Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I was the opposite with 13 sentinels, I thought it was a pretty good VN with great artwork. The battles I found uninteresting so I just breezed through them on easy with interceptors and turrets.

My biggest issue with the game as a VN was a [customspoiler='storytelling method']. Namely, the game straight up lies to you, frequently, in the first half of the game to set up plot reveals later. And it's not just done through characters who view things incorrectly. In the game's database menu/catalogue it directly delivers false information to you. For me this made plot reveals feel a little cheap afterward.[/customspoiler]

Edit: In other VN news, a new Utawarerumono title was announced by aquaplus.
Oh neat. Hopefully it's gameplay and such is built on and improved from mask of deception and truths. As I quite liked those and some of the changes it made from the anime.

NEO: The World Ends With You for both PS4 & Switch is down to $29.99 on Amazon.

Just my 2 cents but the Switch version seems to be sold out at every other retailer and Square-Enix announced this morning that it "has underperformed [their] initial expectations" so it might end up going out-of-print fairly soon - I'd grab a Switch copy while you still can.

You thought 13 Sentinels was overrated but not Nier Automata? I thought Nier was overrated because it has a top-tier waifu who has a lot of hentai for online. Time travel stories are always a loopy mess, and 13 Sentinels doesn't differ in that regard.
I'm just sitting here wondering what time traveling? If you finished it and think they're time traveling, you've missed everything.

Mangagamer has their Fall sale page up here. Generally it's games that are on Steam as well.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

They had 3 new announcements from Anime NYC.

The Pillagers of Raillore (NSFW)

Uchikano – Living With My Sister (NSFW)

UUUltraC (NSFW)

Pillagers is an action HD VN by 3rd Eye of Sorcery Jokers fame. I'm generally not too much into these games, but the graphics look nice and superpowers are aight.  Likely buy on release.

Uchikano - Living With My Sister is from Moonstone and has the little sister move in with the brother after the parents get a virus. Lots of naughtiness ensues. I'm a little medium on these types of games, but it could be OK. If cheap enough will buy on release.

UUUltraC is a boys love game from ADELTA of Hashime of the Old Book Town fame. It has kaiju and wrestling and looks interesting at least. I don't read a lots of boys love, but this one looks interesting. Likely will get on a bigger sale.

Also forgot during my last info dump that Sekai Project/Denpasoft released Re;Lord 2 ~The witch of Cologne and black cat~. This is on Steam and has an 18+ patch available for it.

Steam (NSFW)

18+ Patch (NSFW)

Denpasoft (NSFW)

NEO: The World Ends With You for both PS4 & Switch is down to $29.99 on Amazon.

Just my 2 cents but the Switch version seems to be sold out at every other retailer and Square-Enix announced this morning that it "has underperformed [their] initial expectations" so it might end up going out-of-print fairly soon - I'd grab a Switch copy while you still can.
Dammit, I wanted this but it's already sold out.

Dammit, I wanted this but it's already sold out.
It's also available on the Square Enix online store for $30 (plus shipping):

https://store.na.squ...with-you-switch

It went OOS when I tried to order it there this morning (before Amazon restocked) so no clue how long it will remain available.

I remember paying $80 after shipping for TWEWY Neo

By the way another Neptunia game got announced. Just a famitsu leak right now.

It's also available on the Square Enix online store for $30 (plus shipping):

https://store.na.squ...with-you-switch

It went OOS when I tried to order it there this morning (before Amazon restocked) so no clue how long it will remain available.
Thanks, sucks paying $6 for shipping but I guess I might as well buy it now vs risk it disappearing like the first one on the NS did.

Wasn't when I posted. Guess I should have bought it.

EDIT: Seems to be back up at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092BR7B4J
Yeah I checked BBY and it was sold out when I ordered at SE store... but of course it comes back on Amazon now.:whistle2:/

On the plus side, my 15 games or whatever games (2 orders) from Namco Store sale shipped. Probably not great prices on those but whatever.

Thanks for mentioning the Namco store, may not get anything but cool to look through what they had. It reminded me about Ridge Racer Unbounded.. I've been on a Ridge Racer kick after that DF Retro Ridge Racer Part 2 video. It's the same price on Steam directly, though.

Bandai Namco messed up my Repede figurine & Pazuzu editions . Got this response after they sat on the order forever & I asked why it’s not shipped

After deeper investigation this may be caused since your order's shipment request were not correctly received by the team in charge the warehouse and during this time the stock for the items above has run out.

Their reliability took a nosedive in my book

VenusBlood Hollow International was released by JAST USA on their store. The Steam game is currently under review, so it may be delayed or not pass review. 10% off on release.

JAST Store (NSFW)

They're also having a JAST Cyber sale until the 11-28-2021. Every day they have one game discounted more. Today's game is Onigokko! I liked this one and thought it was fun and recommend it at the sale price of 45% off today only, so buy it if you want it. Discount only shows when added to cart.

Onigokko! (NSFW)

JAST Cyber Sale (NSFW)

Neo TWEWY $15 PS4/NS at walmart

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
Oh FFS...I was psyched to get it for $29.99 from Amazon yesterday and now I see this. :lol:
Well Wal-Mart wouldn't let me add it to my cart even when it was full price (seemed to be completely unavailable for pickup or shipping in my area?) so I doubt I could've taken advantage of the deal anyway. Oh well.

