Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
How long does it take for Square-Enix Members points to post after you register a game? Haven't used the account in years and added a couple games a few hours ago and the points didn't post yet. Thanks!

Current released date for physical editions is Oct 8th. They had to push it back twice due to supply/distribution constraints and super duper promised it would not be pushed back again. 

Ys IX chapter 8 spoilers:

Still not done with the game, but in lieu of today's Smash Ultimate DLC announcement, I may need to delay my playthrough of Persona 5 Strikers after I've finished Ys IX and instead finally get to the Kingdom Hearts games lol such a trip Sora made it in. I've played like half of the first game years ago but dropped it, so time to rectify that.

I've never understood the commonplace love for KH. Characters and plotlines are an absolute mess. I think the pinnacle of gameplay for me was building my own ship out of gummes in (i think) KH2.

Ys IX chapter 8 spoilers
I whoosh'd on the reference, but yeah. For me it was a little disappointing because [customspoiler='lategame Ys IX spoiler']the homonculus notion has already been extensively used by falcom elsewhere.[/customspoiler]

I've never understood the commonplace love for KH. Characters and plotlines are an absolute mess. I think the pinnacle of gameplay for me was building my own ship out of gummes in (i think) KH2.

I whoosh'd on the reference, but yeah. For me it was a little disappointing because [customspoiler='lategame Ys IX spoiler']the homonculus notion has already been extensively used by falcom elsewhere.[/customspoiler]
It generally seems to appeal most to people who were within certain age ranges when they played their first game in the series. The whole IP is very much Tetsuya Nomura at his most tweenish.

I just noticed that all versions of Melty Blood: Type Lumina are out of stock everywhere.  They all sold out before release.  Hopefully they make more.

I've never watched the Ron Moore Battlestar Galactica, but I guess there was this race of artificial beings called Cylons that were hidden all throughout society, in the form of humans, and often these people didn't even know they were Cylons. When it was revealed in Ys IX that practically everyone was a homonculus, it just made me think of this scene from Robot Chicken that made fun of how BG would reveal that tons of characters were Cylons all along for drama. Like, the reveal was just sort of silly. But, I really really loved the scene where they fused the Crimson King and the real Adol. When the King started talking, I was so shocked! I was like, "Adol is talking!" I mean, it wasn't really Adol, I guess, but it was, you know? And now, they're one in the same. I really loved that.

Something I really like about Ys IX is that, even though I think it's one of the weaker entries in the Ys series in terms of narrative, it's very much a love letter to the character of Adol Christin. Since this is his latest adventure (both in series release order and the overall Ys timeline), it mentions his previous escapades often and calls attention to his unparalleled wanderlust and drive. Many of the other Ys games do this too, but IX feels like it's especially sentimental for its protagonist, especially with how much personality the dialogue choices give him. I still haven't reached the end yet, but I'm hopeful it's going to be a satisfying conclusion. Now, make the next Ys game an Adol-only adventure! Maybe, that rumored remake of Ys V...

I was rather let down with Y's IX. It's not a bad game by any means but XIII was a tough act to follow. Dana is a national treasure so not sure how you'd top that. 

It also reminded me of a minor gaming pet peeve of mine, wildly impractical level layouts that require many or all powers to travers them. Late game I felt the level traversal was based around the powers vs. the powers enhancing the traversal. Yes I get that it's a video game and that is part of the package but at the same time in my head I'm thinking, "How do the regular people get from point A to B in this place?"

It also reminded me of a minor gaming pet peeve of mine, wildly impractical level layouts that require many or all powers to travers them. Late game I felt the level traversal was based around the powers vs. the powers enhancing the traversal. Yes I get that it's a video game and that is part of the package but at the same time in my head I'm thinking, "How do the regular people get from point A to B in this place?"
Overall I still really liked IX and hold it pretty close to the level of VIII, which also had/has its problems.

But similar to what you mention - environment design was actually my biggest problem with IX. Barriers or invisible walls everywhere. Trying to work them into the narrative impressed no one. You eventually get wall run? That's cool. The game then designs almost every new environment afterward completely surrounded by concave walls? Less cool.

Platforming in 8 was a horrible experience so I dread having to do that in 9. Hopefully wall running whenever that's mandatory is easy to do.

Platforming in 8 was a horrible experience so I dread having to do that in 9. Hopefully wall running whenever that's mandatory is easy to do.
I beat the game a few months ago and I honestly don't remember that many platforming parts... really only remember that forest area with some parts that were really annoying.

I beat the game a few months ago and I honestly don't remember that many platforming parts... really only remember that forest area with some parts that were really annoying.
The forest was one of them. Then there was that Damn leaning tower, the other tower that they effing made me climb twice because of a sidequest for putting the birds egg back in the nest, the stupid boss battle with the kracken and finally the underground ruins with Dana segments. F that part specifically for the invisible enemies shooting you while trying to get through the cube section for example. Or that hellish invisible walls and platform section.

I like 8 but it was like playing a slightly old PS2 title regarding the platforming.

Thankfully there was not an excessive amount of it.

amazon has 2 targeted promos going. 5$ credit for watching a show on amazon prime and 10$ off a purchase if you order to one of those amazon pick up places. 

Rune Factory 5 Earthmate Edition announced, will be $79.99:

Rune-Factory-5_2021_10-07-21_046-768x636.jpg

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/10/rune-factory-5-earthmate-edition-announced-for-north-america

Also, RIP Koichi Sugiyama. Dragon Quest won't be the same without you.

