conversely, if you own any of the above titles, you’ll save 10% on Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny!
These special owner discounts end on August 31, so don’t wait to celebrate, dood [/customspoiler]

Oh boy 10% off where can I get 20? I'll wait till the game goes around $20 like I do more most of the Disgaea games. I haven't even really beaten any since the first 2.

Hi everyone - did anyone import Ninja Gaiden Master Collection for PS4? If so, could you please share whether all three games and content are on-disc? Or if there anything requires Internet downloading?

I typically will only buy these collections if all the content is on disc.

Thanks!

Update: the unboxings I've seen don't appear to show the inclusion of any codes, but would still appreciate it if anyone can confirm there are no major downloads required.
I just opened my asia PS4 version and there's no code inside but I think it's downloading all 3 digital version of the game. You probably going to need internet connection.

I just opened my asia PS4 version and there's no code inside but I think it's downloading all 3 digital version of the game. You probably going to need internet connection.
Thanks. BUT Really? Can anyone also chime in? Does the disc just act as an access pass to download the games?

I just went with digital for the collection so can't really give a concrete answer, but, all 3 games are only about 13 gig total so it'd be kinda weird if they weren't on the disc. There are multiple threads on gamefaqs about the physical release and I didn't see a single post about the games not being on disc, so that sounds weird. I assume at least one person would make a big deal if it was the case. Could ask there if you have an account and no one else here can answer.

Oh and one last thing I'd point out, all 3 games are different apps (which is pretty weird for this style of collection) so even if all 3 games were on the disc your PS4/5 download list would give you notifications that it is installing all 3 games separately.

Looks like NISA wants more Disgaea 6 sales. they have the following [customspoiler='eshop promo']If you own Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny, you can get a 10% discount on the following titles*:
The Alliance Alive HD Remastered
The Caligula Effect: Overdose
Disgaea 1 Complete
Disgaea 4 Complete+
Disgaea 5 Complete
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
Langrisser I & II
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
Conversely, if you own any of the above titles, you’ll save 10% on Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny!
These special owner discounts end on August 31, so don’t wait to celebrate, dood [/customspoiler]
What would have been really clever is if you owned each one of those and got an additional percentage off. Didn't have to be 10% per. Though getting it for free if you owned the others would certainly get them sales for their catalog.

Huh I already own everything on that list besides refrain, caligula, alliance and cs4 granted most of those on other platforms like ps4.

Damn  I went with the Limited Edition of Disgaea 6 otherwise I would've probably picked up something with the 10% off. Although 10% off isn't really that big of a discount considering a lot of these games go on sale all the time anyways

Is NISA's shipping just super bad these days? I ordered a Cold Steel 3 last Saturday when it was on sale and it shipped today... but there's no tracking info in the email nor in my account on the "shipped" tab. 

Is NISA's shipping just super bad these days? I ordered a Cold Steel 3 last Saturday when it was on sale and it shipped today... but there's no tracking info in the email nor in my account on the "shipped" tab.
Quality Packaging always fulfilling NISA orders, open up USPS Informed Delivery to see if you have any incoming tracking from them.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Scarlet nexus story and characters are really ticking me off. I seriously hope that I get to kill that certain character soon or bare minimum some incredibly horrible fate befalls them.

Shiden really needs a good ass whooping already. He probably left kudama because she ignores it and didn't have a reaction. Kasame is similar in that she lacks an emotional response to his idiocy and pot stirring.

Tsugumi seems really nice and is a surrogate relationship with kasame like Naomi. Speaking of I am guessing any characters that didn't join the party are by this point likely npc only. So Naomi and Nagi. The former of which for plot reasons anyway since she's a non combat power basically and is used for operations coordinator.

I just went with digital for the collection so can't really give a concrete answer, but, all 3 games are only about 13 gig total so it'd be kinda weird if they weren't on the disc. There are multiple threads on gamefaqs about the physical release and I didn't see a single post about the games not being on disc, so that sounds weird. I assume at least one person would make a big deal if it was the case. Could ask there if you have an account and no one else here can answer.

