Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
id try again for sure

ive strong armed best buy into price matching out of stock things and preorders before via multiple attempts

I was able to price match Caligula 2 with Best Buy using the online chat. The rep I got was named Patsy. Had no problems getting it done.

PlayAsia is running their Lunar sale & a bunch of games I've had my eye on are listed as part of the sale. But most of them have no sale price or discount, & the ones discounted were already that way before the Lunar sale. Anyone know what's up with that?

PlayAsia is running their Lunar sale & a bunch of games I've had my eye on are listed as part of the sale. But most of them have no sale price or discount, & the ones discounted were already that way before the Lunar sale. Anyone know what's up with that?
They're not really trying this year

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

I had Saga Frontier from an earlier order (that hasn't shipped yet because they're waiting for an item) and it's actually $2 more expensive now.

Not sure if I’m getting anything, but saw mention of coupon codes.  Looked it up and found “censored” for 5% off.  Is that the best available?

So I just remembered that I never redeemed that free Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars PS4 code that Idea Factory emailed to everyone whose special edition was delayed. I had no intention of redeeming it because I was fine with waiting for the physical game to come in the mail. Now, I don't know if it's still valid (there's no expiration date), but if it is, I don't want it going to waste, so if anyone wants it, they can have it on me. Just PM me your favorite Neptunia or Senran Kagura character and I'll reply with the code. This is an awesome forum and I wanted to do something nice. Of course, if the code is indeed expired, well it's the thought that counts, right? O:)

EDIT: Claimed. Enjoy it, beenaround!

I stuck it out with a GameStop order for Caligula Effect 2 - I ordered two copies to get free shipping, but also in case one was trash condition. To my pleasant surprise, both were sealed

Any guesses when Play Asia free shipping sale might happen again?  Only time I’ve purchased from them was during one of those, think I’ll just take my chances and see if that happens again soon.  Like others have mentioned, this current sale doesn’t seem very good, and shipping kills it for bigger items.

Any guesses when Play Asia free shipping sale might happen again? Only time I’ve purchased from them was during one of those, think I’ll just take my chances and see if that happens again soon. Like others have mentioned, this current sale doesn’t seem very good, and shipping kills it for bigger items.
Summer likely. That's when I usually order. They also do one around their anniversary which is in November I believe. I don't recall other times.

the switch version of maglam lord is already sold out ^

ps4 version is still in stock as of this comment. 

Amazon is also doing a B2G1 now:

https://www.amazon.com/promotion/psp/AW4J3K2VIRZ7L?ref=psp_pc_re_Video+Games

Maglam Lord Switch is still in stock for them and included on the page:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LGF4276?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref=psp_pc_a_AW4J3K2VIRZ7L

Another interesting thing included in theirs is the Shin Megami Tensei V Premium Edition:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097PCQ9F9?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref=psp_pc_a_AW4J3K2VIRZ7L&th=1

Did this sell out at one point? Seems to be in stock at GameStop too:

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/nintendo-switch/products/shin-megami-tensei-v-premium-edition----nintendo-switch/11149944.html

Amazon is also doing a B2G1 now:

Another interesting thing included in theirs is the Shin Megami Tensei V Premium Edition:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097PCQ9F9?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref=psp_pc_a_AW4J3K2VIRZ7L&th=1
Not gonna lie, I returned two of these to Amazon. They've got a ton of damaged units they're selling as 'new' because they keep shipping these paper box CEs to people inside of plastic bags. Not even bubble mailers, but plastic sheaths. Soft and smooshed corners galore so buyer beware.

I rarely return anything to Amazon either.

B2G1 deals are nice... but I'm still pretty much set with what I want in my game collection for the moment.   No point in me buying anything right now.

B2G1 deals are nice... but I'm still pretty much set with what I want in my game collection for the moment. No point in me buying anything right now.
I used the Target deal to get PLA, 'cause $40 is my buy in on Switch games, but yea, going to be low buy for bit.

Ya I mainly snagged Arceus and threw in Metroid and Pokemon mystery dungeon since Nintendo stuff typically doesn't go on sale. Plus GameStop derped up my preorder for Arceus and then cancelled it.

Many new release dates for VNs coming out soonish.

There is a Mangagamer Valentine's Day Sale (NSFW). Lots of good games here.

First of all Evenicle 2 from Alicesoft is coming to multiple platforms on February 22nd, 2022. There is a pre-order discount on the game. This was rejected by Steam, so get it somewhere else like JAST USA or Mangagamer. The first was fun, so I'll get to this one eventually.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

JAST (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Mangagamer are releasing Erovoice! from CLOCKUP on February 24th, 2022. This is from the same developer of Eroge! Sex and Games Make Sexy Games. That was a good nukige and I'm sure this one will be as well. Pre-order discount as well.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

JAST USA are releasing Overly Qualified Ms. Mary from Pajama EX on February 23rd, 2022. It is a nukige about an American exchange student with big boobs who the MC wants to meet. Looks OK. There is a pre-order discount.