Jump Force plus the character passes are pretty cheap in a variety of places right now, presumably due to the fact that it's being delisted and the servers scuttled next year, but I was wondering if anyone whose played it before knows what some of the stuff being discontinued is referring to specifically before I go in.

Among the various multiplayer stuff that you'd typically expect, three items stand out to me:

- Accepting Rewards from the Reward Counter
- In-game Store
- Premium Shop

What are these, does anyone know?

Jump Force plus the character passes are pretty cheap in a variety of places right now, presumably due to the fact that it's being delisted and the servers scuttled next year, but I was wondering if anyone whose played it before knows what some of the stuff being discontinued is referring to specifically before I go in.

Among the various multiplayer stuff that you'd typically expect, three items stand out to me:

- Accepting Rewards from the Reward Counter
- In-game Store
- Premium Shop

What are these, does anyone know?
To unlock gears for custom character, they are purely aesthetic

All three of them do this? What's the difference? Premium shop kinda sounds like it requires real world money.
In-game shop requires coins can be grinded with main campaign. A good chunk of moveset and clothing items available here.

There are movesets (some are slightly better), clothing items, emotes and chat phrase exclusived to premium.

Clothings and accessories do not give you advantage whatsoever, its all up to how you build your character and play the game.

SD Gundam Generation Cross Rays Platinum Edition PS4 on sale for $25 at Playasia, price good through the weekend; all time low if you want to play on console.

Unlike the Switch version, DLCs are on a redeemable code, no expiration date though.

The in-game shop closing is the main iffy one. You can buy things with in-game currency like special moves and some minor enhancement items, right?

Jump Force for the right price is fun enough. I think I got the Ultimate Edition for about $20 and added Yoruichi later. You definitely want to be playing on an SSD if possible, it loads back into the multiplayer hub world after every match (even story or offline matches) and it takes a bit.. I originally started on an Xbox One S when it was on Game Pass and it was brutal. Series X helps a lot

Anyone that ordered stuff form the Xseed store sale- have your orders shipped? I haven't gotten diddly squat since my order confirm email... 

Mangagamer Black Friday sale till December 4th. This includes physical items.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

JAST USA's bigger discount game is You and Me and Her aka Totono. I do recommend this one, though I do think it was highly overrated. Still a very interesting read. 40% off total and must add to cart.

JAST USA (NSFW)

It's clunky and silly and maybe not the best in the series, but it is far more entertaining than I expected. I missed out on the DLC being free shortly after release.
If you're seriously telling me the older Disaster Report games are better I need to find a.... PS2 or something cus God damn DR4 was fun

35% off Closed Game on JAST USA only today. Add to cart to apply discount. I know not everyone cares about these discounts, but lots of these games aren't on Steam and rarely go on sale.

JAST (NSFW)

35% off Closed Game on JAST USA only today. Add to cart to apply discount. I know not everyone cares about these discounts, but lots of these games aren't on Steam and rarely go on sale.

JAST (NSFW)
Yeah this one's never coming to Steam lol. Great game if you're a fan of Bible Black or any of the other games from Sei Shoujo. Thanks for sharing.

Hello friends! How's it going? ;)

celebration-anime.gif

Finished Persona 5 Strikers last night, then decided to try and get the platinum trophy today. Upon reading up on the requirements for it, however, I noped on out of there. That grind for max bonds is not worth the time I could be using to do something, anything else.

Anyway, I give it a solid 8/10. Gameplay was extremely fun, resembling more of a very polished ARPG than a standard musou game, which is a good thing. Enemies could be a bit damage spongey, but getting into a good rhythm of targeting weaknesses and activating perfect dodge counters turned slogs into satisfying victories. Battles against dire and Velvet Room request shadows were very tense, if not a little too long. Favorite character to play as was hands-down Wolf. I watched that crazy SOB just chew through powerful shadows' down gauges through a combination of Fury and Heat Riser.

Story-wise, it was fine, though I preferred Royal's take on the idea of
an all-powerful being granting the masses a utopia it believes is best for them. Maruki was a much more sympathetic character than Konoe (though I enjoyed Konoe as a villain and wished they showed more of him in the lead up to his Jail), and while EMMA is a decent commentary on the dangers of allowing technology to rule your life, her emergence as a god felt a bit rushed and the explanation for how she achieved this was confusing and contrived. Moreover, the not-at-all-shocking reveal of Ichinose as a villain lacked impact, since the game decided to infodump her tragic backstory all at once instead of building to it throughout the game.
Overall, the entire narrative really just felt like a retread of Persona 5, but it was saved by the usual chemistry between the Phantom Thieves and the wonderful Zenkichi. Having an adult's perspective was welcome in a story that centers on high school kids and I adored his personality and English voice acting.

Next up is the very not niche Pokemon Brilliant Diamond. I'm sure I'll immediately out-level everything and get bored. But hey, my Sword save data will get me Jirachi, which is one of my favorite Pokemon, so if I'm going to blow through this game, I may as well do it with a hyper-cute bundle of wishes

bread's done
Back