Oh and one last thing I'd point out, all 3 games are different apps (which is pretty weird for this style of collection) so even if all 3 games were on the disc your PS4/5 download list would give you notifications that it is installing all 3 games separately.
I had to download all 3 games separtely using the disc.

Scarlet nexus story and characters are really ticking me off. I seriously hope that I get to kill that certain character soon or bare minimum some incredibly horrible fate befalls them.

Shiden really needs a good ass whooping already. He probably left kudama because she ignores it and didn't have a reaction. Kasame is similar in that she lacks an emotional response to his idiocy and pot stirring.

Tsugumi seems really nice and is a surrogate relationship with kasame like Naomi. Speaking of I am guessing any characters that didn't join the party are by this point likely npc only. So Naomi and Nagi. The former of which for plot reasons anyway since she's a non combat power basically and is used for operations coordinator.
Shiden was my favorite character in the demo. He was delightfully annoyed by everything.

Nope they have some of the best shipping IMO, unlike LRG where you have no idea where your package is half the time. Not charging you for preorders months in advance also helps.

Shiden was my favorite character in the demo. He was delightfully annoyed by everything.
it'd be one thing if he was just the straight man but he's an insufferable jerk Even when you try to help him. I'm also irritated with him constantly going off on his own and lack of respect for chain of command. It's one thing to complain about kasame being in charge but he shouldn't have any justification for Gemma given that he has seniority in both rank and age.

Quality Packaging always fulfilling NISA orders, open up USPS Informed Delivery to see if you have any incoming tracking from them.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
Yep, NIS likely won't send you a shipping e-mail until a day or two after you receive the game. There is definitely something wrong with their customer management system.

Tsugumi seems really nice and is a surrogate relationship with kasame like Naomi. Speaking of I am guessing any characters that didn't join the party are by this point likely npc only. So Naomi and Nagi.
Yeah, neither are party members. Sounds like you're pretty early since both of them get ejected from the plot pretty fast as they go do other things.

Not sure who you're playing as but Yuito's story has a far more upbeat tone to it, especially the deeper you get into the game. Very much the Japanese-friendship is our power kind of thing you see in tons of stuff. Which character you're playing as determines which NPCs you spend more time with and Yuito does not interact with Shiden as much as Kasane does.

I picked Yuito just because I think he's more fun to play, especially the further you get into the game as more combat stuff unlocks. But after getting to know all the characters I am extra glad I started with him because I prefer the characters he spends more time with.

They're just really behind on shipping I think. I had the Disgaea 6 LE preordered and they didn't ship it until the night of release day. I won't get it till Friday but at least I'll have it in time for the weekend. For awhile I thought maybe they shipped it without tracking but they sent the tracking once it actually left their warehouse. If the status on the order doesn't say complete, it hasn't shipped yet.

Just got a surprise announcement from Spike Chunsoft, Ai the Somnium Files is getting a sequel.

Ai the Somnium Files nirvanA Initiative is coming in 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gerfrf3qo9I

iInDHAR.png

Official Site: https://www.spike-chunsoft.co.jp/ai-nirvana/en/

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1449200/AI_THE_SOMNIUM_FILES__nirvanA_Initiative/

Going to share some ideas on what to get with the Play-asia free shipping sale. It does work on preorders.

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - I don't think we got a confirmation on a physical release for this in the US.

Super Robot Wars 30 - Confirmed eng subs for Asia release and we know this ain't coming west.

Legend of Mana Remastered - Digital only in the west

Atelier Mysterious Trilogy Deluxe - Digital only in the west

Touhou Spell Bubble - This isn't a great discount or anything but the digital only US release is $55 so the physical is already way cheaper. It is an incredible puzzlexrhythm game hybrid.

P.S. Use coupon code GEMATSU for 5% off. SWITCHWATCHTV also works. There may be others but I don't know of any that give more than 5% off.

Again, I know most of us aren’t into mobile gaming, but seeing as it’s the only way I know of currently to purchase these versions for anything newer than a PSP, it’s worth noting that Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are being delisted from iOS and Android (as are 5 and 6, but those are the terrible versions). FF1 and 2 mobile are direct ports of the PSP 20th Anniversary editions. No date has been announced, though 5 and 6 are being delisted from Steam July 27th.