JAST USA (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Lapacian released an expanded all ages version of Cyanotype Daydream -The Girl Who Dreamed the World- on February 9th, 2022 (or sometime else in February). This seems OK enough, although I would prefer the 18+ version, but this is their new mantra. Their is a launch discount for a week. This was an 18+ version, but has had quite a few changes in this version shown below:

All-ages version contains new (and altered) content that is not found in 18+ version:
- Scenario revisions for all cases
- New epilogue for CASE-0
- 2 bonus scenes per CASE for a total of 8 new bonus scenes
- Full HD resolution
- Full ending song
- In-game glossary with 216 entries
- Music mode with translated lyrics
- 28 new CGs
- 4 new movie CGs
- 4 new backgrounds
- School uniform sprite for Hatano Rin -> black dress sprite in Case-1. Also applies to CGs. (Example)
- The setting for Case-1 has been changed from high school to university only in the English version

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

JAST USA also released an interesting tower defense kind of side scrolling Querate game Duel Princess. This was on Switch, but removed and was rejected from Steam. This is more lewd than anything, but supposedly fun.

JAST USA (NSFW)

Live A Live and Chrono Cross remaster holy shit !!

Chrono-Cross-Remaster-Heading-to-Switch-710x400.jpeg

LIVE-A-LIVE-Remake-02-09-22-1280x720.jpg

https://www.siliconera.com/live-a-live-heading-to-the-switch/

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/02/live-a-live-hd-2d-remake-announced-for-switch

https://www.siliconera.com/chrono-cross-radical-dreamers-edition-remaster-heading-to-switch/

Another game from the Nvidia leak. So we should see a Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster and Final Fantasy IX remake later.

And there's Xenoblade Chronicles 3.  Looks to be more of the same.  I just hope there's a way to play it at 1080p at some point.

Yeah Live A Live is a shocker but a welcome one. Wish they had put more effort into Chrono Cross but at least it can reach more people now.

damn Chrono Cross is only $19.99 digitally.  (meaning probably no physical).  Guess it won't be getting much of a remaster afterall...

New Features in the Remastered Edition
・3D models converted to HD
・Refined character illustrations
・Higher-quality background music
・Switch enemy encounters on or off
・Background filter feature
・Battle enhancement features to make combat easier
・Auto-battle function
・Switch between imitation pixel font and HD font
・Change screen resolution

I'm amazed that XC3 is happening... and dropping in September.  Usually the "Just one more thing" item at the end of these presentations is a bit of a swing and a miss for me, but that was out of the park.  At best I thought XC:X was a possibility while we waited a few more years for XC3 to happen... hopefully next they'll port it to the switch next so at least we can have the entire XC series on one system and I'll have one less reason to care about the Wii-U.

damn Chrono Cross is only $19.99 digitally. (meaning probably no physical). Guess it won't be getting much of a remaster afterall...

・Auto-battle function
This is disappointing. Hopefully asia gets an english release. I just have no interest in digital. Almost every other remaster of theirs has had an asian english release so I'm somewhat optimistic but I don't see it up on playasia yet...

I don't think any recent S-E remasters haven't had the Asian-English releases. I know I bought Legend of Mana, and there was RS2/3, Saga Frontier, FF8/9, DQ1-3, etc... I'm guessing the price would be $35 plus whatever Play-Asia will rob from you in shipping costs. 

Final Fantasy 7-9 on the Switch didn't get a physical release until much later, so if Play Asia doesn't have one up by now for Chrono Cross, there probably won't be one for awhile. They may wait for another remaster (maybe Chrono Trigger?) and bundle together down the road.

I don't think any recent S-E remasters haven't had the Asian-English releases. I know I bought Legend of Mana, and there was RS2/3, Saga Frontier, FF8/9, DQ1-3, etc... I'm guessing the price would be $35 plus whatever Play-Asia will rob from you in shipping costs.
While this is technically true, I'm really hoping Chrono Cross actually gets a PS4 Asian version if one is announced at all. I'm still salty over Saga Frontier's PS4 version getting canceled.

damn Chrono Cross is only $19.99 digitally. (meaning probably no physical). Guess it won't be getting much of a remaster afterall...

・Auto-battle function
It looks like they’re doing less than they did for the FF8 remaster, which also cost $20, so it’s kind of a bummer for anyone who already owns it and still has a convenient way to play it. I’m happy it’s getting out there again and they haven't done anything to mess with it, but I already own two copies and don’t see much advantage to owning this over the digital copy on my PS3 and PSP.

That may change if somebody mods the Steam version a la FFIX’s moguri mod, though.

While this is technically true, I'm really hoping Chrono Cross actually gets a PS4 Asian version if one is announced at all. I'm still salty over Saga Frontier's PS4 version getting canceled.
Same, but I think Squenix is starting to favor Switch for their physical releases. Dungeon Encounters also got a Switch-only Asian release despite the game releasing for PlayStation as well. Just saves me money, I guess.

ohhh...

Spirit Hunter: Death Mark for steam is on sale at fanatical.

looks interesting... I should buy it.

tried to redeem key...error, product already own. whoops

so, anyone want Spirit Hunter: Death Mark for steam?

i'll take a million bucks

(jk...it is free, just reply to this post letting me know you want it)

edit: gone. thank you!

so, anyone want Spirit Hunter: Death Mark for steam?

i'll take a million bucks

(jk...it is free, just reply to this post letting me know you want it)
I'd definitely appreciate having it if available. Going to do a lot more VN's once I get my steam deck in a month or so (hopefully).

The fanatical sale for death mark is actually worse than it was in previous sales/bundles. As I think it was like 1-3 bucks a couple times. Thought about getting it but passed since horror type games like that aren't really my thing.

Found Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 at my local Gamestop for $20. Picked it up since it’s oop, but still on the fence. Anyone played and liked the gameplay/story? I see the reviews are a bit mixed.

My friend tried to play the first one but it was unplayable due to the crashing and such issues. I've heard 2 is similar so I never bothered to pick either of those up.

bread's done
Back