He meant VIII.
Yeah good catch, VIII is what I was referring to and not paying attention. I only remember a few platforming sections in VIII, mostly that forest, dark cave area, and that stupid Kraken area. IX on the other hand, it's a very vertical game and really leans into the traversal abilities, especially the later sections and yes.... so many concave walls. Just why? It did have some good character designs though.

Watched a prime movie today Fatal Fury, and didn't get the $5 credit
Is there anything else you need to do?

Does the Mary Skelter Finale free DLC end tonight with the 10% digital discount or are they always free? I saw that Part 2 still had free DLC on the Switch, but I haven't played any or kept up since the first one on the Vita so IDK. Thanks!

Edit: I'd rather wait until I get a physical copy if I can, I just forgot about it and saw the sale was ending, thought it might be a launch thing.

Full English translation for the PSP exclusive Suikoden game was released.  Gives me a reason to boot up the PSTV.  It can’t be worse than the DS game, can it?

Looks cool. Just saying but do these games have decent gameplay? I like the art for sure.

For releases this week for VNs Ninki Seiyuu: How to Make a Pop Voice Actress was released on Johren from Shiravune. It's about a company that is short on staff so the main character is hired to collect scripts from sound production companies and bring them back to the office. He encounters 3 different voice actresses struggling in some way, and romantic comedy fun ensues. One of them is a full blooded sister if you're into that. There is a 20% discount now, and these games don't go on sale very often.

Johren (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Looks cool. Just saying but do these games have decent gameplay? I like the art for sure.
Picked it up earlier today but haven't had the chance to play it yet. I did play their previous game Midnight Castle Succubus and that was a solid Castlevania inspired game that can stand on its own two feet if you set the adult content aside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9NyLswWPE

Anyone who pre-ordered Fatal Frame physically via Play-Asia know if you'll be able to get the Ryza pre-order bonus since the Asia version doesn't launch till November 30 and it says you have till November 11th to get it for free?

Anyone who pre-ordered Fatal Frame physically via Play-Asia know if you'll be able to get the Ryza pre-order bonus since the Asia version doesn't launch till November 30 and it says you have till November 11th to get it for free?
I think you would need another profile with an Asia eshop or something and just claim it there before they start charging for it

I think you would need another profile with an Asia eshop or something and just claim it there before they start charging for it
I meant to say the Asia version of the game doesn't ship till November 30th. Or would I be able to claim the DLC without the game?

Neptunia x SENRAN KAGURA: Ninja Wars Limited Edition

From IFI was delayed to November 8th but they will provide a Digital Code to play on release date

Pretty dope

Neptunia x SENRAN KAGURA: Ninja Wars Limited Edition

From IFI was delayed to November 8th but they will provide a Digital Code to play on release date

Pretty dope
Got the same email, same thing happened with Arise. Love to see it, wish some of the limited print companies would follow suit.

Caligula Effect 2 CE was hit by delays also. I'm beginning to think this delayed-game shit is pretty much now just the norm. Unfortunate.

Honestly it doesn't bother me that much as long as the companies make a reasonable effort to communicate and make amends where warranted. With Arise and Neptunia x Senran, I get to play the full game and have the option of keeping the CE sealed. Really feels like they're going above and beyond in those cases. Plus I'm being kept up-to-date and have pretty high confidence my items will arrive undamaged. 

Like I noted earlier, the limited print model (and LRG specifically) is moreso what does bother me. I won't rant here (there are other threads for that, after all) but it really feels like night and day in how customers are treated.

Caligula Effect 2 CE was hit by delays also. I'm beginning to think this delayed-game shit is pretty much now just the norm. Unfortunate.
Yeah, they've been showing the port of Los Angeles in the news recently and how backed up container ships are for unloading and then how the trucking industry is short of drivers to move stuff. So... at least for the moment expect delays. I think it's possible Nintendo is shipping carts by air to publishers that do their retail packing in the states... which is why regular switch games are showing up from LRG before the PS4 versions (which standard copies are all retail packed overseas by sony). I would imagine some of these smaller traditional publishers also pack over seas and then slow ship by boat.

EDIT:

Not sure how good a deal this is but Gamefly has used copies of Ys IX Monstrum Nox Pact Edition for Switch at $39.99 .
https://www.gamefly.com/game/ys-ix-monstrum---nox-pact-edition/5024812

Both are alright sales if you missed the GameStop buy 3 G2 sale. Though disgaea usually drops pretty quick. Ys 9 will probably be hard to get cheap especially since gs no longer has the 20-30% off used for new games purchases iirc.

Waiting for either a PS4 or Steam version. It runs just so poorly on Switch (from what all the reviews and videos I have watched), that I cannot see getting that version of the game. Hoping it's a timed exclusive.
Ps4 version is already out in japan and probably never coming here because Soyny's SJW localization brigade is preventing it, so best we can hope for is a PC version

It's ESRB T rating, I doubt that's the case this time. Sony was also cracking down on releases in Japan with their extra content restrictions which makes me more doubtful that's the case here.

I love my Switch but I hate how some games run and look on it. Some like RAD play OK enough but are pixelated ugliness. Some like Disgaea 6 are lucky they are turn based because it runs poorly. I fear for Rune Factory 5 as well, because if I remember the JPN Switch release didn't run too well. Unoptimized poop shouldn't be the norm.

bread's done
Back