Fair warning, they don’t seem to run well on modern OSes/devices, Squenix hasn’t been maintaining them well in years.

Not too surprising those FF games would get desisted since they are doing the HD remakes of them all.   I was big into iOS gaming for a few years.  Back before most game release were freemium traps and you could get a premium standard game with no iAP.

I remember there were Windows Phone versions for FFI and FFIII, and that the FFIII achievements required you to grind every character to max level in every class. I did it (because I'm a sociopath, apparently). They were pretty decent ports all things considered - a little pricey for a phone game, but there weren't IAPs or anything.

Hah, I also played FFI on Windows Phone. I remember there was an achievement to beat the game under a certain time limit, but if you just started a new game and then loaded your save before the last boss and then beat it again that would also work.

I played Audiosurf on Zune HD too. :|

Will have to keep a look out on the next AI game. Never did play the first one but will have to give it at go since I enjoyed the Zero Escape games. Now look, I love heterochromia as much as the next person, and maybe it's just me, but it seems like everything coming out of Japan now has at least one character with this trait. It reminds me of when RE: was all the rage for naming conventions a couple years back. 

BTW Amazon has preorders up for Ai: The Somnium Files - Nirvana Initiative (Collector's Edition).

Ai: The Somnium Files - Nirvana Initiative (Collector's Edition)

PS5

Xbox

Switch

Yeah, neither are party members. Sounds like you're pretty early since both of them get ejected from the plot pretty fast as they go do other things.

Not sure who you're playing as but Yuito's story has a far more upbeat tone to it, especially the deeper you get into the game. Very much the Japanese-friendship is our power kind of thing you see in tons of stuff. Which character you're playing as determines which NPCs you spend more time with and Yuito does not interact with Shiden as much as Kasane does.

I picked Yuito just because I think he's more fun to play, especially the further you get into the game as more combat stuff unlocks. But after getting to know all the characters I am extra glad I started with him because I prefer the characters he spends more time with.
Kasane interacts with seemingly most of the characters thus far including the girls and Kagero. Only Nagi she didn't interact with too much. Arashi and him are actually party members currently as of chapter 4 while Gemma weirdly left with 0 explanation. It's weird how s links level in this so uneven. Kyoka is already rank 3 and Arashi and shiden rank 2. And Arashi only just unlocked s link stuff but got 2 seemingly back to back. Fire girls also rank 2. Tsugumi hasn't gotten any since the first one, same for Gemma. Kagero is rank 1. Since they have the like gifts stuff I am holding on to any that don't have hearts next to them.

I'm on chapter 6 currently and just got to the second city.

Thanks. This makes more sense. Sounds like the disc might require one to just install eacg game on their HDs to play. There are other PS4 games that do this so unlike what another user said, it shouldn't mean you need an Internet connection.

Now of course one would need that for patches, but I tend to just play without them so long as they're not game breaking which should be the case here given these are just ports of old games.

Gemma weirdly left with 0 explanation.
Yep, that is what I was getting at basically. Going forward you're not really going to see much of him playing as Kasane, Gemma plays a bigger role in Yuito's story. Same with a few of the other characters. They're not completely out of the story but your interaction with them is minimal.

The stories diverge quite a bit, more then I figured they would honestly.

Some decent offerings at play Asia with free shipping. Use coupon Gematsu for 5% off

End of eternity ps4

https://www.play-asia.com/end-of-eternity-4khd-edition-multi-language/13/70ecgf

Dead or school switch

https://www.play-asia.com/dead-or-school-multi-language/13/70cjvl

Is it wrong to pick up... PS4 CE    

https://www.play-asia.com/is-it-wrong-to-try-to-pick-up-girls-in-a-dungeon-infinite-combat/13/70csij

Folks have already mentioned Fatal frame, legend of Mana, saga frontier, atelier mysterious trilogy

P.S - pardon the goofy formatting. Not on pc

bread's done
Back